• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yo unboxing video up on Youtube. Spoilers beware. Packaging is slick as hell. Also you get a glimpse of the lyrics to Pneuma.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wish the skeleton man was the cover art instead with maybe the swirls in the background instead and the star overlayed on it. I think that would've been cool

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
What an amazing packaging. I like that the packaging doesn't seem to be much bigger than a usual cd case so I can put it in my cd shelf next to my other Tool cds.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
I like the deluxe package. But the little screen seems kind of, idk... Whats the point? Cool none the less. Happy for my preorder. Even though I know I will get it way late from amazon.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty awesome. The packaging and artwork are really cool. Didn't end up ordering one, but it would be nice to have, especially with those lyrics.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I'm glad this band of enlightened individuals plus that rapist chose to use our planet's resources on an LCD screen in an album cover. Fuck this band.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
even if we pretend he's innocent, don't you think it just highlights what a vapid exercise in mental masturbation the entire concept behind Tool is when they choose to produce and sell such idiotically lavish special editions, while we have (had) people like Tom Searle who spent their last days on this earth trying to make music and touring more sustainable?
just absolute fucking garbage people.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
even if we pretend he's innocent, don't you think it just highlights what a vapid exercise in mental masturbation the entire concept behind Tool is when they choose to produce and sell such idiotically lavish special editions, while we have (had) people like Tom Searle who spent their last days on this earth trying to make music and touring more sustainable?

You're saying this as if Tool are the only ones creating ridiculous limited editions.

These kinds of lavish special editions exist in all kinds of mediums.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
You're saying this as if Tool are the only ones creating ridiculous limited editions.

These kinds of lavish special editions exist in all kinds of mediums.
yes, but I am saying this especially because Tool and their fans see themselves as better and enlightened and they're definitely positioned as "the thinking person's metal band" or whatever and we expect those people to do better, not just as dumb.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
This is just boneheaded logic.

As for the accusation, I gave it some deliberation and came to the conclusion that the evidence is weak and points to it being bogus. However, if more evidence were to come up, we can rightly condemn him of wrongdoing.

But for now I have personally decided to not use insubstantial, shaky evidence to crucify someone. You chose differently, that's fine. But get out of here with these shitty accusations.
yes, but I am saying this especially because Tool and their fans see themselves as better and enlightened and they're definitely positioned as "the thinking person's metal band" or whatever and we expect those people to do better, not just as dumb.
This is what I'm talking about. You're just winging on vapid stereotypes.

Kifimbo

Oct 28, 2017

I appreciate your immense concern for the environment, and this may be a worthwhile separate thread, but right now you are just derailing this one.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I don't think I'm de-railing a thread when I am commenting on how fucking pointless and toxic it is to include an LCD screen in a music release in the year of our lord 2019.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, you can just like Tool's music.

I don't think I'm de-railing a thread when I am commenting on how fucking pointless and toxic it is to include an LCD screen in a music release in the year of our lord 2019.

It's not a happy meal. It ain't going straight in the bin. It's a collectors thing for a small amount of people. This is really no big deal.

entheo

Oct 27, 2017

Just because they want to give their fans who waited over 13 years for this album a uniquely awesome experience, that makes them garbage people? You do know that Tool has been around since 1991 and have achieved a completely different level of success than Architects?

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas

Didnt you try to derail this thread when it first started?

Sorry that your pants are all twisted about a special edition selling out from a hugely popular band that will release their first album in 13 years.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
you guys are a right, their FIRST ALBUM in THIRTEEN YEARS totally warrants ignoring everything as long as the FANS have an awesome experience.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
you guys are a right, their FIRST ALBUM in THIRTEEN YEARS totally warrants ignoring everything as long as the FANS have an awesome experience.
I'd like to see you in all the video game threads railing on why these companies all produce mountains of garbage for their special editions. And all the companies producing mountains of plastic and shit that will just be thrown away. In the year of our lord 2019, my god.

Probably not though. You only chose this one.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I'd like to see you in all the video game threads railing on why these companies all produce mountains of garbage for their special editions. And all the companies producing mountains of plastic and shit that will just be thrown away. In the year of our lord 2019, my god.

Probably not though. You only chose this one.
may I interest you in more whataboutism?
I think anyone who buys a special edition of a video game is a mark too and that practice generally does deserve more criticism than it is getting, including from me.

I'd also argue that going forward we should be more critical towards these kind of practices, not less or equal.

entheo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I completely fail to see why THIS is the product out of millions that gets you bent out of shape.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
User warned: trolling over a series of posts
also here's an idea: if you want to give your fans a dope experience after 13 years of not releasing an album, instead of including an LCD screen in your special edition you could, yano, make music that doesn't sound like the same shit you've been doing for your entire career.

I'll stop "derailing" this thread now because clearly people would rather not talk about this in here but idk just something to keep in mind.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
may I interest you in more whataboutism?
I think anyone who buys a special edition of a video game is a mark too and that practice generally does deserve more criticism than it is getting, including from me.

I'd also argue that going forward we should be more critical towards these kind of practices, not less or equal.
No doubt that's true on a general scale.

It doesn't matter if it's whataboutism. If we're going to level this much shit here, we have to do it elsewhere, too. Now, it's definitely a valid question, but when you load it up with with so much shit in a random thread with no discussion buildup you will just piss people off.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
It doesn't matter if it's whataboutism. If we're going to level this much shit here, we have to do it elsewhere, too. Now, it's definitely a valid question, but when you load it up with with so much shit in a random thread with no discussion buildup you will just piss people off.
I don't see how it is random. I was literally responding to the video someone posted in this thread. That was my reaction. It pissed me off.

and yeah, let's fucking do it elsewhere too. think junk needs to stop.

So much great art in that delux edition and they choose that shitty thing as their main cover. Lol.

also the art IS fucking incredible though, isn't it? I was super impressed. (except weird font choice for the lyrics but ok)

entheo

Oct 27, 2017
also here's an idea: if you want to give your fans a dope experience after 13 years of not releasing an album, instead of including an LCD screen in your special edition you could, yano, make music that doesn't sound like the same shit you've been doing for your entire career.

I'll stop "derailing" this thread now because clearly people would rather not talk about this in here but idk just something to keep in mind.

I didn't know you listened to the new album. How is it? I'd argue with you that every band or musician that has ever existed sounds somewhat the same throughout their career. It's their style and Tool's style has changed over time more than most artists. Go listen to any song from Opiate and then try to tell me that it sounds the same as Fear Inoculum.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017

I've always thought this was hilarious, it's just big dumb riffs played in odd time signatures like most other prog rock and alternative metal. There's nothing really harmonically complex about Tool's music. Compared to stuff like Kayo Dot; it's basically classic rock.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I've always thought this was hilarious, it's just big dumb riffs played in odd time signatures like most other prog rock and alternative metal. There's nothing really harmonically complex about Tools music. Compared to stuff like Kayo Dot, it's basically classic rock.
idk the riffs are, or rather, were pretty dope tho. But yeah idk really missing the complexity here. maybe I'm just dunning kruger-ing myself because I can barely care about a 6/8 rhythm not to mention anything weirder than that.

I'd argue with you that every band or musician that has ever existed sounds somewhat the same throughout their career.
which is also why most artists hit diminishing returns sooner or later and in order not to do that you do have to make bold stylstic changes. Radiohead is a good example of this. Or Kanye, if you wanna look at another douchebag.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought this was hilarious, it's just big dumb riffs played in odd time signatures like most other prog rock and alternative metal. There's nothing really harmonically complex about Tool's music. Compared to stuff like Kayo Dot; it's basically classic rock.
They are less melodically complex in some ways, and that has it's positives and negatives. They are more a rhythmically complex band, with a bassist that is often featured front and center. Nothing wrong with it. I get it's not everyone's cup of tea. Tool never said this of themselves, and often make fun of people for taking them too seriously.

But there's nothing wrong with classic rock either. There's plenty of simplistic and complex things to talk about there too. Some rock and pop songs are more complex within their confines than prog songs as well. It's all about where they put their effort.

At the same time, I wouldn't label them as being melodically simple. I posted this earlier, but it's worth a watch. A producer and music professor goes over the stuff happening in Schism:

Granted, some of their guitar riffs are pretty simple, but that's just Adam's style. The complexity comes as a whole. But then again, most people aren't really paying attention to the subtelties. They are talking about the mood of the music.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
They are less melodically complex in some ways, and that has it's positives and negatives. They are more a rhythmically complex band, with a bassist that is often featured front and center. Nothing wrong with it. I get it's not everyone's cup of tea. Tool never said this of themselves, and often make fun of people for taking them too seriously.

But there's nothing wrong with classic rock either. There's plenty of simplistic and complex things to talk about there too. Some rock and pop songs are more complex within their confines than prog songs as well. It's all about where they put their effort.

At the same time, I wouldn't label them as being melodically simple. I posted this earlier, but it's worth a watch. A producer and music professor goes over the stuff happening in Schism:

Granted, some of their guitar riffs are pretty simple, but that's just Adam's style. The complexity comes as a whole. But then again, most people aren't really paying attention to the subtelties. They are talking about the mood of the music.

Good post. So yeah, don't get me wrong. I love "simple" music, I often find more complexity in minimalism if done right. It's not a competition to have the most complicated or challenging music, I just find it weird when people call Tool "complex", because it's really not. And that's not a bad thing either.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
which is also why most artists hit diminishing returns sooner or later and in order not to do that you do have to make bold stylstic changes. Radiohead is a good example of this. Or Kanye, if you wanna look at another douchebag.

Every artist is different. Some do make huge changes and it works out, others do it and their fans hate it. Some artists are better at change, and that's part of their artistic dna. Others though find a rhythm and style and stick with that, of course with some smaller evolutions. I think that's fine because that's A LOT of artists across every medium. Finding your style is often called finding your voice for a reason. I don't think once you've found it that it's necessary to change just for the hell of it. If that's your drive then do it, but if not then keep on. To point to another medium and a really easy target, look at Akira Toriyama. Dude's style is the fucking same for decades. Does he need a bold stylistic change? Or is that just who he is and what his art looks like? Same with Amano.

I'd argue Radiohead hasn't made massive BOLD stylistic changes any more than Tool has. They had a bigger change earlier in their life and seem to have found their voice. There's some evolutions and tweaks but largely Radiohead has been Radiohead for a long while. If you compare the bends to Moon Shaped Pool of course they're different, but compare Undertow and 10,000 days and they're different too. Like Toriyama, Tool found a sound that's pretty indistinguishably theirs and they'll likely stick to it. Radiohead did too.

If you really want bold new change then I guess go listen to Ulver or something. A bunch of old rockers who've only put out a few albums probably aren't going to be reinventing sound here.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Every artist is different. Some do make huge changes and it works out, others do it and their fans hate it. Some artists are better at change, and that's part of their artistic dna. Others though find a rhythm and style and stick with that, of course with some smaller evolutions. I think that's fine because that's A LOT of artists across every medium. Finding your style is often called finding your voice for a reason. I don't think once you've found it that it's necessary to change just for the hell of it. If that's your drive then do it, but if not then keep on. To point to another medium and a really easy target, look at Akira Toriyama. Dude's style is the fucking same for decades. Does he need a bold stylistic change? Or is that just who he is and what his art looks like? Same with Amano.

I'd argue Radiohead hasn't made massive BOLD stylistic changes any more than Tool has. They had a bigger change earlier in their life and seem to have found their voice. There's some evolutions and tweaks but largely Radiohead has been Radiohead for a long while. If you compare the bends to Moon Shaped Pool of course they're different, but compare Undertow and 10,000 days and they're different too. Like Toriyama, Tool found a sound that's pretty indistinguishably theirs and they'll likely stick to it. Radiohead did too.

If you really want bold new change then I guess go listen to Ulver or something. A bunch of old rockers who've only put out a few albums probably aren't going to be reinventing sound here.
You don't think Kid A was a big shift for them?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Good post. So yeah, don't get me wrong. I love "simple" music, I often find more complexity in minimalism if done right. It's not a competition to have the most complicated or challenging music, I just find it weird when people call Tool "complex", because it's really not. And that's not a bad thing either.

I think people hang onto stereotypes from fans and memes that should probably be long dead. A lot of fans thought Tool were so complex back in the day because compared to the rest of the shit on the radio at the time of Lateralus they kinda were. I mean compare it to Creed, Nickleback, Staind, Godsmack, etc.

But that's from the limited worldview of a high schooler.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
You don't think Kid A was a big shift for them?
Sure it was a decent shift but since then have they shifted again? No, they found their voice and have mostly been evolving it.

And personally I think that evolution has largely involved adding back in elements of the band's dna they had on The Bends and Pablo Honey but tried to bury for one experiment on Kid A.

It's really not an out of nowhere shift and years after the shift you're not begging them to have some big style change presumably because you're still ok with their music. Which is fine.

And I wasn't saying Radiohead didn't change but that Tool also changed about as much. Again, compare Undertow and Lateralus and I think it's a similar difference between The Bends and Kid A.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I think people hang onto stereotypes from fans and memes that should probably be long dead. A lot of fans thought Tool were so complex back in the day because compared to the rest of the shit on the radio at the time of Lateralus they kinda were. I mean compare it to Creed, Nickleback, Staind, Godsmack, etc.

But that's from the limited worldview of a high schooler.

Very good point, never thought of it that way.

Oct 27, 2017

I can see your hot takes on unreleased albums are as spicy as your musings on politics. You must be fun at parties. Do you get invited to those?