• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
so you guys are saying this jojo part 4 villain is relatable, then

now we also know why shigaraki always has one on his face in mha

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
So did we never get a preview for next episode of super

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I forgot to mention this on Saturday, but it's heavily implied that Yoshikage Kira murdered the birth mother of Shizuka Joestar (the invisible baby). In the episode before Shizuka's debut, we see Kira exist the shower with a severed hand. When it comes time for the episode of Shizuka's debut, the episode begins with a guy calling about his girlfriend ghosting him when he was about to propose & that it wasn't like her to do so. It's implied that the guy is the boyfriend of Shizuka's mother worried that his girlfriend hasn't said anything in a while, not realizing that she's already dead. Likewise, it's possible that Shizuka witnessed the murder, which could have caused her stand (Achtung Baby) to manifest early.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
It's a cool theory that ties Shizuka neatly into the main plot, but unfortunately it's not even really implied.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
AFTER WAR GUNDAM X:

FIRST AIRING: April 1996

OVERVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam. Zeta Gundam. ZZ Gundam. Victory Gundam. G Gundam. Gundam Wing. What to do for your seventh outing, and the third consecutive Gundam series to air in the mid 90's? What about a post apocalyptic off brand version of the UC where 90% of humanity is wiped out by a space war that ended with multiple inhabited colonies being dropped on earth? 15 years later and the specter of war looms again as a New Earth Federation tries to solidify power on earth and the Space Rebel forces decide to come out of the shadows. Also both sides are looking for the true trump cards of the 7th space war, Newtypes while another man, a former newtype hero of the Federation decides to save as many of his fellow newtypes as he can by disguising himself as a Vulture, roving bands of bandit mercenaries scrapping together as much pre disaster tech as they can find and carve a niche for themselves in this cold uncaring world. Doesn't this sound like a can't miss premise? Well...it missed. Hard. Ratings plummeted over 30 percent in the first ten episodes and it had the typical year long order reduced by about ten episodes. It also moved timeslots from Friday Afternoon to very early Saturday morning. Gundam Victory had it's issues, F91 was clearly a prototype of Victory crammed into a movie, but this show? This show was cursed. It's got a great premise but every other part about it is bland. The characters are bland. The mecha are bland. The pacing is by far the slowest of any Gundam show to this point; almost glacial. The music despite one standout is bland. The VA are bored because they play boring characters. Well, besides one of the cast; the guy who plays Witz. This is his first major VA role and he'd later go on to voice Roronoa Zolo in One Piece. The main character is by far the most annoying voice of the ones so far...which is funny because he'd later go on to play one of my favorite characters as the star of GTO. The music sucks...well besides one standout track. Pretty much the only thing of note is that this is the last Gundam series for awhile. Oh and the episode titles besides the first are all named after quotes from that episode, and shown in the previews. It's actually kind of a neat touch. Oh it also has a two parter about psychic dolphins pissed off that their species is being harvested for their brains to be used as flawless navigation equipment.

MECHA: The worst so far. I might call ZZ overly derivative and that it has a shitty Gundam but After War has mobile suits that look like Zeon knockoffs you'd find at the world's dodgiest model store and the Gundams are ultra bland, especially the two extra ones. No suit stands out at all.

MAIN CAST: The worst so far. The captain is okay, if a little bland. The designs look like knockoff Gundam Wing designs. In fact the whole production just feels like a knock off of some other part of the series. I just watched this show again about a week ago and had to look up ninety percent of the names. Overly buff doctor, kid genius mechanic, Sexy halter top rivals. The primary villains are brothers who just want to fuck each other and kill all the newtypes because the only psychic power they have is the ability to communicate over any distance.

BRIGHT SPOT: This would be impossible to do...if not for one thing. The original ending theme is so out of place and ridiculous. This would not be out of place on any soft rock station in 1996. I knew the series was doomed when they changed it about ten episodes in.

SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?: Absolutely not. Unlike the two other huge stinkers to come it's not even that interesting a footnote in the history of the series besides being cancelled. The main gundam gets a bit of shine in a future series otherwise no one would care about it.

WOULD I HANG OUT WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER?: Garrod Ran? Absolutely not. I had to look up his name. If you want to argue Jamill as the real main character, then maybe. I'd love to watch the prequel series about the knockoff OYW that did not end well.

RANKING:

MOBILE FIGHTER G GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT ZETA GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM WING
MOBILE SUIT VICTORY GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM ZZ
AFTER WAR GUNDAM X

Oct 25, 2017
Its hard to find any interest in the gundams that I havent already seen (gundams Ive seen: Turn A, G Gundam, Wing, Seed, Destiny, 00, Age, 08th Rescue team (dropped, yawn), Reco, Thunderbolt, Origin, Unicorn, Build Fighters, Build Fighters Try, Divers)

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
GUNDAM OVA CORNER PART TWO

This might be the last of these, the rest of the OVAs/Theatrical releases are mainly retellings or stuff I haven't seen. I guess I could do Thunderbolt. There's also A Wakening of The Trailblazer. Either way I need to cover 08th MS team as it's as long as a regular series this way and represents the UC for the mid 90's...like all of it. They took their time with that one and it really shows.

08TH MS TEAM

FIRST RELEASE: January 1996 (Final release January 1999!)

A show about grunts in a jungle war on earth given hybrid GM/Gundams. The most down to earth war story of the lot...and a backdrop for a really awful Romeo & Juilet story. Snake, can love bloom on the battlefield? Ignore this though and you get by far the prettiest Gundam show of the first twenty five years of the series. They took four years to make twelve episodes and it shows. I'm sure most casual anime fans have had someone show them the Gouf/EZ fight. Despite the really very bad romance the rest of the story is pretty compelling look at the regular joes who fought near the end of the OYW on earth.

GUNDAM WING: ENDLESS WALTZ

FIRST RELEASE: January 1997

A three part OVA recompiled into a movie. The direct sequel to the end of Gundam Wing. It's a dumb story with cool (some say too over the top) redesigns of the Gundams. The total disarmament of the earth sphere is almost complete...When a girl claiming to be Treize's daughter shows up with an army. The Gundam boys go and find their suits (Wu Fei joined the bad guys so he wouldn't have to give up his suit) before they were shot into the sun and have some fun stopping this crazy rebellion on Christmas eve. It's the lesser of the two Christmas Gundam OVAs. This does look good, and sounds amazing. It's also not terribly long; The OVA version is barely over an hour and the theatrical version is just shy of an hour and a half.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's a cool theory that ties Shizuka neatly into the main plot, but unfortunately it's not even really implied.
To my knowledge, it's mostly based on stuff David Production added to the show. I know the the phone call to the radio station was new, but I don't recall if the getting-out-of-the-shower scene was anime-specific or if it was in the manga (it's been a while since I've read Part 4).

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
To my knowledge, it's mostly based on stuff David Production added to the show. I know the the phone call to the radio station was new, but I don't recall if the getting-out-of-the-shower scene was anime-specific or if it was in the manga (it's been a while since I've read Part 4).
It was added to the anime. David Pro basically added any teases like the breakfast scene at the beginning of the first episode or the fact you can see Kira's back in the 2nd RHCP episode for a brief second.

Hell, they added teases/brief cameos of other characters like Rohan out of frame giving manuscripts to someone.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It was added to the anime. David Pro basically added any teases like the breakfast scene at the beginning of the first episode or the fact you can see Kira's back in the 2nd RHCP episode for a brief second.

Hell, they added teases/brief cameos of other characters like Rohan out of frame giving manuscripts to someone.
Ah, so that's where the implication came from with regards to the timing of Shizuka's debut.

Oct 26, 2017
Let's change topics.
First episode of Mob Psycho 100 II is great. No doubts in my mind that this will be on Toonami very very soon.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it's a David Production addition.
No what I mean is just that a lot of the details about what Kira does are inconsistent with what is said to be going on in Morioh in the beginning. I don't think Araki knew what to do with Kira until probably after he was introduced and he probably didn't even have a concept for him as the big bad until probably after the RHCP fight.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, MP100 S2 started yesterday!

*watches first episode*

..........man, I REEEEEAAAAAALLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY hope we get to go straight into S2....damn.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, MP100 S2 started yesterday!

*watches first episode*

..........man, I REEEEEAAAAAALLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY hope we get to go straight into S2....damn.
It's being simudubbed by Funi, so it's possible.

As for Konosuba being on Toonami, I wouldn't mind it, but it'd be one of the more perverted shows on the block in quite some time. It's hilarious regardless though.

Bungo Stray Dogs would be a better fit, to be honest.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
MOBILE FIGHTER G GUNDAM:

FIRST AIRING: APRIL 1994

OVERVIEW: Domon Kasshu returns home from his martial arts training to government officials telling him that his mom is dad, his father imprisoned, and his brother is in possession of an extinction level threat weapon, the Devil Dark Gundam. The Ultimate Gundam can self replicate, self evolve, self recover with the three great theoretical principles. He can free his father though by stopping the Devil Dark Gundam, bringing in his brother for justice and oh, just beating every single other martial artist in the world in the four year quasi Olympics, quasi gladiatorial death match known as the Gundam fight. You see here in the Fighting Century the nations decided that war was dumb; the earth was trashed and all the rich people live in space so they'd elect a leader by having the Gundam Fight. Where they would fight. And fight. And keep on fighting until one Gundam reigned supreme. The country that sponsored said Gundam would rule the earth sphere for the next four years. Thus Domon is sent to earth looking for that man, Kyoji Kasshu. Along the way he meets a host of characters including a master of Germanic Ninjitsu, a psychic French Knight, a giant Russian space pirate with a heart of gold, the shining star of American hope and heavyweight boxing champion, a prodigy of Shaolin kung-fu and the best itinerant street cook, his martial arts master the legendary Undefeated of the East who might be stronger outside his mobile suit than within. Also Zombies, lots of zombies. Oh and an unabashed Chow Yun Fat clone. Oh and a killer clown. Oh and evil Hercules. Oh and.... This show is the first and best Gundam show not to take place in the Universal Century. It was also just recently updated into HD and has taken the crown from Zeta for best restoration. The show is simply gorgeous. The soundtrack is also amazing considering this show is every Hong Kong movie ever combined with every 80's commando movie.

MECHA: There's a robot horse. A robot windmill. A robot mermaid. A robot viking ship. Did I mention the robot horse? Piloting the robot horse...a real ass horse. A robot clown. A robot wearing a sombero. Robot zombies with zombie pilots. A robot mummy. A robot Lumberjack. A robot cobra. You could replace all those robots (saving the horse) with the word Gundam and you'd be entirely accurate. A Gundam with boxing gloves, a surf board, a football helmet, and two six shooters. A robot with a tricorne hat. I could go on. and on. The final boss is maybe the coolest mecha in the history of the genre.

MAIN CAST: They're great. All of them. Stereotypes and all. All likable or detestable in the right amounts. The annoying kid character isn't annoying at all and his character arc is among the best. The villains are hammy and just perfect for the events that take place. The true mastermind is something else entirely.

BRIGHT SPOT: I could literally pick almost anything but you basically have to go with Master Asia, who steals every scene he is in. He's the only tragic villain in the entire franchise whose plot makes a lick of sense. He's a main of principle until the very end.

SHOULD YOU WATCH IT?: Yes. It's one of only three Gundam properties I recommend without reservation to non Gundam fans. It's a joy and a treat to introduce people to this show, and now it looks and sounds amazing with the loving restoration. Most gundam series are these sweeping space operas that try to convey the horrors of war and environment destruction with nonsense philosophy and grandstanding while Mobile Fighter G Gundam communicates it with its fists.

WOULD I HANG OUT WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER?: Sure we can get pizza.

RANKING:

MOBILE FIGHTER G GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT ZETA GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT VICTORY GUNDAM
MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM ZZ

This is a show where America the Beautiful is sung mid match.

Top tier shook moment when Rain walks out in the Shcwarz mask.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth I have heard good things animation wise about an upcoming Black Clover episode.
Story wise?
Eeehhhhhh.

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth I have heard good things animation wise about an upcoming Black Clover episode.
Story wise?
Eeehhhhhh.
It would probably look better if the character designs of Black Clover weren't so atrocious. Say what you want about Made in Abyss, but the character work isn't bland. Ozen-sama for example is not a boring looking character.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
It would probably look better if the character designs of Black Clover weren't so atrocious. Say what you want about Made in Abyss, but the character work isn't bland. Ozen-sama for example is not a boring looking character.
Asta has a worse outfit than kid Naruto. That's a pretty big accomplishment.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? I don't see how a black jacket, pants and white shirt is a worse outfit than a bright orange jumpsuit. The outfit is so bad, it actively contradicts the entire point of being a ninja.
Bad ninja wear being on Naruto a bad ninja himself makes sense though. He's only really saved by having massive chakra storage due to the Kiyuubi.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? I don't see how a black jacket, pants and white shirt is a worse outfit than a bright orange jumpsuit. The outfit is so bad, it actively contradicts the entire point of being a ninja.
Asta's outfit is just as ugly, and it's also more boring, therefore worse

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
also Naruto's timeskip outfit is better, but Sasuke's is worse

gamerguy2002

Oct 25, 2017
Glendale, arizona
Just wanted to check in. let you all know I'm doing okay.

Can't say I'm the best. Physically the injuries I suffered from the accident are more or less gone just a few bruises remain I'll be back to 99% in another day or so (minus my wrist which is gonna take a while) . mentally though I'm still about as composed as mashed potatoes but it's getting better, its all pretty much mental from this point on. doesn't help theirs drama around all this grief too that I have to deal with as well. but I got a good set of people who aren't causing any problems and were all looking out for eachother.

The funeral is this saturday so I'm trying to focus on that. I don't think i'll be mentally equipped to handle anything else so I'll just DVR Toonami that night.

So yeah, I'm here. alive still. hello.

Oct 25, 2017
Asta's design is still better than Gon's.

Gon's design is the worst.
6eca04394fe2bfae0b4870e3da866102.gif

Can't say I'm the best. Physically the injuries I suffered from the accident are more or less gone just a few bruises remain I'll be back to 99% in another day or so (minus my wrist which is gonna take a while) . mentally though I'm still about as composed as mashed potatoes but it's getting better, its all pretty much mental from this point on. doesn't help theirs drama around all this grief too that I have to deal with as well. but I got a good set of people who aren't causing any problems and were all looking out for eachother.

The funeral is this saturday so I'm trying to focus on that. I don't think i'll be mentally equipped to handle anything else so I'll just DVR Toonami that night.

Sounds rough. Talk to the people that care about you when it gets bad and post on here regularly so we can all know you're still alive.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017

happy to hear you're feeling better physically, also glad you got a good support group hope everything works out for you

gamerguy2002

Oct 25, 2017
Glendale, arizona
Thank you guys. I've been with ToonamiGAF/ERA for quite some time now I know were all a botherhood here that has been through allot so I'm glad I have somewhere to turn to when I really need to vent this stuff out. that's why I feel safe telling you guys this and sharing a personal part of myself. it's 1 of the few communities left I still hang out at and trust.

I'll be okay guys, I'm not going to do anything stupid but I got allot of mental hurdles to cross before I ever consider myself normal again, or a new normal at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.