• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
oh no

palm became a freaky fish guy........gal......person.

wait, no, she's bayonetta if she took more inspiration from jojo

Dec 28, 2018
Bet the same people who were saying Kale and Caulifla getting so strong so quickly was bad writing will be praising Broly from the high heavens and except the reason why he's so strong without any complaints. Caulifla and Kale really showed the true nature of a lot of DB fans.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I was never bothered by the whole tingly back sensation explanation to be honest.

Also it's kinda nice that Caulifla wants to get powerful, because she wants to be powerful.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Honestly, there is one particular moment with Kale that I didn't care for in the TOP, but that has less to do with the character and more to do with how inconsistent the writing is going to get in this arc.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Also I'm sad to say that quest, to find the people who got angry about this super episode and shove them into lockers, had to end.

Apparently a full grown man can't go around shoving people into lockers.

Johnny Law won't allow it.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite Caulifla salt is probably
the freak out when she basically told Goku to fuck offf right before the tournament....she had absolutely no reason to be nice to him.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Watching that episode of Super, they could've handled Caulifla going Super Sayan better.

The obvious solution would be to have Kabba go Super Sayan and fight her until she got angry enough. But Super is dumb and inconsistent anyways so I've learned not to put hard rules to what it does.

Not that it diminishes either of their characters. I do like Kale and Caulifla, although as much as some in the thread, lol

Oct 25, 2017
The game's pacing needs a lot of work.
No kidding. I like it, but the pacing is exhausting. Thought I was done after Shido, thought I was done when I got to the depths of Mementos, thought I was done when I first got to the Holy Grail, thought I was done after an hours worth of cutscenes, thought they would just let me go back to the Holy Grail fight, but no it's a fucking dungeon with a ton of almighty god enemies and not enough save points.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It was one of the highest praised shows the year it came out that has highly questionable content from the manga that the anime does a good job reducing for the most part. It's an extremely well made show. Nobody said you have to hate it. It's just harder to recommend without first knowing what your tolerance levels are.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
No kidding. I like it, but the pacing is exhausting. Thought I was done after Shido, thought I was done when I got to the depths of Mementos, thought I was done when I first got to the Holy Grail, thought I was done after an hours worth of cutscenes, thought they would just let me go back to the Holy Grail fight, but no it's a fucking dungeon with a ton of almighty god enemies and not enough save points.
Yeah, the game moves way to quick at the end and is too much of a slog from the summer until the fall.

Oct 25, 2017
It was one of the highest praised shows the year it came out that has highly questionable content from the manga that the anime does a good job reducing for the most part. It's an extremely well made show. Nobody said you have to hate it. It's just harder to recommend without first knowing what your tolerance levels are.
Ok so I either have a very high tolerance or I haven't hit the questionable stuff yet. The whole thing kind of just gives me a Pokemon but played very darkly straight vibe. I've been liking it so far.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Made in the Abyss is a show I haven't watched because even though I'd probably enjoy 90% of it by length, the 10% that I dislike would just sour the whole damn thing and make me not like the show. Like the Ape episode in JoJo if Stardust Crusaders was 13 episodes long.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Made in the Abyss is a show I haven't watched because even though I'd probably enjoy 90% of it by length, the 10% that I dislike would just sour the whole damn thing and make me not like the show. Like the Ape episode in JoJo if Stardust Crusaders was 13 episodes long.

That ape episode is probably worse than anything in Made in Abyss tbh. The stuff in MiA is extreme brief in the anime and very toned down.

The thing that bothers people more is the source material, which is 1000x worse in that regard. So I imagine how much you can enjoy it depends on how much you can separate the anime from the source material.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna give that show a try but then I heard about the questionable content and was like nah better not

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like it, love it, hate it, do w/e ya want with Made in Abyss

All I know is I ain't ever recommending it, and those that do should add a disclaimer. My friends still give me shit for it.... (Should've waited past the 1st episode...)

The obvious solution would be to have Kabba go Super Sayan and fight her until she got angry enough. But Super is dumb and inconsistent anyways so I've learned not to put hard rules to what it does.

But the whole point of Cauli achieving it that way is to show that she's a genius, so doing it the ordinary way doesn't work here.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What matters is how the OP animation is. The song itself is pretty good, though it's hard to top the first one.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I guess. I just never really associated Super Sayan with intellect but with emotion.

Better than 99? Can't believe they didn't just reuse it, it was perfect.

They got the same people who did 99 to do it, but it's a different song.

I think it's quite good but I need to see the visuals to get a full picture

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
COMPLETE.

HAND.

FETISHIZATION.
1411.jpg

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I guess. I just never really associated Super Sayan with intellect but with emotion.

Better than 99? Can't believe they didn't just reuse it, it was perfect.
I mean it was pretty obvious as early as the android saga that super saiyan didn't require them to be angry to use. Plus I think that its neat that she's pretty much did it completely by feeling it out instead of forcing it to happen or someone forcing it out of her.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Speaking of other anime, I'm so bummed people have been sleeping on Gridman. I know all the fanart is over the top, but the story actually stuck the landing.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Early spongebob is some amazing shit.
"The boy cries ya a sweater of tears and ya kill him"
"You've seen this before?"
"Seventeen times."

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The best part of MiA's childish art style was that one article that said it's the perfect anime to watch with your kids after just 3 episodes. I think the author finally removed it after all the body horror became too apparent

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of MiA's childish art style was that one article that said it's the perfect anime to watch with your kids after just 3 episodes. I think the author finally removed it after all the body horror became too apparent
I mean body horror is a thing in kids cartoons case in point
hqdefault.jpg

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM WING:

FIRST AIRING: April 1995

OVERVIEW: Where do you go after G Gundam, and I mean right after G Gundam, the week after it ends? Well, how about going back to the UC? Nah, we're doing the 08th MS Team OVA for that. Well, what about retelling the same basic story as the early UC only completely changing the perspective. What about if the space colonies developed the Gundams to get revenge on the United Earth Federations repeated attempts to squash independence, including killing their peace minded leader and silencing Earth leaders with the same outlook on peace? But what if the people behind the plan wanted something too drastic, like the complete annihilation of earth via repeated colony drops with five invincible Mobile Suits made out of a rare alloy called Gundanium handling the cleanup. What if the scientists who built the gundams decided to change the plan and send five pretty boys with orders to take out the players behind the scene, the global aristocrats who benefit most from a constant state of war and what would the response be from such an organization? Five teenagers with attitude it is then. Then what if the aristocracy pulls a coup using the Gundam boys to take control of the military and the earth government? What if the colonies turn against the boys and join the hegemony? What if a Char like figure shows up to lead the original rebellion with the intent of once again blowing up the earth? Well, you get Gundam Wing, the weird but kinda neat rehashing of MSG through Char's Counterattack in about a year's worth of episodes. Yes, a show of this scope is going to have pacing issues. Yes, like most Gundam shows to this point some of the character motivations are going to be bizarre or frankly unintelligible. But does it all work? Kinda! It looks totally different then what came before; the only way to do series back to back like this is to get a whole bunch of different people on it, and with Wing it really shows. You can squint at G Gundam and notice some character design similarities to Victory, only turned up to 11. But with Wing you get a show where it doesn't really look or sound anything like what came before. More realistic looking faces, more muted colors, it's like the first 90's Gundam show even though we've been in the 90's for awhile now. Some of the mecha look like what came before, Shenlong/Altron are basically a straight knockoff of the Dragon Gundam, Wing Gundam looks kinda like a kitbashed God Gundam but the non Gundam mobile suits look sleek and trim, with a bit of Battletech in there.

MECHA: This is a weird one for me. The Gundams are okay for the most part. Epyon is like an extra 90's version of Master Gundam crossed with a dragon. Wing/Wing Zero grows on you. Sandrock is just there. Heavyarms is a Gundam with guns. Shenlong is...The Dragon Gundam. Deathscythe is every 90's indie comic. But the non gundam mecha are outstanding. I love the zodiac suits, besides having one redundant extra water unit they all show logical progression in the changing realities of this conflict. They are sleek, they look like something a military might use in the weird case where bipedal robots were the solution. I super love the Tallgeese, probably my favorite suit in all of Gundam.

MAIN CAST: Heero Yui is the start of a new type of hero for gundam. The super quiet robot assassin who just wants to get his job done. The rest of the Gundam boys all fit into various stereotypes. The honor one, the smart shy one, the cool hair spy one, the 90's douchebag murder guy with a heart of gold. Releena Peacecraft is the other main character besides the boys and is basically the prototype for Lacus, only she's got more of that early Gundam insane motivation and drive. She goes from student, to would be revenge seeking assassin, to puppet queen of the earth, to a delegate for the new united government. The villains are okay. You get the first real Not Char in Milliardo Peacecraft/Zechs Marquise. He's a better person who also has a phase where he just has to drop a colony on the earth. His best friend/enemy Treize Khushrenada is a honor loving weirdo who might be playing 12th level chess to get ultimate peace or he might just be insane. His assistant had no chill until he taught her how to be chill, which is something. Most of the other hangers on are fun.

BRIGHT SPOT: Surprisingly difficult with this one. No one really stands out. Dorothy's eyebrows would be a great joke answer, but the real answer are the 5 Gundam Scientists. They made the suits. They changed the plan to get some actual justice done. They look like absolute mad scientists. They save the Gundam boys and upgrade the suits while working for the enemy. They go out like ballers. Howard can get an honorary place on their team.

SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?: If you're American/Canadian of a certain age and an anime fan then I daresay you already have! For everyone else though, maybe. The pacing is a bit messed up, understandable with how many facets of war they try to cram into less than 50 episodes. The characters have bizarre motivations, nothing that unusual for Gundam but if you're not prepared for it the actions of characters like Treize, Dorothy, and Releena can seem a bit...unrealistic to say the least.

WOULD I HANG OUT WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER? I like Heero. He's been through a lot. He also gets all the best lines and jokes. Amuro/Kamille never had a joke worth a damn. Domon isn't funny. Judau was. Uso was just too shook to be funny. Let's invite him over.

uSDPVZ7.gif

RANKING:

MOBILE FIGHTER G GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT ZETA GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM WING
MOBILE SUIT VICTORY GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM ZZ

NEXT TIME: War is hell, after war is cursed.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Gundam Wing has a banging soundtrack. I don't think I spent enough time describing it. It's not quite on the level of G Gundam's amazing soundtrack, but it is dope as hell.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I would be too afraid that Heero was gonna get an order to self destruct during dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.