• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Those writeups are interesting. It almost seems like they chose Fear Inoculum as the single because it's the closest thing they had to a song that sounded like previous tool works. I suppose they could have also released Invincible or Descending as well. But the album sounds like an absolute trip. Can't wait to hear 7empest.

First "review" out: https://www.nme.com/reviews/album/tool-fear-inoculum-review

Pretty garbage writeup, very little details and quite short. Not sure if this critic has actually heard it, but we got two more track names so that's something I suppose, "Pneuma" and "Mockingbeat".
Yeah that review is terrible. Looks like the writer just phoned it in by writing vague shit about the band, without clear understanding if they actually listened to it.

The other reviews are pretty decent though at telling us what it is like, at least for a first listen.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The last song sounds like it's going to be incredible. They take you on a trippy journey and then smash your face in at the end.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
This is definitely shaping up to be more Lateralus than 10,000 Days. Definitely excited as Lateralus is my fave TOOL album.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I wasn't blown away by the track at all but I have to say it's really growing on me. It feels more cohesive after a few more listens. That chorus is great too.

Nov 7, 2017
The idea of cctrip just being a giant drum solo inbetween invincible and descending is giving me disposition-reflection-triad vibes

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone wanting to have something cool while waiting for the new album, a cool channel appeared for me on Youtube where a guy breaks down the interesting stuff happening in Schism:

He also has a video for Parabola as well. Some of his other videos are pretty interesting too if you are into music theory and production.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to one of the reviews, the three interludes aren't included on the CD version. Makes sense, since they'd have to make this a double album otherwise, but it's still a bit surprising.

moeppel

Oct 26, 2017
kinda hope the included download has a lossless option... hate paying for something that's lossy compressed.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed although I think the last physical CD I bought was prob 10,000 Days haha

yeah, it's been a really long time for me as well lol

If the MP3 is high quality audio compared to the streaming versions, I may end up buying this in physical form at some point. Gotta' love Tool's album packaging and gimmicks.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
yeah, it's been a really long time for me as well lol

If the MP3 is high quality audio compared to the streaming versions, I may end up buying this in physical form at some point. Gotta' love Tool's album packaging and gimmicks.

Oh they sucked me in with this crazy LCD packaging and 32 page book. I am a sucker for anything Alex Grey so def looking forward to it.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this album will leak early, considering this is the bands first foray into the digital world.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this album will leak early, considering this is the bands first foray into the digital world.
Most leaks tend to come from reviewers copies and I'm pretty sure Tool is doing listening sessions for reviewers rather than sending links or streams out. They don't really need wide coverage from anyone, so I doubt it'll leak that far ahead. Maybe manufacturing but that happens less.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Due to the building hype, I decided to dust the cobwebs off of my CD collection...

Much to my dismay, instead of Lateralus being in its case, Year Zero was in its place. And holy hell was it scratched to shit. My younger brother absolutely wrecked my music, game and book collections while I was away doing a brief 6 year stint in the Navy. Oh well, at least I've still got my ripped MP3s.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Most leaks tend to come from reviewers copies and I'm pretty sure Tool is doing listening sessions for reviewers rather than sending links or streams out. They don't really need wide coverage from anyone, so I doubt it'll leak that far ahead. Maybe manufacturing but that happens less.
yeah you'll probably see it leak a few days ahead of its release when the album arrives in stores.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
It bothers me a little that the tracklists of the physical and the digital versions differ. This might sound silly but I'd like to know what's the definitive version of the album while listening to it. Is the cd version the right one and the interludes are just a bonus for the digital version? Or is the digital version the right one and the cd is just missing something?

Nonetheless I'm very excited about the new album.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
It bothers me a little that the tracklists of the physical and the digital versions differ. This might sound silly but I'd like to know what's the definitive version of the album while listening to it. Is the cd version the right one and the interludes are just a bonus for the digital version? Or is the digital version the right one and the cd is just missing something?

Nonetheless I'm very excited about the new album.

I agree with you on this. I will admit though I've never been a big fan of the interlude tracks anyway (or at least on 10000 days) so I can deal with it.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This track has really started to grow on me after a few listens. I wasn't that into it at first but that's changing now.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
There's a great interview with everyone except Maynard in the new issue of Metal Hammer. Some pretty honest stuff in there that took me by surprise that they'd discuss publicly, like Danny expressing his own frustration with Adam's perfectionist and doubting process wrt committing to finished songs, to the point where Danny told him and Justin if they couldn't lock down the material he'd go play with other people (which he kinda did in Seagullmen side project with Brent Hinds), and says there was a point where they could have potentially broken up from this.

It was Justin that laid down a time period for which they needed to finish the new album by, and all told they were doing about three years total of being in the studio for the writing process. Danny says they scrapped entire albums worth of material and started over again, which Maynard sort of alluded to with them changing things up on him after he'd finish writing lyrics to music they sent him.

The good news is Danny seems optimistic about putting out more material past this record, given that they've amassed a bunch of riffs and other ideas from those three years of jamming and writing.

Justin explains the theme of the album as inoculating against the worries of one's relevance fading, do they have anything important left to say musically etc. Danny expands on this saying its about not worrying what critics may think of what you're putting out and to just do what you're happy with.

Also thought this detail was a bit amusing, they didn't let Metal Hammer do the photo shoot, the band supplied their own photos (the pics look like they may have been taken in one of their living rooms xD), and for the listening sessions they did the typical NDA thing, collected mobile phones, and the listening room had CCTV cameras in it. They're not fuckin around with not wanting leaks to get out that's for sure.

I need to hear those B-sides like yesterday.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I know we have a new album coming and I'm being greedy, but if we could get another album in the next....5 years? That'd be great. Or...yah know....in my lifetime would be good too.

I've been watching people listen to Tool songs for the first time on Youtube so I can live vicariously through them until I can listen to the new stuff for myself. I pulled myself from the wormhole years ago but they've spiraled me out again.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
After a few days of regularly listening to the new single, it's never really left the "it's an okay song" phase for me.

However I've been listening to some Descending recordings over and over again. (I've seen them live twice this summer, so it's not really a spoiler for me personally.) Oh man, I am absolutely in love with that Jones riff (the one he posted on instagram) at about 10 minutes in. Cannot wait to hear that song on the album!

Since I've been listening to a lot of Tool these days, an update of my favorite albums:
1. 10,000 days - I honestly like every "real" track on this one, probably my most played album of all time, I should probably start by telling this was the first Tool album I really got into.
2. Ænima - Maybe a little too much filler on this one, but any album that ends with Ænema and Third eye is a winner
3. Undertow - Love the aggressive feel on this one
4. Lateralus - Although Lateralus is my favourite Tool song ever, I feel like MJK is a little too whiny on this one overall (eg. the patient). The grudge is amazing, but after that it's a long time before the album gets going again. It used to be higher on the list, but I find myself not listening the album back to back as much as I used to.
5. Opiate - Decent live recordings, yay :)
6. Salival - Shame this one isn't on Spotify, it's been ages since I've played this.
Aenima... filler?

*falls over*

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
It was Justin that laid down a time period for which they needed to finish the new album by, and all told they were doing about three years total of being in the studio for the writing process. Danny says they scrapped entire albums worth of material and started over again, which Maynard sort of alluded to with them changing things up on him after he'd finish writing lyrics to music they sent him.
#ReleaseTheMaynardCut

Oct 27, 2017
Danny says they scrapped entire albums worth of material and started over again, which Maynard sort of alluded to with them changing things up on him after he'd finish writing lyrics to music they sent him.
giphy.gif

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
3 years in a studio is fucking expensive lol.
At this point I'd reckon they have pretty nice home setups for riffing, writing and jamming. Once the songs are "there" then they'd go into a big studio and finish 'em off.
Or maybe not! 3 years would get real pricey real quick...

What are we, 2 weeks away? Still haven't listened to the new song, dis shit gon' be good :)

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I'd reckon they have pretty nice home setups for riffing, writing and jamming. Once the songs are "there" then they'd go into a big studio and finish 'em off.
Or maybe not! 3 years would get real pricey real quick...

What are we, 2 weeks away? Still haven't listened to the new song, dis shit gon' be good :)

Yeah you're pretty much right, they have their own space to write and record that Carey has owned for awhile that they call The Loft, in that article it even talked about how when Justin first moved to LA he slept there in a sleeping bag.

I know they use other studios when laying down certain things, I remember seeing an insta post from Adam showing a separate studio they were tracking at cause it had the specific acoustics they needed for whatever.