• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Our own Toonami Escape Weekly Podcast, Hosted by thread regulars Grexeno, B-Dubs, and CKohler. Click the button above for the RSS link.

New webcast every Friday at ~8:00pm

Other useful links:

Toonami.com
Toonami Facebook
Toonami Simulcast
Toonami Tumblr

CFuJ1vO.png

dmLl8t5.png

DYc19RE.png

b8KZ6Pg.png

q8ll9GI.png

k3f4PNJ.png

yZFmgz4.png

K1KPxCc.png

CFuJ1vO.png

CfpKSt9.png

CFuJ1vO.png

Show end dates. Through currently announced episodes. Does not account for unannounced marathons, etc.

FLCL Progressive (rerun): August 18
Pop Team Epic: September 22
Cowboy Bebop: October 13
FLCL Alternative: October 20
One Punch Man (rerun): November 3
Lupin the Third Part IV (rerun): December 1
Black Clover: December 15
Attack on Titan Season 3: February 2, 2019 (assuming 24 episodes)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable: May 18, 2019
Hunter x Hunter: June 1, 2019
My Hero Academia: July 27, 2019
Dragon Ball Super: August 31, 2019
Naruto Shippuden: February 3, 2024
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

|OT0||OT1||OT2||OT3||OT4||OT5||OT6||OT7||OT8||OT9|
|Jan14||Feb14||Mar14||Apr14||May14||Jun14||Jul14||Aug14||Sep14||Oct14||Nov14||Dec14|
|Jan15||Feb15||Mar15||Apr15||May15||Jun15||Jul15||Aug15||Sep15||Oct15||NovDec15|
|Jan16||Feb16||Mar16||Apr16||May16||JunJul16||AugSep16||OctNovDec16|
|JanFeb17||MarApr17||MayJun17||JulAug17||SepOct17||NovDec17|
|JanFeb18||MarApr18||MayJun18|

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Before I vent, let me just say that humor is very subjective & I'm not going to change anyone's opinion on the show if they find it funny. I can't just explain why I don't think it works & expect you to not find it funny, or vice versa, explaining why something should be funny & you go "OH OKAY, NOW I FIND IT FUNNY", that's not how humor works. Laugh at what you find funny, I'm not going to change that.

Alright. So. Let me explain my dislike for PTE by comparing it to a show I used to absolutely love as a teen: Bo-Bobo.

Bo-Bobo is basically Mad Libs: The Anime & I fully understand why it doesn't work for some people, especially with how random it can get. But there was still some (be it barely there, hanging on a thread) method to the madness & chaos that was happening, with characters who acted as the audience surrogate unable to comprehend all the crazy shit that would unfold. Plus there was an actual plot & more importantly, people who would witness the chaos and react to it, thus allowing the characters to play off each other.

Let's throw in Cromartie High School as well, one of my favorite comedic animes. You could argue that show gets surreal as well, but what makes it great is that there's still some sense of reality no matter how insane things got & part of the joke was reality sinking in, plus the fact the characters were interacting with each other. Simply put, both this & Bo-bobo had a cause and effect. A set up and punchline. Point A to Point B. Logic to the illogical humor.

Now. Let's take some scenes from PTE & question why they're suppose to be funny. Take the random scene where all of a sudden, they're referencing Skyrim. Okay.....WHY are they referencing Skyrim? I could argue that Family Guy, SOMEHOW, does a better job with just cutting to random references that don't contribute to anything because they're actually doing something with said reference, like make fun of it or spin it in a new light. You can't just point out that something exists & expect it to be funny, you have to make a statement that's more than that. I know Pokemon is a thing, so why bring it up if you're going to do nothing with it? You can't just make the characters look like Berserk & insta-comedy. That's just combining 2 things from pop culture, one of the laziest things you can do.

Not to mention, the physical humor just doesn't work because nobody reacts to it most of the time. Part of what makes it work is the seeing the reaction, or if there's no reaction from the person who got hit, from another person questioning why it didn't work. At least Space Dandy acknowledges the fact that in certain episodes, they die, so when it's just brought up nonchalantly, it's funny. Here, just onto the next skit like nothing happened. It's almost like they either have a setup, but forgot the punchline, or a punchline that has no setup. Random for the sake of randomness. Hell, I would argue that the Dandy episode we just watched still felt like its weirdness still worked because it made "sense" within the context of the show & your suspension of disbelief goes along for the ride.

If I had to give it some form of praise, the dub is instantly better because I believe that hearing a joke is usually funnier than just reading it. Watching the dub, I will admit I got some chuckles out of some of the deliveries from the VAs, but that wasn't because of the joke itself, it was because I recognized who was doing the voice & I was laughing because "hah, that's Chris Sabat saying that" & how he delivered it. Which doesn't work in Japanese when I'm not entirely familiar with Japanese VAs, so when I'm reading the subtitles, they don't nearly have the same impact.

Speaking of which, I've heard this is really only done in the first episode, but simply swapping the VAs doesn't really work if you just repeat the exact same jokes with absolutely no variation. It's like hearing a joke you don't find funny but now someone else is telling it to you again mere minutes later, acting like if someone else says it or says it in a different voice, it goes from unfunny to funny. Sure, hearing a different VA say a similar line in their own unique voice is kind of funny, but again, I'm finding it more the VA saying it itself funny, not the line within the context of the show.

I know I'm putting WAY too much thought into what is basically the anime version of Tim & Eric or Robot Chicken, but I don't like those shows either nor their style of "anti-comedy" or "the equivalent of shitposting" (which I get more than enough from being online). I guess it's just the fact that I know comedy is extremely hard to do & this goes against what I grew up with/the style of comedy that I developed thanks to shows like Simpsons & Futurama. Plus I owe you guys a serious post explaining why I really disliked the first episode. I was really hoping I could stop acting so damn angry for a non-Black Clover show with Kai off the block, & while I'm not getting my hopes up, I really hope future episodes won't be anywhere as infuriating like the first, as I instantly dropped the series after finishing the first episode.

If anything, I need to do a better job of trying to type up more of these serious posts detailing the reasons I dislike something & less "GRRRRRRRRRRRR THIS MAKES ME SOOOO MAD". I don't know why I was able to go into so much detail for a comedy when I'm not really able to articulate my likes or dislikes for other genres/shows, but this was the best I could do & I completely get it if you disagree with me.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
is pop team epic good

My genuine answer to this is that it's not something I would seek out on my own, but I'm okay turning off my brain for 30 minutes with it on while I occupy myself in some other way. In fact it's somewhat nice I don't have to pay full attention to it and be wary of missing something.

Or in other words it's suitable for white noise.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting Pop Team Epic to be controversial on here, but not this much.

It's an animated adaption of a 4 panel comedy manga. It's meme humor. It's not for everyone. It's 13 episodes, so it'll be gone by October.

It doesn't consistently make me laugh, but I won't deny it has some legit fantastic sketches later on.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
reposting, cause it got ate by the lock:

Well, I'm still not out of the ward just yet (Special thing,) , but this was an awesome preview of what I have to look forward to.

Results:
DBS: 8.5/10. +1 for first official Arale intro EVER.
MHA: 7/10 Fun, loved Bakugo getting knocked down a peg
FuriCuriP: 5.5/10 Seems like they just are hitting the beats, and not making a comeback. Almost feels like a cover band.
PTE: 6/10, mostly because of the thread's responses to it.
JoJo: 8/10 Was this a fun time? YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES.
HXH: 6/10. +1 for Little Kuriboh. It just feels like it's been going on for ages.
BC: 7/10 Suprisingly funny! Not really much else to say here.
NS: -/10. Took Break.
SD: 6.5/10 Bit moody, bit edgy for Dandy, but still cool.
CB: 8/10 Good first part
LupinV: -/10 I'm a Lupin fanboi with a score that'd be too biased.

I hope to get out of here and start posting here more, but that's up to the clinic.

Weather you post here a little or a lot, you guys mean more to me then you know.

Stay strong, in body and mind.

<3

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Do you like Adult Swim's style of humor? You will like it.

If you don't, you will really dislike it.

Honestly, I think part of the problem is that it's the show that's between FLCL & Jojo, so that whole "2 hours of nothing but greatness" that I had previously with MHA, FLCL, Jojo, & HxH in a row is gone. It breaks up the flow that combination of shows had going, like when we had to deal with Black Clover being before HxH. If this was the first show, I feel like I wouldn't feel as annoyed because I'd just see it as "well, it's the transition show from AS to Toonami" & then just move on to the rest of the block.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Next week on Toonami:

10:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 70 - A Challenge From Champa! This Time, a Baseball Game!!
11:00 - My Hero Academia - 9 - Yeah, Just Do Your Best, Iida!

11:30 - FLCL: Progressive - 6 - Our Run - END
12:00 - Pop Team Epic - 2 - Vanver — A Game in Another Dimension
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders: Battle in Egypt - 43 - The Miasma of the Void, Cool Ice, Part 2
1:00 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 102 - Power × And × Games
1:30 - Black Clover - 29 - Path
2:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 209 - Danzo's Right Arm

2:30 - Space Dandy - 22 - We're All Fools, So Let's All Dance, Baby
3:00 - Cowboy Bebop - 13 - Jupiter Jazz (Part 2)
3:30 - Lupin the Third Part IV - 6 - Venice of the Dead

Later.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Next week should be good. Super looks to be hilarious once again, MHA should be alright, FLCL seems like it could go out on a high note, we're fighting the last guy before Dio, HxH continues to be good, & the awesome dance episode of Space Dandy that gave us ZEN LA ROCK:

I've got the full version of this on my phone, such a great song.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Once again rather great. The animation was easily its best & stood out among the rest of the episodes, plus a lot more things were happening leading up to the finale, which should hopefully cap things off nicely. It felt the closest to the spirit of the original.

Hell, at this rate, it feels like they had more ideas & effort put into the last 3 episodes, but then forgot that they had another 3 & had to figure out how to "start" the series.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, you would think they would show King of the Hill in the 5am hour slot before the license expires, but nah let's just show the Cleveland Show

edit: Also, you're all getting this for Xmas

DiGwSBe.jpg

Last edited:

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting Pop Team Epic to be controversial on here, but not this much.

It's an animated adaption of a 4 panel comedy manga. It's meme humor. It's not for everyone. It's 13 episodes, so it'll be gone by October.

It doesn't consistently make me laugh, but I won't deny it has some legit fantastic sketches later on.
okay, but it still needs to be good meme humor

it's not though

and the repetition is just making sure that any jokes that DO hit the first time round just annoy you when you see them again 15 minutes later, so you can't even really enjoy what they're offering up in the first place

it's just terrible

Like Zonic brought up Robot Chicken as a comparison, but that's actually a disservice to Robot Chicken, and I can't believe I just wrote that last phrase since Robot Chicken is the hottest of garbage. Robot Chicken is garbage, because it consists entirely of "remember this thing? well it's got violence and cursing now!" Pop Team Epic doesn't even add a second step. It's just "remember this thing exists? you should laugh because you remember. And now laugh as I do literally the same thing again."

Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see how Pop Team does in the ratings since it's not much different from the Adult Swim comedy fare. Like that show about Millennials they advertised a couple times last night

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for Watanabe shows being on the block FLCL would've been the best episode last night

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
i liked it when Sabat and Sinclair were the voices

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously just doing half a show and then repeating it word for word to fill time is the most baffling decision I've ever seen in TV.

It's like the show creators are just going, "well I can't be bothered to think of a full show's worth of ideas, so whatever. Watch it twice."

That's not okay.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously just doing half a show and then repeating it word for word to fill time is the most baffling decision I've ever seen in TV.

It's like the show creators are just going, "well I can't be bothered to think of a full show's worth of ideas, so whatever. Watch it twice."

That's not okay.

I don't think you really understand what PTE is trying to do.

But it's succeeded, I can tell you that.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yay, were finally at these episodes of Hunter X Hunter.

That's not okay.

It was baffling the first time watching it when it aired in Japan, so I get what you're saying.

Another part of PTE is the amount of famous voice actors they got to voice Popuko and Pipimi. You kinda see that in the first episode of the dub with Sabat voicing Popuko, but it's not something that will translate well. Like, Funimation's pool of VAs is fine, but it won't have the same pull as hearing freaking Norio Wakamoto (Cell, M.Bison) voice Popuko at one point. It's the equivalent of getting Mark Hamil (Joker) and Kevin Conroy (Batman) to voice the two mains in this series for an episode, then following it up with Nancy Cartwright (Bart) and Yeardley Smith (Lisa) in the second showing.

Yeah, at the end of the day, it's a way to save money for them, but there is a novelty to hearing famous voice actors say stupid shit in a shitty meme show. That doesn't translate well in a dub, especially one that was simudubbed, so they got whoever was in the studio at the time.

Essentually, it's modern Simpsons for better or for worse. "Oh my God, it's *insert famous person here*. Look at the pull we have!"

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
i will say that as beautiful as that episode of dandy was last night i think the best looking thing was the opening of Progressive

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I like to imagine that Vanilla Ice took the time to carve the message into that pillar (in Japanese, no less) for the sole purpose of screwing with whoever came across it.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I like to imagine that Vanilla Ice took the time to carve the message into that pillar (in Japanese, no less) for the sole purpose of screwing with whoever came across it.
I also love how when he immediately decapitated himself when Dio wanted blood and Dio was just like

"Oh I didn't really needed your blood you could have gotten someone else ......didn't think you would do it"

And

"......you didn't need to destroy my wall"

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Dio's one true love died 100 years ago and he took his body in remembrance

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know what's replacing FLCL?
No. But I think most people assume it's repeating. Though that still won't take us to September for Alternative so perhaps we'll get the mystery 3rd acquisition that Demarco teased.

But I'm betting it's just a repeat that they don't even push down the block.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
Some parts of Pop Team Epic left me wondering if some of the humor didn't translate well; like, the "don't shoot" bit seemed like it might have been some more involved wordplay than how it ended up? And some of it did definitely rely heavily on references for the sake of references, but I don't think it's fair to write it off on the basis of those segments alone since, like, there's some thought that's gone into the generic anime fake-out and something like the Your Name segment relied on comedic timing that in turn played on the visuals of that reference. By the same token, something like Tim and Eric has a recognizable sense of humor, whether it's through contrast or presentation or repetition or the sheer absurdity of the situation or, again, just timing to generate a reaction.

So, I dunno. Pop Team Epic had some okay parts and overall seems like a hit-or-miss sketch show where a good chunk of them don't feel like they landed for one reason or another. That doesn't, like, require a consistency of characterization or a coherent world to really fix; even "random" comedy is down to delivery and presentation and whatnot and it felt absent in some of the segments, whether it was through not translating well or some basic problem with the writing (and even then you could maybe argue that the comedy is meant to be the absurdity of pop culture stuff as presented through these weird character designs, which I'd say isn't exaggerated enough to really come across but at least it's something). But some of that thought was present in some of the other sketches, so we'll see I suppose. The rapid-fire nature of the show does make the parts that don't work a little easier to digest since it's not like the Skyrim bit was more than two seconds.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
No. But I think most people assume it's repeating. Though that still won't take us to September for Alternative so perhaps we'll get the mystery 3rd acquisition that Demarco teased.

Do we know when Attack on Titan is coming back?

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The xml schedule shows that FLCL is repeating in its timeslot.

Status
Not open for further replies.