• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Toonami |MarApr19| Will you say my name, one last time?

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
know what's a masterpieceofshit? shield hero

"THANKS TO YOU, HERO, THE SLAVE BUSINESS IS BOOMING!"
Of course, Jacob is getting a flood of "But Naofumi had no choice buy to buy a slave" and as someone who has watched several episodes, I'm going to dispell that counter-argument.

There is a very limited window that you could argue it was an "in-universe" necessary evil, but eventually Naofumi straight up gets called out on being a slave owner and through a rigged duel, he's forced to release his slave Raphtalia. Raphtalia then proceeds to argue how she's actually happy to be Naofumi's slave, and the people most invested in freeing her are portrayed as being self righteous.

Despite her being clearly in love with him, and he no longer even needing to have her as a slave, since she'd clearly remain his party member regardless, she chooses to become his slave again. And then he buys another slave on top of that who, surprise surprise becomes another waifu.

So yeah, the show starts to fucking indulge in that shit.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of isekai depicting slavery as a positive is hardly a new trend. Shit, I remember reading about a couple that had underage slave harems as part of it. So I have kinda hard time believing that Shield Hero is worse than that.The big difference with Shield Hero is that for God knows what reason it's actually popular and thus talked about.

Either way, I ain't watching it. Isekai garbage is my least favorite genre of anime by a wide margin, especially if it handles sensitive topics poorly like so many do. I'm currently tolerating SAO because of the insane ammount of fuckery, but if not for that, I'd have already tuned out.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, Jacob is getting a flood of "But Naofumi had no choice buy to buy a slave" and as someone who has watched several episodes, I'm going to dispell that counter-argument.

There is a very limited window that you could argue it was an "in-universe" necessary evil, but eventually Naofumi straight up gets called out on being a slave owner and through a rigged duel, he's forced to release his slave Raphtalia. Raphtalia then proceeds to argue how she's actually happy to be Naofumi's slave, and the people most invested in freeing her are portrayed as being self righteous.

Despite her being clearly in love with him, and he no longer even needing to have her as a slave, since she'd clearly remain his party member regardless, she chooses to become his slave again. And then he buys another slave on top of that who, surprise surprise becomes another waifu.

So yeah, the show starts to fucking indulge in that shit.
"Couldn't you just free her and just keep her as a servant or assistant"

"Hmm good point let me just ignore that"

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of isekai depicting slavery as a positive is hardly a new trend. Shit, I remember reading about a couple that had underage slave harems as part of it. So I have kinda hard time believing Shield Hero being worse than that.
Master of Ragnarock was one of them, & the hero clearly had the power, both physically & politically (from what I've heard) to stop it, but he just buys a mother & her....clearly-not-legal year old daughter because "he'll be nicer to them compared to someone else" and they get added to the harem because it needed more variety to fulfill different fetishes.

Oct 25, 2017
As boring and Mary sueish as Kirito is at least he isn't a trash fire of a person that the story is trying to make us root for
You know this genre is a dumpster fire when Sword Art Online is one of the "good ones".

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is the best Isekai. Prove me wrong.
Well, one could consider the original Land of Oz books an Isekai series.

Oct 25, 2017
I have never watched an Isekai and probably never will.
You probably have and just didn't realize it. Isekai just means "another world", so any series that involves the hero being transported to another world can be considered and Isekai. The Wizard of Oz, Samurai Jack, Alice in Wonderland, The Chronicles of Narnia

Oct 25, 2017
You probably have and just didn't realize it. Isekai just means "another world", so any series that involves the hero being transported to another world can be considered and Isekai. The Wizard of Oz, Samurai Jack, Alice in Wonderland, The Chronicles of Narnia
Honestly, this argument is starting to annoy me as much as "lol Tom and Jerry is technically an anime too".

Oct 25, 2017
Fine I have never watched any of the shitty Isekai's.

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Lots of isekai depicting slavery as a positive is hardly a new trend. Shit, I remember reading about a couple that had underage slave harems as part of it. So I have kinda hard time believing that Shield Hero is worse than that.The big difference with Shield Hero is that for God knows what reason it's actually popular and thus talked about.
Master of Ragnarock was one of them, & the hero clearly had the power, both physically & politically (from what I've heard) to stop it, but he just buys a mother & her....clearly-not-legal year old daughter because "he'll be nicer to them compared to someone else" and they get added to the harem because it needed more variety to fulfill different fetishes.

I think what seperates Shield Hero from most other shows is it goes out of the way to acknowledge the actual negative connotations of slavery and then proceeds to double down on the indulgence.

It actually goes into "The White Man's Burden-esque" justification for why it's okay for Naofumi to own his slaves.

Oct 25, 2017
For the all the shit you can give Kishimoto I'll at least that he's at least doesn't sexualize his younger characters. The fucking state of anime when that's something I can give someone credit for.

Oct 25, 2017
For the all the shit you can give Kishimoto I'll at least that he's at least doesn't sexualize his younger characters. The fucking state of anime when that's something I can give someone credit for.
It's a lot more noticeable in the Boruto manga how tame Kishimoto draws his young female characters compared to the new guy

Oct 25, 2017
DMCV starts with an over the top cheesy badass demon slaying montage.

message pops up: 'this game does not endorse smoking or encourage the use of cigarettes.'

I like the cut of this game's jib

Oct 25, 2017
I really like what DMCV is good at but the things it is not good at are rather glaring by comparison. The levels for example are generally just arena's with the paths connecting them and most are pretty lackluster looking overall.

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely lacking in the variety department but visuals are never something I'd knock the game for
The levels are made of good quality assets, its just that the art design doesn't always match and the actual level design leaves a lot to be desired. I also found myself getting turned around a lot and not realizing it until I wasted a minute running in the wrong direction. The elements that are lacking often become more obvious when you see them taking the time to animated distinct and unique mini movies for every time Nico drives the van to you.