• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
okay what the fuck were people expecting from a switch 'light' in the first place? i mean damn did you think a handheld only switch would have every feature that a regular one would have just without a fucking dock?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
okay what the fuck were people expecting from a switch 'light' in the first place? i mean damn did you think a handheld only switch would have every feature that a regular one would have just without a fucking dock?
I dunno, this is exactly what we were lead to expect when the rumors first started coming out.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Very thankful that most people on era don't work in professional advertising/branding/business in general, because "WHY CAlL It A SWitCh iF it CanT sWiTCH hoW cAn yOU fUCK ThIs Up" that is 80% of that thread is causing me to think I have a brain tumor

My only complaint is that I wish it was $50 cheaper so I could order one today with zero questions, and that they address how 2 switches can exist with one account if I buy one to be my main switch but want to have the option to use my old one

Tenumi

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I'm only conflicted because I really want a Switch, and this drops the entry price and would make it easier for me to get one. However, I don't like the feeling of missing out and I worry about that, especially without the dock-ability.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only conflicted because I really want a Switch, and this drops the entry price and would make it easier for me to get one. However, I don't like the feeling of missing out and I worry about that, especially without the dock-ability.
Right now there aren't any docked-only games (that I know of). The fact they added that this is only handheld-only makes me think some Wii games might be getting ported over. The joycons have way better motion control than the Wiimote+ did, so I could see them doing that.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Then... just buy the normal Switch? If you wait till Black Friday, you will be able to get the original Switch for $250 at at least 1 retailer.
And a lot of the features that people are complaining about like "you can't take the joycon off and play 2 players on one switch".... I want receipts that anyone over the age of 25 has done this more than once as an owner of a switch just to prove that it can happen, because in all practical terms, when the fuck are you going to be in a situation to do that?!?
Having a system that actively prevents players from making poor purchasing decisions like 1-2 Switch or Mario Party is also a good example of a corporation doing right by it's customers. It's like constantly raising taxes on Ciggarettes to the point where it's $10 a pack now, or banning all flavored Juul pods from physical stores- You shouldn't be doing this, but if you are an adult who is consenting to this while knowing all of the factors behind it, you may buy it, but there will be a premium attached

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, this is exactly what we were lead to expect when the rumors first started coming out.
i always expected it to have pared down features to make it more affordable, and to me that means things like no tv-out, but for some reason people seem to have expected that feature to still be there and i don't understand why

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
i always expected it to have pared down features to make it more affordable, and to me that means things like no tv-out, but for some reason people seem to have expected that feature to still be there and i don't understand why
As we were talking about yesterday, these are the same people who once complained about paying for 250 channels when they only wanted 6 specific channels, and who are now furious that they are being asked to pay for every specific streaming service that has content they want instead of paying 1 low price and getting everything

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Very thankful that most people on era don't work in professional advertising/branding/business in general, because "WHY CAlL It A SWitCh iF it CanT sWiTCH hoW cAn yOU fUCK ThIs Up" that is 80% of that thread is causing me to think I have a brain tumor

My only complaint is that I wish it was $50 cheaper so I could order one today with zero questions, and that they address how 2 switches can exist with one account if I buy one to be my main switch but want to have the option to use my old one
I use two Switches with one account right now. The secondary account just needs to check in online to play the games.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
*resets days since gaming-era has shown its butt sign back to zero*

We're gonna make it to three days eventually guys...

...maybe.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Right now there aren't any docked-only games (that I know of). The fact they added that this is only handheld-only makes me think some Wii games might be getting ported over. The joycons have way better motion control than the Wiimote+ did, so I could see them doing that.

While not docked only, no joycons means that 1-2 switch and super mario party are basically pointless. The latter is probably gonna be the biggest issue for switch mini owners.

It may actually be why super mario party strangely got no updates or dlc. Perhaps a sequel will be announced that only uses traditional controls.

Edit: I forgot about Labo, but I think Nintendo has too

Last edited:

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd probably get switch light if having 2 wasn't pointless for me

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
God this is the stupidest thing. A different name for the device would basically be an equivalent but reciprocal problem that the Wii U had. (Different name for same product family rather than same name for different product family)

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
God this is the stupidest thing. A different name for the device would basically be an equivalent but reciprocal problem that the Wii U had. (Different name for same product family rather than same name for different product family)
Yup. Switch Mini still plays Switch games. A new name would just confuse the hell out of people.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Wii U gave a lot of people the impression that Nintendo doesn't know what they're doing, especially those who were saying that it was only a matter of time before Nintendo slipped and went third party

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the Wii U gave a lot of people the impression that Nintendo doesn't know what they're doing, especially those who were saying that it was only a matter of time before Nintendo slipped and went third party
Those people were always crazy.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Switch Mini still plays Switch games. A new name would just confuse the hell out of people.

I worked enough in retail to know these questions would plague store employees.

'Wait what is the Nintendo NewName? Is that their new system?'
'No it just plays the same games as Switch'

or

'I don't want the Nintendo Whatever, I want a Switch that I've heard about'
'That is a Switch, just a new model'
'Why does it have a different name?'

etc

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

or

etc
Exactly. Anyone who has ever worked retail knows what a shitshow it would have been if they gave it a new name.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017

or

etc
why can't my Wii play this Wii game

That's a Wii U Game

What's the difference?

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
why can't my Wii play this Wii game

That's a Wii U Game

What's the difference?

Right, that's why I said it's equivalent but reciprocal. The opposite problem.

Exactly. Anyone who has ever worked retail knows what a shitshow it would have been if they gave it a new name.

Not to mention ALL the branding they would have to put up with if there were two names for the system. Boxes, commercials, trailers, etc.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Some people lack common sense

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
the same ps4 that has that dumb weapons shop owner tryin to act like you're cool for owning a ps4

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is, WTF WHY DOES THE LITE HAVE AN ACTUAL D-PAD, SELL ME AN OFFICIAL JOYCON THAT HAS ONE.

Also all the people complaining are probably the same people who were all "so what's the point of a 3DS without the 3D, all you have left is a S!!". Of course they were going to remove stuff to make a cheaper, handheld only version after seeing the data of people who were mainly using it in handheld most of the time. Granted, this will be more annoying compared to 3DS & 2DS since Lite won't work with Labo, it'll suck for some parents to learn some games need extra controllers for specific games, but oh well.

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo: "Rumors of us working on a Switch Mini are inaccurate."

Also Nintendo: "YO, WELCOME THE NEWEST ADDITION TO THE SWITCH FAMILY - THE NINTENDO SWITCH LITE!"

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
In weird news I think we missed?

download.png

Huh. Wonder what two fell through, and why?

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Also i quickly checked TV listings for July 20, just to see, and they show a placeholder lineup.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
In weird news I think we missed?

download.png

Huh. Wonder what two fell through, and why?

If I had to speculate, maybe Fire Force and MHA S4. Like, it's weird that My Hero got pushed back to the very back of the block out of nowhere. Even if it wasn't getting bomb ratings, it would still make sense to air it before Gundam and Lupin.

I'm guessing Funimation probably doesn't want to their delay their simuldub premieres anymore so that they can "debut first" on Toonami.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to speculate, maybe Fire Force and MHA S4. Like, it's weird that My Hero got pushed back to the very back of the block out of nowhere. Even if it wasn't getting bomb ratings, it would still make sense to air it before Gundam and Lupin.

I'm guessing Funimation probably doesn't want to their delay their simuldub premieres anymore so that they can "debut first" on Toonami.
Could have been pressure from Crunchy as well. They are partners with Toonami and likely want slots free to put their shows in instead of them being filled with the competitors stuff.

Beyond that sony hasn't announced their own streaming service yet, so perhaps we will see a service from sony that combines funimation now, aniplex titles and sony pictures (and I think they make some TV shows as well)

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
prediction: there isn't actually any heat between toonami and Funimation, and we'll be getting MHA on the block as would be normal

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
*tries the Kill la Kill If demo*

...ya know, I only played MHA One's Justice for like 5 minutes, but I think Kill la Kill might be the better game solely due to the fact you have a more varied moveset? Though while it's cool they dubbed the game with the original cast, the demo showcased that the dub audio does NOT sync with the mouth movements at all, though maybe that'll change for the full version. A shame the LE is exclusive to ASW's store.

Presentation is a bit mixed. Half the time it looks rather good, but then other times it seems a bit stiff or too fluid, causing an uncanny valley with the graphical style. Bloody valor is a decent idea, but can feel a bit too random due to it being rock paper scissors, but I guess you could also try to play mind games & figure out what you think the opponent will choose, i.e. being low on health but not choosing to recover health.

Considering the reputation of the Little Witch Academia game, this is surprisingly decent. I don't think I'll get it at launch due to my backlog but at least it's more on my radar.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
*pierrot makes a sakuga episode of black clover*

black clover fan: The anime is finally getting better!

*the next episode looks like shit*

black clover fan: Ah well I'm sure it will get better soon.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
prediction: there isn't actually any heat between toonami and Funimation, and we'll be getting MHA on the block as would be normal
I do find it hard to believe that Toonami wouldn't air the next season of MHA or attack on titan but who knows.

I still don't understand why we aren't getting a bunch of crunchy shows to replace things right now given their partnership.

Status
Not open for further replies.