• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
There's a few in-joke thread titles I wanna suggest/joke about, but I need to wait a bit for some stuff to happen on the block, like if D.C. Douglas is teasing who I think he's voicing next.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems more to me like store brand hot dogs
giphy.gif

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Shonen Paella is a more apt metaphor as undercooked Paella is the worst thing on the planet and it really is a mix and match of what on paper sounds like a good idea. Naruto and Bleach are the proteins.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking it over, 2018 was surprisingly great for anime:

- Asobi Asobase
- FLCL Alternative
- Jojo Part 5
- Hinamatsuri
- Skullface Bookseller Honda-San
- Grand Blue
- Hi-Score Girl
- Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku
- Zombieland Saga
- MHA Season 3

& that's not counting the shows I haven't seen but heard plenty of praise for like Violet Evergarden, Planet With, Banana Fish, Dragon Pilot, Happy Sugar Life, Laid-Back Camp, Reincarnated as a Slime, Steins;Gate Zero, Devilman Crybaby, Place Further than the Universe, Bunny Girl Senpai, SAO GGO, Cells at Work, & more.

Meanwhile, Toonami gave us Jojo Part 4, MHA, FLCL Alternative, & Mob Psycho 100.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking it over, 2018 was surprisingly great for anime:

- Asobi Asobase
- FLCL Alternative
- Jojo Part 5
- Hinamatsuri
- Skullface Bookseller Honda-San
- Grand Blue
- Hi-Score Girl
- Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku
- Zombieland Saga
- MHA Season 3

& that's not counting the shows I haven't seen but heard plenty of praise for like Violet Evergarden, Planet With, Banana Fish, Dragon Pilot, Happy Sugar Life, Laid-Back Camp, Reincarnated as a Slime, Steins;Gate Zero, Devilman Crybaby, Place Further than the Universe, Bunny Girl Senpai, SAO GGO, Cells at Work, & more.

Meanwhile, Toonami gave us Jojo Part 4, MHA, FLCL Alternative, & Mob Psycho 100.
I think 2017 was better on the whole, but yeah a lot of stuff came out of nowhere this year. I made a top 10 if anyone wants to check it out.

Also, CKOHLER I finished up the Best OP nominees and put them in the spreadsheet. I'll finish Best ED tomorrow.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Best ED's biggest argument is gonna be "What're the two runner-ups to Star Overhead?"

I think 2017 was better on the whole, but yeah a lot of stuff came out of nowhere this year. I made a top 10 if anyone wants to check it out.
I think part of what made this year great, especially after seeing your list, is just how much variety there was. & even the show that didn't click with me, like Aggretsuko, I didn't dislike them and can see why they got popular.

Maybe I should watch Laid-Back Camp as my after-work show. That's how I watched Polar Bear Cafe since it was a calm/laid-back enough show to just wind down & enjoy before going to bed, but couldn't find something in a similar vain, but considering Laid-Back is literally in the title of the show, I should check it out.

Really, the only real "bad" shows I recall hearing about was SAO S2 & Goblin Slayer, and those are more "they had to include THAT as a plot element" than "yeah, the show overall sucks"....well, okay, I guess FLCL Progressive was probably one of the "worse" shows but if that's the "worst" thing I saw all year, that's pretty alright by me.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018
Out of curiosity how exactly bad is the anime adaptation of Black Clover? I've only read the manga so far and its decent enough so I was interested in checking out the anime, I mean how bad could it be?

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity how exactly bad is the anime adaptation of Black Clover? I've only read the manga so far and its decent enough so I was interested in checking out the anime, I mean how bad could it be?

Bad pacing. There's already filler in the first few episodes. Every time we see the Black Bulls they have to remind us of their one character quirk and it's annoying.
And speaking of annoying, Asta's Japanese voice!

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Black clover anime is paced very slowly compared to the manga and has shit on average animation

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
also they say wizard king a lot.

like, 197 times within the first 50 episodes if you don't count the repeating intro a lot.

Dec 28, 2018
Woof that art is rough looking and man that animation is pretty bad, though I can't help but laugh at it though.
Bad pacing. There's already filler in the first few episodes. Every time we see the Black Bulls they have to remind us of their one character quirk and it's annoying.
And speaking of annoying, Asta's Japanese voice!
Bad pacing is what made me drop the One Piece anime so hearing that the Black Clover anime has bad pacing is a pretty big turn off for me. And having to rely on filler as well isn't a good sign either, have yet to find an anime that has any good filler. Haven't heard Asta's voice actor but I have heard that he yells quite often.
Black clover anime is paced very slowly compared to the manga and has shit on average animation
Sounds like to me that I'm better off avoiding the Black Clover anime all together.

Oct 25, 2017
The anime is an satisfying adaptation that enhances and in some cases uses the medium to accentuate character traits to make them come to life in a way that the manga doesnt. Additionally by adapting the LN, it fixes one of the more criticisms that some people have brought to the table. Most impressively, is that the original content adds more Yuno content further showing how close YunoAsta are. The varying anime pacing has been optimized to really deliver the maximum emotional drama that Tabata is a master of.

Overall, after watching every episode at least 3 times, and the special ova's (games ova is a must watch for Yami fans), Ive found BLack Clover to be one of my favorite animes.

Dec 28, 2018
The anime is an satisfying adaptation that enhances and in some cases uses the medium to accentuate character traits to make them come to life in a way that the manga doesnt. Additionally by adapting the LN, it fixes one of the more criticisms that some people have brought to the table. Most impressively, is that the original content adds more Yuno content further showing how close YunoAsta are. The varying anime pacing has been optimized to really deliver the maximum emotional drama that Tabata is a master of.

Overall, after watching every episode at least 3 times, and the special ova's (games ova is a must watch for Yami fans), Ive found BLack Clover to be one of my favorite animes.
I dunno from what the others said it sounds like this anime has pacing issues, bad animation/art, has filler, and if you ask me that doesn't sound like a very satisfactory adaptation, it sounds rather bad honestly. I might give it a try to formulate my own opinion but I don't have very high hopes after what I've heard now.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno from what the others said it sounds like this anime has pacing issues, bad animation/art, has filler, and if you ask me that doesn't sound like a very satisfactory adaptation, it sounds rather bad honestly. I might give it a try to formulate my own opinion but I don't have very high hopes after what I've heard now.
Don't fall into DTL's Genjutsu, just glance at his comment, snicker and walk away.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I like about the black clover anime(haven't read the manga) is Yami

Dec 28, 2018
Don't fall into DTL's Genjutsu, just glance at his comment, snicker and walk away.
I have come across some other comments he made before while lurking and all I can say is that the dude has some rather unique takes.
The only thing I like about the black clover anime(haven't read the manga) is Yami
As someone who has read the manga up to chapter 40, Yami is pretty good and easily the best Black Bull member other than Charmy.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM:

FIRST AIRING: 1979

OVERVIEW: The granddaddy of them all, the godfather of "real robot" and the Japanese Star Wars. Everything about the series you love, and most of what you hate, originates here. Radar being useless, nuclear powered walking death mobiles with knockoff light sabers, knockoff jedi in the Newtypes, kids who think the adults are ruining everything, rebellious Space Nazis getting the upper hand on the New World Order World Government that has its own problems before some plucky young kids hop aboard the latest and greatest space carrier with a newly commissioned officer getting a field promotion, struggling to get to safety while being pursued by said space nazis with their only hope being a nerdy teenager who jumped in the giant robot named Gundam and reads the manual as he goes along. The show is so successful that some of its sequels follow this example note for note only slightly changing some of the experiences around.

BRIGHT SPOT: Bright Noa. Oh, you'd think I'd give it to Char, whose popularity led to the softing of the space nazis in future shows and is easily the coolest person in UC Gundam, but no. Bright Noa, namely so I could name this bit after him. That and he is the glue that holds the UC together, appearing in the first three series, the most important movie (even though it sucks) and more recently in Gundam Unicorn. That's more than Amuro and Char combined, both of which missed ZZ entirely and were dead in Unicorn. His real star turn isn't until ZZ arguably, but his signature bright slap is another staple of the series.

SHOULD YOU WATCH IT: Maybe. I really like it and as a piece of anime history it's something that you should watch for no other reason than the exhaustive impact it has on the history of anime. The only show more influential than it is Dragon Ball. Story wise it's got a lot of villain of the week but the tone is just so different than a lot of other shows of the era.

WOULD I HANG OUT WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER?: Amuro Ray is a neeeeeerd. He's also a bit whiny, but give him a break, his life got turned upside down by this whole nonsense and he's got the lives of the entire ship in his hand. So yes, I would hang out with Amuro Ray.

THE RANKING:

Mobile Suit Gundam

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I have to say, looking over at the "Anime of the Year" nomination thread, the whole "must be a Japanese production" rule is starting to become more and more arbitrary the more market continues to expand. Like legit, I think Castlevania was one of the better series this year.

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, looking over at the "Anime of the Year" nomination thread, the whole "must be a Japanese production" rule is starting to become more and more arbitrary the more market continues to expand. Like legit, I think Castlevania was one of the better series this year.
Was Castlevania, animated by a tv studio in texas, really an "expansion of the market?" Would other western adult animated shows then need to be added to anime of the year threads? Bob's burgers? etc? Should Spiderverse be allowed in the Anime film of the year category?

Also, its not like Baki or Devilman Crybaby were not japanese productions.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
So I watched Anchorman for the first time. (I don't watch movies, don't bully me.)

I feel like there's a lot of jokes that don't work at all, but the talented cast delivers them at such speed it kinda overcomes that.

It's okay I guess.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tiger & Bunny marathon complete. Where's my T&B/MHA crossover episode?

Also, I guess you can say Endeavor is more lucky than Mr. Legend. At least his kid didn't end up killing him for a shit parent....yet

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
|OT| Is 2019 the main villain of Part 4?

....actually, legit question for new viewers, & I'm not gonna reply with teasing or whatever because I want the freshest reactions, just asking out of curiosity. We're at episode 17 of Jojo this weekend out of 39. How much longer do you think we have until we see/learn who the actual villain of Part 4 is?

Oct 25, 2017
|OT| Is 2019 the main villain of Part 4?

....actually, legit question for new viewers, & I'm not gonna reply with teasing or whatever because I want the freshest reactions, just asking out of curiosity. We're at episode 17 of Jojo this weekend out of 39. How much longer do you think we have until we see/learn who the actual villain of Part 4 is?
What I think the next two eps imply for the universe of Jojo is fucking hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.