• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
Well that certainly sounds like Danny Carey.

Also, I love it, even with MJK's slightly more processed than usual (for Tool, at least) vocals.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
As many have said this is giving off major Reflection vibes from Lateralus. Liking it so far.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Don't think they could have made anything would blow me away after this long, especially a single song. The song sounded decent at first listen, but I am really looking forward to giving the whole record a good few spins to let it all sink in and then see how I feel, and seeing how this song fits into the record as a whole, too.

Either way it's been great properly getting through their back catalogue again! Between the Tool overload and new Final Fantasy being amazing I feel a 15 year old kid again.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I am kinda expecting the song after this one in the album to be part 2.

Really enjoy the song and I will likely be spinning it until the album comes out on the 30th.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
And the end... it really does sound by the numbers. There's no real shape to it in any of the sections. I can't really hear this song's identity, it just kinds of melts into one long "that sounds like Tool" medley with some vocal parts that seem cut and paste on top of the base tool sound.

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
It's really good. After 13 years my expectations couldn't be higher for this album and this song exceeded them. I was never really worried they wouldn't deliver, but if every song on the album is as good as this I'll be happy.

If there are better songs (and I'm sure there will be based on reactions to the two new songs they've been playing live) I'll be fuckin elated.

Oct 30, 2017
That backing riff during the first couple of minutes sounds very similar to The Grudge/Schism. Regardless, I love the atmosphere. It has a heavy ISIS vibe. But I can't not listen to a TOOL song and think of

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
It's far better than I expected. On my third listen now it has its hooks deep within me.

EXHALE. EXPEL.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That backing riff during the first couple of minutes sounds very similar to The Grudge/Schism. Regardless, I love the atmosphere. It has a heavy ISIS vibe. But I can't not listen to a TOOL song and think of

And this is kind of my problem.

They have one album where it all comes together in this effortless, efficient, incredibly self-assured way where each track is oozing identity and purpose... and then they have a catalogue of stuff where it sounds like they just rehashed their sound over and over (with a few moments of greatness).

Ugh, I guess I'm not really a Tool fan. I'm a (HUGE, UNDYING) fan of their first 2 records and some bits in between.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
And this is kind of my problem.

They have one album where it all comes together in this effortless, efficient, incredibly self-assured way where each track is oozing identity and purpose... and then they have a catalogue of stuff where it sounds like they just rehashed their sound over and over (with a few moments of greatness).

Ugh, I guess I'm not really a Tool fan. I'm a (HUGE, UNDYING) fan of their first 2 records and some bits in between.
You aren't even a fan, why make this thread? Just to have a place to dump on them?

Edit:
Ok I got it guys you can stop quoting me now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You aren't even a fan, why make this thread? Just to have a place to dump on them?
Don'r get defensive, I'm obviously a fan. I was lamenting not enjoying anything since Aenima as much. That album is in my top 5.

And I really do not like this track, and I was really excited to hear it. I thought tine away could have helped with the issues I had with 3 and 4.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And the end... it really does sound by the numbers. There's no real shape to it in any of the sections. I can't really hear this song's identity, it just kinds of melts into one long "that sounds like Tool" medley with some vocal parts that seem cut and paste on top of the base tool sound.

Unfortunately this. There are a couple of moments that sound unique but other than that it sounds like someone just copy and pasted various tool musical tropes in to a 10-minute track.

It's still better than the majority of music out there but for someone that's been listening to Tool since the beginning it's not very interesting.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wew, this sure was underwhelming. Let out an audible "that was it?!" the second the song ended.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This post does a good job of articulating my feelings. It's...Tool. Not terrible but doesn't stand out. I think I share similar sensibilities when it comes to this band. I also think that nothing has lived up to Aenima.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still excited to hear the new record. And to have their catalogue appearing on streaming

If there's even a few, or even ONE new Tool track to fall in love with that's honestly enough for me at this point.

Can't wait to make a playlist.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Lyrics:

Immunity
Long overdue
Contagion
I exhale you
Lying
I opened up to you
Venom in mania

Now, contagion
I exhale you

The deceiver says, he says
You belong to me
You don't wanna breathe the light of the others
Fear the light
Fear the breath
Fear the others for eternity
But I hear them now inhale the clarity
Hear the venom, the venom in
What you say inoculated

Bless this immunity
Bless this immunity
Bless this immunity

Exhale, expel
Recast my tale
Weave my allegorical elegy

Enumerate
All that I'm to do
Calculating steps away from you
My own
Mitosis
Growing through
Delusion from mania

Exhale, expel
Recast my tale
Weave my allegorical elegy

Forfeit
All control
You poison
You spectacle

Exorcise the spectacle
Exorcise the malady
Exorcise the disparate
Poison for eternity
Purge me and evacuate
The venom and the fear that binds me

Unveil now
Lift away
I see you
Running

Deceiver
Chased away
A long time
Coming

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know if I could name 1 Tool song off the top of my head. They played this song during my commute into work (Wmmr Preston and Steve).

I thought it was dope but felt like it stayed in the room a bit too long. 10min might not be the best song for someone like me, who never actively listened to thier music before to be introduced to.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I was also going by their other posts ITT. You don't have to like Tool, but I figured someone who'd make this thread would be a bigger fan and less dismissive of Tool post Lateralus

It literally says that Aenima is one of their favorite albums of all time in the OP. They're a fan. It's perfectly fine to express disappointment.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I was really liking the first half, but then it turned into normal paint-by-numbers Tool stuff. Still good overall though.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
I like the song, especially the vocal melodies. It does feel a lot like something off Lateralus, which is good and bad I suppose. I mean, Lateralus is my favorite Tool album but that came out 18 years ago. Kinda wanted something that felt newer. Overall looking forward to the whole album though.

Oct 30, 2017
I was also going by their other posts ITT. You don't have to like Tool, but I figured someone who'd make this thread would be a bigger fan and less dismissive of Tool post Lateralus
So we should instead have a(nother) circlejerk thread about almighty TOOL instead? I for one actually appreciate someone criticizing this band. They are not some untouchable entity like you might think.

After my second listen, there's some stuff to really like. Vocal delivery at the beginning is really very good. But, the first 5 or 6 minutes are a single melody repeated over and over and over. No variation until the final 3 or 4 minutes and then they throw everything at the wall. A very lopsided track.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
One of the few reviews I can think of in any medium that pissed me off to no fucking end. Talk about a guy who has his head planted firmly up his own ass.

Lateralus is my favorite Tool album and Pitchfork's review was too clever for its own good. However, it is not entirely unsuccessful in making fun of die-hard Tool fans.

I remember reading a professional review of Lateralus, where the author claimed it takes years to truly understand the message of a Tool album. Made me laugh.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
It was alright. There was no way the first single was gonna live up to the 13+ year hype but I'm sure the full album will come closer.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
On first listen I think it's overly long and kind of basic TOOL sounding. Idk, I was expecting...more? With 10 minutes to play I just expect a little more variation. Gonna give it a couple more listens, but I'm thinking my hopes were too high.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Yep, that's a Tool song. Nothing groundbreaking but they definitely haven't lost it. I dig what's going on with the percussion in the track.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ehhhhhhhhhhhh

like, it's fine. it sounds fine. everything's fine. but it sounds like tool trying to recapture the lateralus magic and it comes off like them covering themselves. we'll see how it flows within the full album