• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

which one will get to 3 million (in famitsu's chart) first?

• splatoon 2

Votes: 196 44.4%
  • super smash bros. ultimate

Votes: 245 55.6%

• Total voters

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Xenoblade 1 had a less complex battle system. Might be because I haven't played it for a few years.
Battles in Xenoblade 2 are too easy to justify it's complexity.

Off topic but I felt like XC had a more complex battle system than XC2, or at least you felt more in control. Towards the end of the game, I felt like I understood the flow far more and my party was more flexible. I enjoyed XC2 but the blades system kinda got in the way for me.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Truth always prevails, which means on a long enough timeline MK8 would chase the other two down.

on 3DS, MK7 did beat everything else eventually after several years.
if there's no Switch MK, i can see MK8D beating everything else eventually worldwide.

japan is a different matter though. MK is not powerful enough to bring down Pokemon or AC there.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch. Was expecting more, way more.
Then I am happy to announce you that the game sold around 350k copies !

1.5m copies sold WW before the end of January. 1.08m copies sold outside of Japan at end of December (December 31st).

The game got severe shortages for more than a month and therefore has an abnormally high digital share.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So here's the PS4's first two years in comparison, from the Media Create thread:
damn, really puts things in perspective.

Nah because Pokemon isn't really first party cuz it's Game Freak
And Smash because that's Sora & Bandai Namco
And Kirby because that's HAL
And Pokken Tournament again cuz Game Freak
And Xenoblade because that's Monolith Soft

Nintendo doesn't make many games
botw isn't first party either cuz monolith soft helped on it.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Just remember that XC2 did significantly better than any other game in the series physically in Japan and it definitely had more of a digital presence. Not sure why everyone is expressing disappointment in it only barely reaching the Top 20. Also, I will never not laugh at people falling for Anihawk trolls.

SWI Xenoblade Chronicles 2 97.274 236.992* Nintendo 01/12/2017
WII Xenoblade Chronicles 79.163 163.442 Nintendo 10/06/2010
WIU Xenoblade Chronicles X 88.544 137.470 Nintendo 29/04/2015
3DS Xenoblade Chronicles 3D [New Nintendo 3DS] 43.762 87.932 Nintendo 02/04/2015
SWI Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country 4.744 4.744 Nintendo 20/09/2018

*This data is from Games Data Library and I think the discrepancy between the numbers in the OP and here is due to the Digital Estimates being included.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking mostly about designs before. The character design helped in sales in both Japan and the west.

I kinda agree about battle system, but I prefer it the way it is and would be sad to lose it, which could happen maybe if something like a more western tailored game sold more.

I think Monolith is capable of making a battle system that is approachable yet deep. They did it in Baten Kaitos. It's extremely simple at first and then the nuances slowly show themselves and finally it becomes one of the best and most intuitive combat systems in any JRPG I've ever played.

The Xenoblade series on the other hand has not been similarly approachable from the start. Part of it has to do with the "MMO-ish" auto attacks being the base of combat, at least to me. It also requires knowledge of things like positioning and toppling and all that right from the very start, whereas BK starts with "play card, perform attack."

I'm really hopeful that they can get back to that approachable yet deep design for their next game(s).

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
damn, really puts things in perspective.

botw isn't first party either cuz monolith soft helped on it.
giphy.gif

Splatoon 2 included

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
So here's the PS4's first two years in comparison, from the Media Create thread:

From the numbers here, the top 20 for software for the PS4 only sold around 3.85 million copies for the first two years. The Switch? Around 18.5 million. That's almost 5 times the amount of software sold.
PS2 like performance is never happening again in Japan for strictly home consoles, it's kinda sad, at least Nintendo did the right move with the Switch.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Bandai Namco helped on that too. Nintendo literally has no first party games anymore and is a shadow of their former self :(
We live in a era that MS have more games in top 20 best selling switch games than Nintendo, truly a sad state of affairs

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Monolith is capable of making a battle system that is approachable yet deep. They did it in Baten Kaitos. It's extremely simple at first and then the nuances slowly show themselves and finally it becomes one of the best and most intuitive combat systems in any JRPG I've ever played.

The Xenoblade series on the other hand has not been similarly approachable from the start. Part of it has to do with the "MMO-ish" auto attacks being the base of combat, at least to me. It also requires knowledge of things like positioning and toppling and all that right from the very start, whereas BK starts with "play card, perform attack."

I'm really hopeful that they can get back to that approachable yet deep design for their next game(s).
I think their new IP will be very approachable with the battle system. It sounds like it will be an Action RPG. Monolith Soft should want growth in their studio. You don't want all your IP's to be the same.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thing is that I like positioning and everything in Xenoblade's battle system and it's not like there are many games doing that, while you have a bunch of "action" RPGs already.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is that I like positioning and everything in Xenoblade's battle system and it's not like there are many games doing that, while you have a bunch of "action" RPGs already.

The problem isn't that those aren't good features, it's that they are not introduced well in the Xenoblade series, at least in my opinion. I don't necessarily want those to be gone (and you never know, they might be present in an action RPG), but they need to go back to a better system of introducing more and more combat systems and features more slowly, as the player is more familiar with the base combat.

I think the problem with Xenoblade (again, for me) is that the base combat without those features is just too boring to work well like that. And that goes back to the auto-attack thing. So instead of present a simple but boring combat system that slowly becomes deeper and more satisfying, they present a very complex combat system right from the beginning which can be very satisfying to some but very imposing to others.

They just really need to make sure the base of the combat system is fun, I think then they could expand on it well, even with things like toppling and positioning.

Sledge

Oct 28, 2017
When you see the sales figures of Splatoon 2 it further demonstrates why it was revealed alongside Mario and Zelda at the Switch launch event.

The game is just that important to Nintendo.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you see the sales figures of Splatoon 2 it further demonstrates why it was revealed alongside Mario and Zelda at the Switch launch event.

The game is just that important to Nintendo.
yeah, it's really important for them. and while it may not be doing as well in the rest of the world, they certainly want to grow it to become as big as mario and zelda. let's not forget that it's only on its 2nd entry, not 20th like those other two series, and has already sold 8.2 million on switch and 5 million on wii u. it has A LOT of room to grow as a series. i can see them starting to dabble into spin offs and other genres in the same world.

I know it's sarcasm but that statement is factually wrong. Monolith soft is a first party studio
i know it's factually wrong, we had someone in another thread arguing that only in-house (as in, EPD games) count as first party games, even tho anything made by monolith soft is also "in-house".

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
What I find most interesting about Xenoblade 2's sales is that out of every game on the list, it's the only game to continue selling in 2019 without ever charting. Chris broke down the 2019 sales for the games that aren't still in the Top 30 in the MC thread. But of those select games, Labo and 1-2-Switch have charted in Famitsu; DKC and the others have charted in the MC Top 50 and/or Dengeki Online; but we've not seen XB2 in that time. It suggests that it sales have been rather steady, averaging 939 a week (this numbers are through Week 8, not Week 9).

Also, I noticed that the Monster Hunter sales do not include the Budget re-release. I never charted in Famitsu, so it has no entry in Game Data Library. But Dengeki has it selling enough but itself, that those sales can not possibly be included in that total.

here are the 5 titles that would likely be number 21-25 (numbers as of the end of 2018):

[NSW] Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle <SLG> (Nintendo) {2018.01.18} (¥5.980) - 213.453
[NSW] Octopath Traveler <RPG> (Square Enix) {2018.07.13} (¥6.800) - 193.780
[NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.07} (¥6.800) - 181.090
[NSW] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker <ADV> (Nintendo) {2018.07.13} (¥3.980) - 156.330
[NSW] FIFA 18 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} (¥5.800) - 122.998

happy to see mario+rabbids performed decently in japan.
Super Bomberman R would be #25, not Fifa 18. It didn't chart in that 2018 list, but its last known LTD was at 145k according to Famitsu.
Genuinely shocked Tropical Freeze beat Xenoblade 2. Hopefully NOJ takes notice and breathes sorely needed new life into the DK IP.
Xenoblade likely sold a lot more digitally than DK did. XB2's last given shipment total was 310k in Japan as of March '18, while DK's was only 280k in Japan as of December '18. With no evidence at all that XB2 was overshipped, the difference can only be explained by digital sales. Also, XB2 has sold slightly more than DK has in 2019.