• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I still think Erina and Alice should swap voices and it would be 100 times more appropriate.
Erina's voice is perfect for the character. She is stuck up and annoying. It's perfect. One of the best voice castings of all time because she is a horrible character and Food Wars would be a vastly superior series if she wasn't in it so a super annoying voice for a super annoying character works.

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The Adult Swim website has DBS starting its reruns at episode 128, which means there are 4 weeks until the last episode airs again.

MHA S3 reruns also have 4 weeks left until the end.

Pretty sure you know what that means for November 9th.

Primal reruns also air leading into the block starting this week.

🤔

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
4 weeks behind on S4 seems a little much, though maybe they'd want a buffer

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I'm late on this, but I wanted some time to think & give a legit answer.

I guess overall, Super is better than Kai because it remembers to have a sense of humor (the baseball & Dr. Slump were easily my favorites) & is a bit better at pacing (which is more due to not being adapted from the manga), but at the same time, I can't help but feel more annoyed by the fact it still has some of the same issues as Kai & doesn't fix any problems, not to mention kinda brings up a few new ones.

I really like Battle of Gods but I wasn't a fan of all the changes made, the fights are pretty much the same as they've always been (take a shot everything they're in the air with a flurry of punches, 2 shots if they're teleporting around), they introduce more deus ex machinas (Whis reversing time, having even better wish granting balls) which just further stresses that there's no consequences to anything that happens whatsoever, & it just feels like "here's more of dbz" with how much retread it goes through with its arcs & villains. Hell, it feels like these problems are amplified now that I've seen HxH in its entirety and how it handled its final arc which felt the most shonen yet still managed to do something unique. Here, I just continue to feel checked out because I'm just bored & feel like I've already seen what the show has to offer with the 10 previous arcs. Some say it's simple, but I see that as a major flaw when I have the knowledge of other shonen titles to compare it to.

I'm not gonna bother if DBS' new season happens & comes onto the block. My patience has been tested already numerous & I gain nothing positive for continuing this, let alone make every week just be more repetition of "i do not care for this show" when everyone else is trying to enjoy it. At least with something like SAO, we're all on the same page & it's entertaining to rag on it.

tl;dr this series will never click with me, even when I was a kid in the late '90s/early 2000s at the right age & dbz was at its peak popularity.
ToP > Chimera Ant

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The more I hear of Sentai dubs, the more it just makes me think they're basically 4Kids but without all the changes & edits. Just makes me dream of a Funimation dub & how both the VAs and the viewers would've had so much fun with the dialogue & line deliveries. Like having Ian Sinclair being one of the judges or perhaps one of the one-off reactors.

The sad thing about the food wars dub is that it's not even like they got bad actors for it. There is just a lot of miscasting for the characters and some directional issues.

The same cast, switched around some with a better director could likely be a great dub. Instead it's a decent dub with a lot of oddities lol.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing about the food wars dub is that it's not even like they got bad actors for it. There is just a lot of miscasting for the characters and some directional issues.

The same cast, switched around some with a better director could likely be a great dub. Instead it's a decent dub with a lot of oddities lol.
It just shows that once again, the issue with Sentai, or rather this particular ADR Director, is that they're just given bad direction & half the cast sound like they're doing a practice read. They clearly get talented people considering some of the VAs have worked for Funimation, it's just that they sound like they're from a dub in the late '90s. I'm told they can make some good dubs, I just need to see which shows & hear them for myself.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It just shows that once again, the issue with Sentai, or rather this particular ADR Director, is that they're just given bad direction & half the cast sound like they're doing a practice read. They clearly get talented people considering some of the VAs have worked for Funimation, it's just that they sound like they're from a dub in the late '90s. I'm told they can make some good dubs, I just need to see which shows & hear them for myself.
I find the dubs to My Love Story, Chihiyafaru, and Nozaki-kun to be fairly good.
Made in Abyss had a mostly find dub.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
4 weeks behind on S4 seems a little much, though maybe they'd want a buffer

Isn't that basically how far behind both Fire Force and Dr Stone would have been had everything gone according to plan? I think it makes sense for Funimation to allow a month delay between airing on their site and airing for "free" on Toonami.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that basically how far behind both Fire Force and Dr Stone would have been had everything gone according to plan? I think it makes sense for Funimation to allow a month delay between airing on their site and airing for "free" on Toonami.
Yeah but if we're talking about MHA replacing DBS, you'd think they'd want a premiere. Fire Force is the closest one to a simuldub right now lol. Only one week behind.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned it last night, but I wanna say it again, I feel the dub for Dr. Stone is real strong.

In particular Matt Shipman as Chrome, and Felecia Angelle as Kohaku are loads of fun.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah but if we're talking about MHA replacing DBS, you'd think they'd want a premiere. Fire Force is the closest one to a simuldub right now lol. Only one week behind.

There is really no benefit to Funimation to have their simuldub same day on Toonami. A month delay makes a lot of sense for all their simuldubs going forward since it doesn't devalue their streaming service.

Haven't checked it in awhile but isn't Fireforce a real simuldub that releases the same day?

Funimation has a real simuldub on their website, Toonami was going to be a 4 week delay, but between the skipped episodes in Japan and other shenanigans Toonami is only 1-2 weeks behind.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, the Chimera Ant arc certainly was long & had some moments that dragged a bit, but I still felt invested and there were actual stakes. I knew from the start that nobody was going to die in ToP because death means nothing in this franchise, so why should I care when the show acts as though this is suppose to be a big deal when an entire universe, let alone numerous ones, is going to be erased from existence when they tell us "oh yeah those deus ex machina things? We got even BETTER ones that can any wish possible unlike yours!" It'd be like if One Punch Man wasn't in on the joke that Saitama was the strongest person & they tried to play it super serious.....which I recall is partly why S2 of OPM doesn't work as well.

Plus HxH just was more interesting in terms of the fights because people actually had different abilities that were unique & it was more a battle of brains over "nuh-uh, i can hit harder than you". Were some of the nen abilities a bit hard to understand due to how complex they were? Sure, but I still appreciate the concept and how they were used.

It's quite clear that nostalgia is a hell of a thing for DBZ fans & why it holds a place for them, especially when it's compared to wresting & how the two fanbases seem to overlap. I went into this franchise with no nostalgia whatsoever & instead with the mindset of "let's see how this inspired future shonen that I've read & why this became such a pop culture icon" and maybe I went into both Z & Super with too high expectations. Either way, I'm done with this franchise & I'm just gonna let the fans here just enjoy it since I've pretty much said everything that I can put into words as to why I just don't care for the series & just don't have any desire getting into arguments when I know it'll just be me repeating what I've said over the years. When the series returns, I'll let you guys enjoy it without my negative presence.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
There is really no benefit to Funimation to have their simuldub same day on Toonami. A month delay makes a lot of sense for all their simuldubs going forward since it doesn't devalue their streaming service.

Funimation has a real simuldub on their website, Toonami was going to be a 4 week delay, but between the skipped episodes in Japan and other shenanigans Toonami is only 1-2 weeks behind.
Yep that's what I figured. MHA will miss a week for New Year's but TOONAMI will probably miss two weeks for Christmas assuming it airs in November on TOONAMI.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Goku Black is the most interesting (which is insane because the concept sounds like the most fanficy thing ever, but it worked). But it loses some points for fumbling the ending.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I like the 2nd Dr. Stone OP. It's not as catchy as "Good Morning World" but it's pretty hype. The 2nd ED is okay but it's a huge downgrade from the first.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
The Adult Swim website has DBS starting its reruns at episode 128, which means there are 4 weeks until the last episode airs again.

MHA S3 reruns also have 4 weeks left until the end.

Pretty sure you know what that means for November 9th.

Primal reruns also air leading into the block starting this week.
This couldn't possibly mean anything

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_oshh2dqVzb1v1hotuo1_540.gifv

She and Gordon should go on a date

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact the last episode of Super was directed by a woman and it was her first time being lead director on one of Toei's shows

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I should really rewatch Kakegurui but dubbed. I only saw the 2nd episode when I was showing my friend the show & why it'd be up his alley. The dub seemed pretty decent for the most part.

....speaking of Netflix, I really need to finish Hi Score Girl & Baki along with S2 of Castlevania & starting shows like Back Street Girls: Gokudols, Violet Evergarden, Carol & Tuesday, Dragon Pilot, March Comes in like a Lion, & Anohana (when I'm in the right mood). Too bad most of the time it feels like I spend more time figuring out what to watch compared to actually just watching something so I just go back to Youtube or games.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If MHA S4 really does end up starting off Toonami, that would be kinda weird considering they shuffled it all the way to the back halfway through the 3rd season.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I will let the toonami people decide.

To go to sleep to after I finish my current shows do I watch.

A. D Gray Man
B. Fairy Tail (starting where I left off on like 200 something)
or
C. Black Clover

?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
You do not need to watch Back Street Girls or Dragon Pilot
Heard decent things about Dragon Pilot, though I admit that part of me can't help but thing it'll be a decent idea with a less than average execution. The trailer for Back Street Girls made it look pretty funny, does it not live up to said expectations?

Edit: random, but I got bored & decided to look up what episode of Jojo we'd end on for the year. Assuming we get the usual Thanksgiving marathon & then the holiday marathons starting on the 21st of Dec., we should end with episode 7.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.