• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, did he actually say that? Then why the fuck did they not cut it from the show?

Actually, why they fuck did they not cut it from the show altogether?

Since we're back on the topic, apparently the author made a statement about his writing....

"Kawahara comments that the reason why SAO uses THAT plot element this frequently is because such a plot element was used in no small number in the light novels, romance and adventure stories he had read in his mid-high school days. He gave 黄金拍車 [late '80s fantasy light novel] as a typical example of this. Kawahara has also said that he has been able to escape the curse of THAT plot element and believes he currently manages to induce catharsis through other means. While he would write the scene if it was absolutely necessary, he'd save it for a different genre of books than LNs."

I've also heard that Kawahara actually publicly apologized to the voice actress on Twitter over the scene in question. As terrible at it is that the plot element in question has kept re-appearing in the series, at least the author acknowledges he needs to stop using it so often & felt bad for the VA for having to deal with said scene. It doesn't make those scenes any better, but hopefully this means he understands not to try & shove it into every damn arc.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Author: Yeah I shouldn't have done that sorry
"buh dat's the author's CURRENT vision, dat's different"

Wait, did he actually say that? Then why the fuck did they not cut it from the show?

Actually, why they fuck did they not cut it from the show altogether?
There was apparently a statement, which I posted earlier (see above post since someone beat me to it). I've also been hearing that he actually apologized publicly to the voice actress on Twitter for having to do the scene, so it sounds like he recognizes his faults in handing such a plot element.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Then why not rewrite the scene for the anime? He keeps doing it, apparently recognizes he's wrong, but then does nothing about it? Bruh, just do a quick rewrite for the anime. Make it a torture scene or an attempted murder scene. It's not hard to redo for the anime team.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
The source material for the current SAO arc was written like over ten years ago, I think. I'm pretty sure the author apologized and stopped writing that sort of thing altogether in his books.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
In the end, it's still A-1's choice to adapt it the way they did. They could have changed or removed the scene if they wanted to.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The source material for the current SAO arc was written like over ten years ago, I think. I'm pretty sure the author apologized and stopped writing that sort of thing altogether in his books.
Just spend the 5 minutes to go back and come up with a scene for the anime team to replace the old one with. Make it a murder instead of a rape. He could have put his foot down and said, "No, I was a hack at the time and it needs to be changed." Yeah, he says he feels bad but he's still making money off it and not doing anything about it. Talk is cheap. He doesn't even need to write it himself, let the production team do it.

This is also me being super annoyed at the anime team for not doing this themselves. This is exactly the sort of thing that gets adjusted in adaptations all the time! There's no excuse for this.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the production committee thinks this type of scene gets people in the door.

Oct 26, 2017
Now my question is how would an extended torture or detailed murder scene be considered a lesser offense than rape (assuming the victims are the same two girls)?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
buh guuuyyyssss, you're SUPPOSE to not like it, cuz they're da villains, that's the entire point, to maek you feel disgust for the bad guys doing bad things to the good people

..............*sigh* Feels like I've heard every excuse after years of being online.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Using a rape scene as extra incentive to hate the bad guy is just tacky and unnecessary. If you're going to inflict extreme trauma on a character without any intention of following up on the emotional ramifications such an act would incur then don't even bother.

Oct 26, 2017
If it's attempted murder vs what we already got? Yeah, they'd really have to try if they wanted to make it worse.

Nah, I meant like a straight up historical William Wallace-type murder-torture.

He was forced to remove all of his clothing and tied to horses, which dragged him approximately six miles away to Smoothfield.

While the horses were pulling him, bystanders threw garbage, excrement, and other objects at Wallace as he made the journey to the gallows. They also hit him with sticks and whips.

[Once Wallace was secured, his executioner sliced off both his penis and testicles (called "emasculation"). Then, the executioner removed his intestines (known as "disembowelment" or "evisceration") and burned them, making sure Wallace witnessed the act. He was disemboweled for sacrilege.

If Wallace somehow managed to survive having his heart torn from his chest, he certainly didn't make it through what came next. The executioner cut off his head, thereby sealing his fate.

After Wallace was beheaded, he was quartered, which entails all four limbs being tied to separate horses, which then pull apart the body. Afterwards, Wallace's quartered remains were put on display around London as a warning. A piece each was hung at Berwick, St. Johnston, Stirling, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Idk, I need professional help.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
America: "We also can only make live-action versions of cartoons if we only spend like 5% of the movie on said cartoon character the movie is named after & the rest is spend on boring human characters who had nothing to do with source material"

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
My first thought when I saw that the MHW expansion was ice themed: 'Jade Barroth hype!'

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to remember if the newest Pokemon movie is the first time they've ever shown a Pokemon dying on screen. (It's a flashback, but still.)

I wanna say it is, if we don't count the knockoff Groudon that eats it in the Jirachi movie.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I think in previous films the Pokemon have all died and disappeared into light, while in the newest movie a Snubbull dies due to an explosion. You see it consumed by the flames.

The new movie is great by the way. If you like Pokemon, it's worth watching.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
A genos game would consist of you doing well the first 30 seconds of a fight before getting completely destroyed

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any Pokemon that gained more from getting an evolution than Tangela?

250px-114Tangela.png

No one cared about Tangela.

Tangrowth tho.

250px-465Tangrowth.png

Fun name. Good stats. Looks like he's ready to smack some fools.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any Pokemon that gained more from getting an evolution than Tangela?

250px-114Tangela.png

No one cared about Tangela.

Tangrowth tho.

250px-465Tangrowth.png

Fun name. Good stats. Looks like he's ready to smack some fools.
Golbat. Just look at him.
042Golbat.png

I don't think I need to explain. On the other side, you have this majestic beast.
169Crobat.png

By the way, this guy? Faster than most legendaries.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I beat World of Light on Hard today. I thought I only spent another two hours on the boss...I spent six...plus maybe another two earlier and later in the day on the subbosses. I still don't have 100% so I wonder if I missed a fight or two.

Oct 25, 2017
Gon went over to the assassin mansion of a kid he just met a few days ago, and got beaten with a stick just so he could pop in and see how he was doing. It's very in character for Gon to be freaking out like this over Kite

Oct 25, 2017
Gon went over to the assassin mansion of a kid he just met a few days ago, and got beaten with a stick just so he could pop in and see how he was doing. It's very in character for Gon to be freaking out like this over Kite
Pretty much this. Gon wanted to be best friends with a fucking serial killer after level grinding on him for a few weeks. Gon befriended a grifter, Gon befriended prototype effeminate Sasuke. Gon isn't right in the head and has never been. So him going full bat shit over the death of his fathers protege, his only link to his father and the one that spurred him onto going on his journey into becoming a Hunter makes perfect sense. If a person ever looks at Gon's actions through the lens of sane logic then they're looking at him the wrong way. Gon has consistent logic, it's just fucked up to rational people.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017

Left Alive looks like those weird not quite triple A games that disappeared last gen.

Golbat. Just look at him.

I don't think I need to explain. On the other side, you have this majestic beast.

By the way, this guy? Faster than most legendaries.

Yeah, it's probably this actually.

Boy I'm enjoying not fighting 1000 Zubat in Let's go.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Debating whether or not to buy tickets to the new Super movie now.

I wanna see it, don't get me wrong, but I'm worried something might come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.