• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking lately, with my huge respectable brain.

Black Clover is a bad show that I kinda genuinely enjoy.

Truly, I have the most refined taste.
This happened to me as well. While I liked the non battle episodes quite a bit I really couldn't stomach the 90% of the show that took place in a cave before the Witches Forest, and then something broke my highmindedness probably somewhere around Ladroses third or fourth bullshit powerup when I decided I was just along for the ride. The next arc being genuinely entertaining for the entire run was a pleasant surprise. Now that I'm watching it over again from the beginning stuff like Asta continually asking for Sister Lily to marry him just makes me laugh instead of cringe. My brother in law had a version of that with a next door neighbor who started asking for his hand in marriage when she was six...and he was fifteen.

It's been at times the show I secretly want to watch the most on TOONAMI because of the reactions even though about three months ago I decided to just catch up on Funimation. So now I spot the difference between the two runs (different soft coded subtitles, credits in English, stuff like that, BC isn't far enough ahead to get the Blu-Ray version of episodes) and its sort of the gatekeeper of the my time of TOONAMI o'clock.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
i managed to catch most of the last Fire Force episode while i was doing other stuff, and it seemed... good?

why is this show so fucking inconsistent?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
i managed to catch most of the last Fire Force episode while i was doing other stuff, and it seemed... good?

The writer is good, the art is amazing, parts of the premise are dark and interesting. But the writer also wants it to be a big mainstream hit and keeps things safe and perverted.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
kids saying they want to marry an adult that they like a lot isn't uncommon

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Asta keeping it up when he's fifteen reminds me a lot of this girl though.

Sister Lily's different ways of politely but firmly saying no really got me laughing when I rewatched the show. He tries at least three times an episode.

Also whenever he gets tempted by anyone else and then decides he needs to remain devoted to Sister Lily gets me hollering. It's these dumb jokes that broke me in the end.

Ha-hah was the original I can't believe they're going to keep doing this dumb joke, oh wait why am I laughing moment. Him getting roasted during the mixer episode still sticks with me.

Another one is whenever Asta agrees with someone insulting him, especially Yuno.

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017

Ohkubo's a strange author.
I have to wonder how much the fanservice is mandated by WSM's editors. WSM seems to prefer having trashy Shonen compared to Jump or Sunday.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not about eye for an eye punishment but I guess Tomino needed Jerid to suffer a bit more than a comedy pratfall death.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
amvs are 99% terrible clip shows set to some combination of Nickleback or My Chemical Romance

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
So yeah I finished Kaguya-sama and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I didn't hate it but most of the humor didn't really land for me and I just found all of the main characters to be pretty annoying (especially Chika good lord she got on my nerves y'all actually like her?) I didn't buy the "emotional" moments in the last few episodes, i thought it was trying too hard to be emotional and was just lame and I was frankly pretty bored of the series by the end. I don't really get the hype honestly but it's pretty inoffensive i guess?

He's lying. Kaguya-sama has actually become one of Pascal's favorite anime, and he plans to immediately continue the series by reading the manga. Pascal found the humor to be amazing throughout the entire series, to the point where he had to pause the show multiple times because he was practically rolling on the floor with laughter, and the fireworks arc moved him so much that he nearly cried. He really found himself liking the main characters and just wanted them all to be happy. Chika is actually his favorite character and he found her dance to be delightful and incredibly well-animated and has watched it at least 7 times by now. He hopes more than anything that there will be a season 2 because he feels this series deserves it.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah I finished Kaguya-sama and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I didn't hate it but most of the humor didn't really land for me and I just found all of the main characters to be pretty annoying (especially Chika good lord she got on my nerves y'all actually like her?) I didn't buy the "emotional" moments in the last few episodes, i thought it was trying too hard to be emotional and was just lame and I was frankly pretty bored of the series by the end. I don't really get the hype honestly but it's pretty inoffensive i guess?

He's lying. Kaguya-sama has actually become one of Pascal's favorite anime, and he plans to immediately continue the series by reading the manga. Pascal found the humor to be amazing throughout the entire series, to the point where he had to pause the show multiple times because he was practically rolling on the floor with laughter, and the fireworks arc moved him so much that he nearly cried. He really found himself liking the main characters and just wanted them all to be happy. Chika is actually his favorite character and he found her dance to be delightful and incredibly well-animated and has watched it at least 7 times by now. He hopes more than anything that there will be a season 2 because he feels this series deserves it.
lhxO8Sg.gif

Stunner911

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wakanda

Got scared there

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's not Halloween yet, don't ever scare me like that again

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
That's some deep quality trolling using the latest in forum technology. Had to squint to figure it out. A+ read, will fall for it again. We here at TOONAMI give it a 9.5, highest rated review ever.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'm sorry I scared some of you with my fake bad opinions. Kaguya-sama was amazing and I loved (almost) every second of it. Thank you everyone who talked about it in this thread, I think I experienced something truly special and it probably wouldn't have even been on my radar without y'all pushing it constantly.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 10 episodes into Gintama...should I just jump a season or two to more recent episodes? It's not clicking with me, but I'm not disliking it by any means. Though I will say, the art style really reminds me of Naruto (probably the same studio). I feel like maybe if I jump ahead where they don't have to spend as much time establishing the world, I can see more out-there plots & jokes.

Meanwhile, I'm only halfway into the first episode of Cautious Hero & I'm laughing at every minute of it. It's like they took Sousuke from Full Metal Panic with his "I MUST BE OVERLY PREPARED FOR ANYTHING" mindset, gave him a "i don't give a fuck about what's going on with your world" vibe, & made him an Isekai protag in a series that is extremely self aware to the point they say they tend to summon Japanese people because "they're easiest to train" because "Japan has a lot of stories about people being taken to another world for various reasons, so they get the idea pretty quickly. Though the public is on the verge of being completely oversaturated with this kind of story, the sheer number of them can only mean it's still popular!" And also omg so many facial expressions. This may be the one show I watch this season. It's like that one RPG player who always has to have maxed out item slots to be prepared but then never uses them because what if you need them for a future battle is the MC.

Oct 25, 2017
v10 of fire force getting animated is going to be greatest episode/episodes of 2019 I hope the studios SSR++ teams gets on it cause wow, my favorite volume of a non bl manga in recent memory, deserves the best visuals of all times.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 10 episodes into Gintama...should I just jump a season or two to more recent episodes? It's not clicking with me, but I'm not disliking it by any means. Though I will say, the art style really reminds me of Naruto (probably the same studio). I feel like maybe if I jump ahead where they don't have to spend as much time establishing the world, I can see more out-there plots & jokes.

Meanwhile, I'm only halfway into the first episode of Cautious Hero & I'm laughing at every minute of it. It's like they took Sousuke from Full Metal Panic with his "I MUST BE OVERLY PREPARED FOR ANYTHING" mindset, gave him a "i don't give a fuck about what's going on with your world" vibe, & made him an Isekai protag in a series that is extremely self aware to the point they say they tend to summon Japanese people because "they're easiest to train" because "Japan has a lot of stories about people being taken to another world for various reasons, so they get the idea pretty quickly. Though the public is on the verge of being completely oversaturated with this kind of story, the sheer number of them can only mean it's still popular!" And also omg so many facial expressions. This may be the one show I watch this season. It's like that one RPG player who always has to have maxed out item slots to be prepared but then never uses them because what if you need them for a future battle is the MC.
Nah, you shouldn't skip episodes. They introduce running gags that are literally built on throughout the entire series. Everyone agrees the first few episodes are the weakest since it needs to spend a lot of time introducing all the characters, but once it gets going it never stops. Episode 25 is a good early episode that makes the series click for a lot of people.

And no, the studio is Sunrise (primarily known for Gundam), not Pierrot.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Cautious hero has some amazing facial animation.
It's Konosuba levels of wacky faces and I love it.

Also it finally hit me who the voice of Ristarte(Era), I'm pretty sure it's Jamie Marchi, aka Liz from Soul Eater, Panty from Panty & Stocking, Mt. Lady from MHA, & Ayame from Shimoneta.
Nah, you shouldn't skip episodes. They introduce running gags that are literally built on throughout the entire series. Everyone agrees the first few episodes are the weakest since it needs to spend a lot of time introducing all the characters, but once it gets going it never stops. Episode 25 is a good early episode that makes the series click for a lot of people.

And no, the studio is Sunrise (primarily known for Gundam), not Pierrot.
Gotcha, I kinda figured that was the case considering comedies don't usually have the best first seasons. It could also be that I read a few volumes of the manga a long time ago, so it's not really new for me but more of a refresher. I'll still keep watching, but I'm kinda wishing there was a dub so I could watch while doing something else instead of dealing with reading the subs. Inb4 "insert clip from gintama movie dub here"

Weird. I saw the Sunrise logo, but I couldn't help but keep thinking that. Maybe it's the look that mid-2000s anime had at the time that reminds me of Naruto, especially due to it being in feudal Japan.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I'm proud of you Pascal

Also B-Dubs where the hell do people in Manhattan get their groceries I didn't see a single store when I was there

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Year: Sometime in the far future.
Humanity: Living in Space Colonies.
Space Nazis: Oh you better believe there are space nazis.
Milquetoast Protagonist with girl who loves him and hangs around him: Oh you better believe it. And he LOVES PEACE.
Neutral Colony that hasn't seen war: The most neutral.
Sudden invasion by commando squad of said space nazis, probably all teenaged boys with bad attitudes: You better believe it, the worst attitudes.
Milquetoast boy becoming a hero after the colony is attacked and he climbs into a giant robot where he kills a heck of a lot of space nazis in less cool giant robots: You know it.

Am I watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam? I am not.
...Oh, You're watching GUNDAM SEED right? (The coordinators aren't space nazis though) You wish.
...Aldnoah Zero? Hell no.
...Gundam AGE? You couldn't pay me to watch that again.

I'm watching, the one, the only...

tqac1O9.gif

VALVRAVE THE LIBERATOR: 01

So I described the first half of the episode pretty accurately. Haruto is the lame protagonist who climbs into a robbit after his love interest Shoko is blown up (off camera, with no body shown) by a transfer student bully who just happens to be a fucking space nazi. I mean, literally the third space reich. He goes crazy, gives up his humanity to his Apple Car loli assistant and pilots the Valvrave against some generic ass mobile suits. A shut in hacker girl shares all this live on the future internet and Haruto gets a lot of friend requests. End of episode. Oh and the post episode scene has him get stabbed through the heart and shot a bunch by the bully, and before he steals the robbit the main character becomes a space vampire and chomps down on his neck. Okay so it's not exactly like those other shows, but it sure does feel like someone got nostalgic for Gundam SEED and had just read Twilight.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya was pretty good but its not even in my top 5, maybe not even top 10 animes this year. It was a pretty good year all things considered. I was never a big rom com guy though.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Glad ya liked it. Probably my favorite series I've gotten into this year. Both the anime and manga are fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.