• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
i felt that the localisation of season 2 was a lot weaker as well, like the actual voice acting was still fine, but the direction made a lot of weird decisions that made the dub overall inferior to the season 1 dub like why the insistence on not letting anyone call Tatsumaki and Fubuki by their actual names?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm catching up on Dr. Stone and I'm getting the backstory and stuff even tho its not anything hard set, we just know Senku is gonna hookup with someone, so I just got I got to a part where senku's dad threw a line in, almost out of nowhere saying they arent related by blood despite senku's dad's design clearly being based off him Senku as if hes a biological father and I just find that funny.
It's obvioisly done because incest but in real life Senku would be separated by generations to the point where they would basically be strangers DNA wise and it's actually how we came to exist now

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
That sudden reveal of Senku and his father not being related by blood does kinda strike me as editor oversight.

At the same time, manga writers are pretty secretive about how much influence editors have on their works, so who knows.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
That sudden reveal of Senku and his father not being related by blood does kinda strike me as editor oversight.

At the same time, manga writers are pretty secretive about how much influence editors have on their works, so who knows.
On the other hand, anime almost never cares this much about this stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Zenitsu is probably the most divisive character in anime history lol. He'll do a really cool thing and make you like him a lot, and then you'll hate his guts in the next scene. I'm still not sure if I like or hate him tbh
I actually have no problem with Zenitsu. I find him funny and 90% of the time the show calls him out for his bullshit. Didn't a woman already slap the shit out of him repeatedly? He's not Mineta bad.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have no problem with Zenitsu. I find him funny and 90% of the time the show calls him out for his bullshit. Didn't a woman already slap the shit out of him repeatedly? He's not Mineta bad.
Well yeah, he's not Mineta/Roshi/Miroku bad, characters that actually sexually harass/assault people. He's just obnoxious cranked up to the highest you can possibly go.

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, he's not Mineta/Roshi/Miroku bad, characters that actually sexually harass/assault people. He's just obnoxious cranked up to the highest you can possibly go.
I was also entertained by how fast he goes from 0 to 200 and the vocal range of the tantrums. I didn't even know people hated him till people said they hated him. He's not perfect but he has his moments.

Yagi di Hoshi

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Caught up yesterday on Demon Slayer (far as Toonami) and it was profound hearing Steve Blum. So it's a Union dub, huh? Noice !
As predicted just as well, I really love the art style (an absolute sucker for that type of line work, of course of course)
I might actually consider owning it just for that alone.

Guess I might as well take some time to get up to speed on Dr. Stone and Fire Force too. Heard good-great stuffs about those as well.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
ogNrt6xjoxcgp7z0v_1Zi1oMaZFLnP1GlBCxOVfgIs8xyKIv6cojhN6Eao2dlFHmnVeIBx1QU8wWRjakMrSCUJWTjalEi--DngPaW9jV_M4

Zenitsu is probably the most divisive character in anime history lol. He'll do a really cool thing and make you like him a lot, and then you'll hate his guts in the next scene. I'm still not sure if I like or hate him tbh
The perfect summary of him

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up yesterday on Demon Slayer (far as Toonami) and it was profound hearing Steve Blum. So it's a Union dub, huh? Noice !
As predicted just as well, I really love the art style (an absolute sucker for that type of line work, of course of course)
I might actually consider owning it just for that alone.

Guess I might as well take some time to get up to speed on Dr. Stone and Fire Force too. Heard good-great stuffs about those as well.
I can vouch for Dr. Stone.

Yagi di Hoshi

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Was watching clips of that latest Demon Slayer earlier today and somehow completely forgot how much Zenitsu was screaming out his lines to the yikes'th degree.

Must've been the myths, the legends themselves Inosuke and Blum in the Room out of the blue overshadowing that all & getting me a tad overly excited over what we've got in store for the coming years of anime dubs

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Last night was probably the most soul eater fire force has been yet

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
the only good thing about zenitsu was the scene where that little kid spent a solid 30 seconds telling him how shitty he was

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Zenitsu gonna have to change his general presence significantly to get off my shit list

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I got all of Teasing Master Tagaki-san watched so I decided to start that 4th season of Saiki Kusou & OMG IT'S DUBBED. This really helps with how fast paced the jokes/dialogue is. A shame the previous season didn't get dubbed (I think only the first by Funimation & this latest one by Netflix), but I'll take it.

Hah, they even keep the references like "wait, isn't this just a rip-off of Yaoyorozu from My Hero?"

Last edited:

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
ToonamiERA Awards 2019
Presented by the Toonami Escape Podcast.
Judges: Grexeno, B-Dubs, ckohler, Seda, and Chugg.

ToonamiEra Awards 2019 Part 1 (2 hours 55 minutes)
Part one of the 2019 ToonamiEra awards. The categories covered are Best OP, Best Ed, Best Soundtrack, Worst Moment, Best Moment, Best Looking Show, and Best Power, Ability or Weapon.

ToonamiEra Awards 2019 Part 2 (2 hours 51 minutes)
Part two of the 2019 ToonamiEra awards. The categories covered are Best Name, Best Dressed, Best Fight, Best Villain, Worst Character, Best Character Male, Best Character Female, Best Cast, Biggest Disappointment, Best Surprise, Best Performance by a Voice Actor, Best Performance by a Voice Actress, Best Dub and Localization, Worst Show of the Year, and Best Show of the Year.

Visit the website:

Subscribe in your favorite podcast app using this address:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to all the OPs & EDs reminds me why I don't care for like 95% of them & usually skip them, especially with how samey some sound ....but then that remaining 5% is suuuppeeerr good.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I can't believe you guys chose [insert nomination here] as the winner for [insert category here], that is such a [insert temperature here] take & makes me so [insert mood here] that you went with that over the other nominees.

YOU KNOW HOW POPULAR & RICH FOODGASM POWERS WOULD MAKE YOU, WHY WOULD YOU CUT THAT FIRST.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
In case you're curious, here's the English version of Fighting Gold. Despite the title, this is the official one (it's even on iTunes).

It's weird, we've been getting official English renditions of all the OPs since Great Days, yet they haven't been used on Toonami.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to all the OPs & EDs reminds me why I don't care for like 95% of them & usually skip them, especially with how samey some sound ....but then that remaining 5% is suuuppeeerr good.
I tend to like most OPs and EDs, even for shows I generally don't like, because a lot of effort is put into them. Yes, many have similar sounding songs but OPs and EDs are more than just the music. It's how artistic/exciting/creative they are with the visuals and how well they make them match the music. A well done OP makes you tap your foot along with entertaining visuals that set the overall tone of the show while also introducing the main concept and characters effectively. A well done ED is more of a creative outlet for experimental animation, up-an-coming animators, or references pivotal moments from the series.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i felt that the localisation of season 2 was a lot weaker as well, like the actual voice acting was still fine, but the direction made a lot of weird decisions that made the dub overall inferior to the season 1 dub like why the insistence on not letting anyone call Tatsumaki and Fubuki by their actual names?
This confuses me. Tatsumaki = Tornado in Japanese while Fubuki = Blizzard in Japanese, so aren't Viz just translating their names?

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
This confuses me. Tatsumaki = Tornado in Japanese while Fubuki = Blizzard in Japanese, so aren't Viz just translating their names?
their hero names are tornado of terror and blizzard of hell, their names are tatsumaki and fubuki

names are names you shouldn't translate them

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
their hero names are tornado of terror and blizzard of hell, their names are tatsumaki and fubuki

Exactly. Dubs aren't always good about this but that's the general rule.

Dr. Stone is a good example. Suika is the Japanese word for "watermelon" and Ruri is the Japanese word for "lapis lazuli". It would be wrong to translate their names literally in English. However, both Chrome ("Kuromu") and Magma ("Maguma") are "nipponized" English words in the Japanese language already and just work out that way.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
In case you're curious, here's the English version of Fighting Gold. Despite the title, this is the official one (it's even on iTunes).

It's weird, we've been getting official English renditions of all the OPs since Great Days, yet they haven't been used on Toonami.

I would guess, similar to the one time it happened in MobPsycho that one episode, unless the actual anime uses it, then they (and viz) probably cant just swap it of their own volition.

oops forgot to check if they ever did another tribute CD where other singers did the JJBA ops. Elisa was still the best

Oct 25, 2017

It's weird that they do. Especially since their names are written out in Katakana, which usually implies that's their proper name.
Their hero names (Terrible Tornado and Hellish Blizzard) are written out in Kanji, so it makes sense to translate those.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017

Not to be mean but this version's broken English doesn't help much in understanding the lyrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.