• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
random

Billy Kametz has been doing a pretty good job as Josuke. Now I don't know what Josuke sounds like natively, so I'm not qualifying how well he mimics the seiyuu, but in a vacuum, it seems to be well done. Nice to have a fresh blood lead role like that.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest problem with Jim Jam lately is not enough people making fun of his hair. This bit is getting criminally underused.

Oct 25, 2017
JoJo DiU is pretty good for the most part. Guess you gotta get use the voices. That Okuyasu sounded weird at first but he was pretty good in Italian Restaurants episode

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Okuyasu is ok but it definitely doesn't live up to Wataru Takagi. I still kinda wish they got Ben Diskin since he does a great job as Knuckle (who was also another Wataru Takagi role and pretty much the same character lol)

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I somehow never put together that Knuckle was Diskin..

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
If Knuckle had the hand he would solo the chimera ant arc

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Naruto Shippuden is only a few days late from a good ass halloween episode. Jim Jam was a few days early.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I've just gotten used to Okuyasu's VA or if he's been improving, but I am definitely enjoying his performance more than when he started.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought he was good in the previous episode.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I finished listening to this week's podcast - I'm surprised anyone could hate this episode of Jojo or fault it for having no real villain. First time I came across that opinion but hey to each their own. (I know CKOHLER later recanted, I'm just talking about the podcast).

Oct 25, 2017
random

Billy Kametz has been doing a pretty good job as Josuke. Now I don't know what Josuke sounds like natively, so I'm not qualifying how well he mimics the seiyuu, but in a vacuum, it seems to be well done. Nice to have a fresh blood lead role like that.
Billy's doing a fine job, I'm not really complaining...my only complaint was that I couldn't continue being sustained by 1 ep a week of DiU so I just rewatched it in Japanese...it's so good.

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, everyone. I failed No Nut November.

0002900001986_A

These are soooooooooooooooooooo good

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
random

It seems to fit perfectly

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally trying that One Piece PSVR thing. It feels....REALLY weird to have these anime style characters up close to you, especially when they just stare straight at you. Also holy crap, they expect you to replay the non-skippable stuff a TON of times to "100%" the game, i.e. trophies & seeing all 9 final cutscenes, one for each character. Glad I waited on a sale, this is neat, but not $10 neat.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I finished listening to this week's podcast - I'm surprised anyone could hate this episode of Jojo or fault it for having no real villain. First time I came across that opinion but hey to each their own. (I know CKOHLER later recanted, I'm just talking about the podcast).

My main issue wasn't so much that there was no villain. It was the misleading way they wanted us to think he was a villain.

If you're introducing a character who's motives are ambiguous and their behavior changes depending on if they are being seen by the protagonists, then that's an obvious red flag to the viewer because as the viewers we are privvy to inside information. However, when Josuke finally does go into the kitchen they even go as far as to show us what Josuke THINKS he saw (a brick) when it was in fact just a bar of soap. So, who am I to believe? The opening scene even has this character cutting up guts before Josuke arrives and every time he's serving food he makes no effort to explain anything about what's happening. It's shady as shit but only because we as viewers see things Josuke can not. To then turn around and act like what we saw was "just a misunderstanding" is frustrating because it was the show itself that fooled us by misusing a common storytelling device.

Again, I think the episode is funny and fun but betraying the viewer like that just rubbed me the wrong way. I hope that makes sense.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I've always kinda thought of JoJo as logic-less fun. Some of the best popcorn TV ever made (IMO) but not much aside from that.

If it were a more serious/less crazy show I'd definitely complain more about plot threads that don't make much sense, overly eccentric characterization and the like. But with JoJo it doesn't really bother me because the whole thing is, well, Bizarre.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
My main issue wasn't so much that there was no villain. It was the misleading way they wanted us to think he was a villain.

If you're introducing a character who's motives are ambiguous and their behavior changes depending on if they are being seen by the protagonists, then that's an obvious red flag to the viewer because as the viewers we are privvy to inside information. However, when Josuke finally does go into the kitchen they even go as far as to show us what Josuke THINKS he saw (a brick) when it was in fact just a bar of soap. So, who am I to believe? The opening scene even has this character cutting up guts before Josuke arrives and every time he's serving food he makes no effort to explain anything about what's happening. It's shady as shit but only because we as viewers see things Josuke can not. To then turn around and act like what we saw was "just a misunderstanding" is frustrating because it was the show itself that fooled us by misusing a common storytelling device.

Again, I think the episode is funny and fun but betraying the viewer like that just rubbed me the wrong way. I hope that makes sense.
Funny, I had the opposite reaction to the episode. I thought it was a fantastic twist and a nice bit of world building that we desperately needed to happen lol

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
There had been what, 50 episodes in a row of some random stranger with magic powers being the bad guy or a good guy mind controlled? This was needed as all hell. Even the two or three comedy episodes in Stardust Crusaders had a bad hombre with magic powers trying to murk them.

Oct 26, 2017

I meaaaan, he's a chef. He was probably cutting up guts from pigs/chicken/fish/etc. Or it was meat bits that looked like guts.

Toni also doesn't know that Josuke and Okuyasu were Stand users so I can buy that he wouldn't tell them about his power.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I meaaaan, he's a chef. He was probably cutting up guts from pigs/chicken/fish/etc. Or it was meat bits that looked like guts.
Good point (aside from maybe the ominous music).
Toni also doesn't know that Josuke and Okuyasu were Stand users so I can buy that he wouldn't tell them about his power.
A simple "By the way, your guts are going to explode out of you briefly after you eat this" might have been nice. :D

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I don't get the confusion. He's supposed to look menacing only for him to be a good guy all along. That's the punchline.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
What would Polnareff's life even be like after part 3? I can't imagine him having a day job.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I keep trying to find the right time to use this image from Lupin V, but I keep forgetting.

Dm3-TVVUw-AACvdm.jpg

It's very frustrating guys.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder how well Neji would've held up against Lee using the gates during the chunin exams

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder how well Neji would've held up against Lee using the gates during the chunin exams
Neji has no counter against that and honestly would have been overkill

He needed to use it against Gaara because his sand shield was too fast and iirc strong Neji just has the 360 vision but how useful is that if your opponent is too fast

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Neji has no counter against that and honestly would have been overkill

He needed to use it against Gaara because his sand shield was too fast and iirc strong Neji just has the 360 vision but how useful is that if your opponent is too fast
the question would be can lee get enough hits in on neji before he could shut down his chakra without using the gates, which i don't think he could, in which case the question would be could Lee break Neji's defense while using the gates before they wear him down too much

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Neji lost to some lame shit against Naruto. Gate Lee would destroy.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Tonight we will all have to hold firm as the Mob Psycho 100 opening gets cut.

In time, the pain will pass.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure where that Twitter account gets their info but they are usually correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.