• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017

This betrayal here is SAO tier dumb.

Pumyra hates Lion-O more than the dude who directed the attack that killed her?

Oct 25, 2017
Having 100%'d Symphony of the Night right before work yesterday, I feel like it suffers the same unique problem I have with Skies of Arcadia. Both are games I appreciate & understand why they have following, but I feel like I waited way too long to actually play them, thus I think I built up a bit too high expectations due to their legacies, not to mention I have waaay more games to compare them to, thus making some of their flaws stand out a bit more. Had I played them when I was younger, I think they would've had more impact on me in terms of overall enjoyment, but at the very least, I can still respect them knowing what they've done & knowing a younger me would've still really liked it.

...anyone else feel that way for certain games, movies, shows, etc.?
Any Star Wars movie that's not Empire Strikes back.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
They announced that it's shortening to 11-3:30, that Super is at 11, and Gundam is at 1. You pretty much can determine the whole schedule from that.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
My Youtube recommendations usually-"SJW ruin another game! #GoWokeGoBroke" or some other variant of nonsense.

My Youtube recommendations lately-
download.png

Well...it's an improvement?

Oct 25, 2017
My Youtube recommendations usually-"SJW ruin another game! #GoWokeGoBroke" or some other variant of nonsense.

My Youtube recommendations lately-
download.png

Well...it's an improvement?

I'll be honest I have no idea how everyone here seems to get those "SJWs are the worst" videos. I never get them.

Is Thundercats Roar still going to happen? I expect alot of people to start looking more fondly on this show again once it comes out.

Yeah whatever happened to that? They said 2019, but we're over halfway into the year and... nothing. Not even a preview.
Well, SDCC is soon. Perhaps something there?

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Why did they instruct everyone to pronounce Erina's last name like a southern grandma would?

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo didn't realize what they were doing with the Mario Maker series.

They didn't count on Satan making courses.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I want three houses to have an ending where you just give everyone detention and make them write on blackboards for hours

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Nintendo didn't realize what they were doing with the Mario Maker series.

They didn't count on Satan making courses.

At least this level is short, I got baited into play a level that took nearly the whole 500 seconds where you had to hold a shell while you slowly went down donut blocks and skull platforms on track, only to get to an ending where you had to make a tight gap jump through invisible spikes that you could only discover via trial and error.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Having 100%'d Symphony of the Night right before work yesterday, I feel like it suffers the same unique problem I have with Skies of Arcadia. Both are games I appreciate & understand why they have following, but I feel like I waited way too long to actually play them, thus I think I built up a bit too high expectations due to their legacies, not to mention I have waaay more games to compare them to, thus making some of their flaws stand out a bit more. Had I played them when I was younger, I think they would've had more impact on me in terms of overall enjoyment, but at the very least, I can still respect them knowing what they've done & knowing a younger me would've still really liked it.

...anyone else feel that way for certain games, movies, shows, etc.?
I mean, the secret is that any game pre.... 2008? is going to feel like shit playing for the first time in 2019, just because the industry hadn't done things like figure out universal control schemes or an understanding that frustration for the sake of frustration just means people won't buy your game. There are probably 50 or more metroidvanias that are "better" than SOTN because they are better informed by good game design practices, but SOTN still stands out for me because of a lot of the small choices they made- Alucard moves at a pace that is a little slower than you would like, but not slow enough that it feels annoying- it leads to you spending a few extra seconds in each room, where you get to take in more of the brackground art. Compare this to Super Metroid- where Samus runs at 10000 mph if you so much as breath on the Dpad, or in modern Metroidvanias where you get some sort of dash very quickly.

Any JRPG from the 90s-early 00s is going to feel unplayable with grind requirements and the pace of random battles- it's why they let you turn them off in the FF re-releases

Any 3rd person game from pre-360 era is going to feel like it has a terrible camera, most console FPS will feel like they got the controls/sensitivity wrong, etc

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
BLACK CLOVER CHARACTER OF THE DAY: Gueldre Poizot

The former captain of the Purple Orcas and the original traitor to the Clover Kingdom who let the eye of the midnight sun into the capital. Uses transparency magic to makes things invisible/intangible, which allowed him to smuggle things to help out his efforts in smuggling. He was caught and...actually I don't remember exactly what happened to him. He's no longer the captain though.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the secret is that any game pre.... 2008? is going to feel like shit playing for the first time in 2019, just because the industry hadn't done things like figure out universal control schemes or an understanding that frustration for the sake of frustration just means people won't buy your game. There are probably 50 or more metroidvanias that are "better" than SOTN because they are better informed by good game design practices, but SOTN still stands out for me because of a lot of the small choices they made- Alucard moves at a pace that is a little slower than you would like, but not slow enough that it feels annoying- it leads to you spending a few extra seconds in each room, where you get to take in more of the brackground art. Compare this to Super Metroid- where Samus runs at 10000 mph if you so much as breath on the Dpad, or in modern Metroidvanias where you get some sort of dash very quickly.

Any JRPG from the 90s-early 00s is going to feel unplayable with grind requirements and the pace of random battles- it's why they let you turn them off in the FF re-releases

Any 3rd person game from pre-360 era is going to feel like it has a terrible camera, most console FPS will feel like they got the controls/sensitivity wrong, etc

Being an old the only one of these that truly gets me would be playing N64 console FPS's, and even that I can get used to again after about ten minutes.

I like my RPGs grindy and don't use those features other than fast forward. Also RE 4 is the standard of 3rd person action and that's a GCN game.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think any post NES game are generally "modern" enough to play. I cant for the life of me go and play Atari games (I can definitely play the arcade games of the time though)

I think most of the aging is storytelling, and QOL changes. SOTN allows you to backdash to go really fast, which is what I always did lol. Most SNES english JRPS don't really require grind anymore. Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasies, Secret of Mana, and such dont really require me to grind at all (Secret of Mana is worth it to overuse magic, if you dont know that magic leveling can be grindy). I wasnt allowed to play the PS1 (My bro had just turned old enough to realize giving games to children was dumb) so I don't have a lot of experience with those games as I don't really like PS1 graphics. I dont remember the final fantasy games being grindy (never played 8) Ive heard the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona games of that generation were pretty grindy.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Being an old the only one of these that truly gets me would be playing N64 console FPS's, and even that I can get used to again after about ten minutes.

I like my RPGs grindy and don't use those features other than fast forward. Also RE 4 is the standard of 3rd person action and that's a GCN game.
Except it incredibly isn't if you actually sit down and play it today for the first time- not being able to move and shoot at the same time dates the game incredibly- even if it's designed around that limitation

Status
Not open for further replies.