• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Another listen down, and I want to just play it again. It goes by so fast. Also, that tight buildup at the end is so good, and it's gearing me to something that never comes, lol. Can't wait to hear the song that immediately follows.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Interesting. I think Lateralus is absolutely their best album. The problem is that 10,000 days feels derivative of Lateralus. But Lateralus sounds nothing like AEnima. AEnima IMO is a great album but is very much a product of the post grunge era.

It just feels like Latatalus doesn't come together as a whole. It has some incredible tracks like The Grudge, Parabola, Schism, but whereas Aenima has a really strong cohesion with its sound and atmosphere, the third album feels more like a collection of tracks than a well cultivated album.

Perhaps I just didn't like enough of the tracks to get a real sense of it. I will be listen again today for the first time in a while... we'll see.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Mark me down as one of the goons who thought 10,000 Days was a joke release; mostly because of how insanely derivative it sounded to me.

This new track isn't doing anything to dissuade that feeling. Even the last 2 times I saw the band live I wasn't that impressed. It really just feels like their phoning it in on "the Tool sound" at this point. I can't blame them though, it's still uniquely their sound and they have every right to continue exploring/exploiting every corner of it's possibilities.

I guess I'm just a different person now.

Clearly, he is a pleb who has no idea what he's talking about. May I direct you to a like-minded Tool expert?

I've never seen this and holy shit is that an amazing review.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It just feels like Latatalus doesn't come together as a whole. It has some incredible tracks like The Grudge, Parabola, Schism, but whereas Aenima has a really strong cohesion with its sound and atmosphere, the third album feels more like a collection of tracks than a well cultivated album.

I have the opposite opinion. Aenima feels like a collection of tracks. Great tracks overall, mind you, but Lateralus feels insanely cohesive especially comparatively. To me it's their most cohesive record by far.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's rare to see someone claim that Lateralus isn't cohesive, especially considering the latter half of the album.

Maybe I simply saw them on tour too much with the whole Disposition-Reflection-Triad played together to view it as anything but an album.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I have the opposite opinion. Aenima feels like a collection of tracks. Great tracks overall, mind you, but Lateralus feels insanely cohesive especially comparatively. To me it's their most cohesive record by far.
Yeah, I have to say...opinions and all, but Lateralus is definitely their most cohesive album.

Feb 16, 2018
Not going to listen until I can hear the full album front to back with nice headphones and no interruptions. I want to savor that first listen and make my own judgement of it as a full package.

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, I'm staying far far away from this until the album is released. I've waited 13 years, I can wait 3 more weeks.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I really like it... it's definitely more Lateralus than 10,000 Days, Reflection being the most obvious comparison.

It's also really weird to hear how much MJK's vocals have changed since the last Tool album. You can hear his progression through the Puscifer stuff and the APC album last year but then to hear what he sounds like these days on a Tool song just really stood out to me.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Idk, this felt like a song where TOOL was trying to get its groove back. Stylistically it sounds pretty generic, could go in any of their albums. But I think the lyrics are aggressively bad. The weird bridge before the first chorus is embarrassing.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Perhaps I just didn't like enough of the tracks to get a real sense of it. I will be listen again today for the first time in a while... we'll see.
That's interesting, because I always felt it was their MOST cohesive album. I think of AEnima as a collection of disparate songs, where to me, Lateralus feels like one long cohesive experience, but that's just my personal read of them.

AEnima is definitely more catchy, I'll give the album that.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Idk, this felt like a song where TOOL was trying to get its groove back. Stylistically it sounds pretty generic, could go in any of their albums. But I think the lyrics are aggressively bad. The weird bridge before the first chorus is embarrassing.

Yeah I tend to just treat Maynards voice as another instrument. The lyrics have never done much for me.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah I tend to just treat Maynards voice as another instrument. The lyrics have never done much for me.

I've been going back and listening to a lot of TOOL albums that I havent since high school and I'm struck by how cringy a lot of the lyrics are. I can tune out most of them, but the stylistic choices on the new track are bad and hard to ignore.

Honestly I'm just bummed at how ordinary and generic this track is. Consider this vs Vicarious as the first single for an album. That song was much more of a statement.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Umm what? Sounds bad? As an audio engineer here. His drum sounds and the engineering on Lateralus and AEnima are considered top notch. I think people get confused by the "openness" of his drum sound. Danny Carey uses very little dampening and relies heavily on tuning his toms into the key of D. He is considered a god of drums sounds and drum tuning.

wanted to post something similar. As a drummer I'm super picky about drumsounds and its production, but there is very little to argue about Carey's sound.

Oct 27, 2017
New Tool song:
source.gif

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I have hardly listened to Tool, but I just want to say that this is now my eighth or ninth listen on Spotify. The guitar riffs at the beginning are great.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, this is an incredible track and one hell of an album opener. God, the rest of the month is going to draaaaaaag.

Danny Carey continues to be the best drummer in rock.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I have hardly listened to Tool, but I just want to say that this is now my eighth or ninth listen on Spotify. The guitar riffs at the beginning are great.
Ha, if you like those riffs you definitely need to check them out.

Here are the three tracks that got me into them way back when:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The song gets better with each listen. I'm starting to feel something special about it. I love the particular textures and mood of each section of the song. It's more subtle than most of the stuff from 10,000 Days, I think, which is great for repeated listens. Also, Maynard's style has changed quite a bit, which helps to make the song feel more unique even if some of the riffs are retreads. The bass is excellent as well, and even if it's sort of Justin's patented sound, it fits in really well in the song and gives it some great texture.

I think the initial expectation of wanting the song to go full on hard might dampen some people's enjoyment at first, but it's kind of like resetting your expectation for the song and the album. it definitely grows and finds its own, I think. I enjoy the new style so far, and can't wait to hear it as a whole.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I like it.

I'll need more listens to have a proper opinion on it but for now, i like it.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like more of a jam out song than a single. It definitely gets better with repeated listens.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
This thread, lol. Never change Tool fans.

I like the new track. Definitely feeling some end of Lateralus the album vibes. They should explore that. There are definitely segments that sound as predictable as can be, especially since Tool are pretty boxed into being Tool at this point. However, they could have just put out Vicarious Part 2 and still would have made plenty happy. They may be boxed in, but I feel there at trying to explore every last inch of that box.

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
And the end... it really does sound by the numbers. There's no real shape to it in any of the sections. I can't really hear this song's identity, it just kinds of melts into one long "that sounds like Tool" medley with some vocal parts that seem cut and paste on top of the base tool sound.
This was exactly how I felt. It was like they sat down and said "Let's write something that sounds like Tool". Nothing unique and nothing stands out. It's derivative. Oh well.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Those first 5 minutes man, the hypnotic riffs, the bass line, sitar, tribal drumming and influences. I am mesmerised by it.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite Tool songs have always been the slower ones. This one isn't original in the least and I'm certainly not blown away but I quite like it.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
It's not as high energy as most Tool singles are like Stinkfist, Vicarious and Sober, but the song is quite good. I would like to hear it within the context of the rest of the album.

My favorite Tool album is Lateralus which is probably their most chill album anyway so I'm still looking forward to this.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Have to agree with with those saying it sounds by the numbers. Carey is stellar as always but everything else sounded too rote and actually a bit uninspired. Still excited for the album and I'll give the song a few more spins but it certainly didn't blow me away.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to hear the CDQ version of Invincible. That song sounds like it could be a classic.

AbstractPlain

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't too hot on the new vocal style but after a few listens I've grown on it and think it fits well. Still can't believe the new album will be here in a few weeks. Feels unreal.