• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And that's pretty dumb tbh. Her being the solution to the problem isn't nearly as important as her relationship with Killua and the drama her powers cause for the Zoldyck family.

I agree, but I also agree with those that feel that HxH was really pushing it with the exception made for Killua exclusively after the wish was made

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
well the fact that she happens to conveniently be someone with the ability to heal Gon that Killua happens to have a great relationship with is kinda shonen bullshit, but imma let it slide because their relationship is great
She's more monster from the black lagoon tbh, but I can see it

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chimera Ant is still the goat but I might actually like this arc more than Yorknew. It's definitely the arc I've read/rewatched the most. A lot of that probably has to do with the fact that Killua is the best and seeing him be the best big brother is good for my heart.

Definitely a more engaging protagonist to watch than Kurapika for me

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
And that's pretty dumb tbh. Her being the solution to the problem isn't nearly as important as her relationship with Killua and the drama her powers cause for the Zoldyck family.
I feel her powers are okay because the writing is good enough, but it does feel strangely poorly done how this family member who means more to Killua than anything else just suddenly gets dumped in and he decides to rescue her now when he could have rescued her with the same stunt any time before. Could have at least used Illumi's needle as an excuse.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I feel her powers are okay because the writing is good enough, but it does feel strangely poorly done how this family member who means more to Killua than anything else just suddenly gets dumped in and he decides to rescue her now when he could have rescued her with the same stunt any time before. Could have at least used Illumi's needle as an excuse.

They literally do use Illumi's needle as an excuse lol. The last episode Killua said how could he leave his sister in this condition and he thought it must have been because of the needle.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I do believe HxH may be the best shonen I ever had the pleasure of watching. Kind of early to state it but so far, it isn't disappointing me at all.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, I think taking a swig during commercial breaks of that terrible hour and a half works for me.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My god, I have been very lucky in having favorited tweets by industry folks tonight.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reiner could be more helpful here.
"
1844.jpg
"

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
chimera ant arcs first half is okay, but i would say that it's completely overshadowed by the palace invasion

The election arc is just consistently great from beginning to end

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Next week on Toonami:

11:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 108 - Frieza and Frost! Mingled Malice!
11:30 - My Hero Academia - 47 - All For One
12:00 - The Promised Neverland - 3 - 181045
12:30 - Sword Art Online: Alicization - 13 - Ruler and Mediator
1:00 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable - 33 - July 15th (Thurs), Part 3
1:30 - Black Clover - 67 - A Fun Festival Double Date
2:00 - Boruto: Naruto Next Generations - 28 - Declaration of War
2:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 247 - Target: Nine Tails
3:00 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 140 - Join Battle × and × Open Battle

3:30 - Attack on Titan - 9 - Whereabouts of His Left Arm: The Struggle for Trost, Part 5

Later.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this from the beginning just makes what Annie, Bertholdt, and Reiner do so much more fucked up lol

I was just imagining everyone dying back when they were planning on attacking the titans simultaneously. Then those three would be like "Welp, guess it's safe to transform now lmao"

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I was just imagining everyone dying back when they were planning on attacking the titans simultaneously. Then those three would be like "Welp, guess it's safe to transform now lmao"
"Ah man, I've really treasured this time I spent these past few months with the friends I've made."
"Yo, that wall that wall gotta go down tomorrow. Most likely more than half of them will die in the ensuing battle."
"...Aight. Let's do this shit!"

Sidenote, it only really been a couple months since they graduated(in the anime). Christ anime time.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
We're getting two big fights at the same time in super and MHA....what fortuitous timing

Oct 25, 2017
She is a refreshing shonen protagonist with Ray and Norman for a reason.

Wish we had more female characters like her.
Save 'em all Emma is infuriating and annoying and not refreshing at all. She's no different than luffy or Yuu (owari no serafu) or Eren just with the many things that made them unique, fun, and compelling extracted and the empty shell that remained emodeled into a dull version of themselves.

Her addition of emotion and unrealistic optimism is a distraction which hurts the story. If she were rethought and redesigned to being more reserved, mellow, then she could be alright.

Dec 28, 2018
Save 'em all Emma is infuriating and annoying and not refreshing at all. She's no different than luffy or Yuu (owari no serafu) or Eren just with the many things that made them unique, fun, and compelling extracted and the empty shell that remained emodeled into a dull version of themselves.

Her addition of emotion and unrealistic optimism is a distraction which hurts the story. If she were rethought and redesigned to being more reserved, mellow, then she could be alright.
I know I said I'd never bother talking about Emma with you again but I guess I just can't help myself. It's Funny how you take issue with Emma being optimistic and yet stan super duper hard for Asta who's also very optimistic and don't ever criticize him for it. Me thinks that the reason for this is because you are just a sexist pile of shit that happens to resemble a human being. Because I fucking guarantee that if Asta was a girl a lot of the stuff you previously praised him for would instead be criticisms. You are so damn transparent you sexist wanker.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I know I said I'd never bother talking about Emma with you again but I guess I just can't help myself. It's Funny how you take issue with Emma being optimistic and yet stan super duper hard for Asta who's also very optimistic and don't ever criticize him for it. Me thinks that the reason for this is because you are just a sexist pile of shit that happens to resemble a human being. Because I fucking guarantee that if Asta was a girl a lot of the stuff you previously praised him for would instead be criticisms. You are so damn transparent you sexist wanker.
Asta is totally different and has things going for him that makes him charming and easy to cheer for. Hes been cheated at life in so many ways, his disability for one that makes him work harder than anyone else yet still makes him incapable of the basic things magic users can do, grew up orphaned and in poverty, isnt that smart, and is reckless to the point he'd probably kill himself while trying to go beyond his limits. He also has to battle the constant sadness that is always lurking there in his mind that brought him at times close to giving up.

It's not sexist to dislike Emma when there are valid reasons why her character just doesnt work. Compared to Asta, Emma is like top of the list for the greatest in the series in terms of smartness, physical performance, and the cards she was dealt in life such as being blessed with everything, and written in a way that makes her outshine everyone. She essentially has no flaws. She knows or hasn't been through any sort of adversity unlike Asta. It's impossible to cheer for someone like her when theres nothing there to relate with. And this raised in a perfect environment gives her a view and mentality that is just terribly unrealistic and zany to believe and unrelatable.

Other femchars in the series are satisfactory and at times worth commending.

Last edited:

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
DTL with the nuclear hot takes i see,

Emma's super empathetic and emotional character is actually portrayed as both her biggest strength and biggest weakness, but of course DTL wouldn't tell you that.

I also like how DTL says that Emma isn't very good, but praises Sakura as one of the best shonen heroines. Could it be because she only exists for Sasuke? Maybe I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.