• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
MGS 1 was a masterpiece. An American action movie with a bit of weird Japaneseness come to life. A sequel to a beloved classic completely revamped for the multimedia era with a banging soundtrack, fully voiced dialogue, interesting action cutscenes. Short and sweet and to the point and fun to replay.

MGS 2 was a different sort of masterpiece. Still an action movie but instead of a B movie budget this thing went all out. Remember that most games with good framerates the generation before was something at a fairly stable low 20's, and MGS2 demo comes out at a rock solid 60 FPS looking that good. The best part of the game is that demo as there are some flaws to the second half of the game, the boss fights are a bit lame, the big shell is kinda samey and the plot is as revolutionary in its ideas of the future (some of which did come to pass) as it is up its own ass.

MGS 3 is the perfect marriage of the first two games. It tells an interesting story, looks great while doing it, and is wall to wall action with fun fights throughout. One of the best games ever made if still weird in its Kojimaness. I mean it also has one of the best characters ever written for a video game in the boss, which is tragic considering the rest of the series treatment of women.

MGS 4, as I've said many times in the past, is the biggest disappointment of my video game life. I think its a complete and utter failure on all fronts and showed that Kojima without an editor sucks. It didn't even look that good with everything so plasticy and brown, the fights are a joke and it basically ruins any and all goodwill I had towards the series, scaring me off pretty much for good on the rest of his works.

Death Stranding from all the previews shows that we just don't see eye to eye anymore, and that's said. I like chore sims. I like avant garde nonsense, and wacky stuff he included in previous games didn't really bug me, but the reviews for the game show the ultimate emperor's new clothing approach to it. The hype is there and with Kojima making a PS4 exclusive the sales will be there as well, but i for sure won't be.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It's a sony first party title though so if you wait about six months it'll be 20 bucks or less.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
jXeojFA.gif

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems a lot of us are either not interested in Death Standing, or on the fence.

I'm on the fence personally, because while I find the disempowerment aspects of DS kinda interesting, I have so many other options for entertainment right now.

Also Pokemon comes out in just over a week.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
With a Bee Tommy Gun. And Bee Grenades. And he twirls. And the game explains jack shit about him unless you make a bunch of codec calls right after fighting him.

That's the beauty of MGS3. Want to fight some weirdos with almost no context whatsoever? You can. Want to learn everything about them including their shoe size and what they had for lunch yesterday? Call up your homies and they'll dish.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
So curious about something.

How many people here are gonna pick up Death Stranding day 1?
I would have just because I've spent too many years being curious, but as fate turns out I'm getting on a plane and won't be back until after Jedi: Fallen Order comes out, so it's probably going to be a while before I play Death Stranding.

Speaking of, I will (probably) not be around for the next two weeks of Toonami.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
On this week's exciting all-new episode of Black Clover: In a world where magic is everything, Yami comes across the final moments of Julius Novochrono's life which has been taken from him by the now revealed Licht who inhabited the body of Yami's friend and rival, Griffith William Vengeance. How will the rest of the magical Clover Kingdom react including Asta, a young boy born without the use of magic powers?

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
The only Kojima game I've ever been interested in is MGS3

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
So curious about something.

How many people here are gonna pick up Death Stranding day 1?
Probably not day 1, but I will get it somewhere down the line. I just gotta know. One of my friends is getting the collector's edition, complete with his very own bridge baby, so there's that.

Hard pass for me, if I get the game it'll need to be as a gift or massively on sale.
After what I just heard, I'm like "Nah, I'm good."
I have never played a Kojima game and I'm not interested in starting now
I had no interest to begin with
Nope, gameplay sounds and looks too boring for me. I can't wait to see others experience with the game though.
Eh...

Not really interested.
I doubt I get it ever :P
Kojima's writing makes me break out in hives so that is a day never from me.
3142007-oivgqra.gif

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Like, I heard about the baby stuff and am like, "What are you even smoking Kojima?"

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
do threads that start with 'let's settle this' ever actually settle anything?

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh crap, wasn't that contest thing to win a FLCL vinyl yesterday? Wonder how you were able to enter.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Death stranding may have interested me at one point but with pokemon threatening to swallow my soul in little over a week I am pretty good.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding is actually interesting to me but honestly I remember not liking Red Dead 2 because of certain game design decisions that made the game a pain to control

Oct 25, 2017
Now I can't wait to see Demon Slayer bloopers.

Also obligatory "omg Cautious Hero is hilarious, pls come to Toonami" post. I did a legit spit take watching the 3rd episode at one point, I can't remember the last time a show was so funny, it resulted in that. Feels so nice to have a good laugh after a crappy start to the month.
Its fun but I wish the lead had more personality. Though I ike the concept but as an anime and as a novel reader. Funi dub really makes the anime shine.

OP/ED are also great.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Its weird to think that it might be God of War but I've kind of fallen off on playing nearly as many games as I used to. I've barely touched some of the bigger titles in the last few years and I've pretty much fallen off completely with MP focused games.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
For me it's like a five-way tie between Bloodborne, Hollow Knight, Nier Automata, Breath of the Wild and Undertale. I'm too weak to decide between them.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the genre. DJMax Respect might be one of the best music games I've played & is supported with tons of DLC. Nier Automata certainly is up there due to its action & story. Super Mario Odyssey was super fun and it's a shame we never got DLC worlds. Tetris Effect might be the best version of the game, tied with Puyo Puyo Tetris. If Persona 5 had a story on par with P4, it probably would've been one of my favorite RPGs with how much they improved the battle mechanics.

I'd have to sit down & really think about it. Guess it really boils down to "which do I feel the most motivated to go back & replay" considering my tendency to focus mainly on playing as many games as I can.

I also acknowledge my gaming tastes are rather different as I don't tend to play a ton of AAA titles. I don't have interest in RDR2, Destiny, Call of Duty, Fallout, Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, God of War, Uncharted, and a lot of others that I'm forgetting. Breath of the Wild might be one of my biggest disappointments, but more "I understand why it's so beloved & I used to have that same feeling, but the magic wore off and now I have no desire to ever return to the game despite only beating 1 dungeon & like 40+ shrines"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.