• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't sure how I was gonna feel about the Resident Evil 2 Remake all said and done but I'm most of the way through my first run of it and while it does lack in some areas and I miss the fixed camera angle aspect, its a great damn game all around. Mr. X is an amazing enemy.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
you should replay 1 and not have it be based on your memories and you will at least realize 3 is way better than 1.
I started replaying 1 but so many things are tedious in that, especially the gummi ship.
I actually replayed it last year, I still like it better. 3 has a lot of QoL features that I'd miss, it made the platforming bearable, but I still like 1 better. KH1 is more than the sum of it's parts, KH3 isn't.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
There's just something relaxing about running across Hyrule in botw.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having that "well now what do I do" post-completion with KH3 & considering I have 2.8, debating if I should just hop right back into DDD or wait a bit so I don't get burnt out on its gameplay. I REALLY want to replay KH2, but I still can't find the PS4 compilations anywhere.

If anything, now that I have a CRT for my older consoles & getting s-video cables for a bunch of them, maybe I'll work on some older stuff like playing Shinobi & Nightshade on PS2 or P.N.03 & replay Billy Hatcher on Gamecube while going back to Killer 7 (though I'm hoping for a PS4 or Switch port). Considering I'm getting a s-video cable for my Saturn, maybe I should actually get some games for it, especially since I got the action replay device that acts not only as a memory card & RAM expansion, but lets me import, which is probably going to be the cheaper & easier method to obtain some games.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I actually replayed it last year, I still like it better. 3 has a lot of QoL features that I'd miss, it made the platforming bearable, but I still like 1 better. KH1 is more than the sum of it's parts, KH3 isn't.
I still need to finish KH3, but I will say a lot of KH3 really feels like it was made by a very large team that didn't talk to each other much. (I'm like 15 hours in)

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I still need to finish KH3, but I will say a lot of KH3 really feels like it was made by a very large team that didn't talk to each other much.
I can agree with that. It's a gorgeous game with a lot of good ideas, but none of those ideas seem to mesh at all. KH1 and KH2 felt more like everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal with the same mission. Sure 1 is rough around the edges now, but I'd only really add a single mechanic from KH3 to that game: the flowmatic traversal stuff. Outside of that KH1 is a ton better.

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't sure how I was gonna feel about the Resident Evil 2 Remake all said and done but I'm most of the way through my first run of it and while it does lack in some areas and I miss the fixed camera angle aspect, its a great damn game all around. Mr. X is an amazing enemy.
How many times has X given it to ya? I love watching streams of this game, they're very random with certain things so stuff is unique. I have beaten Claire A, B and Leon A so far. Knowing how to path your way through the game is a lot of challenging fun.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I can agree with that. It's a gorgeous game with a lot of good ideas, but none of those ideas seem to mesh at all. KH1 and KH2 felt more like everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal with the same mission. Sure 1 is rough around the edges now, but I'd only really add a single mechanic from KH3 to that game: the flowmatic traversal stuff. Outside of that KH1 is a ton better.
I would love to know how many mechanics they made for KH3 that didn't make it into the game.

hell I think I would love to know how many mechanics are in the game, every world seems to add like 3-4 new mechanics that don't really show up again. So many little systems that feel like they were made by different people lol.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
"Oh crap, what do you MEAN we have to include Winnie the Pooh in every single KH game?! We've just finished actually making the damn game after all these years! UUUUUUUH, QUICK, MAKE IT 3 LEVELS OF PLAYING PUZZLE BOBBLE"

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to know how many mechanics they made for KH3 that didn't make it into the game.

hell I think I would love to know how many mechanics are in the game, every world seems to add like 3-4 new mechanics that don't really show up again. So many little systems that feel like they were made by different people lol.
My issue with all the mechanics is the combat. So much of that stuff is totally useless or incredibly situational. I've never really used the flowmatic combat stuff simply because it's too annoying to get going. I've used the focus shoot thing, but only sparingly and only at the start of a fight. There's just too many moving parts in the base gameplay loop at this point.

Plus everything is just corridors, which is fine, KH1 and 2 was like that, but it's just more noticeable in this game due to the lack of platforming. KH1 just needed to clean up that one thing, which KH2 did. KH3 just needed to do what KH2 did, only better.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I almost never used the Link feature, only once to have them be in the Game Records and almost never used magic until the very end when I had the strongest versions & even then, I just used Thundaga & sometimes any version of Cure.

Hell, only ONE battle, the secret boss, did I actually resort to using items.

Shotlock can he helpful, but I didn't really use it a lot as well.

I will say I'm glad they helped make each keyblade feel more unique & not just "here's the newest strongest one", you actually need to think a little bit.......well until you get Ultima Weapon.

I'm not that far into KH3, but I've heard...things...about the Frozen level.
It's....fine? It's not a bad level by any means, but out of all the levels in the game, I felt the least involved with the "plot" & its characters. Plus aside from seeing the ice palace, there's not really much that makes it feel like it's Frozen, but more "generic ice/snow level".

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It's....fine? It's not a bad level by any means, but out of all the levels in the game, I felt the least involved with the "plot" & its characters. Plus aside from seeing the ice palace, there's not really much that makes it feel like it's Frozen, but more "generic ice/snow level".
I'm playing it now and frankly it's just whatever. It feels like they needed a frozen level and added a quick frozen level.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not that far into KH3, but I've heard...things...about the Frozen level.
I will just say this.

You can jump on snowballs and roll them. I tried attacking them and melting them with fire and lots of other things but didn't realize you were supposed to stand and roll :/ I figured you could push them to move them.

That little thing was the only thing that was annoying to me.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I will just say this.

You can jump on snowballs and roll them. I tried attacking them and melting them with fire and lots of other things but didn't realize you were supposed to stand and roll :/ I figured you could push them to move them.

That little thing was the only thing that was annoying to me.
I figured that out pretty quick, it's just that the level itself feels kinda ehh. For the more recent movies it feels like we're playing through the movie itself instead of through a world based on the movie. Frozen-world has been the peak of that so far. We're just kinda there, along for the ride.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing it now and frankly it's just whatever. It feels like they needed a frozen level and added a quick frozen level.
It felt the most "let's show off how well the game looks & how close we can have it seem to the original film". Tangled had that same feeling, but at least you actually teamed up with both its main characters & I felt involved with helping them out and fighting the villain.

For the more recent movies it feels like we're playing through the movie itself instead of through a world based on the movie. Frozen-world has been the peak of that so far. We're just kinda there, along for the ride.
EXACTLY. So many moments were just "hey, it's the exact same scene from the film, isn't that nuts the PS4 looks so similar to the movie!?" & kinda why I couldn't help but feel like Sora was a bit fanfic-y with the fact he just felt inserted into the plot.

I was kinda bummed by the BH6 level with how short it felt & it's just one big area that you really only explore for the treasure chests & that's it. Again, not bad, just....fine.

Toy Story was easily my favorite level with Monster Inc might be my 2nd favorite.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Level design has always been an issue in KH games. It's just that the Disney stuff is usually charming enough so that you forget about it.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It felt the most "let's show off how well the game looks & how close we can have it seem to the original film". Tangled had that same feeling, but at least you actually teamed up with both its main characters & I felt involved with helping them out and fighting the villain.

EXACTLY. So many moments were just "hey, it's the exact same scene from the film, isn't that nuts the PS4 looks so similar to the movie!?" & kinda why I couldn't help but feel like Sora was a bit fanfic-y with the fact he just felt inserted into the plot.

I was kinda bummed by the BH6 level with how short it felt & it's just one big area that you really only explore for the treasure chests & that's it. Again, not bad, just....fine.

Toy Story was easily my favorite level with Monster Inc might be my 2nd favorite.
Toy Story was the perfect KH level and Monsters Inc was also really good.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
They made a mistake leading with Mt. Olympus.
I can see why they did, it's a good opening. That said, they totally wasted the titans like that. Plus I still miss the Colosseum from KH1. Sure there wasn't much of a story there, but it was a thing you could do on little time and have some fun with.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, on the topic of those two movies.

Ya know what I wish Disney, or rather Pixar, did instead of "live-action" remakes of their older animated movies? Remake an older CGI film but make it look like their current CGI. Go the route of Spyro & Crash of mainly just updating the graphical style while tweaking a few things.

Imagine Toy Story 1, but it looked like Toy Story 3 or 4. You don't have to change the story, the original still exists to see what the filmed looked like originally, & you can be all "it's remastered!"

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why they did, it's a good opening. That said, they totally wasted the titans like that. Plus I still miss the Colosseum from KH1. Sure there wasn't much of a story there, but it was a thing you could do on little time and have some fun with.
Story wise it makes sense, I just find it empty. The Titans also disappointed. I think the Colosseum is the best part of 1.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Toy Story 1, but it looked like Toy Story 3 or 4. You don't have to change the story, the original still exists to see what the filmed looked like originally, & you can be all "it's remastered!"
Thanks to nostalgia goggles and not having watched toy story 1 against since toy story 3... it already looks like toy story 3/4 to me in my memories :3

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Story wise it makes sense, I just find it empty. The Titans also disappointed. I think the Colosseum is the best part of 1.
Yeah, it's great storywise. It's just a bit of a waste. They took 3 end game tier boss characters and made them bosses 1 and 2.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
You can't still say KH1 is a good game in this day and age. That platforming and level design is atrocious.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so I just watched the sword art episode
did Sinon really say she still considers the guy that tried to drug and rape/kill her, a guy who aided in killing multiple people, a friend and that she was going to visit him o.O

or am I mistaking who she was talking about even though they said he was getting the help he needed and was tied to the death gun stuff?

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
so I just watched the sword art episode
did Sinon really say she still considers the guy that tried to drug and rape/kill her, a guy who aided in killing multiple people, a friend and that she was going to visit him o.O

or am I mistaking who she was talking about even though they said he was getting the help he needed and was tied to the death gun stuff?
No, you got it right

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
D.C. Douglas did a fanfuckingtastic job as Kira. He doesn't sound weird or crazy, but there's a subtle wrongness in the way he talks that unsettles you.

Oct 25, 2017
D.C. Douglas did a fanfuckingtastic job as Kira. He doesn't sound weird or crazy, but there's a subtle wrongness in the way he talks that unsettles you.
When he's monologuing to Shigechi he sounds appropriately cold, calm and robotic, as Kira should. I have to get to last nights ep, but I'm liking him so far. Kira doesn't get emotional till a scene further down the line that I cannot wait to see dubbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.