• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
At this point I'd reckon they have pretty nice home setups for riffing, writing and jamming. Once the songs are "there" then they'd go into a big studio and finish 'em off.
Or maybe not! 3 years would get real pricey real quick...

What are we, 2 weeks away? Still haven't listened to the new song, dis shit gon' be good :)

Yeah I'm a broke ass musician and even I have a home studio (pedestrian) so I can only imagine what they have haha. 3 years would make it a multi million dollar production easily, which I'm sure no matter the location they blew a lot of cash working on this lol.

My fiancee refuses to listen to Fear Inoculum until the album is out so you aren't alone!

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm a broke ass musician and even I have a home studio (pedestrian) so I can only imagine what they have haha. 3 years would make it a multi million dollar production easily, which I'm sure no matter the location they blew a lot of cash working on this lol.

My fiancee refuses to listen to Fear Inoculum until the album is out so you aren't alone!
Right. Off topic a bit, but the quality we can get at home equipment-wise for not much money is pretty freaking amazing now-a-days. Home studio enthusiasts are mostly limited by acoustics. One could spend ~2k and have an amazing amount of decent equipment (provided they already have a computer/stay away from Macs). I would imagine TOOL has an exceptional "home" setup, would love to peruse their wares lol!

Don't worry about "pedestrian", again, acoustics are most likely your biggest issue. Besides, after 10-15 years you'll amass a bunch of stuff and your setup will look like a fucking airplane cockpit heh. I kinda like my travel setup- a laptop with Live, Push 2, Twin Duo, a pair of Senn 380s and a SM58. Allows me a good bit freedom for whatever and fits nicely in my suitcase with my clothes protecting my gear. I'd imagine lots of professionals have similar setups capable of better recordings than last century (never mind arguments about how there hasn't been a good sounding album since the 70's- I fucking love the way TOOL's albums sound).

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Right. Off topic a bit, but the quality we can get at home equipment-wise for not much money is pretty freaking amazing now-a-days. Home studio enthusiasts are mostly limited by acoustics. One could spend ~2k and have an amazing amount of decent equipment (provided they already have a computer/stay away from Macs). I would imagine TOOL has an exceptional "home" setup, would love to peruse their wares lol!

Don't worry about "pedestrian", again, acoustics are most likely your biggest issue. Besides, after 10-15 years you'll amass a bunch of stuff and your setup will look like a fucking airplane cockpit heh. I kinda like my travel setup- a laptop with Live, Push 2, Twin Duo, a pair of Senn 380s and a SM58. Allows me a good bit freedom for whatever and fits nicely in my suitcase with my clothes protecting my gear. I'd imagine lots of professionals have similar setups capable of better recordings than last century (never mind arguments about how there hasn't been a good sounding album since the 70's- I fucking love the way TOOL's albums sound).

Definitely true man. I've been recording and writing my own music for about 16 years now and it's pretty crazy what you can get out of a bedroom. I went to a studio that had great acoustics, high end equipment, pro tools, etc and in the end my home recordings ended up sounding better. When people hear what I've recorded and tell them I do it all in a bedroom they think I'm lying lol. You're dead on about the acoustics though which I need to improve.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Alright. I listened to this masterpiece few days ago. Finally! The song is about overcoming your fears, nah? I didn't know this. I just wanted to play the song with literally no idea whatsoever. And I did. And I cried like a baby, for straight 10 minutes. They saved my ass with this song from that fucked up day.

That's all I can say, I LOVE this band with my soul. I just want them to do whatever they want to do. And I can't wait to listen the whole album, and cry like a baby, again.

P.S. Damn you Danny. Damn you!

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i think 3:05-3:13 where Maynard sings "i exhale youuu-uuu-uuuu" is one of the most awesome goosebump-inducing moments in a Tool song ever. just so pretty, i feel like i wanna float away during those beautiful seconds... absolutely perfect.

am i alone?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i think 3:05-3:13 where Maynard sings "i exhale youuu-uuu-uuuu" is one of the most awesome goosebump-inducing moments in a Tool song ever. just so pretty, i feel like i wanna float away during those beautiful seconds... absolutely perfect.

am i alone?
It really is a great melody. I hope the whole album is on this type of sound

Roland Garros

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 9, 2019

am i alone?

Couldn't agree more. After the slow build, it all comes together to send shivers down my spine. Not sure there's a better 5 minutes of Tool then the first half of Fear Inoculum. ❤️

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I was wondering why Tool had such a huge reaction following the release of their new song, I wonder if it has anything to do with how popular they are with YouTube "Reactors". I fell into a rabbit hole of non-traditional rock fans (basically black people) discover metal last week at work. I know the "reaction" genre on YouTube is fraught with fake reactions but some seem legitimately genuine. Here's the earliest Tool reaction video I found on the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPZtF9xHFR8

These guys seem pretty genuine and then go on to review other Tool songs - some which they hate like AEnema.

Anyways, other YouTube Reactors jump on the bandwagon and they're getting like 650K to 1 million views per reaction. Even if the reactions are fake, I wonder if they introduced Tool to a younger audience.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
We have a NIN OT, why don't we have a TOOL OT?! One of you fancy fucks should make one (not me!)...

🤔

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK I give in!! I cant stop listening to the new song! It's so damn good! It really is a grower.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Better transition, parabol->parabola or disposition->reflection?

I used to lean the former but I'm really feeling the latter at the moment.

moeppel

Oct 26, 2017
this got uploaded to the german amazon page for the album:

71jBYFoX9eL._SL1468_.jpg

can someone translate that? any meaningful info on it? :)

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the better articles yet about their songwriting process and the difficulties getting the album finished. Some highlights:

While Danny Carey points to some of the band's earlier output as having been written as a collective in one afternoon – songs such as 'Sober' and 'Crawl Away' from their 1993 debut full-length Undertow – he estimates that Tool's songwriting process changed while penning their second album, 1996's Ænima.

It was then that he, Chancellor and Jones started engaging in lengthy jam sessions, after which the music would be presented to Keenan for his vocals. It seems the frustration around the writing process for Fear Inoculum wasn't limited solely to the singer.

"Adam's probably the one who wants to try every little thing more and more, or maybe doesn't quite trust himself right away," offers Carey from Maui, where he's holidaying with his family.

"Maynard's at the opposite end, he doesn't even want to work on anything. There's the flash of inspiration, he commits, and he considers it finished. Both of those guys drive me nuts! Can't we just do something in the middle here?

Chancellor estimates the tracking took around nine or 10 months, with drums laid down in Hollywood's Henson Recording Studios (formerly A&M Studios, one-time home to artists such as Carole King and the location of the 'We Are The World' all-star charity recording) and guitars and bass in LA's Universal Recording Studios.

Due to his extracurricular career as a winemaker, Keenan was forced to multi-task while recording his vocals in his home studio after Barresi and engineer Matt Mitchell travelled to his property in Arizona.

"It was during [wine] harvest," he explains. "I would spend time on the forklift, do some inoculating, do some wild ferments, whatever we were doing in the cellar while [Barresi and Mitchell] gathered things together.

"Then I would come in and do about an hour of vocals, two hours of vocals, and then they'd take a beat to organise it and comp [the takes] and figure out some of the better takes.

"Then [we'd] listen back and go, 'I can beat that, let's beat that.' Meanwhile I'm in the cellar working on the wines. That's just logistically what it had to be. I didn't have the luxury of time. So I made time."

lol at the differences between Adam and Maynard's processes. Adam:

tenor.gif

Maynard: It was Tuesday in between hauling grapes around my vineyard.

Also one thing that caught my eye that I thought was interesting, Maynard mentions inoculation as part of his vineyard duties in between recording vocal takes for the new album, I wasn't aware that term was used for wine making. For those unaware its the process of adding yeast to the must (juice) to activate fermentation. This album is really about wine making y'all :p

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Goddamnit Maynard stop talking about your wine. Lol.

No but really, if I were Danny I would have had a hard time not quitting on them lol. I fall into the Adam category of music writing myself and I can imagine his misery of mulling over shit he liked that he now doesn't like all the time. Frontman just wanted to throw shit on the track and call it a day? You don't say. Lol.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Maynard's gone full "you know I make wine? I MAKE WINE, YOU GUYS. I'M A WINEMAKER. I MAKE WINE. WHO HAS TIME FOR THAT MUSIC SHIT? I MAKE WINE. WINE.

Wine."

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1. 10,000 Days
2. Lateralus
3. Ænima
4. Undertow

They get better with every album, hopefully that continues :)

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
My fav is parabol to parabola, but I do really like the transition to Rosetta Stoned. I'm just not a huge fan of the whole song, it's like too hectic or something.

Too much Deadhead chemistry.

I like the song a good bit, and it has one of my favorite drum parts of any song out there, period. But yeah. It's a bit of a different tune.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Better transition, parabol->parabola or disposition->reflection?

I used to lean the former but I'm really feeling the latter at the moment.

Parabol to Parabola is my favorite... but, yeah, Disposition to Reflection is also good and so is Lost Keys to Rosetta Stoned.

An underrated one IMHO is Intermission to Jimmy... I mean, it's not technically a transition but more of a surprise stop-and-start shit but the fact that it's the same melody is so dang good

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah about the transition tracks that article mentioned each one is done by a separate member, so CC Trip is obviously Danny, I think Legion Inoculant is Maynard's, and not sure about the other two.

I love how Maynard couldn't keep it together anymore at 4:57. "Star of the new film "BloodWine"." Lmao.

Lol yep. My favorite is when Tim says "The blood of Christ is essentially wine...who are you to put that in a bottle?"

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Oh yeah about the transition tracks that article mentioned each one is done by a separate member, so CC Trip is obviously Danny, I think Legion Inoculant is Maynard's, and not sure about the other two.

Lol yep. My favorite is when Tim says "The blood of Christ is essentially wine...who are you to put that in a bottle?"

"Do you recommend for people to drink this? This poison?" Yeah this is the best part of that movie hands down lol. Isn't Patton Oswalt in it too? It's been so long since I've seen it.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
"Do you recommend for people to drink this? This poison?" Yeah this is the best part of that movie hands down lol. Isn't Patton Oswalt in it too? It's been so long since I've seen it.

I'm not sure, I know Patton did an interview with him like in someone's back yard with a shitty camera but not sure if that was part of the doc.

I forgot about this teaser with Odenkirk xD

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Really good track. Reminds me of their Lateralus work quite a bit. Definitely looking forward to hearing the rest of the album!

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
I've just realized that the time span between 10,000 Days and Fear Inoculum is as long as the time span between Tool's debut full length Undertow and 10,000 Days. It's even a few month longer.

It's just crazy that on the day I bought 10,000 Days, Tool's debut album hasn't been as old as 10,000 Days today.