• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Happy Science might be the most cult name imaginable.

I don't know if I would consider a show like Wotakoi a slice of life tho. That show has a lot of focus on romance. The romance in that show is the reason it exists.

When I say slice of life, I mean shows where characters, mostly young women if we're gonna be honest, just hang around and talk. They might have a goal, but it's so far off it might as well not exist.
Wotakoi is more slice of life than straight romance. They get together in the first episode and that's about it for drama.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM ZZ:

FIRST AIRING: March 1986

OVERVIEW: The three way war between the AEUG, Axis Zeon, and the Titans is over...but the cost was deadly. The EF is in tatters after the civil war, the Argama barely survived, Kamille is comatose, Fa is ready to leave with him, and all the other pilots are dead or got their ass kicked by Haman like Char did. Who the fuck even knows where Amuro is. Bright, despite being a young man at this point, is too old for this shit. The newly named Neo Zeon is now in a position to cause trouble for earth and its colonies with Haman leading the charge...when somebody makes an awful, horrible mistake. They kidnap Judau Ashta's little sister. Judau and his friends are junk dealers who want to steal the Zeta and sell it for parts you see, but he's forced into dealing with Neo Zeon after a blond pedophile not named Char Aznable ends up kidnapping his sister. ZZ is wacky for the first half. The Gundam team lead by Judau fights off increasingly bumbling forces from Neo Zeon all while trying to get his sister back. The first half of the series is Gundam The Big Lebowski. The second half is the start of the Federation being absolutely spineless and useless as it spins the dark tale of Dublin getting a colony dropped on it and the Gundam Team taking out Haman once and for all.

MECHA: Horrible. ZZ is an ugly suit. Zeon just has a bunch of super chunky, brightly colored, slightly different Zaku looking things. Queen Mansa at least looks okay and there's a whole bunch of extra Qubeley's running around.

MAIN CAST: Besides Judau and a couple of returning characters this is mainly not a great crew of people. The rest of the gundam team are pretty annoying. A completely fried Bright who just lets Judau do whatever he pleases is a weird change of pace. Haman should just give up on being evil and try living a normal life. Elpeo Ple gives us another enhanced newtype, this time instead of a quiet girl with no emotions you get a rowdy girl who is in love with the main character. Glemmy is here because Char was too busy filming Char's Counterattack, which is why he turns ultra serious in the last half. Glemmy sucks and is a horrible human being.

BRIGHT SPOT: Judau. I'm pretty damn sure this is the only time the main character will ever win this award. He is a singular treat. He's the strongest newtype in the series besides maybe Shakti and her mom, who have miraculous powers. But he's also a really shitty pilot. He just wants to get rich/get his sister back. I swear all the little sister stuff in anime dates back to ZZ, including having another character who is jealous of not being said little sister. Anyways who cares about all that, Judau is a riot. He's voiced by the same VA who does Franky/Bon Clay.

SHOULD YOU WATCH IT: Hmm, probably not unless you are a giant Gundam fan. It's not as iconic as MSG. It's not really that important to the series as a whole like Zeta is. It doesn't really look or sound as nice as Zeta does... but it does have heart. The show is genuinely funny during the first half at various points, and it's just weirdly amusing to see Bright this burnt out. The final act has some great battle stuff and becomes deadly serious again, which is completely off tone from the first 60% of the series.

WOULD I HANG OUT WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER?: Yes but he'd leave right away to go save his sister.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
when dtl says something is a classic my suspicion meter is at about 60%

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow is going to be a double feature as I get the plot important OVAS and movies out the way: 0080, 0083, Char's Counterattack. Maybe 08th MS Team as well. Gundam Victory will also be done. F91 can go to hell. I suppose I should write something about it, but like the rest of the movies/OVAs it will just be a few words.

Saturday is MOBILE FIGHTER G GUNDAM. Sunday is Gundam Wing. Monday would be After War Gundam X. Tuesday would be Turn A Gundam. Meaning Wednesday will be Gundam SEED and Thursday would be Gundam SEED Destiny. So a week from today DTL. Next Friday would be Gundam 00 season 1, and Saturday would be 00 Season 2, because combining both shows would make my writing about as disjointed as ZZ. Next Sunday would be Gundam AGE. Monday would be the show that saved anime, Gundam Build Fighters. Tuesday is Build Fighters Try. Wednesday is Reconguista in G if I finish it by then, if not then Iron Blooded Orphans. Followed by Unicron:RE 0096 or whatever it's called. Finally Gundam Build Divers, the other show I need to finish. I suspect both Build Divers and Reconguista might be a bit after the rest.

EDIT: Slight change of plans. I'll do 08th MS Team and Endless Waltz on Monday along with After War Gundam X. A good pairing as I don't have much to say about Gundam X.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Ed Edd n' Eddy is better than all of those

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Ed Edd n Eddy is the ultimate anime.
0b0.jpg

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprised all the marketing for that show has kept the main premise a secret still

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
promised neverland is a cool series, if the adaptation is a good one i'd be thrilled to see it on toonami

Dec 28, 2018
I hope that the adaptation of The Promised Neverland turns out good but the ones adapting it, CloverWorks, don't exactly have a great track record. Hope they prove me wrong but as of right now my expectations for this show are lowered.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Is it wrong to dream that Adult Swim could get the rights to Futurama back, and then air the show just before Toonami?

Is it wrong to dream of a better world?

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that the adaptation of The Promised Neverland turns out good but the ones adapting it, CloverWorks, don't exactly have a great track record. Hope they prove me wrong but as of right now my expectations for this show are lowered.

I haven't seen it yet, but Bunny Girl Senpai seems like one of the more well received anime this year.

Dec 28, 2018
I haven't seen it yet, but Bunny Girl Senpai seems like one of the more well received anime this year.
I haven't watched it yet either but I did hear good things about it. It's still not enough for me to get my hopes up for the The Promised Neverland adaptation however. It's just as someone who's watched some of there other shows, they always turn out to be rather mediocre and I can't help but shake the feeling that because of this the adaptation will turn out to be rather mediocre. But as I said before I'd love for them to prove me wrong.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope The Promised Neverland turns out good. Know absolutely nothing about it, but I'm interested in it, and don't want to have to read the manga for the definitive version.

Oct 26, 2017
From what I've seen of Promised Neverland's manga art, that animation is way too stiff.

Is it wrong to dream that Adult Swim could get the rights to Futurama back, and then air the show just before Toonami?

Is it wrong to dream of a better world?

Speaking of which, idk what the hell is up with [AS] programming sometimes.

Tigtone looks so chromosomally deficient it should've ended up like Frida Kahlo's baby: In a formaldehyde jar locked away from society.

GO VOTE FOOLS

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Needless to say, you guys have less than 24 hours left for nominations and I've received *checks notes* 4 sets. So, here's the post again.

Nominations are now open for the 2018 ToonamiERA Awards!

Nominations will be accepted for the following categories:

Worst Moment
Best Moment
Best Power/Weapon/Ability
Best Name
Best Dressed
Best Fight
Best Villain
Worst Character
Best Character (Male)
Best Character (Female)
Biggest Disappointment
Best Surprise
Best Performance by a Voice Actor
Best Performance by a Voice Actress

You may make up to 3 nominations for each category, and you may only make nominations from the following shows that aired new episodes this year:

Dragon Ball Super
Dragon Ball Z Kai
Black Clover
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans S2
Hunter x Hunter
Naruto Shippuden
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations
Outlaw Star
My Hero Academia
FLCL Progressive
FLCL Alternative
Pop Team Epic
Attack on Titan S3
Mob Psycho 100

Lupin the Third Part IV and Megalo Box are not eligible for awards due to not airing enough episodes this year.

Furthermore, here is MetatronM's schedule post for the first Toonami of 2018.

A few quick guidelines on a few of the categories:

Best/Worst Moment: Any nomination must be for a specific moment or scene. No "everytime x happens" or "all of x" will be accepted.
Best Power/Weapon/Ability: No real rules here beyond it must be something used by a character or characters, not a character themselves.
Best Villain: You may still nominate a group of villains if you so choose.

Feel free to post your nominations in the thread, but please try and also PM them to me. I can only guarantee nominations that are PM'd to me will be included.

Nominations will no longer be accepted at midnight EST on Jan 4.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Worst Moment- Naruto Shippuden being put at 10:00 PM, and just derailing any sort of flow to the block
Best Moment- the announcement of the January schedule, starting the block at 11:00 again and moving Shippuden to the 3:00AM death Slot

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
let's be honest anyone who still cares about the naruto series already read the manga/watched shippuden a long time ago

Oct 25, 2017
shippuden naruto is an anime that needs to remain a mainstay and was a blessing to be aired at such an awesome time. Its still the most definitive anime and never gets old rewatching it.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Needless to say, you guys have less than 24 hours left for nominations and I've received *checks notes* 4 sets.

In case you missed one:

Hellwarden
Moara
Morlas
Seda
crimsonECHIDNA
UltraGunner

Here are mine:

Worst Moment: Roshi Harassment
Best Moment: Hellshake Yano (Pop Team Epic)
Best Power/Weapon/Ability: The World (Stardust Crusaders)
Best Name: Julius Novachrono (Black Clover)
Best Dressed: Jotaro Kujo (Diamond is Unbreakable)
Best Fight: Ochaco vs Bakugo (My Hero Academia)
Best Villain: DIO (Stardust Crusaders)
Worst Character: Gauche (Black Clover)
Best Character (Male): Tenya Iida (My Hero Academia)
Best Character (Female): Historia Reiss (Attack on Titan)
Biggest Disappointment: FLCL Progressive
Best Surprise: Toonami in Japanese for April Fools
Best Performance by a Voice Actor: Christopher Sabat as All Might (My Hero Academia)
Best Performance by a Voice Actress: Megan Taylor Harvey as Kana Koumoto (FLCL Alternative)

Oct 25, 2017
Nominations are now open for the 2018 ToonamiERA Awards!

Nominations will no longer be accepted at midnight EST on Jan 4.

Worst Moment:
  • -Ride crying as he watches Orga die (IBO)
  • -Shino dying after missing his shot (IBO)
  • -Kakyoin dies (JJBA SC)
Best Moment:
  • -Asta, Ms. Vanessa, Finral team up against Vetto (BC)
  • -Mikazuki saves Ride on Mars (IBO)
  • -Yamagi rides on Shino and clutches his chest as Shino supports him in the cockpit (IBO)
Best Power/Weapon/Ability:
  • -Asta antimagic (BC)
  • -Lightning God Killua (HxH)
  • -Boruto shadow clone jutsu (B)
Best Name:
  • -Denki Kaminari (HeroAca)
  • -Ride M'*** (IBO)
  • -Shikadai (B)
Best Dressed:
  • -Killua (HxH)
  • -Boruto (B)
Best Fight:
  • -BLack Bulls vs Vetto (BC)
  • -Asta/Yami vs Licht (BC)
  • -everyone versus the mobile armor Hashmal (IBO)
Best Villain:
  • -Shigaraki Tomura (HeroAca)
  • -Naruto's clones (Shippuden)
  • -Eye of the Midnight Sun (BC)
Worst Character:
  • -Rustal Elion (IBO)
  • -King (meruem) (hxh)
  • -Froppy (HeroAca)
Best Character (Male):
  • -Killua (hxh)
  • -Ride (IBO)
Best Character (Female):
  • -none were worth mentioning
Biggest Disappointment:
  • -FLCL sequels
  • -Pop Team Epic
  • -Goten/Trunks/Gotenks lack of presence in DragonBall Super major moments
Best Surprise:
  • -BLack Clover staying ahead of HxH
  • -Naruto Shippuden Boruto power hour
  • -Boruto
Best Performance by a Voice Actor:
  • -Shirtless, barefooted, chained Eren freed and putting it all on the line with his passionate emotion filled act, better in Eng than in JPN
Best Performance by a Voice Actress:
  • -Killua

Last edited:

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Worst Moment
Master Roshi

Best Moment:
https://youtu.be/4mGXJOBASss

Best Name
Hellshake Yano

Best Dressed
Haruko

Best Fight
Mob vs Teru

Best Villain
https://youtu.be/7ePWNmLP0Z0
ytma!▶ZA WARUDO (0:05)isolated ZA WARUDO sound clip

Worst Character
Everybody's favorite fuckboy in IBO, Iok.

Best Character (Male)
Polneraff - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3

Best Character (Female)
Mossan - FLCL 3

Biggest Disappointment
Progressive

Best Surprise
Turning 30 years old.

Best Performance by a Voice Actor
Benjamin Diskin - Knuckle

Best Performance by a Voice Actress
Kira Wahlgren - Haruko

The funny thing is My Hero Academia is the stand-out show of the year yet I never nominated a single thing for it so I'll make my own nomination to vote for it:
Best Musical Motif - https://youtu.be/NQQgXk7YIow
ytma!▶My Hero Academia OST - You Say Run (3:48)My Hero Academia OST - You Say Run TV Anime "Boku no Hero Academia" Theme OST --------------------------------------------------- . . .

Last edited:

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I like how DTL got which series Boruto's shadow clones are from wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.