• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Supposedly some track times leaked. Track 7 gonna be the shit. I can feel it.

qafr5w1iv2f31.jpg
I really wish these appear on Touch Tune systems. Can't wait to spend 3 credits for 12+ minutes songs for the same price as a 3 minute songs

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
It's not their best but I like it a lot. I imagine it will grow on me more when I listen to the whole album.

Oct 27, 2017
That was a TOOL ass TOOL song if I've heard one. I liked though just enough of what I need. Hopefully the rest isn't the same. I can see why that song was uploaded first though.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Finally getting around to listen to it and I think this mix is bad because how low the vocals are. Also this is clearly a transition song for a live performance. The entire first half is like 40% of another song

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have to say...opinions and all, but Lateralus is definitely their most cohesive album.
Most definitely that Lateralus feels likes the most cohesive record, although most of their records are compared to their counterparts.

I like the song, but it hasn't lit me on fire yet. No doubt the album will get good, I just hope it is freaking fantastic as I really have enjoyed their albums in the past and even now as they seem to age well with time.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Not bad. Def sounds like Tool and that's a good thing. I've been enjoying listening to all the old albums this week since they've dropped on Apple music. Hopefully this is another great album.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
This song is truly amazing. They sound so fucking good, best drummer? Check. Best bassist? Check? Best guitarist? Check. Best Singer? Check.

hnnnnngggggggg

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Progressive, relevant, subversive, melodic and one of the most heavenly voices in all of music. Song is amazing, been playing it all day.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
David Berman died today (Silver Jews, Purple Mountains). I'm too new to start a discussion, and I may get banned for this, but dang. Someone should start a thread about that.

No slight to the Tool thread. Just harmless venting in the only music thread I could find.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i really wanted to post this so here

i hadn't listened to that for many years, almost forgot it exists.. i used to play this on repeat over and over and over again back when mp3s were a new thing, i was in eight grade or something. super nostalgic cover song for me. too bad there's no studio version but oh well, its still special.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Finally got to give "Fear Inoculum" a listen and honestly if it wasn't for Danny Carey I would have thought this was APC lol. Not bad but doesn't hold a candle to all their other stuff. Funny thing is I actually like the ending which some people don't for some reason. It's strange hearing this chord/bassline progression from them.

Really in all honesty when you don't produce new music for 13 years you're setting yourself and fans up for disappointment because the veil of mystery has been dropped, people are now hearing that record they thought they never would and will naturally come in with high expectations.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I can't wait to hear the studio versions of Descending and Invincible. Heard both songs live thrice this year already and the experience was just mesmerizing.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Didn't immediately love it. It's good. Seems like a weaker Lateralus or if Parabol and Parabola were made into one track but took a xany.

Granted I might listen to it a few more times and it becomes a top 10 Tool song for me. Who knows.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This song is amazing! There's something about that chorus that just speaks to me, it's sort of poppy in a Tool sort of way but damn do I love it.

Speaking of their previous albums, it's funny because 10000 Days is absolutely in the running for their best album for me, and I didn't think that for the first few years. Rosetta Stoned is probably my favorite Tool song. I feel like Undertow has become really underrated these days though.

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
Feels very APC and I feel it will influence this album a lot.
It's like the engine is APC but the bodywork Tool.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Feels very APC and I feel it will influence this album a lot.
It's like the engine is APC but the bodywork Tool.

That's a really good way of describing it lol. Spot on really.

I feel like Maynard is still in APC mode with his vocal performance here which is not bad by any means but this song just doesn't hit me look a Tool song would.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
just preordered the physical cd, about $70 Canadian, insane! this 4" lcd screen on it better be OLED

this new song is not bad, but doesn't really stand out, its missing that Adam Jones pentatonic secret sauce.

Last edited:
OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It is getting better over time, I'll admit that. It still feels lacking to me though, it just doesn't have a section that makes me take note... it just kind of ambles along in typical Tool fashion.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
A little bit too familiar perhaps, but very solid.

Gonna try to keep my expectations in check for this one... they're not cashing in 13 years' worth of backed up inspiration, y'all.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
It was amazing when I first heard and it's fucking brilliant after a few listens. Seriously, play it at least 3 times before brushing it off. The wait for this CD is going to be a tough one, but this already one of the best rock songs I've heard in quite some time.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Yeah I'm liking it a lot more the more I listen to it. Only thing that gets me is Danny's drums at the end. Amazing performance but that snare tone sounds like he's playing on a cocktail kit lol.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. The song was really starting to gel with me when driving somewhere last night. Guess it has to break in sometimes.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Listened to it once and I'll wait for the album to drop to listen to it again. I've been relistening to Tool's discography this summer and I've discovered songs that I didn't pay much attention to in the past have suddenly clicked and become my favorites. This is particularly true of their more longer prog rockish songs, so I'm pretty excited to hear the rest of the new album and experience it as a whole.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because the corresponding forum threads when Lateralus and 10,000 Days were released read just like this one.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly don't know how anyone hears APC in this song except maybe for the vocal melody. Everything else is the tooliest tool song that ever tooled.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
I keep going back and forth on this song.

I do like it now, it's a grower, but I still feel like it's just other songs pieced together. I will say the guitar during the recast my tale part sounds fresh and new, pretty awesome.

Last edited:

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
After more listenings, I'm still hearing the APC structure, it's not only the vocals but dont get me wrong, it's not bad at all.
In fact I feel the song is divided in two, the first part, the song seems like the sound we used to with APC and the second part that starts with the 9th minute mark with the pure tool texture.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Caught myself humming it today, so I guess that's a good sign.

Put me in the camp that can't hear APC in this at all beyond maybe some crossover with Maynard's vocal range and harmonies, which is to be expected I guess. Jones, Chancellor, and Carey's compositions and craftsmanship are so far away from APC, and it's blatantly evident here in my opinion. It sounds like quintessential Tool through and through, arguably to a flaw depending on your taste.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I'm a horrific snob so I was preparing to be snooty about this song but it's really good. Reminds me of Aenima.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just dreading how expensive tickets will be, and speed at which they'll sell out, once they announce an Australia tour :(

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'm not gonna listen to their new song in isolation after all this time....I've waited this long I can wait three more weeks for the album.
Had to think twice about the insane price for the special edition CD though......I justified it by thinking if they were a normal band they would
have put out loads of albums in the intervening years.....so I'm really saving money,lol.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not gonna listen to their new song in isolation after all this time....I've waited this long I can wait three more weeks for the album.
Had to think twice about the insane price for the special edition CD though......I justified it by thinking if they were a normal band they would
have put out loads of albums in the intervening years.....so I'm really saving money,lol.

The song seems like it's going to be better when placed in the context of the album so it's definitely worth holding out for

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The single is definitely growing on me, though I think Descending (hq live recording) is still my favorite so far out of the new tracks. Can't wait to hear the latter on the actual record.

The 30th needs to hurry up and get here already :p

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like it. It was just so... boring. I had to put on The Grudge right after just to wash off the bad taste.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
After sitting on it for several days... I still really like it. The droning guitar and rhythmic drum and bass form an almost post-rocky sort of hypnosis at times, and Maynard does a lot of great stuff. Will make for a killer intro track.