• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jarate Presents: Music History through Jojo, the different references

Will Anthonio Zeppeli

Led Zeppelin

During 1968, at the height of the British invasion, the Beatles would soon be leaving the rock scene for good. But, the seeds implanted by the Beatles took root all over world rock culture. Led Zeppelin would fill one of those gaps, taking the heavier sounding rock tones popularized by bands such as Deep Purple.

Jimmy Page was presented an opportunity to shift his career in an interesting way. Playing alongside Jeff Beck in the Yardbirds, the band broke up in 1968, but, Jimmy Page was allowed to keep playing using the name of the band for a Scandinavian tour date the band had already booked. After recruiting for bandmembers, he ended up with the original starting lineup, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Robert Plant, and John Bonham.

Unfortunately for them, being the "New Yardbirds" ended up being a title they couldn't keep, as law prohibited them from using the name after their Scandinavian tour. Led Zeppelin was taken as a moniker. (Legend says the name came from a critic of his saying a super group consisting of him and Jeff Beck would sink like a Lead Zeppelin)

The band erupted on the scene at the height of British rock, and brought up an energy, and musical style that would be labeled as, "Hard Rock" or "Heavy Metal" after bands such as Black Sabbath popularized the more, "dark" themes of rock. Led Zeppelin had masters of their craft at every instrument, with extra emphasis on Robert Plant, one of the most talented vocalists in Rock music, and Jimmy Page, one of the most innovated and skilled guitar players of his time.

Their most influential album was probably Led Zeppelin 4, Featuring classic rock staples such as Black Dog, Rock and Roll, and of course their most popular song of all, Stairway to Heaven

In modern times, Led Zeppelin gets a lot of cultural flack due to their heavy prevalence in dad rock culture. But it's no doubt they were by far one of the most successful rock bands in rocks history. Led Zeppelin would go onto inspire many other bands along the way. I haven't given them a good listen to in a while, but just the amount of energy these guys can produce with only 4 members is astounding.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I initially though Jojo was in reference to the reoccurring character that appears in Let it Be, but apparently, Araki got the name from some restaraunt named jonathans, and wanted aliteration in the name of the character

Dio I thought was named after Ronnie James Dio, but it ended up just being Latin for God. LAME

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also of note,

these 4 zombies are named Peiji, Jōnzu, Purānto, Bānhamu , which phoentically, is Japanese for the names of the members of Led Zeppelin. They get 2 references in Phantom Blood! That should tell you how important they were!

Oct 26, 2017
I initially though Jojo was in reference to the reoccurring character that appears in Let it Be, but apparently, Araki got the name from some restaraunt named jonathans, and wanted aliteration in the name of the character

Dio I thought was named after Ronnie James Dio, but it ended up just being Latin for God. LAME
Didn't Araki get the name JoJo from Get Back?

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poco is the really only, not "well known" band in part 1, so i'll probably put in the most effort into that one.

It's funny that he was so influenced by british music at the time he set it in England, but yet a lot of the bands he uses as references are American in Part 1. Tom Petty, Poco, the Doobie Brothers, and REO Speedwagon were all american bands, and all very american bands music and culturally. Danny is based off of a song by an American band.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017

Real big fan of how some Pokemon just say their name, while others scream in ways that make it seem like they're in terrible pain.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017

Though, Italian.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jarate Presents: Music History through Jojo, the different references

Robert E.O. Speedwagon

N8PfSBP.gif

REO Speedwagon

When I was looking up this band, I never really realized how long this band was in place for. The band wouldn't really see commercial mainstream success until the 1980s, but the band formed initially in 1969, at the heart of the British Rock Invasion. because of that, their early music kind of sticks to classic rock forumulations of the time. These songs were bluesy, rocking, and not really all that good imo. If you like classic rock, they're decent songs, but not my stuff. But REO Speedwagon definitely did have a following, it just wasnt strong to really consider them

Where they found their biggest success was in the 80s, and most people consider them one of the defining 80's rock bands because of this. Their release, High Infidelity gave the band an unprecedented 4 top 40 hit singles, which was a major feat for a band who had been struggling to reach mainstream success. This was done with an embrace of more popular music styles, which many other bands from the 70s also had to do to stay relevant (Genesis and Yes both completely changed their styles as musical tastes shifted, more on Yes later).

High Infidelity would give the band their signature album, and their major success and was probably the music Araki was listening to way back in the day. Their most popular songs turned out to be their ballad songs, slow moving, lovey dovey rock epics for the band to sell. These ballads include, Cant Fight This Feeling and Keep on Loving You which you have most likely heard already. My favorite of their later music, is Take it on the Run, not a ballad, but a pretty catchy 80's rock pop song

REO Speedwagon is an interesting band, besides the lead vocalist, the members were generally the same, the vocalists changed a few times until their first release in the 70's. It's a signifier of the changes experienced in rock, but unlike genesis and Yes, REO Speedwagon never had a real mainstream identity to change. For many people, they were always an 80's rock band. But they couldnt stay around for all of time, and by the 1990's the band saw their popularity and their interband relationships crater. The band fell apart in the early 90's, only to form back again in the late 2000s to make as much money from Boomer fans still rockin to go see the band play. I think what you should remember about this band is that they had a dedication to their craft and kept improving. Most bands get comfortable after finding their niche, but REO Speedwagon stuck in the game despite the struggles of being a non mainstream band. And because of this dedication, you can just listen to the improvement in sound quality and production quality in their later 70's abums. Give a listen to You Can Tune a Piano but You Can't Tune a Fish in comparison to their first album REO Speedwagon. The difference in sound quality is absurd.

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The Black Clover anime is weird as hell. They basically managed to turn it into something halfway decent in the second season and the third is even better. I still wouldn't call it anything more than genre shlock but it keeps me entertained, especially with the dub.

The real issue is that the anime (which is about 15 episodes ahead of TOONAMI right now) is getting dangerously close to catching up to the manga. The manga just released enough chapters to finish up Volume 24 and the anime is on Volume 22, and it's covering 2-3 chapters with its average episode. The next two scheduled episodes look to be recaps but that ain't anywhere near enough to stem the tide. It's either going to go on hiatus (never gonna happen) or we're gonna get infinite filleromi/the long time skip filler arc.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
The Black Clover anime is weird as hell. They basically managed to turn it into something halfway decent in the second season and the third is even better. I still wouldn't call it anything more than genre shlock but it keeps me entertained, especially with the dub.

The real issue is that the anime (which is about 15 episodes ahead of TOONAMI right now) is getting dangerously close to catching up to the manga. The manga just released enough chapters to finish up Volume 24 and the anime is on Volume 22, and it's covering 2-3 chapters with its average episode. The next two scheduled episodes look to be recaps but that ain't anywhere near enough to stem the tide. It's either going to go on hiatus (never gonna happen) or we're gonna get infinite filleromi/the long time skip filler arc.

They'll probably do some combination of filler and adapt some side content.

Like it wouldn't surprise if me there's some filler episodes
about Asta and gang's journey to the heart kingdom.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Good news, Ian Sinclair is going to be in Season 3 of Shokugeki no Soma.
Bad news, he's one of the worst characters ever.
I am both happy & disappointed if I know what this means.

On the one hand, cool, at least we won't have another Eizan or whoever sounds bored out of their skull....but it also won't save what is the start of when fans felt the series started going downhill.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
X5ggk6P.png

Episode 185 "Bolt"
In this episode, Grexeno, B-Dubs, ckohler, and Zonic discuss anime genetics, how siphons work, Dee Eye Ell, Demon Slayer jobbers, cakekaku, kitten magic, Brick Snake, and Naruto being just a battery.

Audio:

Timecodes:
0:01:25 My Hero Academia
0:09:49 Dr. Stone
0:14:36 Sword Art Online: War of Underworld
0:26:15 Demon Slayer
0:30:56 Food Wars!
0:37:41 Black Clover
0:41:12 Jojo: Golden Wind
0:46:01 Naruto: Shippuden
0:50:48 Favorite Episodes / Sign Offs

Visit the website:

Subscribe in your favorite podcast app using this address:

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
X5ggk6P.png

Episode 185 "Bolt"
In this episode, Grexeno, B-Dubs, ckohler, and Zonic discuss anime genetics, how siphons work, Dee Eye Ell, Demon Slayer jobbers, cakekaku, kitten magic, Brick Snake, and Naruto being just a battery.

Audio:

Timecodes:
0:01:25 My Hero Academia
0:09:49 Dr. Stone
0:14:36 Sword Art Online: War of Underworld
0:26:15 Demon Slayer
0:30:56 Food Wars!
0:37:41 Black Clover
0:41:12 Jojo: Golden Wind
0:46:01 Naruto: Shippuden
0:50:48 Favorite Episodes / Sign Offs

Visit the website:

Subscribe in your favorite podcast app using this address:

Comments on the Podcast:
  • Yeah, way too many anime/manga take the lazy way out and just make children like tiny clones of their parents. That's not how human biology works LOL but like so many do it >_<
  • Ok I'll admit I had no idea about the "Bolt" in Boruto was the building material and not a bolt of lightning. My mind was similarly blown.
  • If you're going to have a debate about science, take a moment to just look stuff up such as here and here (answer seems to be a little of everything)
  • Is that Wizard Woman's name a reference to something/metaphor for something?
  • You trying to go over the "plot" of SAO just stresses how little sense it makes >_<
  • Was Zonic on a telephone? It was legit hard to understand him sometimes - like that joke at the start of the Food Wars section.
Also relevant to topic in the cast (did I get this from this thread or from elsewhere, I legit can't remember):

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that one podcast where Zonic may or may not have had a headcrab on him the entire time, that's how bad it was?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Was Zonic on a telephone? It was legit hard to understand him sometimes - like that joke at the start of the Food Wars section.
Yes & no. I technically was using Skype on my phone but I bought an USB microphone for like $30 & an USB converter. But listening to it....yeah, it doesn't sound much better than just talking into my phone.

One of these days, I'll get a much better mic. Actually, what mics does everyone else use? That way, I can get a better idea of what to look for.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna see it with my girlfriend tomorrow as our late V-day date & she said she didn't mind since she'd rather see something the both of us would enjoy. Then afterwards, we're gonna go out to eat & then she's gonna come on over to my place to check it out and maybe hang out for a bit.

I may go see it again but with my best friend since he really wants to see it & I have a feeling I'll want to watch it again to keep an eye out for all the easter eggs hidden in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.