• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Big point of this arc is to like, not abuse her powers
Killua still had Illumi's needle so he couldn't even if he wanted to.

Plus like the whole point of this arc is that abusing her power is bad, so lol

The start of this arc began with "Using Alluka's powers can enact a huge cost, proportional to the wish. It's not a get out of jail-free card and honestly better to not use at all!" That squarely makes it NOT a Deus ex Machina. By the end we learn "Alluka can heal anyone for free and if Killua orders it, she can just do whatever she wants for free." That is a Deus ex Machina and thus begs the question of "why didn't Killua just solve the Chimera Ant Arc so that nobody had to die or suffer"? A good point was made about Illumi's needle but like Killua removes it pretty early in the Chimera Ant arc. Kite and a few others would still be screwed but like everybody else? A lot of legit suffering could have been averted and it's just weird the option wasn't used. I don't think it would have been abusive to use Alluka in that context.

FWIW, obviously the Chimera Ant Arc is better for not just getting "solved" but it does beg the narrative question of if the Killua had this secret weapon all along, why was it never used. If you're just going to say "Togashi didn't think of Alluka until after/most of the way through the Chimera Ant arc", that not a satisfying answer!

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
the answer to the question of why Killua didn't ask Alluka to solve everything is....even hunter x hunter isn't completely immune to shonen bullshit

Oct 26, 2017
One of the decisions Araki made with DiU that I love is how it's still personal and tense despite being low-stakes.
Going smaller in scale with a murderer in a small town in Japan was a really smart move.
DIO was every megalomaniacal shonen villain in terms of his endgame, but Kira was someone who was the opposite of DIO in terms of ambition. He didn't want attention, glory, or to rule anything. He just wanted to secretly kill people in peace and quiet, kinda like most serial killers.
If Kira had won in the end, the world would have kept on spinning. This made DiU more real and relatable as a whodunit murder mystery with some punch ghosts.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly, Gon getting magically fixed after turning in to a hollowed out husk takes some of the emotional weight out of it. He should have stayed that way and have the story move its focus on to the other characters

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
DisastrousInfatuatedCoyote-size_restricted.gif

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Saw HxH....I think I'm gonna wait for the podcast to bring up the two things I couldn't help but question about the scene, but at the same time, it still delivered with the emotions.

But before I go, just wanna say it was super fun rewatching Part 4 with the dub & getting to experience it with you guys, especially for the first time viewers. I was suppose to post that last night before I left, but for some reason, it didn't go through.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Bring Keanu back on stage!

He doesn't need to do anything.

Just wanna see him.

Also I keep forgetting Psychonauts 2 is happening.

Oct 25, 2017
So my ISP decided to shit itself when the conference was happening. I missed most of it.
From what i'm reading, it sounds like I didn't miss that much. Only major surprise was PSO2.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Keanu alone makes it a B+. Cyberpunk is coming a lot sooner that I expected. I can't wait for Outer Worlds since New Vegas is in my top 5 games of all time. I like the artstyle they went with Battletoads but its looking pretty choppy in places. Microsoft is totally lost as to how to market Gears of War in 2019. The last Halo really soured me so it's gonna take a lot to make me excited for a new one. I really needed to see some gameplay for Elden Ring. The Tales series looks like it's gotten a major glow up after getting rid of that deadbeat Hideo Baba. And it looks like we are getting ANOTHER DBZ game detailing the Saiyan/Namek arc.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I thought it was an okay conference. Biggest takeaway point for me was how committed they are to Gamepass and the Double Fine acquisition.

So many of the games they showed off though are going to wind up being Multiplatform it's hard to get blown away, especially since the only exclusive they really showed off gameplay for was that Ninja Theory game.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
That felt like the exact same reasons Sony decided not to come also existed for Microsoft, but they decided to come anyway.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I can't shit on this too hard-the PSO stuff is significantly more of a shock than if Miyamoto showed up
It's just that they had...nothing new

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly I think that Microsoft doesn't care if you buy an Xbox or not. They have been doing a lot of work in putting their games on other platforms and getting people that don't even own an Xbox get accounts. In a couple of years the Xbox is just gonna be an app you download.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think that Microsoft doesn't care if you buy an Xbox or not. They have been doing a lot of work in putting their games on other platforms and getting people that don't even own an Xbox get accounts. In a couple of years the Xbox is just gonna be an app you download.

That makes sense. They've been busy building partnerships with Sony and Nintendo on various projects.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
So was Miyamoto being at the MS conference all a big lie?

Status
Not open for further replies.