• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
My goal in life is to be famous enough to show up in fan fics, but to not be famous enough where people care about me enough to ship me with people. I'll just show up as a side character.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't ship people.

Don't do it. It's weird.

Don't be weird.

I've recently heard an argument that 'shipping is good, actually', and that being against shipping is being misogynistic and/or homophobic, because shipping allows people to create some sort of same-sex couple representation, even if it is not what is actually intended by the creator.

I sort of get it, especially with respect to same-sex couples. There aren't enough valid same-sex couples in media, so people create their own in a sort of head-canon. But I also feel people still will take any mundane conversation between two characters as evidence that 'actually these characters totally want to bone', and I also feel like platonic relationships are also valid, you know? Two people can create high levels of mutual trust, care, and respect without it being romantic.

Oct 25, 2017
I've recently heard an argument that 'shipping is good, actually', and that being against shipping is being misogynistic and/or homophobic, because shipping allows people to create some sort of same-sex couple representation, even if it is not what is actually intended by the creator.

I sort of get it, especially with respect to same-sex couples. There aren't enough valid same-sex couples in media, so people create their own in a sort of head-canon. But I also feel people still will take any mundane conversation between two characters as evidence that 'actually these characters totally want to bone', and I also feel like platonic relationships are also valid, you know? Two people can create high levels of mutual trust, care, and respect without it being romantic.

But yeah, shipping is annoying and not really worth discussion. Especially when a story has way more important plot threads going on.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

I think that shipping real life human beings is super fucking weird and creepy, ESPECIALLY when you are putting them into ships that involve different gender identities and orientations. I'm a little more OK with it when we are talking about characters played by real people, but even then it can often feel a bit gross. For example, Don't fucking ship Robert Downey Jr and Tom Holland, but if you want to ship MCU Iron Man and MCU Spider-man, i'm ok with it even if I feel it's a little weird.

For completely fictional characters? Go crazy! They don't have feelings that can be hurt, or family members that can be offended, or anything. I don't think that healthy is the correct word, but if it makes you happy and isn't harming anyone, then its fine

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think that shipping real life human beings is super fucking weird and creepy, ESPECIALLY when you are putting them into ships that involve different gender identities and orientations. I'm a little more OK with it when we are talking about characters played by real people, but even then it can often feel a bit gross. For example, Don't fucking ship Robert Downey Jr and Tom Holland, but if you want to ship MCU Iron Man and MCU Spider-man, i'm ok with it even if I feel it's a little weird.

For completely fictional characters? Go crazy! They don't have feelings that can be hurt, or family members that can be offended, or anything. I don't think that healthy is the correct word, but if it makes you happy and isn't harming anyone, then its fine
I'll admit i missed the part of this conversation where this was about real people. wtf

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My desire is to just turn into one of those spiteful authors who learns about fans shipping certain characters and has them killed off or shipped with someone else entirely that they're not at all good for. Basically I'd be the Game of Thrones guys but I make no claims that I'm not doing it just to fuck with people.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it was posted, but Sentai posted a GoFundMe to help the KyoAni situation:

This is how I feel, especially when it feels as though they're going against who the character actually is. It just feels rather offputting forcing a character into the shape YOU want them to be when it's clearly shown that's not the type of person they are, & this goes for both hetereo & homosexual relationships. Trying to force a person into being the opposite sexuality just doesn't feel right to me. Especially when it's quite clear it's nowhere near the most important plot element in the show.

I have a best friend who I've know for 20 years now. He means a lot to me & he said be basically considers me his brother & an uncle to his son. But of course, to SOME users, they don't see that & are gonna assume differently. He has a wife with a 2nd child on the way, & I want to find a woman who I can potentially start a family with. It's very clear we have a strong, close relationship and there's nothing romantic between the both of us, yet in the eyes to some, because they can't go one show without trying to pair someone up, aren't going to see that.

Does it make sense to want to get into shipping when that's the entire plot of the show, i.e. a rom-com? Of course. But some shows like Soul Eater were great examples of characters of the opposite genders being friends without any hint of it being romantic.

This is a very valid statement as well that I agree with. It feels even more offputting when actual people are part of the conversation, hence my example above.

...my mind's been in "serious overthinking" mode lately considering I came to terms that the girl at work I was trying to befriend clearly has no interest in me & that I can thankfully say I gave it a long enough chance without seeming like I was "quitting." I'm in a weird mood where I still feel motivated to keep trying, yet I just feel tired & disappointed I once again had no luck.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the shipping I see is of the "aw, these two are cute together, I'll draw/write something with them" nature, often repeating characters, showing this isn't about a desire to see one particular pair in the show itself. Ex, I know someone who ships Rarity and Twilight, and separately Rarity and Celestia (from MLP).

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I only ship republican politicians

Mitch McConnel and Paul Ryan embrace themselves in the hall of the senate...

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Shipping is fun and games until some people take it too seriously and threaten the creator(s) of a series and/or other people when their ship don't sail.

I'm looking at you Naruto and Harry Potter fandoms.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Shipping is fun and games until some people take it too seriously and threaten the creator(s) of a series and/or other people when their ship don't sail.

I'm looking at you Naruto and Harry Potter fandoms.
I recall this happened with that Dreamworks Voltron show as well. That kind of behavior is just.....bleh.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
It still makes me laugh that Kishimoto outright admitted to putting in fake hints in Naruto for the sole purpose of trolling shippers.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017

There's certainly some truth to this.

Honestly, shipping on its own is usually fine.

It's what shipping seems to bring out of people that's the issue...

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
BLACK CLOVER CHARACTER OF THE DAY: Gio.

G I O. Not a vampire. Son of the high priest of the underwater temple and their strongest magic user. Defeated almost instantaneously by Vetto.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
One Piece has mostly avoided a major toxic shipping community

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Girls/Women who have shown some measure of interest in Luffy:

Shirahoshi
Margaret
Boa
Rebecca
Reiju

I think that's it, not a ton for twenty years.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Podcast: come listen to us talk about Scooby Doo and Disney movies for half an hour each

Oct 25, 2017
My desire is to just turn into one of those spiteful authors who learns about fans shipping certain characters and has them killed off or shipped with someone else entirely that they're not at all good for. Basically I'd be the Game of Thrones guys but I make no claims that I'm not doing it just to fuck with people.
Don't do that.

That's how you get fans like Annie Wilkes after you.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Gundam the Origin has me going back to watch clips of OG Gundam.

Man, say what you will about M'Quve, but that dude was dedicated.

When most of the other high ranking Zeon members died, they died screaming. M'Quve? He just wanted to make sure Kycilia got that vase.

Status
Not open for further replies.