• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because the experience is about the auditory/visual stimulation. They've never highlighted themselves as performers when playing live, which I have no problem with.
Not being performers in a live performance, to me, is kind of a problem. They just don't seem enthusiastic about it and that kind of rubs down on me the same way I get super aggressive if the band is aggressive on stage.

Looking at the latest YouTube bootlegs, yeah I rather not be going to the shows but listen to them at home and bring myself in that tool / meditational state.

I guess it also comes down to my listening equipment being higher end that I most likely get a worse sound experience live (outside of Steven Wilson and his quadrophonic live set up), so I'm "only left" with a Lightshow in regards to tool. I tend to go to shows knowing that the sound aspect is going to be worse then what I can get at home and seek out a good and engaging performance.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I did it. I experienced the whole album last night. I wish I could write down those feelings that I had. But I forgot my pen, I guess.

I'm just glad that I've lived long enough and had the chance to experience this masterpiece. I wanna be more specific about these 4 wondeful creatures, but that's just pointless. They're just not human.

Best TOOL album? I mean, I never had best TOOL album in my mind tbh. This album was just a TOOL-tier piece of art, like their other works. But one of the best albums of all time? Hell yes. Hell fucking yes.

And I'm not even biased. So don't you dare point that at me. Don't you dare!

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I always need a little time to get into new Tool albums so I didn't want to comment until I had plenty of time to digest this. After a week, listening to the album several times (probably 10-15 times) I have to say this is probably my least favorite of the 4 full flegded albums. Not that it's a bad record, it just doesn't live up the the other ones for me. It's kind of like a blowjob, it's always nice to get one but some are clearly better than others...

- The songs are too long for what they offer. Yes it's progressive rock/metal, songs can be long and that's ok. But most of the songs are not brining anything new to the table in their 3rd reprise of the motive/riff/melody. The variations are often meaningless and I find myself thinking "Oh yeah, it repeats once more" and drifting off with my thoughts while the song goes on.
- It's missing the Maynard glue for me. I usually get into Tool songs through the vocals and these are far and in between at times. There are a few nice moments, sure, but for a record running almost 80 minutes to have 3 or 4 really great vocal moments just isn't enough for me.
- There's little variation in style. I know some prefer it this way, but I liked the variation on 10000 days. There's probably just so much you can do with their sound, but it feels very samey to me.
- This probably a stupid complaint for many, but the album feels too polished. Every note is played perfectly, you can hardly hear them changing grips or any sound from handling the instuments (it probably took countless recording sessions to get tracks sounding this clean) but this takes away some of the charm for me. It sometimes sounds like you are listening to computer generated music which is not man-made. Everything feels too perfect. Great craftsmanship, I give them that, but it's almost too perfect for it's own good.

So after a week I already started listening to other stuff, and this usually doesn't happen with a new Tool album for me. I'm already kind of bored by the record, and I never expected this going in.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
- This probably a stupid complaint for many, but the album feels too polished. Every note is played perfectly, you can hardly hear them changing grips or any sound from handling the instuments (it probably took countless recording sessions to get tracks sounding this clean) but this takes away some of the charm for me. It sometimes sounds like you are listening to computer generated music which is not man-made. Everything feels too perfect. Great craftsmanship, I give them that, but it's almost too perfect for it's own good.
You are of course entitled to your opinion, and everyone reacts differently to the sound. But this part is a pretty weird take here. Listen again.

You can hear Adam's sudden pick adjustments. You can hear/feel the texture and intensity of the drums and Danny's control over it better than ever before. Seriously, pick a track here and then go back and listen to 10,000 Days. It's incredible playing either way, but the recording quality here is such that you can feel the human factor more on this record. You can hear when Justin pops in the base and it's ever so slightly off rhythm, but they bring it in. You can hear, at certain points in the record, where they make tempo adjustments and they all kind of glue together to make it work.

10,000 Days in particular is very loud, compressed, and pristine. You can't feel the texture of the drums as easily, or the changes in loudness and intensity of playing that their instruments take on, or Adam's playing intensity, because they compressed it all a bit more to get the loud vibe. The one song that really bucks this trend though on 10,000 Days is the title track. But then, for example, when it comes in, it's like a switch, and it's all loudness. I think there's probably more of a "roughness" sound on their older albums before 10,000 Days (and perhaps before Lateralus) but this is in keeping with recording techniques of the industry, and not too different from their last two records before. They also sound "perfect" in a lot of ways, and it's just the way most bands record nowadays (recording separately, tracking later, etc.).

In Invincible can hear the skins rattling, their tune. Get to the point where Danny plays this choppy drumming style in the middle of the song. Also in Descending, they do a little bit of a tempo slowdown/buildup in the middle of the tune. It's pretty noticeable and sounds similar to the way they've handled things in the past. This is all human sounding, and it's incredibly good control. I mean if you want fingers scraping on the strings or something then, well, okay, I guess that particular sound isn't there, lol. Adam's also not using his mechanical devices as much and instead goes for clear guitar effects for his solos instead of mechanical, weird noise sounds. So, technically speaking, there are cleaner sound effects used in general, more dynamic placement on the drums, excellent tracking, etc.

Edit: And I was thinking, in an industry where most rock music that has come out for the past 10 years gets quantized to a click track during mixing... everything. And Tool makes this pretty organic sounding record in 2019 and yet, "it sounds too good," "computerized," "not manmade" -- Lmao I'm done.

Last edited:

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, don't agree at all with the too perfect take, one of the first things that jumped out at me was being able to clearly hear plectrums hitting strings in quieter parts and there are tiny timing errors and a few pops here and there plus as mentioned above, the whole thing sounds very dynamic and organic.

If anything I'd say Maynard's parts are too perfectly produced. While I like what is there, (as many have mentioned) it feels a bit tacked on, perhaps a tad disinterested, bordering on phoned in. Treatments are nice though. Which is saying something as the vocals aren't *bad* by any stretch, just not feeling them as much as previous efforts.
Pneuma bangs vocally tho.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
wow just catching up on the Taylor Swift vs Tool stuff.....its hilarious. it is absolutely amazing Tool sells at much as it does considering the type of music they make.

Oct 30, 2017
finally just got around to listening to this, as someone who loved aenima and lateralus back in the day but thought 10000 days was very boring.

well, this sure is a tool album! but i like it more than 10000 days at least. invincible slaps.

honestly i think the comparative lack of maynard is for the better.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019

I know reaction vids aren't Era's favorite thing but I think these guys are pretty fun and it was really cool to see them experience this song for the first time.

My absolute fave reaction channel. Also enjoy Ajayll and Zachary Campbell.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Pneuma is the song of the year. A quick listening of the album had Fear, Invincible, Descending before it, but no.
Pneuma is the shit.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
My only complain is Maynard's part. It should have been more. His vocals/lyrics are orgasmic as always, I don't mind lack of screaming at all, I just wanted to feel his voice more than I did through the whole album. There are some parts in the album that blew me away with his voice/melodies/vocal patterns. Just go and hear this part of 7empest again:

Control your delusion
Insane and striking at random
Victim of your certainty
And therefore, your doubt's not an option
Blameless, the tempest will be just that
So try as you may, feeble, your attempt to atone
Your words to erase all the damage cannot

The way he says "become pneuma" or this part:

Bound to this flesh
This guise, this mask, this dream

Wake up, remember
We are born of one breath, one word
We are all one spark, sun becoming

The opening of Culling voices, Fear Inoculum. The ending of Invincible.

It's just Maynard doing Maynard things. Doing things that made me a huge TOOL fan at first place. Man I want Maynard to be all over the place in the next album, please!

All of them did a fantastic job in this album, but Danny was the one with the consistency. He was an absolute octopus in the entire album.

Nov 7, 2017
Welp im in on culling voices now, listening with good headphones you can hear all the complex layers coming from all sides. Awesome stuff

Roland Garros

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 9, 2019
Reviews in general would be more interesting if every reviewer threw shade at the fans of the content being reviewed. I love being called a pseudo-intellectual neck beard for listening to Tool and would be very interested to hear what other generalizations could be leveled at me based on my entertainment habits.

😂 So good.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still trying to digest this album but it doesn't feel like it has its own personality like laterus or aenima. I also feel like half the songs are ... inflated? Like they're going through the motions and are like "we can make a 13 minute song.. because!"

I also feel Maynard is kind of missing from this album. Feels like there should be more vocals but there aren't.

I dunno. Gonna give it a few more weeks. These are some good songs but it doesn't feel like an album, if that makes sense.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This album is everything I wanted it to be. Been a fan since middle school when Aenima released. Finally getting to see them live for the first time in Pittsburgh in November.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still trying to digest this album but it doesn't feel like it has its own personality like laterus or aenima. I also feel like half the songs are ... inflated? Like they're going through the motions and are like "we can make a 13 minute song.. because!"

I also feel Maynard is kind of missing from this album. Feels like there should be more vocals but there aren't.

I dunno. Gonna give it a few more weeks. These are some good songs but it doesn't feel like an album, if that makes sense.
Totally feel the same way after listening to the album 3 or 4 times all the way through already. I just dont even know what or where I would rate it because I just feel so incredibly off by the this release. It's not terrible, it's not their best work, it just feels wandering, not in a insightful way, but almost feels like the album got lost in the process of the creation of it.

Still going to listen to the album a few more times.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought 3 copies (1 digital, 2 special editions) so everyone can personally thank me for the No. 1 spot.

Eyes down, please

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
wow just catching up on the Taylor Swift vs Tool stuff.....its hilarious. it is absolutely amazing Tool sells at much as it does considering the type of music they make.

I say this all the time. Their second single ever was about child sexual abuse and had the phrase "shit, blood, and cum on my hands". That song has to be one of the darkest ever made. It's fucking crazy they ever became as popular as they are.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
That's funny, my experience is similar to some of you: even though I still listen to the full album on the regular, Pneuma is the one song I put on if I want a quick hit. All-time great Tool track. I wasn't sure I could call any of the tracks that after the first week, but I'm already putting that song in the top tier.

I have a 10 min drive to work so it's the perfect song to put on

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone expect a Taylor Swift fan to know or care about Tool? You might as well be upset that Drake fans aren't familiar with Neurosis.

Last edited:

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
Got to hear the album, and let me say this is exactly what I wanted, my first impression is definitely better than when 10,000 days came out, while Is ee some people not liking an album full of long songs, I have to admit this is by far the thing I like the most about the album.

I have to say the 7emtest is just so good, and parts of the song reminds me of old school Tool. but there isnt a song that I dislike or dont want to go for a second hearing, yesterday I was on the road driving and had that baby blasting, sweet sweet music.

Hopefully with the apparent success this album is having we can have more Tool more often instead of waiting a decade for new Tool material.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have always hated the "you got to listen to it this many times" "the more you listen the better it gets" type of commentary, can't think of much music in my 42 years that fits, but this one it's honestly true.

Probably has something to do with only 7 tracks being at least 10 minutes apiece make it take longer to digest, but I seriously am liking it more and more.

I think after Pneuma I am starting to really dig Culling Voices believe it or not.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
😂

Now that it's been a couple weeks I cannot get enough of this album. The interludes can go in the fucking bin with most all their other interludes not called Intermission. The first weekend I listened a few times then threw it in the mega TOOL mix, this past week I've listened to only FI, my music and the bad ass "oldies" hip hop station here in El Paso (seriously, imma miss this station when I leave lol).

I would not be too sad if they play every one of these songs on the upcoming shows I catch. I think I can safely say it belongs and fits in their catalog perfectly.

I can also see how some may not dig it. It's a *bit* indulgent.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
So, my limited edition finally arrived today (ordered from wowhd so it took a while) and I can't, for the life of me, get the booklet out of the packaging without applying more force than I'm willing to.
Anyone else had this problem and if yes a possible solution?

Edit: Nevermind, after ten more minutes and the careful use of my chopping knife I got it out undamaged.

Last edited:

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not usually one for those alternative track orders, but after hearing about how litanie contre la peur is the same played backwards, I decided to listen to the full album in reverse order, and I think it actually works better than the default track order.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
How's everyone feeling about the album now that it's been a little while? I absolutely adore this shit! Seeing the boys last week was fucking amazing, FI, Invincible and Pneuma live were soooo fucking ace. We didn't have the best viewing angle but I could see Justin, Adam and Danny well and ever so often Maynard would pop into the field of view. Couldn't see the back screen and didn't get the full brunt of the lights and lasers but my god was it awesome. If my wife had been feeling a bit better I would have stormed the pit but alas... Really, really looking forward to Houston next Sunday, I hope I can nab one of the posters (not signed, I spent way too much money on our trip) or at the very least one of the shirts with the poster design.

Adam (at the least) was staying at the same hotel as us in Sac, I saw someone from Reddit show a pic of them and Adam in the elevator and thought cool! Last Saturday the wife and I had lunch at the restaurant at the hotel and she told me about some guy talking to her that I wasn't paying any attention to (asked if we were going back to Aftershock, she told him yes, he said cool!), told me it was an older guy with grey hair. I was showing her some pics folks have been taking last night and she is fairly confident the dude she talked to was Adam lol. I didn't know at the time he was staying there otherwise I would have been on the lookout earlier :0
I was annoyed that they were out of yogurt so that may have played a part, tbh I was annoyed the rest of the day about that fucking yogurt lmao! I was sooo fucking baked too, that'll teach me. I mighta could have enjoyed a cup of joe with Adam if I would have been paying attention (if it was in fact him, I don't doubt it was as she is always meeting folk like that). I wonder if she even knows what Nardo looks like heh!

Anyone else catch one of the recent shows?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
How's everyone feeling about the album now that it's been a little while? I absolutely adore this shit! Seeing the boys last week was fucking amazing, FI, Invincible and Pneuma live were soooo fucking ace. We didn't have the best viewing angle but I could see Justin, Adam and Danny well and ever so often Maynard would pop into the field of view. Couldn't see the back screen and didn't get the full brunt of the lights and lasers but my god was it awesome. If my wife had been feeling a bit better I would have stormed the pit but alas... Really, really looking forward to Houston next Sunday, I hope I can nab one of the posters (not signed, I spent way too much money on our trip) or at the very least one of the shirts with the poster design.

Adam (at the least) was staying at the same hotel as us in Sac, I saw someone from Reddit show a pic of them and Adam in the elevator and thought cool! Last Saturday the wife and I had lunch at the restaurant at the hotel and she told me about some guy talking to her that I wasn't paying any attention to (asked if we were going back to Aftershock, she told him yes, he said cool!), told me it was an older guy with grey hair. I was showing her some pics folks have been taking last night and she is fairly confident the dude she talked to was Adam lol. I didn't know at the time he was staying there otherwise I would have been on the lookout earlier :0
I was annoyed that they were out of yogurt so that may have played a part, tbh I was annoyed the rest of the day about that fucking yogurt lmao! I was sooo fucking baked too, that'll teach me. I mighta could have enjoyed a cup of joe with Adam if I would have been paying attention (if it was in fact him, I don't doubt it was as she is always meeting folk like that). I wonder if she even knows what Nardo looks like heh!

Anyone else catch one of the recent shows?

Wait, you had an actual pit?
Just watched them yesterday and the pit was... chairs. And everyone stayed seated.

I liked the show but honestly was kind of disappointed. The sound mix wasn't the best where I was sitting (right behind the mixing table... ironic I know), it was kind of a short concert and there were no dynamics at all. It was either 0 or 100 everytime the guitar/bass played anything. Danny Carey was a beast as always.

I would probably have enjoyed it more if I was in a pit singing with sweaty people around me but for a seated concert it was just "Very good" (my first tool concert so I was expecting the best thing ever specially because of the ticket price).

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I actually haven't been listening to this as much as expected. I like it, but it's also kind of dull. Eh what can you do.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you had an actual pit?
Just watched them yesterday and the pit was... chairs. And everyone stayed seated.

I liked the show but honestly was kind of disappointed. The sound mix wasn't the best where I was sitting (right behind the mixing table... ironic I know), it was kind of a short concert and there were no dynamics at all. It was either 0 or 100 everytime the guitar/bass played anything. Danny Carey was a beast as always.

I would probably have enjoyed it more if I was in a pit singing with sweaty people around me but for a seated concert it was just "Very good" (my first tool concert so I was expecting the best thing ever specially because of the ticket price).
Sorry for the late reply! It was at a festival so pit and a billion phones in the air (ehhhhhh). Lots of folk hate festivals but I like 'em. Sorry you didn't have a great time, I cannot understand how (non disabled) folk can go to a rock show and sit. Cracks me up when people complain about people standing in front of them and they can't see... I was fortunate to be in a TOOL pit in '97, got my jaw proper jacked up from a flying head butt. Good times!

Scored a ticket for tomorrow night in San Antonio today, super stoked! My wife won't be able to go due to work early Sat morning (which is why I originally bought tix for Houston on Sun). Hopefully I'll score a poster from one of the two nights, some of the designs so far have been fantastic. But not last nights lol.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
According to the new Kerrang podcast, they recorded everything on analog tape to get a particular sound. Also, Danny's drum solo on CCT was done in long, single takes, and they ended up using his first take for the album. What can you expect, he's a beast.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just a little over 3 weeks until they are in Philly.
Got my tickets. Going with some of the guys from work should be an awesome time