• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Zonic

I'm watching Cautious hero why didn't you recommend this to me

This anime is too self aware "all these Japanese heroes look alike to me i can't pick one"
The dub is/was strangely behind, maybe the final episode is done but for some reason, the final episode aired in Japan while the dub was still on episode 9. I checked like last week & they were up to episode 11.

But yeah, I really enjoyed it, especially with the dub. Probably helps I'm sorta the cautious time with JRPGs in that "oh damn I need to ensure I fight all the enemies so I'm not underpowered when I reach the boss & what if the game forces me to use certain characters or splits my party up, I better ensure everyone is the same level"

I tend to only watch the comedic/self-aware isekai stuff like Konosuba & this. I may check out the one where it's a wrestler dude but instead of going on an adventure, he stays in town & wants to run a pet shop or animal shelter.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
6HUNqkf.jpg

Episode 182 "Countdown to Kayaba"
In this episode Grexeno, ckohler, B-Dubs, and Crocodile discuss breakdancing in MHA, Mellon Gear Solid, SAO's dragons, Shinra using the Speed Force, Food Wars new pacing, stepping on kids, the Boss in Jojo, and Pokemon rules in Shippuden.

Audio:

Timecodes:
0:00:32 News (Gris review)
0:01:40 My Hero Academia
0:13:04 Dr. Stone
0:20:59 Sword Art Online: War of Underworld
0:39:53 Fire Force
0:50:06 Food Wars!
0:55:10 Demon Slayer
1:03:49 Black Clover
1:07:00 Jojo: Golden Wind
1:16:48 Naruto: Shippuden
1:27:13 Block speculation
1:36:03 Best Episodes of the night
1:36:59 Sign Offs

Visit the website:

Subscribe in your favorite podcast app using this address:

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That podcast image reminded me of something. Why is every city in every isekai anime exactly the same? I swear every single one has a city with perfectly circular walls around it.

isekai-cheat-magicians6jm8.png

I wouldn't even be able to tell these are different anime

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Is "is this the boss of part 5" gonna be the new "is this the villain of part 4?"

Also holy hell I remember those stupid thumb movie parodies. I saw Thumb Wars & previews for Thumbtanic, The Godthumb or Thumbfather, & such.

Also also if I watched Shippuden, I would totally make a ton of Do You Love Your Mom & Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks next week due to that episode title.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I totally zoned out at trying to explain type weaknesses in Naruto until I heard "you're just quoting that web comic" & was like "wait the Awkward Zombie?" & was about to post it until they brought it up.

Also assuming there's no Valentine's Day marathon, episode 200 of the podcast will be the last week in May.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MHA did it guys, it got its first good opening

I like odd future but it's definitely inconsistent

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
That podcast image reminded me of something. Why is every city in every isekai anime exactly the same? I swear every single one has a city with perfectly circular walls around it.

Are you implying that all these isekai shows lack originality in some way?

How dare you.

Oct 25, 2017

aren't most fantasy based media with kingdoms set with cities surrounded by some sort of fortifications? especially rpg inspired ones set in medieval magic hybrid worlds?

think it speaks more to worldwide/legacy media trends and setting than an isekai exclusive thing.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Are you implying that all these isekai shows lack originality in some way?

How dare you.
hey i'm sure that the reason they're circular has nothing to do with the fact that they can't be bothered to keep up with the position of people and places in a city with an actually interesting layout

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The dub is/was strangely behind, maybe the final episode is done but for some reason, the final episode aired in Japan while the dub was still on episode 9. I checked like last week & they were up to episode 11.

Last episode went up on Wednesday. The show, and several others, ended up getting delayed with their dubs due to the Holiday.

Oct 25, 2017
voice actors are people too and deserve breaks to travel and see families during the holidays. dubs are nice and all but not worth sacrificing voice actors their vacation.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just as in love with Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE# Encore as I was when I originally played the game. It's just so visually charming and heartfelt. I never get sick of the music no matter how often I listen to it, all the cutscene music videos are incredibly well done, and most importantly being a game with an intricate battle system that I never, ever tire of. This is a game where you don't even have all the characters until halfway through where unlike FF XIII it doesn't feel like a disaster to be running around with only a few classes at a time, it all builds organically. The fusion of FE based enemies and attack mechanics with a version of how SMT/Persona levels makes guessing enemy weaknesses fun and playing the game on hard can leave you with some real tense moments of wondering if the enemy who basically has access to the same toolkit you do will just run over your party first.

Also being an Atlus game its kinda refreshing to actually have the old DLC built in. This was also one of the few Wii U games I played exclusively on the TV so having it portable for the first time is a game changer, combined with the quick sessions and the huge load time improvements. Basically the only things I could ask for would have been a dub (unlikely) subs for all the battle dialogue (they could have fit this one in) and an improvement of one of the altered outfits (The international release wedding dress is hideous)

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just as in love with Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE# Encore as I was when I originally played the game. It's just so visually charming and heartfelt. I never get sick of the music no matter how often I listen to it, all the cutscene music videos are incredibly well done, and most importantly being a game with an intricate battle system that I never, ever tire of. This is a game where you don't even have all the characters until halfway through where unlike FF XIII it doesn't feel like a disaster to be running around with only a few classes at a time, it all builds organically. The fusion of FE based enemies and attack mechanics with a version of how SMT/Persona levels makes guessing enemy weaknesses fun and playing the game on hard can leave you with some real tense moments of wondering if the enemy who basically has access to the same toolkit you do will just run over your party first.

Also being an Atlus game its kinda refreshing to actually have the old DLC built in. This was also one of the few Wii U games I played exclusively on the TV so having it portable for the first time is a game changer, combined with the quick sessions and the huge load time improvements. Basically the only things I could ask for would have been a dub (unlikely) subs for all the battle dialogue (they could have fit this one in) and an improvement of one of the altered outfits (The international release wedding dress is hideous)
it always annoys me when they have subtitles for everything but battle quotes

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
it always annoys me when they have subtitles for everything but battle quotes
There's a ton of them too and it's not just stuff like "I don't know about this" when you try and hit something that will be nulled. There's room on the screen right above the bottom bar they could have put it.

They also could have just dubbed everything but the songs. They gave the characters official English voices for Fire Emblem Heroes.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the QoL stuff like quick sessions (which was easily the one thing the game needed) and faster loading times), it's weird they fixed some of the problems the original version had, but not some others like no battle subtitles & not having a quicker method to go to Tiki to make new weapons/skills & returning to the dungeon.

Maybe it's just the faster loading times, but I kinda forgot how fast paced the game is. Already beat the midboss in Ch. 3 & considering I've been doing all the requests & side stories, plus some minor grinding for rare materials & my usual "fight 95% of the enemies", I'm only 15 hours in.

It's just a shame that everyone feels like comparing it to P5 now when it originally was out before that game.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Lately I've had no free time whenever the good animu is playing near me. When I do have free time its during months when nothing is happening.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
imo the session system in tms is fundamentally broken game design

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I love it, even when it messes up and should have done a route that would lead to a longer combo. If there was an advanced mode where you could plot it out in real time that would be fun. Like press one of the face buttons to go a certain way to make it more actionable.

I did not think I'd enjoy it as much when the game was being previewed but it is honestly my favorite part of the game.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I love it, even when it messes up and should have done a route that would lead to a longer combo. If there was an advanced mode where you could plot it out in real time that would be fun. Like press one of the face buttons to go a certain way to make it more actionable.

This is exactly the issue with it. Minimal preparation required, no execution needed.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the real prep work that you can control is your party make up and which weapon you have equipped, which changes your resists, which isn't much.

I thought I'd feel just like you Seda before I played it but for whatever reason my heart tells my brain to shut up about it and I just enjoy the ride. It could be improved in a sequel that will never, ever, ever happen as much as I'd wish for it.

Also in JRPG News:

Thinking about buying all the Xenosaga games. Finds episode one for single digits, nice, nice. Looks for Episode 2, Fifteen bucks or so, not bad not bad. Looks for Episode III. Welp. It'll cost me less to replace my PS2.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Combine the TMS session system with something like Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi or maybe even Shadow Hearts, just something where you have more input over your attacks, and I'd totally be on board. I will say, as someone who likes watching numbers get bigger, there's something satisfying seeing my session combo get bigger & stronger, sometimes wiping an entire party of enemies with a single attack.

Thinking about buying all the Xenosaga games. Finds episode one for single digits, nice, nice. Looks for Episode 2, Fifteen bucks or so, not bad not bad. Looks for Episode III. Welp. It'll cost me less to replace my PS2.
This is what I went through a few months back when talking to my friend & why a HD Collection should happen. Same for the original .hack games considering how insane the 4th game goes for. I only played the first one many years ago for a few hours but then got distracted by other things.

Now if only I could convince myself to give Xenoblade 2 another chance to see why people think it's the greatest RPG in the history of existence. I should probably start over to relearn the mechanics but I got that free code with the bonus items/extra cores & I don't want to feel like I let those go to waste.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Combine the TMS session system with something like Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi or maybe even Shadow Hearts, just something where you have more input over your attacks, and I'd totally be on board. I will say, as someone who likes watching numbers get bigger, there's something satisfying seeing my session combo get bigger & stronger, sometimes wiping an entire party of enemies with a single attack.

This is what I went through a few months back when talking to my friend & why a HD Collection should happen. Same for the original .hack games considering how insane the 4th game goes for. I only played the first one many years ago for a few hours but then got distracted by other things.

Now if only I could convince myself to give Xenoblade 2 another chance to see why people think it's the greatest RPG in the history of existence. I should probably start over to relearn the mechanics but I got that free code with the bonus items/extra cores & I don't want to feel like I let those go to waste.
I wouldn't go that far, but Xenoblade 2 is a great game

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just remember, Johnny Test exists due to tax subsidies given out by the Canadian government to help promote their fledgling animation industry. Studios found out how to make cartoons on tiny budgets, using mostly government funds

this is why Johnny Test was able to be made and last for 6 seasons. The Canadian government and Canadian populace through taxpayer funds created a war crime in animated form. And people say that Canadians are nice.

Oct 25, 2017

Maaan, this would have been so great to have in the full game.
"But the singing" Kayli Mills (Tsubasa) used to do singing videos for her YouTube channel. Plus, I imagine all these actors can sing in some way. If not, they could always hire soundalikes.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go that far, but Xenoblade 2 is a great game
I have heard nothing but how that game is just suppose to be this amazing experience with a story that's made people cry & the most memorable characters & it was snubbed at awards and such.

Meanwhile, I just rolled my eyes at "HOW CAN I SERVE YOU, MASTER?" with robo-maid & "HUR HUR WOMEN & THEIR WEIGHT, AM I RITE" and felt nothing with the battle system taking 90% of the control away from me to the point I could win battles by doing NOTHING. By the time the meters filled where I was allowed to actually....ya know...PLAY THE GAME, the battle was already over or close to it where I felt like it didn't matter. Unless the game decided "SURPRISE HERE'S AN ENEMY 30 LEVELS HIGHER THAN YOU OUTTA NOWHERE FROM THE SKY" & I died.

Thus comes the part where I'm told I'm wrong & that I'm not playing it right or how I need to get to the #th chapter or ## hours in before it becomes fun but all I think about is just how poor of a first impression it left me in comparison to seeing it on GotY lists or some trying to debate game of the decade.

Man, I dunno. I don't think I ever felt this way for a game. Sure, I don't care for certain games/franchises, but not to this level. & for a game in one of my favorite genres makes the feeling even stranger. I know I should give it a 2nd chance one of these days, but at the same time, I just don't feel motivated to do so. I don't know why I'm being so bullheaded about this one particular game. At least with BotW, despite bouncing off that game hard after 30 hours, I still understand why it clicked with so many people.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Almost all working VAs have some singing background. Tons and tons of them are from off Broadway shows and have beautiful voices.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017

Maaan, this would have been so great to have in the full game.
"But the singing" Kayli Mills (Tsubasa) used to do singing videos for her YouTube channel. Plus, I imagine all these actors can sing in some way. If not, they could always hire soundalikes.
Honesty, I think it was more on Nintendo/Atlus thinking "look, this game isn't gonna make back the money it'd cost to dub this giant RPG, it's not worth it" (ESPECIALLY for the Wii U version released about a year before the Switch came out), but for a mobile game raking in the money & only needing a handful of lines, that's a different story.

also it's called tokyo mirage sessions, not texas mirage sessions

I'm hearing the Switch version is doing much better (to no surprise), so maybe if the game somehow gets a sequel or spiritual successor, they'll feel more confident a dub will be worth the time & money.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I have heard nothing but how that game is just suppose to be this amazing experience with a story that's made people cry & the most memorable characters & it was snubbed at awards and such.

Meanwhile, I just rolled my eyes at "HOW CAN I SERVE YOU, MASTER?" with robo-maid & "HUR HUR WOMEN & THEIR WEIGHT, AM I RITE" and felt nothing with the battle system taking 90% of the control away from me to the point I could win battles by doing NOTHING. By the time the meters filled where I was allowed to actually....ya know...PLAY THE GAME, the battle was already over or close to it where I felt like it didn't matter. Unless the game decided "SURPRISE HERE'S AN ENEMY 30 LEVELS HIGHER THAN YOU OUTTA NOWHERE FROM THE SKY" & I died.

Thus comes the part where I'm told I'm wrong & that I'm not playing it right or how I need to get to the #th chapter or ## hours in before it becomes fun but all I think about is just how poor of a first impression it left me in comparison to seeing it on GotY lists or some trying to debate game of the decade.

Man, I dunno. I don't think I ever felt this way for a game. Sure, I don't care for certain games/franchises, but not to this level. & for a game in one of my favorite genres makes the feeling even stranger. I know I should give it a 2nd chance one of these days, but at the same time, I just don't feel motivated to do so. I don't know why I'm being so bullheaded about this one particular game. At least with BotW, despite bouncing off that game hard after 30 hours, I still understand why it clicked with so many people.
the battle system gets faster as you go, like significantly faster

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
the battle system gets faster as you go, like significantly faster
Man, that's the thing. I absolutely believe you, but then I just think about how long it could take before the game "gets good" & how I might just quit the game again before reaching that point. & it's not like I haven't used that argument before (Persona 4 has a slow start due to wanting to explain its story & mechanics). I guess my mentality is that I'd rather focus on my backlog & try something new, even if it's not that great, over going back to something that wasn't enjoyable even if it gets better.

Someday, when I have a month of nothing to play, I need to force myself to give it another shot. I made to...chapter 3, I wanna say, where I had to collect some parts to fix a ship or something.

Edit: I just realized, you were the same person trying to convince me back when the game came out & I was talking about my first impressions.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
*checks schedule*

Tonight's MHA is a bit slow, but it has some good moments.

SAO is still mostly buildup.

Fire Force continues to be sakuga.

Black Clover is a recap.

Remember tonight's Jojo being a pretty strong one.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been burning my way through the Worm web serial these last few weeks. Its a big read, I think its like 7 to 8 thousand pages long in total but god damn if this isn't the best piece of super hero fiction of the last decade. It actually reminds me of some works that came after it like MHA and OPM. MHA in that its a world were only a few decades in the past people started developing super powers for no real discernible reasons and that caused a huge restructuring in society to form around super heroes. Like OPM there are constant insane threats, like Dragon to God, that appear sporadically except there isn't a person like Saitama around to curb stomp them without problem Well there is a character like that but he's not at all reliable to do the job fast or efficient enough, if at all. I'd even go so far as to say it outclasses anything Marvel or DC has put out in a long damn time, to the point I'm kind of flabbergasted that stuff like The Boys gets adapted but Worm hasn't. Really excellent stuff.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that's the thing. I absolutely believe you, but then I just think about how long it could take before the game "gets good" & how I might just quit the game again before reaching that point. & it's not like I haven't used that argument before (Persona 4 has a slow start due to wanting to explain its story & mechanics). I guess my mentality is that I'd rather focus on my backlog & try something new, even if it's not that great, over going back to something that wasn't enjoyable even if it gets better.

Someday, when I have a month of nothing to play, I need to force myself to give it another shot. I made to...chapter 3, I wanna say, where I had to collect some parts to fix a ship or something.

Edit: I just realized, you were the same person trying to convince me back when the game came out & I was talking about my first impressions.
don't feel pressured to like something just because one of your friends does, the only thing I can do is try to make you see my point of view, but it doesn't mean you have to share it

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I got a real bad cold.

The sort of cold where your limbs feel cold and achy, but your stomach feels like it could liquefy.

Fun times ahead.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I got a real bad cold.

The sort of cold where your limbs feel cold and achy, but your stomach feels like it could liquefy.

Fun times ahead.
I got a cold on the last day of my previous job, 4 hours before my insurance expired, and 2 days before I had to be up early to make it to my new job.
I drank a 2 liter of Ginger Ale each day and consumed a ton of Zinc, and got past the "bad" part in 5 days and the lingering stuff in 2 weeks
Good luck

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
i would probably start catching up on fire force if i wasn't so addicted to Carole and Tuesday right now

also where the fuck do i buy the soundtrack for that show

Status
Not open for further replies.