• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't understand why he is being constantly being hyped like he is. His numbers don't stack up and he didn't play well against good teams. He has a big arm with accuracy issues. Since I'm a Brown's fan though that's who they will take I'm sure.

I'd personally take Rosen as the top pick. Or even better Saquon and see what QBs are available at 4

Exactly, if his completion percentage didn't scare some teams. I doubt this will scare them off drafting him.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Well, he's exactly right.
He is really not.

If we can try 16-18yr old kids as adult for crimes we sure as shit can hold them accountable for their social media accounts.

The guy was calling people faggots and throwing around racial slurs and racist lines.

There is no "well he is just a kid guys" here. Also since when is "pretending" to be a homophobic racist "trying to be cool"

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
https://sports.yahoo.com/offensive-tweets-josh-allen-surface-hours-nfl-draft-024847843.html

Allen has tweeted the "n" word multiple times.

"@cheriishhh: i dont think you niggas want a troubled son!"

— Josh Allen (@JoshAllenQB) June 14, 2012

"@Alpha_Patlan: "@J_Prodigy_5: @Alpha_Patlan (uhh) stay schemin…" Niggas Trying To Get At Me. " doe

— Josh Allen (@JoshAllenQB) February 12, 2013

"@FelipeeeeMelo_: Bout to show up these Niggas at pong. Gonna do for @j_prodigy_5 @AFlyer5 and @J_Sal_Forever_5.":)

— Josh Allen (@JoshAllenQB) February 26, 2012

He also responded to a question that looks like was asked of him on AskFM in 2013, saying "If it ain't white, it ain't right!"

Why are you so white ? — If it ain't white, it ain't right! http://t.co/wsLQKZQWG5

— Josh Allen (@JoshAllenQB) June 25, 2013

While this one isn't necessarily offensive, Allen also shared his public dislike for NBA star LeBron James in 2011.

I hate LeBron!!!!! #LeBronSucks

— Josh Allen (@JoshAllenQB) June 7, 2011

This sounds like one of those "white boy wanna say the n-word" type of deals, which I would classify as offensive rather than "racist." The only one that sounds racist is the "if it ain't white" one.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't give him a pass on the racial stuff, but everything else...come on, if social media was around in my teens and early twenties there would absolutely be some dumb shit on there I would not want dug up many years later.

slabrock

Oct 25, 2017
This is like failing a drug test at the combine level dumb. You know people are gonna scour your social media before the draft

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
God am I lucky that I was an edgy teen and didn't use social networks. Who brings up shit someone did as a teenager to judge there character years later.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What would holding him accountable entail in this case?
People are trying to say that this shouldn't affect his draft status or the opinion that teams have of his character.

It absolutely should.

Now he may have changed his beliefs or matured and that's fine, but at the very least this shows that he was not willing to be upfront and honest about his past views or mistakes.

If I was a team about to invest a #1 overall pick I sure as hell would look at all of this and be repulsed.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
That "if it ain't white" one could've been a slightly misquoted reference to a Modern Family episode. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://modernfamily.wikia.com/wiki/Manny_Get_Your_Gun

It's Manny's birthday, and he is giving a speech to everyone thanking them for being there. Of course, nobody looks like they want to be there. Jay had to wait for the tardy Gloria, Mitchell is trying to buy a gift while Cameron meanders, and Phil has to fill out the application for Family Camp, as they MUST defend their Dirty Dancing title from the previous season. Claire is still a little upset about "Color Wars" from last summer's camp, but Phil just likes to rub it in, because "if you ain't white, then you ain't right." He even made up t-shirts, which the black cab driver who drove them home totally loved (not really judging from his dumping their luggage and rudely taking Phil's cab fare). Claire wants to take her route to the restaurant, Phil counters with his, and they decide to race each other there.

I mean I still say a lot of stupid shit but I'm also glad social media wasn't a thing when I was in high school.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
He is really not.

If we can try 16-18yr old kids as adult for crimes we sure as shit can hold them accountable for their social media accounts.

The guy was calling people faggots and throwing around racial slurs and racist lines.

There is no "well he is just a kid guys" here. Also since when is "pretending" to be a homophobic racist "trying to be cool"

I was just thinking about this and how social media can and should affect our employment opportunities. Should there be a cut off at 18? 21? Post college? I mean, some employers already check potential candidates' personal Facebook's, Twitter should be the next step. I guess context would have to come in to play as well.
I'm really not against using someone's social media to get a sense of ones character, but at what point can we give them the benefit of the doubt and allow them to further mature emotionally and empatheticlly?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Now he may have changed his beliefs or matured and that's fine, but at the very least this shows that he was not willing to be upfront and honest about his past views or mistakes.

In what way does it show that?

When he meets someone new should he lead with "Hi I'm Josh and I used to post dumb and offensive things on Twitter"

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is really not.

This analogy doesn't make sense.

Trying someone for a crime is not the same as holding someone accountable over their over social media posts.
First of all a being tried for a crime implies it was a recent thing. Usually you're caught and tried soon after. These tweets tho are old enough to expect that person that made them to be different now.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
People are trying to say that this shouldn't affect his draft status or the opinion that teams have of his character.

It absolutely should.

If I was a team about to invest a #1 overall pick I sure as hell would look at all of this and be repulsed.

I disagree.

It would be different if we're talking about tweets he made during his time in college or even recently. But people can change, especially when in a college campus setting from when they were 13-17 years old. Hell, my wife held some pretty awful views when she was in high school, and it wasn't until she got to college that she matured and became a much more open-minded person. Not to mention that most 21 year olds probably don't remember social media posts from when they were in high school, and didn't think much of it. I'll say the guy was being the stereotypical dumb jock idiot in high school, but I'm not going to brand him as being a racist or homophobe unless he still holds those views. I'm going to throw stones when I likely said stupid shit when I was a teenager before I grew the fuck up.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is really not.

I did the same shit too when I was 14, i can admit that. People can absolutely change. Im in fact quite the opposite of how I was as a teenager as im sure many have grown to be.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And thus, the true consequences of social media has taken shape.

We now have an entire history of public statements dating back to childhood to go through whenever someone gets into the spotlight. Your entire life will be up for scrutiny now, not just things that someone happened to have quoted you on and hearsay from others.

I'm not sure if this will be a good thing or a bad thing in the end. It may help weed out bad people from positions of power\notoriety before they had the sense\handlers\agents to keep these thoughts private or it may end indicting someone for actions while you were in formative years.

In this particular case, I think this is fair game to scrutinize Josh Allen for his high school tweets. While racism is a indoctrinated belief, you need to demonstrate growth beyond such heinous thoughts to regain standing in the public eye.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Giants are fine, because the Browns are (probably) drafting Mayfield. Who they almost certainly could get with the 4th pick. Sigh...
I'm REALLY hoping my Browns pick Barkley at #1 and pick up a QB at #4.

but at the same time I really don't mind them getting the QB they want if one really stands out to them for whatever reason and getting Chubb at #4. Our edge rushing game will be epic. Plus, our RBs are fine. Would be better with Barkley, but they're fine as is.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
1. He's a dumbass for not having someone deal with this once it was clear he was an NFL prospect.

2. Being a teenager isn't a good enough excuse to be a racist shit stain. (Unless it's just lyrics, then he's just a dumbassX2)

Fuck em, no room for QB's this fucking stupid.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017

but at the same time I really don't mind them getting the QB they want if one really stands out to them for whatever reason and getting Chubb at #4. Our edge rushing game will be epic. Plus, our RBs are fine. Would be better with Barkley, but they're fine as is.

That is why I don't see Barkley going to the Browns. Chubb will be the 4th pick if he is still there and it is a bigger need for them.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

It absolutely should.

Also, when it's less than a day before the draft, it's hard for teams to do their due diligence on vetting his currently held attitude. I think there's an decent chance he's changed that aspect of himself since then, but when picking him as your QB of the future, they're going to want more than a "maybe".

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If the Browns weren't going to take a QB with the top pick it would be smart of them to take Chubb first and then take a QB at 4. There are plenty of good RB's this draft that will be further down the board for them to get.

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
If I was a college football coach my first damn speech to the new freshman classes would include a conversation of "go to your social media accounts and scour and remove anything remotely offensive."

I'm seriously surprised that this kid didn't have anyone watching his back in this regard.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Also, when it's less than a day before the draft, it's hard for teams to do their due diligence on vetting his currently held attitude. I think there's an decent chance he's changed that aspect of himself since then, but when picking him as your QB of the future, they're going to want more than a "maybe".
Exactly. This is just an all around bad look. He probably cost himself a top 5 selection.

Because people who had Darnold, Rosen, and Allen all on the same level are gonna be leaning towards Rosen and Darnold now.

Oct 27, 2017
wouldn't surprise me if it was CLE leaking in order to absolve them for passing on the best QB in the draft. There's plenty of well run teams that will happily snap him up lining up after them.

edit: teams have known about this all along I'm guessing and he's likely had to answer for it in interviews. The only thing that changed was that it was leaked by someone i.e. CLE, Josh himself (to not go to CLE) or rival teams so that he would drop to them.

Last edited:

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, if his completion percentage didn't scare some teams. I doubt this will scare them off drafting him.

Do you realize the average playing conditions Allen had to play in at Wyoming? Cold temps + High Winds = Low Completion % couple that with the fact he was in an offense that relied on big plays deep down the field he is going to have a lower completion %. He didn't pad his stats with dinky screens and dump offs.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you realize the average playing conditions Allen had to play in at Wyoming? Cold temps + High Winds = Low Completion % couple that with the fact he was in an offense that relied on big plays deep down the field he is going to have a lower completion %. He didn't pad his stats with dinky screens and dump offs.

I'm not saying he's not talented. He hasn't done anything to justify the hype except having a big arm

Oct 25, 2017
All of this wouldn't be happening had the Browns been smart and drafted Wentz.

As an Eagles fan however, I'll take it.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
He is really not.

In those tweets he was 14-15. As abhorrent as they are, kids at that age are often abhorrent.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
All of this wouldn't be happening had the Browns been smart and drafted Wentz.

As an Eagles fan however, I'll take it.

Wentz would have NEVER blossomed under the Browns like he did with the Eagles.

Wentz and Foles are both good QB's who became great QBs in a solid QB system.

Foles didn't do much of anything in St. Louis with Jeff Fisher either, but his first season back in Philly, as a BACKUP, he goes on to become Superbowl MVP. lol

If the Browns drafted Wentz, I highly doubt he would have had even a quarter of the success he's had in Philly.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Wentz would have NEVER blossomed under the Browns like he did with the Eagles.

Wentz and Foles are both good QB's who became great QBs in a solid QB system.

If the Browns drafted Wentz, I highly doubt he would have had even a quarter of the success he's had in Philly.
Yeah he would have done a bit better than Kizer but not by much.

That why I feel so damn bad for Kizer. He never had chance and now everyone thinks he is trash.