• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
i really wanted to post this so here

i hadn't listened to that for many years, almost forgot it exists.. i used to play this on repeat over and over and over again back when mp3s were a new thing, i was in eight grade or something. super nostalgic cover song for me. too bad there's no studio version but oh well, its still special.

HOLY SHIT! How have i never heard that cover? It´s amazing!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably fake but whatever I'm bored so here's the potential track listing:

xd44snuydnf31.jpg

Captain_Cold

Oct 30, 2017
This is probably fake but whatever I'm bored so here's the potential track listing:

xd44snuydnf31.jpg

Something's not adding up if we take the supposed leaked tracked times from Qobuz (3,4,5, and 7), along with rough track times for the two songs they've played live (2 and 6), and the known length of the released single (1). There's also the supposed 18 minute last track reported a few months back but that may have changed or morphed into something else. Either way, when you add up the totals for the first 7 tracks you run out of time pretty fast.
1. 10:21. (10:21)
2. ~11:50. (22:11)
3. 12:44. (34:55)
4. 13:37. (48:32)
5. 10:05. (58:47)
6. ~12:28. (71:05)
7. 15:44. (86:49)
8. ???
9. ~18:00??
10.???

Midway through track 7 we're already past the 79 minutes that will fit on one CD. It's looking like at least one track will be left off the CD, likely the last track if they want to keep track numbers consistent. The CD could actually just be the first 7 tracks with a few edits to get it under 79 minutes. Interviews with Adam have said the the album is 85 minutes long with 7 tracks, and people were assuming 2 interludes on top of that. So that kindof adds up if you disregard the last 3 songs. It'll definitely be interesting to see how they deal with the time contraints and how the cd and digital versions differ.

So either this tracklist, the leaked track times, or both are incorrect. Guess all we can do is wait and see.

Oct 30, 2017
I hate to say it but this song continues to pop into my head over and over. I don't know why because it's not like it is a departure from typical TOOL but I find myself thinking about the vocal melodies frequently.

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope there is at least one song that is consistently upbeat and catchy like Vicarious or Parabola. I like this song but it doesn't blow me away. Production wise it sound most similar to 10,000 days.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I feel like Maynard is just kinda phoning this song in, lyrically and vocally. I like the music and everything but he just sounds... Bored lol. Was listening to the latest APC earlier and even in the quieter songs/parts there he is exuding more energy.

I like the song I just feel like he's not even really liking it lol.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I feel like Maynard is just kinda phoning this song in, lyrically and vocally. I like the music and everything but he just sounds... Bored lol. Was listening to the latest APC earlier and even in the quieter songs/parts there he is exuding more energy.

I like the song I just feel like he's not even really liking it lol.
His vocal performance on the track is actually incredible, it surprises me people would think it's phoned in.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
His vocal performance on the track is actually incredible, it surprises me people would think it's phoned in.

Ehhh I would by no means consider his performance here incredible. I know he's gotten older and isn't going to lay down shit like he could during the Anema days but as I mentioned before, even in recent APC there is a lot more nuance and dynamics. His best performance here is towards the end of the song imo.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Ehhh I would by no means consider his performance here incredible. I know he's gotten older and isn't going to lay down shit like he could during the Anema days but as I mentioned before, even in recent APC there is a lot more nuance and dynamics. His best performance here is towards the end of the song imo.
It's much harder to sing this way than most of the stuff he's done before. You might disagree with the direction he's taken the vocals, but the performance itself is nothing short of incredible.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
It's much harder to sing this way than most of the stuff he's done before. You might disagree with the direction he's taken the vocals, but the performance itself is nothing short of incredible.

Direction is a good word I should have thought of lol. This style isn't really new though. He actually sounds a lot like his performance on his first Puscifer album. Stylistically I mean. Again, don't get me wrong: he sounds good but in comparison to a lot of his body of work this just isn't of a similar caliber. There's really not a whole lot here I would consider hard or demanding for most of it. That's not a knock on his talent, it's just an observation.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Late to the party just to say I loved the song. Like most Tool songs with me, I have to give it a few listens to take in the whole thing. Has me hyped for the new album. Seems to be a big hit with the fans as well.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Late to the party just to say I loved the song. Like most Tool songs with me, I have to give it a few listens to take in the whole thing. Has me hyped for the new album. Seems to be a big hit with the fans as well.

I'm really dying to hear the whole thing. I still haven't listened to the other 2 performed live but new songs yet. I have a hard time listening to stuff like that unless it's a really good recording without too much audience noise.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I listened to it earlier with headphones finally and the mixing is... Strange? It's typical to hard pan guitars L/R but it's interesting how the middle for guitar is completely cut out during a lot of it, leaving the bass to occupy an entirely separate space in the middle. It's not like this for the whole song as the guitar tracks bleed somewhat into the middle towards the end. As a musician who records and mixes his own stuff I'm always fascinated by certain decisions artists make during the mixing and mastering process. I really like that everything occupies its own space which isn't in and of itself unique but the compressed hard pan center cut isn't something I hear too often.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this song is incredible. I've listened to it over a dozen times. It's a great blend between their sound on 10,000 Days and their sound from their past albums. Can't wait for the full album to drop.

Oct 26, 2017
nQjBLer-680x559.jpg

Pretty much me the last week. Loving the new single.

Amazing. Haha.

It's crazy how at first I was like this sounds samey to now I'm seeing huge differences and think it sounds like its own thing. I think it's just that they have such a distinct bass and guitar sound that it's easy to sound samey at first but there's so many layers underneath that.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
Amazing. Haha.

It's crazy how at first I was like this sounds samey to now I'm seeing huge differences and think it sounds like its own thing. I think it's just that they have such a distinct bass and guitar sound that it's easy to sound samey at first but there's so many layers underneath that.

Agreed. On first listen I was like hmmm sounds like Reflection but it really is it's own song and there really are multiple layers of sound going on here. And god damn does Danny Carey just kill it on here. The man is on his own level.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't resist anymore, I finally listened to it.

Holy shit I'm so happy. It was so good. At about 5 minutes I have a grin on my face, look down and see I still have 5 more minutes of this song and my grin gets even bigger. I love how much this band rewards you for listening with headphones, so many little touches you'll only pick up with headphones and they just tickle my ear.

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. On first listen I was like hmmm sounds like Reflection but it really is it's own song and there really are multiple layers of sound going on here. And god damn does Danny Carey just kill it on here. The man is on his own level.

Did Carey do any other projects while they were away? He is insanely talented.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I've always thought Tool was highly overrated, and this song is another boring weed-dude jam fest with terrible sounding drums.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think Tool is slightly overrated (they're not all that weird in general), but they're still really good. Super excited for the new album.

Qronicle

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
After a few days of regularly listening to the new single, it's never really left the "it's an okay song" phase for me.

However I've been listening to some Descending recordings over and over again. (I've seen them live twice this summer, so it's not really a spoiler for me personally.) Oh man, I am absolutely in love with that Jones riff (the one he posted on instagram) at about 10 minutes in. Cannot wait to hear that song on the album!

Since I've been listening to a lot of Tool these days, an update of my favorite albums:
1. 10,000 days - I honestly like every "real" track on this one, probably my most played album of all time, I should probably start by telling this was the first Tool album I really got into.
2. Ænima - Maybe a little too much filler on this one, but any album that ends with Ænema and Third eye is a winner
3. Undertow - Love the aggressive feel on this one
4. Lateralus - Although Lateralus is my favourite Tool song ever, I feel like MJK is a little too whiny on this one overall (eg. the patient). The grudge is amazing, but after that it's a long time before the album gets going again. It used to be higher on the list, but I find myself not listening the album back to back as much as I used to.
5. Opiate - Decent live recordings, yay :)
6. Salival - Shame this one isn't on Spotify, it's been ages since I've played this.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I will acquiesce though, I do personally find the drums at the end to be kinda poorly mixed.
I will say that there's something strange with the sound of the drums at the end of the song. Feels like a delay effect that's a bit too long or some track that's just slightly off timing, with some drums panned hard giving it a strange lopsided effect. It sounds kind of cool, but probably should be fine-tuned a bit more (at least in my head). It's interesting because it's only that part of the song. Everywhere else is normal.

Still love the song even with this odd part. But that comment is some meteoric-level shit take that doesn't deserve a serious rebuttal.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could find some site that's selling the high resolution (FLAC) album. Qobuz is selling the CD, HDtracks doesn't have the album listed.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Great reason to come into the thread and have a hot take!

It's a poor song. It's basic practice room riff jamming over what basically amounts to one chord, which leaves little room for actual melody on the part of Maynard. It's somewhat impressive musicianship, but it's sevrely lacking in terms of actual songwriting.

Tool's music just sounds completely hollow to me at this point. It hasn't evolved or changed at all for ages. I actually like parts of 10000 Days, but that was 14 years ago. I wish the time span was reflected in the quality of their songwriting.

I get that a lot of people love this shit, and that's awesome, but this is just a reprise of everything that's come before, only without any of the excitement and emotion. It sounds straight up lazy.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
It's a poor song. It's basic practice room riff jamming over what basically amounts to one chord, which leaves little room for actual melody on the part of Maynard. It's somewhat impressive musicianship, but it's sevrely lacking in terms of actual songwriting.

Tool's music just sounds completely hollow to me at this point. It hasn't evolved or changed at all for ages. I actually like parts of 10000 Days, but that was 14 years ago. I wish the time span was reflected in the quality of their songwriting.

I get that a lot of people love this shit, and that's awesome, but this is just a reprise of everything that's come before, only without any of the excitement and emotion. It sounds straight up lazy.

There is more than 1 chord in FI and they are known for their heavy use of polymeters. You can't "practice room riff jam" in 11/8 while the guitarist plays in alternating 12/8 and 5/4.

You might not like what they do, but it's clear a huge amount of craftsmanship goes into their songs, including this one.

Oct 30, 2017
There is more than 1 chord in FI and they are known for their heavy use of polymeters. You can't "practice room riff jam" in 11/8 while the guitarist plays in alternating 12/8 and 5/4.

You might not like what they do, but it's clear a huge amount of craftsmanship goes into their songs, including this one.
It's like accusing Meshuggah of just chugging guitars in all their songs. I'm not the biggest fan of TOOL but I can't question their talented songwriting and musicianship.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought Tool was highly overrated, and this song is another boring weed-dude jam fest with terrible sounding drums.

OK I'm totally fine with you not liking Tool. That's your opinion. But I don't know how anyone can say that Danny Carey is a bad drummer. Are you talking from like an engineering stand point?

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
Tool overrated huh? never heard that before..... besides, many overrated bands and artists sound just fine. i think The Rolling Stones are the most overrated thing ever but i still love me some Paint It Black.

i wanted to wait for the full album but i could not resist, goddamnit... but yeah after about 12 listens this is the best song i've heard this year, IMO Maynard fucking nails 95% of the vocal parts, i really love it, get major chills in some parts (EEEXHALE, EEEEXPELL). the heavier instrumental outro part doesnt do much for me but ehh, otherwise its stellar, as expected. gj Tool!

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I will say that there's something strange with the sound of the drums at the end of the song. Feels like a delay effect that's a bit too long or some track that's just slightly off timing, with some drums panned hard giving it a strange lopsided effect. It sounds kind of cool, but probably should be fine-tuned a bit more (at least in my head). It's interesting because it's only that part of the song. Everywhere else is normal.

Still love the song even with this odd part. But that comment is some meteoric-level shit take that doesn't deserve a serious rebuttal.

The performance itself is great it's just the actual recording of the drums in the end I think. The snare sounds detuned and the rest sounds kinda flat. If you listen to it and compare it to the drum tracks for Lateralus and 10,000 Days they have a much better clarity, tonality and also have some decent reverb/delay settings added in. It honestly sounds like a Danny Carey recorded them himself in his garage lol. (I'm joking... Kinda).

I like the song but yeah the drums just sound weird at the end.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
First "review" out: https://www.nme.com/reviews/album/tool-fear-inoculum-review

Pretty garbage writeup, very little details and quite short. Not sure if this critic has actually heard it, but we got two more track names so that's something I suppose, "Pneuma" and "Mockingbeat".

It looks like an embargo of something may be up tomorrow but not sure if its review related, maybe just the track listing.

edit: I guess it is the review embargo that's up if this line from metalinjection is anything to go by:

Come back on Wednesday for a track-by-track review of the album.

Edit 2: Aaand the reviews are starting to come in:

Full track list:

1: "Fear Inoculum"
2: "Pneuma"
3: "Litanie contre la Peur"
4: "Invincible"
5: "Legion Inoculant"
6: "Descending"
7: "Culling Voices"
8: "Chocolate Chip Trip"
9: "7empest"
10: "Mockingbeat"

Last edited:

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
All this time we thought they were only playing two tracks from the album live (Descending and Invincible), when there's been a third right under our noses this entire time.

Danny's drum solo appeared on the set list at shows as "CCTrip". Now we know from the track descriptions today that Chocolate Chip Trip is literally a synth/drum solo on the album too.