• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Seitz didn't yell out wryyy or road roaller da though, so 0/10
I won't lie, I was SUPER bummed about them changing ROAD ROLLAH DA considering how much I was lookin forward to hearing Seitz just shout it, but I've gotten over it.

On the subject of depression and seasonal affective disorder, one thing that works for me is cleaning.

It might sound silly, but keeping your room clean is a nice way to move a bit, and you can say you did something. There's nothing worse than being in a funk, and feeling lazy on top of it.
This is absolutely true. When I got a new vacuum for Christmas, the same week, I used it & it made me realize just how bad my carpet was due to having a cheap $20 one that's more of a hand vacuum that you put a stick on & it can "clean" the floor. It also gives you a feeling that you accomplished something.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I won't lie, I was SUPER bummed about them changing ROAD ROLLAH DA considering how much I was lookin forward to hearing Seitz just shout it, but I've gotten over it.

This is absolutely true. When I got a new vacuum for Christmas, the same week, I used it & it made me realize just how bad my carpet was due to having a cheap $20 one that's more of a hand vacuum that you put a stick on & it can "clean" the floor. It also gives you a feeling that you accomplished something.
also you can walk around barefoot without being disgusted

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
heck yeah vol 5 of HxH bluray came out today and mine came in. eps 76-99.

probably only need 2 more volumes to finish it out.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I somehow got this press release and i figure some people here might be interested. Basically a US theater run for the dub of A Silent Voice. I know it was in Europe but not sure if it has been in the US prior.

Naoko Yamada's Animated Masterpiece, 'A Silent Voice,' Back in U.S. Cinemas for Two Days only

Eleven Arts and Fathom Events Partner to Bring Movie Anime Feature to 500-Plus Big Screens Nationwide on Monday, January 28 and Thursday, January 31

DENVER - January 14, 2018 – ELEVEN Arts and Fathom Events are proud to announce the return of director Naoko Yamada's stunningly animated coming-of-age drama "A Silent Voice." The hit Japanese film is a moving depiction of the struggles of adolescence told through its memorable characters and beautiful animation. In addition to the full feature, attendees will view a short feature and interview with the dub voice of Shoko Nishimiya, Lexi Cowden, from a deaf community group, where she talks about her experience and how it relates to the film.

Tickets for "A Silent Voice" are available now online atwww.FathomEvents.com and at participating box offices.

"A Silent Voice" comes to move than 500 U.S. cinemas on Monday, January 28 (in Japanese, subtitled in English) and Thursday, January 31 at 7:00 p.m. local time (dubbed in English). For a complete list of theater locations, visit the Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change).

"A Silent Voice" is based on Yoshitoki Oima's manga of the same name, and the plot centers on a deaf girl, Shoko Nishimiya. After transferring into a new school, Shoko is bullied by the popular Shoya Ishida. As Shoya continues to bully Shoko the class turns its back on him. Shoko transfers and Shoya grows up as an outcast. Alone and depressed, the regretful Shoya finds Shoko to make amends.

The English dub cast includes Robbie Daymond as Shoya Ishida, Ryan Shanahan as Shoya (older), Kira Buckland as Naoka Ueno, Gia Grace as Naoka (older), Amber Lee Conners as Miki Kawai, Annabelle Coriglianoas Miki (older), Melissa Hope as Miyoko Sahara, Catie Harvery as Miyoko (older), Michael Sinterniklaas as Kazuki Shimada, Spencer Rosen as Kazuki (older), Kristen Sullivan as Yuzuru Nishimiya, Lipica Shah as Yaeko Nishimiya, Janis Carol as Ito Nishimiya, Sara Cravens as Miyoko Ishida, and Graham Halstead as Nagatsuka.

"We are pleased to partner again with our friends at ELEVEN Arts to bring another highly-anticipated title to American shores," Fathom Events CEO Ray Nutt said. "Beyond its sheer entertainment value, the hit 'A Silent Voice' deals with timely themes and important subject matter."

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
the press release title does say "back in US" and it was in the US in theaters way back in 2017, dub was in feb 2018.

Surprised you got the press release now, considering this rerun was announced in November 2018. (Your press release is also dated January 2018)
Sometimes press releases get expanded scope coverage over time as they filter through various PR agencies, but yeah got this literally 16 minutes ago lol.

Also I totally admit to ignorance in anime announcements because it's not my thing.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see A Silent Voice, but we almost never get Fathom Event films anymore, which really bums me out considering I went to every Rifftrax.

Meanwhile, pre-order ticket sales for Broly at my theater have been going surprisingly well, with some college students asking if they can get group rates to see the film. But at the same time, we're a college town, I always figured Dragon Ball would click for a lot of college students considering they're probably the right age to go "OH YEAH, I SAW THAT SHOW AS A KID!"

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see A Silent Voice, but we almost never get Fathom Event films anymore, which really bums me out considering I went to every Rifftrax.

Meanwhile, pre-order ticket sales for Broly at my theater have been going surprisingly well, with some college students asking if they can get group rates to see the film. But at the same time, we're a college town, I always figured Dragon Ball would click for a lot of college students considering they're probably the right age to go "OH YEAH, I SAW THAT SHOW AS A KID!"
Dragon ball has always been very popular zonic it just didn't have a lot of new content before battle of gods

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I should've specified that I say that after the fact we never got Battle of Gods & Resurrection F, yet we're getting this one. So either there was enough demand (the main reason why we don't get Funimation's films) or we just needed something to help pad out the January line-up.

Either way, it sounds like the demographic that I figured would be into this film are indeed the ones who are mainly pre-ordering their tickets. I still have to see about getting one for myself, I can't get into a sold-out movie with my employee discount since they want to favor paying customers (perfectly fair), but at the same time, I don't feel like spending $13 to see a movie.

Oct 25, 2017
I should've specified that I say that after the fact we never got Battle of Gods & Resurrection F, yet we're getting this one. So either there was enough demand (the main reason why we don't get Funimation's films) or we just needed something to help pad out the January line-up.

Either way, it sounds like the demographic that I figured would be into this film are indeed the ones who are mainly pre-ordering their tickets. I still have to see about getting one for myself, I can't get into a sold-out movie with my employee discount since they want to favor paying customers (perfectly fair), but at the same time, I don't feel like spending $13 to see a movie.
i thought theater people can watch things in private

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
i thought theater people can watch things in private
Yes & no. We have employee screenings the night before, which are more about making sure the movie runs properly, but employees are allowed to join in. I think after hours, if there's a projectionist who wants to run something & gets the OK from the manager, they can watch a DVD/Blu-Ray they brought in. Otherwise, I don't think we can just show a film currently in theaters whenever we want.

For something that's a limited time thing like a Fathom Event, there's no pre-screening.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Eleven Arts has been generally terrible both with the size of their theateical release, and putting their stuff on Blu-Ray/DVD. A lot of their stuff doesn't run in my state at all, which is annoying, and the majority of their titles do not have a home video release, making it difficult to buy.

Luckily, they seem to know this which is why they're re-releasing a lot of their stuff with wider distribution via Fathom and partnering with Right Stuf (I think) to do home releases.

Also, a bit unrelated, but In this Corner of the World > A Silent Voice > Your Name as far as 2017 anime movies go (IMO of course). For how much hype there was, I found Your Name to be very average, but quite enjoyed the other two, especially In This Corner of the World.

Last edited:

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Videl just realized that she wouldnt be much help to Goku/Vegeta and would be more of a nuisance. it's the same thing Yamcha did and arguably other Human characters who stopped fighting once those guys showed up.

Maybe Videl was also trying to become a great martial artist to impress her fraud father and when she found out that her fraud father was in fact, a fraud, her understanding of the martial arts itself shifted tremendously. Maybe she got PTSD from almost being killed by Spopocich, and didnt enjoy the kill or be kiled nature of the fights that Goku would take part in.

Videl stopping fighting isn't the thing i'd want her to do, but it isn't like it's out of character. She's a teenager when she first meets Gohan, and I dont find it surprising that one of the human characters in the show would stop interest with fighting once they grow up. Gohan trained under a God and is far stronger then practically most gods in this universe, if your goal was to become the worlds strongest to impress your dad, I could see once that goal isnt attainable you may focus on actually enjoying life.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe she got PTSD from almost being killed by Spopocich

Sometimes it bugs me that the show doesn't delve into stuff like that. Perhaps it's for the best since it's focused on being entertainment, but it can be so jarring to see stuff like Videl's neutered personality, and having to rely on headcanon to explain it since the show is of no help.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that beating Spopovich gave her is hard to watch/read

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it bugs me that the show doesn't delve into stuff like that. Perhaps it's for the best since it's focused on being entertainment, but it can be so jarring to see stuff like Videl's neutered personality, and having to rely on headcanon to explain it since the show is of no help.
I mean, Krillin and Yamcha both felt some type of stress after dying. it makes sense Goku and Vegeta wouldnt have those things, so it's never really delved into to much because the focus is generally on them.

Dragon Ball is a lot easier if you don't think about it to much anyway.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
"Man, just what is this Promised Neverland series that everyone says is worth checking out, they never mention WHY it's worth checking out"

*hears summary of episode 1*

"....OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH, now I see why I should check it out"

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Krillin and Yamcha both felt some type of stress after dying. it makes sense Goku and Vegeta wouldnt have those things, so it's never really delved into to much because the focus is generally on them.

Dragon Ball is a lot easier if you don't think about it to much anyway.

Yea I know, but at the same time I totally get why people can't help but ask questions for sooooo much stuff that happens in the show lol

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
"Man, just what is this Promised Neverland series that everyone says is worth checking out, they never mention WHY it's worth checking out"

*hears summary of episode 1*

"....OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH, now I see why I should check it out"
of course they had to spoil it lol

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
The fact I've remained ignorant of what TPN even is, is nothing short of a miracle. And I'm glad for it, feels like the show will work best going in 100% blind.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
The fact I've remained ignorant of what TPN even is, is nothing short of a miracle. And I'm glad for it, feels like the show will work best going in 100% blind.
Absolutely. Over the years, I've went into less anime (or games & such) going blind since I'm more selective over what I watch, but now that I actually know what it's about, I actually feel WAY more interested in hearing about it and will just say it's similar to something like Happy Sugar Life (I think), Narutaru, or Madoka Magica.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I go into everything blind nowadays because I enjoy the games more when I come in with no expectations

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't mind if I get spoiled on most things. Granted, I also think the word spoiled is too vague.

Knowing X character exists is not a spoiler 9 times out of 10.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't mind if I get spoiled on most things. Granted, I also think the word spoiled is too vague.

Knowing X character exists is not a spoiler 9 times out of 10.

Speaking of there's actually a character that appears(still image of I think) who is a spoiler for something that happens during the tournament of power just based on their design

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Ya know, the more I replay Bowser's Inside Story, the more I miss the sense of progression & getting stronger while learning new moves in the original M&L, not to mention in the original Paper Mario games.

After Partners in Time, you just....learn new Bros. Attacks with random items, where as in the original, it would be tied in with the new move you'd learn for outside of battle, like drilling into the ground. Plus you could actually level up your hammer, so not only were you able to access new areas & gain new items with the moves for the map, but said moves would also act as Bros. Attacks in battle. & there was the ability to unlock "advanced" versions of said moves if you were able to constantly pull the move off, which added another level of making said moves enjoyable to use. It made them feel less situational & more actual skills.

With Paper Mario, it was great in that almost every chapter would either give you a new partner, stronger boots, or a better hammer, which in turn not only let you perform new moves, but also made you stronger in battle. You always got someone new that helped out both outside of & during battle, or a new hammer or boots which made said attack stronger in battle, which in turn gave you a good feeling of progression and such. & that's not to mention the badges that allowed you to customize which special moves and abilities you wanted during battles.

We all know Paper Mario's fate & while I still enjoy the M&L series (Paper Jam might be my 2nd favorite), I do miss how, for example, drilling into the ground, also meant a new attack instead of "oh, I can finally get those beans in the ground & progress through the story", plus you can't upgrade your hammer anymore or get the elemental attacks. You never really use any new normal attacks & honestly, when you get a new Bros. Attack, it almost makes the previous one obsolete. Why should I use the shell when there's like 3 other better attacks, some of which can attack multiple enemies at once? Actually, now that I think about it, Bowser is probably the exception because his special moves actually make sense in that you learn them after finding your minions like a group of Goombas, & then they help out during battle, but he still only has his punch & fire as his normal moves.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Is the 3ds version of BiS out yet?
Yeah, came out last Friday.

Part of me wants to replay Partners in Time just to see if it's as "bad" (more tedious than anything due to the bosses having ridiculous amounts of HP) as I remember it, considering if I rebuy that & Dream Team, I'll own the entire series in one way. Still have my Superstar Saga cartridge that I got as a kid one Christmas, though I sold off PiT, BIS, & Dream Team over the years. I know Dream Team has the flaw of being rather padded, but I still enjoyed it just because of the two different ways to battle and honestly, despite PiT easily being the weakest, there's really no "bad" M&L game for me.

I will say the pacing of BIS feels a bit weird. You can have super long stretches where you only play as one character, or you finally get to play as M&L again...only to do one of those mini-games that's not really fun. At one point, you have to play the same mini-game THREE TIMES IN A ROW. Also I was never a fan of the giant battles, they were just too slow for my tastes. I actually was kinda glad they were gone & replace with a different giant battle in Paper Jam.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Whens the next Nintendo direct so I can be disappointed at no wonderful 101 switch port still

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Man, not only is Travis Strikes Again in a few days (which is why I'm trying to beat BIS), but I keep forgetting we're 2 weeks away from Kingdom Hearts III....which is nuts to think is so damn close.

Meanwhile, I really need to try & play the Jump Force beta this weekend. Think there's only one or two times that work out for me & I missed out on the last one due to my friend asking for me to cover for him at the last minute. Considering what's coming out in March, I may cancel my pre-order & just wait for a sale considering how many times J-Stars has been discounted.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Also that Mon hun world expansion better have fuckin' Ukanlos

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Disney ever entrust the making of star wars games to only one publisher

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

It's like, we kind of got that with Krillin with his mini arc but that really just amounted to "lol, stop being a wimp and get your fighting spirit back."

Status
Not open for further replies.