• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
incoming bullshit answer: it's his potential at that point because he's still young the older he is the higher potential he has because his body gets stronger as he ages

Like Gon when he unlocked his potential he didn't become the stronger version of his current age but to his prime of his life

HANDWAVE or Toriyama
Yea, I always just went with "Unlocking his potential just makes him as strong as he would have been if he kept training." Since if he kept training there's no way in hell Goku or Vegeta could ever pass him.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I think Ultimate actually works like this: Gohan always had problems accessing his full reserve of power I.e. his rage boosts and what elder Kai did was allow him to access that full power reserve any time he wants to at least that's my read of it

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Well, that's the Champa arc done.
Started fun, but got more disinterested as it went on.
Hit is a jabroni and I don't care about him.
As always Beerus (and Champa) remain the highlight for me, may be the only aspect of super I really dig.

Seems like filler is up next. So I'll skip them and say I was caught up.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's the Champa arc done.
Started fun, but got more disinterested as it went on.
Hit is a jabroni and I don't care about him.
As always Beerus (and Champa) remain the highlight for me, may be the only aspect of super I really dig.

Seems like filler is up next. So I'll skip them and say I was caught up.

Super doesn't have filler.

Also, the episodes between arcs in Super are some of the best ones, with the Potaufeu episodes being the only real exception.

Oct 26, 2017
*marks territory* New thread.

Tien was definitely in the original Toonami airing.
I don't think guns were a huge issue, they still showed those assholes shooting the dog. Albeit not as graphically.

It might've been a little worse even (there was the little bit of filler before they shot the dog where they went out hunting people for sport because the world is ending so fuck it).

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 30 years old today. I've been having issues staying up late to watch shows, and this isn't getting any easier with old age

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
yeah they showed the dog getting shot in the original so i don't think mr Satan's piece was gonna be any issue

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the Tomb Raider movie is whenever I see it all I think about is that one brutal death in the reboot.

We all know the gif.

Oct 26, 2017
The problem with the Tomb Raider movie is that I refuse to watch any movie that does the "slow song cover" thing in the trailer.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
i once read one piece from chapter 1 to i wanna say 800 in like a couple of weeks

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Johnathan is the gentleman we all need in our lives

Oct 25, 2017
Heroes > Villains

The hero is more important for a story imo. The Pillar Men are pretty dull, but it doesn't matter, because Joseph is so good.
I'm one of those people that thinks a great story hinges on the villain being good. Berserk wouldn't be Berserk if Griffith was just some random mustache twirling villain going "NYAAAAA!!!" Besides I normally tend to enjoy the villains more. Nothing more entertaining than somebody having fun while doing their villainy.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those people that thinks a great story hinges on the villain being good. Berserk wouldn't be Berserk if Griffith was just some random mustache twirling villain going "NYAAAAA!!!" Besides I normally tend to enjoy the villains more. Nothing more entertaining than somebody having fun while doing their villainy.

To me, especially in arc based series, villains are mainly there to antagonize the heroes. They way the heroes react is what really makes the story. If I don't care about the heroes, I find it difficult to care about the story at all. Villains can be interesting in their own right, but I feel like that's secondary. That goes double for longer series, which swap out their villains as it goes on, but the heroes will be mostly the same cast of characters. I think the heroes basically are the story in those cases.

Oct 25, 2017
To me, especially in arc based series, villains are mainly there to antagonize the heroes. They way the heroes react is what really makes the story. If I don't care about the heroes, I find it difficult to care about the story at all. Villains can be interesting in their own right, but I feel like that's secondary. That goes double for longer series, which swap out their villains as it goes on, but the heroes will be mostly the same cast of characters. I think the heroes basically are the story in those cases.
I guess I just like evil or at the very least non do gooders. I like the occasional hero, but I guess the entirety of the whole thing has to spark my interest these days. As long as each has some depth and can lead to discussion then it's all good.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
who's more effective as a villain Pitou or Iok? i think it's kind of a tie with me, Iok does a far better job of making me hate him and want him to die, but Pitou is more intimidating and fun to watch i think.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
it's hard to generalize but I think a villain is more important to the narrative, but protagonists are more important than the narrative.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
a story lives and dies by its protagonist(s) if the protagonist doesn't draw people in often they just lose interest or they don't engage with the story in the first place i mean do you think that Dragon Ball would be half as successful if Yamcha were the protagonist?

Oct 25, 2017
who's more effective as a villain Pitou or Iok? i think it's kind of a tie with me, Iok does a far better job of making me hate him and want him to die, but Pitou is more intimidating and fun to watch i think.
Pitou isn't a weasly self serving spineless piece of shit.
a story lives and dies by its protagonist(s) if the protagonist doesn't draw people in often they just lose interest or they don't engage with the story in the first place i mean do you think that Dragon Ball would be half as successful if Yamcha were the protagonist?
Imagine Naruto, but with Shikamaru as the main character. It instantly got better didn't it?

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I mean doesn't it depend strongly on how a story is written? It feels like different structures will put different emphasis and importance on the hero vs. the villain. This is to say nothing of the fact that who is the protagonist vs. the antagonist doesn't always match up cleanly with the roles of hero and villain.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Man, grinding for synthesis materials sure is fun!

And by fun I mean it's the most monotonous thing ever.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally, a hero and villain are equally important. But in a long serialized work the heroes should be a tad more dynamic and developed than the villains.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I always appreciate a good villain.

In fact, I think people often enjoy villains more than heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.