• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Arthur couldn't beat that one talking infernal because he forgot he was right handed?

Arthur is great y'all.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Some of the best exploration in any game I've played. Really anxious to see how BotW 2 turns out. I just hope Nintendo doesn't overcorrect on some of the flaws of the original.

Its weird to think that it might be God of War but I've kind of fallen off on playing nearly as many games as I used to. I've barely touched some of the bigger titles in the last few years and I've pretty much fallen off completely with MP focused games.
God of War was really fun for me. The Leviathan Axe may be one of my favorite weapons in any game I've played, and I thought the art direction in that game was downright stunning.

Depends on the genre. DJMax Respect might be one of the best music games I've played & is supported with tons of DLC. Nier Automata certainly is up there due to its action & story. Super Mario Odyssey was super fun and it's a shame we never got DLC worlds. Tetris Effect might be the best version of the game, tied with Puyo Puyo Tetris. If Persona 5 had a story on par with P4, it probably would've been one of my favorite RPGs with how much they improved the battle mechanics.

I'd have to sit down & really think about it. Guess it really boils down to "which do I feel the most motivated to go back & replay" considering my tendency to focus mainly on playing as many games as I can.

I also acknowledge my gaming tastes are rather different as I don't tend to play a ton of AAA titles. I don't have interest in RDR2, Destiny, Call of Duty, Fallout, Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, God of War, Uncharted, and a lot of others that I'm forgetting. Breath of the Wild might be one of my biggest disappointments, but more "I understand why it's so beloved & I used to have that same feeling, but the magic wore off and now I have no desire to ever return to the game despite only beating 1 dungeon & like 40+ shrines"
Have you played any of the Yakuza games by chance? I'm slowly working my way through 0 and I love pretty much everything about it.

idk
I will go with Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest in Itadaki Street special because i can :P
Is that Fortune Street? I've heard of it but I've never really considered trying it out. I do really like Final Fantasy though! I still really need to get into XIV at some point. That Nier raid is reallly tempting.

Horizon Zero Dawn and Bloodborne.
Bloodborne is a game that feels like it was made for me. Kinda hard for me to put into words how much I love that game. I still need to play Horizon Zero Dawn.

N i e r

A u t o m a t a

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Have you played any of the Yakuza games by chance? I'm slowly working my way through 0 and I love pretty much everything about it.
Yup, actually got Yakuza 0 during Black Friday 2017 & have now played 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 5 via PS+ that was sitting on my PS3 for years, 6, Fist of the North Star, and Judgment. I'll play 3 & 4 via the HD collection in a few months. Since it's hard to pinpoint an exact game (aside from 0 & Judgment), I'd say the entire franchise considering you can play every single game in the series on the PS4. Heck, I played like 5 Yakuza games within the span of a year, that's how much 0 did a good job of making me realize I should've gotten into the series sooner.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Yup, actually got Yakuza 0 during Black Friday 2017 & have now played 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 5 via PS+ that was sitting on my PS3 for years, 6, Fist of the North Star, and Judgment. I'll play 3 & 4 via the HD collection in a few months. Since it's hard to pinpoint an exact game (aside from 0 & Judgment), I'd say the entire franchise considering you can play every single game in the series on the PS4. Heck, I played like 5 Yakuza games within the span of a year, that's how much 0 did a good job of making me realize I should've gotten into the series sooner.
That may be too much Yakuza lol. I actually kinda burned myself out on 0 earlier this year by doing nothing but the Real Estate side game and not progressing the story any. I'm just now getting back into it. I hear Majima has a similar side game with the Cabaret Club.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

407.gif

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I'm out of the Pokemon circuit. Best move is not to play.
Find other games. Give something similar a shot. Like Dragon Quest or Shin Megami Tensei.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the best exploration in any game I've played. Really anxious to see how BotW 2 turns out. I just hope Nintendo doesn't overcorrect on some of the flaws of the original.

God of War was really fun for me. The Leviathan Axe may be one of my favorite weapons in any game I've played, and I thought the art direction in that game was downright stunning.

Is that Fortune Street? I've heard of it but I've never really considered trying it out. I do really like Final Fantasy though! I still really need to get into XIV at some point. That Nier raid is reallly tempting.

Bloodborne is a game that feels like it was made for me. Kinda hard for me to put into words how much I love that game. I still need to play Horizon Zero Dawn.

yeah it's the playstation line of fortune street. The ps2 version is the best one so far as it includes a sphere mode which changes things but the ps4 version is fine. the ps4 version doesn't have any translation while the ps2 version has a fan translation

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe in something being announced too early. It's always better to know about something coming. Atlus is also always late to the party. In the last two generations they've made exactly two console RPGs. Persona 5 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. P3 was a late release on the PS2 and P4 was after the PS3 had been released for two years.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Oh jeez, I just saw what happened to this week's podcast :(

Sorry dudes. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

The "recap" was pretty funny in its own way though.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing DQ11 for $20 during Black Friday, but part of me knows it'd be a while before getting around to it, let alone finishing it. Not to mention I try to plan RPGs and the next one I'm playing is Tokyo Mirage Sessions in January.

Not to say I don't want it, but with my budget & how many games I'm eyeing that're also around the $20 range, it's more "I'll ask & see if I get it as a gift"...though maybe I should give the demo a try.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm being totally honest I didn't think Nier Automata was all that great. Tons of really cool ideas, some great characters, wonderful music but I found the overall story more than a little lacking and the really cool parts made everything else a lot more lackluster. The open world and combat for example were pretty barebones and unimpressive and they were a fairly large part of the game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If I'm being totally honest I didn't think Nier Automata was all that great. Tons of really cool ideas, some great characters, wonderful music but I found the overall story more than a little lacking and the really cool parts made everything else a lot more lackluster. The open world and combat for example were pretty barebones and unimpressive and they were a fairly large part of the game.

I think it worked for Nier Automata because the open world was fairly small and you traveled around the same places multiple times. It made the back half of the game hit harder imo. I thought the combat was fine, I really don't want DMC levels of depth in an action rpg.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think it worked for Nier Automata because the open world was fairly small and you traveled around the same places multiple times. It made the back half of the game hit harder imo. I thought the combat was fine, I really don't want DMC levels of depth in an action rpg.

It was a game that didn't really need an open world and it showed in nearly every design decision around it. Ugly uninteresting design for the most part, tedious travel through it, doesn't actually add much to the game aside from bloating the time between the interesting stuff. The combat was just a letdown. Its a game where you can do a ton of stuff and have different strategies but the vast majority of enemies can be beaten with a dodge and a few basic combos. Even the 2D shooter bits felt a bit... half baked.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yoko Taro's games have always been chores to play through full of all kinds of poor design decisions but I guess I was hoping Platinum might shore things up.
I think what broke it is having unlimited potions because that's destroyed the combat

I would be fine with normal difficulty but the potions seemed to make hard difficultly frustrating because then everything can destroy your health and you have to use the right data sets to make it tolerable

I love the game but the RPG elements fucks with the hack and slash elements

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Automata combat still looked and played well regardless of it being very easy and not requiring the depth that is there hidden under the surface. If I compared it to other Action RPGs I'd put it near the top of the list on that alone.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Automata combat still looked and played well regardless of it being very easy and not requiring the depth that is there hidden under the surface. If I compared it to other Action RPGs I'd put it near the top of the list on that alone.

After playing Monster Hunter World, the Souls games and a variety of other action RPGs these last few years its pretty middling to me. The 2D shooter sections also got old really quick.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the combat is good enough on normal difficulty and elevated by everything else that makes me love the game

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
After playing Monster Hunter World, the Souls games and a variety of other action RPGs these last few years its pretty middling to me. The 2D shooter sections also got old really quick.
Stuff like Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, and Souls have better combat, sure. I'm more thinking about the more recent action RPGs like FFXV and Ni no Kuni 2, and Automata played significantly better than those.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, and Souls have better combat, sure. I'm more thinking about the more recent action RPGs like FFXV and Ni no Kuni 2 and Automata played significantly better than those.

I just began avoiding combat in Automata like I did BotW. Its there, it does its job, but it just slows me down from getting to the good parts of the game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I don't want that level of combat in every game, I like jrpgs that can keep things simpler so I can still do cool, flashy stuff, but not have to be edge of my seat to not die in two seconds.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I'm not sure if there's any game in the last decade I liked *a lot*. Plenty I liked, but all of my favorite games are older ones. Maybe I'm getting old.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want that level of combat in every game, I like jrpgs that can keep things simpler so I can still do cool, flashy stuff, but not have to be edge of my seat to not die in two seconds.

When it's the main form of gameplay from a studio lauded for its combat gameplay I expect a bit more. I was avoiding most all combat because it was more a chore than it wasn't exciting. I blame part of this on the open world nature as creating combat scenarios for melee combat is a staggering task.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Im sorry, did I hear someone mention Death Stranding on day one?

5iRiXVl.jpg

This fucker is massive. I dont know where im gonna stash this thing tbh. Shoutout to my boy Zonic for helping me acquire this thing.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the gameplay loop in Death Stranding is for me. The trailers told me this and even the first two streams I have watched told me this.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Me: I need to be responsible this year & set a budget for Black Friday so I can still have a good enough budget for gift shopping.

Also me: Okay so Best Buy & Target have their ads & so far, there's 9 games I'm eyeing with 2 to see if Gamestop, Meijer, or Walmart will discount, then see which ones would be easiest for others to get me as gifts while getting them the best deals.

To be honest, I'm not sure if there's any game in the last decade I liked *a lot*. Plenty I liked, but all of my favorite games are older ones. Maybe I'm getting old.
It probably also doesn't help today's games are so long, it's harder to replay them, especially if you're like me & want to experience as many games as possible. The only game I can see myself replaying in the future is probably Sonic Mania because S3&K is one of my favorite games, and this is on par with that, but it also doesn't take that long to beat. That, and I know I won't get the same experience as I did during my first playthrough, more so for story heavy games.

Status
Not open for further replies.