• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a person who has spent literally hundreds of hours this past decade assembling a living dex and giving everything unique/good egg moves, their hidden abilities if applicable and great ivs, with two different pokemon banks going and you'd think I'd be the most furious about some Pokemon not being in Sword/Shield right away/at all. Nope. I heard that and went, great, a little less upkeep for your boy Man God coming next year!

I also liked when Gen 3 didn't have about half the pokemon with Ruby/Sapphire, that no previous gen Pokémon appeared in Black/White, that you couldn't evolve stuff outside of the first 151 in Fire Red/Leaf Green without the National dex. I like limits...and I'm also sure that they'll all appear by the very latest in whatever Sword/Shield sequel they do after the fan revolt.

I finished the Johto dex for my breeding project on Friday and am moving onto Hoenn probably after I beat Persona 3 Portable (doing the male route fully for the first time, have done FeMC before) and probably FF V two times for the fiesta. Maybe if my partner in crime isn't done with his stuff by then I'll also do P4G, a game I've never actually beaten and Persona Q, which I hear is stupid long.

I've done gen 1/2 and 7 now. Gen 3 is the second longest one I have left, though it has a lot of pokemon without HAs. Gen 5 is going to be a nightmare; I'll have to dig through a lot of my older titles to find all those HA pokemon. Might even need to bust out Dream Radar!

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Look at this stupid ass dog.

pokemon-yamper-2x.png

I love him.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

Oct 25, 2017
My issue with Sword & Shield isn't the "Dexit"
It's just Pokemon being boring in general lately. I basically had to brute-force my way through ORAS. I barely got through Sun & Moon. I didn't even try Ultra Sun/Moon.
Yamper is super-adorable, but it's not enough to make me drop $60 on the game.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it took Sun/Moon that long or longer to get Bank support.

I'm not betting on three months but within a year or two they'll be a pokemon game with all the stuff in it.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not betting on three months but within a year or two they'll be a pokemon game with all the stuff in it.
I mean, yeah. If everything doesn't get patched in with Home the next game will have everything that's missing.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Swoleku, Swolearmin, nothing, nothing, Swolema, Swolesta, Swole Lee, Swole Guy, Swole Ral, Swole Might.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon is a franchise that buckles under the weight of its own expectations and glacial pace of advancement.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

After this back lash I assume they'll course correct to prioritize it going forward, and they're just putting on a front of standing their ground to not knee cap sales by saying "the next game will have all the pokemon"

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest also slowed to a crawl with releases

Dragon Quest 1-7 released over a 14 year span

Dragon Quest 8-11 released over a 14 year span, and one of those is an mmo

I know it doesn't have the same symmetry but it's DQ VII that started all the trouble, that game was scrapped at least once in development and is what caused DQ to perenially come out late in the console cycle, though it would have been inevitable by DQ XI anyways as development just takes forever. DQ 1-5 all came out regularly, with a slight delay for DQ VI which is when they started doing remakes to pad out the schedule.

The MMO did a lot to advance the series, more than any other game.

Pokémon also changes stuff all the time that casual observers would never notice.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm just thinking about how the Pokemon license would lend itself to an online focused game. Not even talking MMO's but just a game where you could walk around towns with your friends or challenge random people who phase into your world like invasions in Dark Souls.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Pokémon also changes stuff all the time that casual observers would never notice.

While I agree under the hood mechanically pokemon has changed a lot, that's not really a sexy thing you can market to people. Most of it's sexy changes you can advertise like triple battles, rotation battles, mega evolutions, z moves, contests, pokemon following you, etc get dumped after one game for no reason.

Also I can't comment on DQX cause I'm not Japanese and I don't play MMO's so I'll take your word for it. My comment was mostly focused on for most people on this form DQX basically doesn't exist.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
While I agree under the hood mechanically pokemon has changed a lot, that's not really a sexy thing you can market to people. Most of it's sexy changes you can advertise like triple battles, rotation battles, mega evolutions, z moves, contests, pokemon following you, etc get dumped after one game for no reason.

Also I can't comment on DQX cause I'm not Japanese and I don't play MMO's so I'll take your word for it. My comment was mostly focused on for most people on this form DQX basically doesn't exist.

They basically reworked their original idea for DQ IX into a battle system for the online X because of a traditionalist backlash for DQ IX turning into an action game.

So VII and IX had troubled development, and XI turned into two games (really three with the Switch version) when it was clear that PS4 wouldn't carry the sales alone.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I know it doesn't have the same symmetry but it's DQ VII that started all the trouble, that game was scrapped at least once in development and is what caused DQ to perenially come out late in the console cycle, though it would have been inevitable by DQ XI anyways as development just takes forever. DQ 1-5 all came out regularly, with a slight delay for DQ VI which is when they started doing remakes to pad out the schedule.

tbh DQ9 is also a bit mmoish with its class/quest structure

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
tbh DQ9 is also a bit mmoish with its class/quest structure
It's true but they were originally going to make it even more MMOish combat system wise. Think Xenoblade or FF XII. Japanese fans were not too keen on the idea so they shelved it...and did it anyways with DQ X.

DQ IX being multiplayer is a really cool idea with a decent implementation that will be pretty interesting when remade. The game basically invented Streetpass (though it's actually in quite a few SE games before that one, DQ IX is the reason it's a standard feature of the 3DS) and the way it handles characters closely resembles DQ III in that they're nameless faceless servants of good. The job system is VI/VII mixed with VIII and is one of my favorites in the series.

It's very likely the next game to be remade.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's true but they were originally going to make it even more MMOish combat system wise. Think Xenoblade or FF XII. Japanese fans were not too keen on the idea so they shelved it...and did it anyways with DQ X.

DQ IX being multiplayer is a really cool idea with a decent implementation that will be pretty interesting when remade. The game basically invented Streetpass (though it's actually in quite a few SE games before that one, DQ IX is the reason it's a standard feature of the 3DS) and the way it handles characters closely resembles DQ III in that they're nameless faceless servants of good. The job system is VI/VII mixed with VIII and is one of my favorites in the series.

It's very likely the next game to be remade.

10th anniversary stream on thursday yeah

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That moment when you realize that a certain stand is responsible for all the OP skips on Toonami.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dr Stone is my favorite Yu-Gi-Oh series so far

I haven't watched Vinland Saga yet because my wife wants to watch it with me

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Cleaning at work tonight & someone threw away an unopened box of condoms.

...I've got nothing else to add, just that you find weird things at times cleaning.

*sigh*

The fuck is a Soul Eater...Not?
What if Soul Eater got a prequel that tried to dive more into the show's universe & the whole thing about people becoming weapons and finding partners

But then the mangaka decided it needed more K-On & it's cute girls doing cute things and Bones had the budget of minimum wage.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Cleaning at work tonight & someone threw away an unopened box of condoms.

...I've got nothing else to add, just that you find weird things at times cleaning.

Sounds like someone went to a movie hoping to get it on with a date (safely) but it didnt work out

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
"Do you know the Lord sir?"

"Why the fuck is that any of your business? Now take your damn chicken and beat it."

Status
Not open for further replies.