• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017

10. Jessica Curry (Dear Esther/Everybody's gone to the Rapture)
9. Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill)
8. Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage)
7. Shoji Meguro (Persona/Catherine)
6. Austin Wintroy (Journey/The Banner Saga/ AC: Syndicate)
5. David Wise (Donkey Kong Country Series)
4. Yoko Shimomura (Final Fantasy XV/Kingdom Hearts Series)
3. Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross/Xenogears)
2. Koji Kondo (The Legend of Zelda Series/Mario Series)
1. Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy Series)

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd swap 1 & 2 personally, but it's really more of a tie.

Overall not a bad list.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good list. Uematsu no.1 is definitely expected and deserved.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I know Toby Fox has only put out 1 game and a demo but I'd put him up there. If you ask me which composer I would want to hear a new OST from, he would be near the top of the list.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Pretty good list but I think Russel Brower and Jeremy Soule deserve spots on this list.

Aug 26, 2018

10. Jessica Curry (Dear Esther/Everybody's gone to the Rapture)
9. Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill)
8. Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage)
7. Shoji Meguro (Persona/Catherine)
6. Austin Wintroy (Journey/The Banner Saga/ AC: Syndicate)
5. David Wise (Donkey Kong Country Series)
4. Yoko Shimomura (Final Fantasy XV/Kingdom Hearts Series)
3. Yasunori Matsuda (Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross/Xenogears)
2. Koji Kondo (The Legend of Zelda Series/Mario Series)
1. Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy Series)

No Marty o'Donnell for Halo?

Others are good.

Nov 13, 2017
Good list, but I think Toru Minegishi could be on there too - he composed Super Mario 3D World, Splatoon 1 and 2, Animal Crossing, Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, etc.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Yuzo Koshiro needs to be higher but surprisingly good list. Really like seeing Jessica Curry on there, I love her soundtracks for Dear Esther and Machine For Pigs

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
No Naganuma? Yikes.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Toby Fox and Mick Gordon are unfortunate omissions. But limited to 10, that'll happen.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
With EZA Top 10 lists I always feel like there are entries championed by one specific person rather than reached by consensus.

But whatever, there are great picks here.

Ikouros

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Koji Kondo was robbed, in broad daylight. Swap 1 & 2.
Really though, Kondo's scores are far more iconic, memorable and dare I say varied than Uematsu's.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Meguro would be higher if they listened to his stuff before Persona. Digital Devil Saga's soundtrack is ridiculously good.

I miss Uematsu a lot, it makes me sad honestly.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
My order might be different and may include other composers, but you can't really argue with the list, pretty much everyone in there is super talented and adds a hell of lot to the games they've composed for

And they almost made it through without saying 'bleep' and bloop' but they ruined it when talking about the wonderful David Wise - one of my absolute least favourite terms used when talking about game music

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Might be nitpicking but there's no composer list to me where Koji Kondo should be anywhere else but #1. The Mario theme is iconic and mainstream recognizable. Can't say the same for any Final Fantasy stuff, as good as it usually is.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird, I feel like this isn't a bad list, but I could still swap out like 4 or 5 for others like Mick Gordon, Darren Korb, Hideki Naganuma and Jesper Kyd or others.

Can't argue about that 1-2 though, except for maybe swapping positions.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Well done Bloodworth and Allies, no complaints from me. It's sad that many composers with huge bodies of greeat work, like i.e. Inon Zur, or the legends from the C64 and Amiga era, had to be left out, but those that made the list were valid.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I care so much about music and composition, and I will be titled if I see this list and it omits a lot of the lesser known geniuses of game music. Ack, and GAH!

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
David Wise 5th? No Jeremy Soule?

???
I think Jeremy Soule is very impressive at what he does technically, but for me there's not a lot about his work that stands out (outside of a couple of very strong themes) - I know plenty here and elsewhere like him but I can absolutely see why he misses out here

Might be nitpicking but there's no composer list to me where Koji Kondo should be anywhere else but #1. The Mario theme is iconic and mainstream recognizable. Can't say the same for any Final Fantasy stuff, as good as it usually is.
Uematsu pips it for me mainly due to slightly more variety across his work. Both are exceptional though, of course

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Lot of safe choices, but that's okay. It was kinda weird how they rushed through Koshiro with only one track from one game while everyone else got montages and medleys, like they must have no familiarity with -any- of his work outside of Streets of Rage.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's a good list. I would put Koshiro slightly higher.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
No Mick Gordon or Darren Korb, no sale.

Mick's awesome, and Darren's music elevates Supergiant's games. I can't even imagine them without his soundtracks.