• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kobayashi is one of the most legendary video game composers around as far as I'm concerned, but I wouldn't even consider his non-placement an omission since he's virtually unknown in most circles. Which is a damn shame. As far as the big names go, Marty O'Donnell is the biggest omission.

He did compose that specific track.

He did? I tried to find detailed soundtrack credits but couldn't find anything.

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I know Toby Fox has only put out 1 game and a demo but I'd put him up there. If you ask me which composer I would want to hear a new OST from, he would be near the top of the list.

Agree. One of the most perfected albums in gaming history.

Megalovania it self needs to be in the list.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Kobayashi is one of the most legendary video game composers around as far as I'm concerned, but I wouldn't even consider his non-placement an omission since he's virtually unknown in most circles. Which is a damn shame. As far as the big names go, Marty O'Donnell is the biggest omission.

He did? I tried to find detailed soundtrack credits but couldn't find anything.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/koji_k..._for_skyward_sword_discusses_importance_of_m/

He always did one or two tracks in each mainline Mario/Zelda game until 3D World.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No Yuka Kitamura, no Disasterpiece, no Olivier Derivière.
And no 8bit musicians like Rob Hubbads or Jeoren Tel.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The list makes sense based on the games they generally enjoy, but a list that is more comprehensive would probably include Russel Brower (WoW, partic WotLK)

Edit: Apparently there are WoW fans amongst them, so I just flat out disagree with his exclusion over #s 8 and 9

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I think that from the Top 5 they picked, Uematsu should be number 5 and not 1, but even so a solid list. Kondo, Mitsuda, Shimomura, Wise... are the top composers in videogames easily. Surprised to see Meguro too high or even on the list, I love Persona music but I don't think his compositions are as good as most composers on the list, they lack the "classic" feel.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
That's my top 5, placement and all. I just wish Kumi Tanioka was there but I understand why she is not :P

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I think that from the Top 5 they picked, Uematsu should be number 5 and not 1, but even so a solid list. Kondo, Mitsuda, Shimomura, Wise... are the top composers in videogames easily. Surprised to see Meguro too high or even on the list, I love Persona music but I don't think his compositions are as good as most composers on the list, they lack the "classic" feel.

Putting Wise above Uematsu would be insane.

And I adore Wise. But that just wouldn't make sense.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Toby Fox, and Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori, belong on that list.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
I find it funny that they listed Yoko Shinamura who pretty much blatantly ripped parts from Jeremy Soules Skyrim soundtrack.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I was all *eyeroll* about people complaining about omissions

and then I saw no Sakimoto

you monsters

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Putting Wise above Uematsu would be insane.

And I adore Wise. But that just wouldn't make sense.
I dunno, I love his music more. I like Uematsu don't get me wrong, but I never felt that FF music is that good, and that's a big part of Uematsu's work. I think that Mitsuda is far better than him at doing the "melodic epic JRPG music", as well as is Kondo in general, and both Shimomura and Wise created some pieces that I'll remember all my life, which I don't think I'll do with most Uematsu's music. And never felt that the OST in The Last Story or Lost Odyssey was especially great tbh.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Shimomura's placement is kinda bothering me, as I want her to be in the Top 3 but the people above her are REALLY good.

It's just that she's my favorite composer since Street Fighter 2 and has done so so so much.

Two of my favorite tracks from her is Out of Phase from Parasite Eve and Zangief's Theme from Street Fighter 2.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Meh. I'd put these over most of the list:

Michiru Yamane
Michiko Naruke
Yuka Kitamura
Steve Henifin
Hitoshi Sakimoto

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Shimomura's placement is kinda bothering me, as I want her to be in the Top 3 but the people above her are REALLY good.

It's just that she's my favorite composer since Street Fighter 2 and has done so so so much.

Two of my favorite tracks from her is Out of Phase from Parasite Eve and Zangief's Theme from Street Fighter 2.
No lie, I think she can easily be #1 or #2. I'd definitely rank her above Koji Kondo.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Pretty good list, it would be impossible for me to rank my favourite composers in any kind of sensible order, especially in such a short list, so might as well throw in some of them in no particular order:

- Hirokazu Ando (Kirby's Adventure/ a shitload of other Kirby games/ Kirby Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot)

- Robin Beanland (Donkey Kong Country/ Conker's Bad Fur Day)

- Jake Kaufman / Virt (Shantae/ Shovel Knight/ Mighty Switch Force)

- Takushi Hiyamuta / HIYA! (Metal Slug series)

- Mahito Yokota (Super Mario Galaxy series/ Super Mario 3D World)

- Toru Minegishi (The Legend of Zelda series/ Splatoon Series)

Sorry for the long list, I love thinking about VG music, but I frankly don't have the finesse to talk about it!

RobotMoses

Jun 3, 2018
No Jeremy Soule is ridiculous. And I'd definitely put Grant Kirkhope, Russell Shaw, Paul Romero and Marty O'Donnell on that list.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
My main issue with this video as a video is that they correctly gave time to listen to a couple of compositions but I really hated how half the songs didn't stand out as musical pieces from other composers doing movies or performing at orchestral concerts. Too many generic sections were played.

My other issue is that Jesper Kyd didn't make the cut. This guy was hyped a lot and he still delivered when I finally heard his music. Any of his opening bars blow out 90% of the opening bars played in this video.

Personally I wish Jeehun Hwang was prolific enough to make such a list because what he made was fucking amazing in the 90s but he hasn't done any gaming music since 2001.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
There is a severe lack of Keiichi Okabe on here. Otherwise it's a good list. Michiru Yamane, Toru Minegishi, and Motoi Sakuraba are also worth mentioning. I also have a soft spot for ACE/ACE+ and Mick Gordon.