• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
I was just thinking about this and how social media can and should affect our employment opportunities. Should there be a cut off at 18? 21? Post college? I mean, some employers already check potential candidates' personal Facebook's, Twitter should be the next step. I guess context would have to come in to play as well.
I'm really not against using someone's social media to get a sense of ones character, but at what point can we give them the benefit of the doubt and allow them to further mature emotionally and empatheticlly?

I think you are over thinking it how about not being a racist pos and life will be simpler for them?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
People saying he should have cleaned up his social media... Reality is you really can't clean up your social media anymore. There are services that track when old tweets on famous (ish) accounts are deleted, constantly comparing tweet counts and then looking for what tweets are missing from an archive and where the count changed, and so going back and deleting old tweets will unearth them sooner if you're mildly famous. If you tweeted something when you were 16, and you're famous at 21, that shit is coming out. Best thing you can do is just own up to it when it comes out and prove how you've changed, if you've changed.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, everyone who is in college, about to embark on 'real actual life', if you have any concern about your social media hurting your chances to, like, have a job and a future, delete it all, and start new. Is there anything in there you'd be embarrassed to show your grandmother, or have on the local news/?? Delete it all.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I would advocate a massive boycott of the NFL. If the black players refused to play, I think the owners would be forced to change.

It's easier said than done. A lot of these players are made to focus on nothing but football from the time they are like 12. They are told it's their only chance at a livlyhood, and with football careers being so short, they have to get their money while they can.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I would advocate a massive boycott of the NFL. If the black players refused to play, I think the owners would be forced to change.

You mean like a union strike? Because the NFLPA is by far the weakest in professional sports due to short careers and non guaranteed contracts.

I agree that is what needs to happen but for many this is their livelihood and they cannot miss a paycheck.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The hardest part isn't the stars but the brick and mortar players. They can't afford to miss checks.

I would kill to see it happen. The NFL owners need to have their plantation mentality eliminated. But the amount of resolve needed tlby the players would be staggering.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kids need to delete all social media and start new accounts when they go into sports or fame of any kind. Hell, I don't use social media but if I do I'll be starting new accounts so any future prospective employers don't skip me for my social media posts.

The hardest part isn't the stars but the brick and mortar players. They can't afford to miss checks.

I would kill to see it happen. The NFL owners need to have their plantation mentality eliminated. But the amount of resolve needed tlby the players would be staggering.

Hard to look millions in mouth and walk away from it. No more struggles for your family, can put kids through school, buy mom and dad the house they always wanted and still have more than enough to live it up. I can't blame them for struggling to decide how to address it all

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
But see that's the thing, there are some people on this board already arguing "kids say the dumbest things" and I would like to know is that right or fair?

Shrugs at 16 and still sprouting such shit? What do you think? Maybe saying stupid shit and having consequences isn't such a bad thing is it?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, he's exactly right.

As if it isn't possible to be young, dumb, and racist.

Or... I know this is crazy... but how about this: instead of needing to "scrub" their accounts, we address the real issue and work on people raising their kids not to be racist idiots?

Separate issues. Not in this instance, but plenty of NFL prospects tweet out things that are just genuinely stupid kid things that could do with some scrubbing.

This situation with Allen ain't that, but a lot of these niggas could absolutely use a Twitter/social media cleanse before they step into the spotlight.

JORMBO

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shrugs at 16 and still sprouting such shit? What do you think? Maybe saying stupid shit and having consequences isn't such a bad thing is it?

He apologized and does not appear to have said anything bad since. Should he be punished for the rest of his life for saying dumb shit in high school?

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
It's easier said than done. A lot of these players are made to focus on nothing but football from the time they are like 12. They are told it's their only chance at a livlyhood, and with football careers being so short, they have to get their money while they can.

You mean like a union strike? Because the NFLPA is by far the weakest in professional sports due to short careers and non guaranteed contracts.

I agree that is what needs to happen but for many this is their livelihood.

See this is why a lot of these players need to really take advantage of their free rides to college. Granted, the job market isn't going to be kind to these guys whether they get a degree or not, but you'd think they'll have more of an "in" than your average joe in the job market. Also, and I know it's not really their fault, there should be courses dedicated to teaching them how to finance their money better. This is frustrating...

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

Slight derail, but Calvin Johnson did it the right way. Get in, get your millions, save it, retire at 30.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
See this is why a lot of these players need to really take advantage of their free rides to college. Granted, the job market isn't going to be kind to these guys whether they get a degree or not, but you'd think they'll have more of an "in" than your average joe in the job market. Also, and I know it's not really their fault, there should be courses dedicated to teaching them how to finance their money better. This is frustrating...

They are often not able to take advantage of college. When you are 19 and your coach is telling you which classes to take so that you can keep your gpa up and stay eligible, what are you going to do?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I don't want anything to happen to the guy. I mean I think he should play football. He was a teen at the time.

Now all that said, kind of gross to see some handwaiving away at racism because "football". He absolutely should be called out and expected to answer for it, if he has changed, then he needs to show it. His fans and ticket buyers are going to be paying for him to play and many will be Black nevermind most of his teammates. I was a kid too and I didn't throw the N word around, and keep in mind I come from a strong conservative family.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Advanced draft strategy in the social media age to have this stuff suddenly become news this close to the draft.

We all know teams don't give two shits but the potential "public perception concerns" could make someone buckle and let a high prospect fall.

It's about as much of a game as how ESPN will be touting Baker Mayfield's "character concerns" when coincidentally he refused to have cameras in his home for live shots of him and his family during the draft.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

It is not just financial education. They are very unlikely to land a job that is comperable paywise. They will make more money in their short NFL careers than the vast majority of the population will in a lifetime.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017

Honestly? I think words do indeed have consequences and people should be called on them. Maybe if these kids see that whatever they post online can come back on them and maybe challenge their prospective opportunities then they would probably think twice about that slur, or turn of phrase, or obscenity. However, if it isn't a reflection of their current character, they should have every opportunity to explain themselves or even atone for past transgressions.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
High school kids are dumbasses, news at 11.

A 2011 LeBron hating tweet? He should fit in just fine in Cleveland. If they had to check Twitter Receipts at Cavs games the arena would be empty.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
If he wants this to go away, it's like someone said earlier: own up to the tweets, apologize, and say that's not who he is anymore.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
High school kids are dumbasses, news at 11.

A 2011 LeBron hating tweet? He should fit in just fine in Cleveland. If they had to check Twitter Receipts at Cavs games the arena would be empty.

He'll be fine. In about three months all of Cleveland is going to hate LeBron again too once he ditches that shithole.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if he still remained a first - third round draft pick and this had no impact on it at all.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I mean you all saying it was stupid shit said as a kid and the context was cringy love shit (like I did when my ex was away) I would agree but you fucking now at the age of 10 that these things isn't ok.

He can have changed but even at that age he knew better.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
As if it isn't possible to be young, dumb, and racist.
Also, it's as if being young, dumb and racist precludes you from being older, smarter and not racist. What he said was terrible and stupid, it doesn't mean a 21 year old holds the same maturity level and world views as their 15 year old self.

With that said, his draft stock needs to fall, he shouldn't ever have been in top 5 consideration anyway.

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
How long should dumb shit he said as a teenager on Twitter follow him and impact his life then?

How should I know? In this specific case he lose his chance at being the number onepick? Will he be out on the streets cause of it? Or should shit you say on Twitter at 16 should be devoid of consequences?

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
They are often not able to take advantage of college. When you are 19 and your coach is telling you which classes to take so that you can keep your gpa up and stay eligible, what are you going to do?

In the back of my mind I knew that this was a reason why. Just having the opportunity to play for the NFL is a blessing in and of itself and to do so while getting paid money that you could only dream of is the icing on the cake. These players won the lottery essentially, but it's a Faustian bargain at the expensive of their health, well-being, their humanity. It's just another example of black bodies being used for monetary gain and not of their own doing. What's the point of being knocked senseless if your team owner thinks of you as no more than a stud?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see a white boy tossing around "nigger" like it's nothing walk out on that first overall while Colin Kaepernick spends another season blackballed.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These are stupid kid tweets and to some extent not even being reported in context.
Ah yes the "its only racist because its taken out of context"

Can't wait to see a white boy tossing around "nigger" like it's nothing walk out on that first overall while Colin Kaepernick spends another season blackballed.
Seriously. Like its so obvious this wont have impact on his draft status. Hes a white guy espousing racism. The nfl has no problem with that, especially for someone at the QB position.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes the "its only racist because its taken out of context"
He was like 16 and said "if it ain't white it ain't right" in response to someone asking about why his skin is so white. And a lot of those were just song lyrics that had the n-word in them. That's what out of context means, dude.

There's a difference between insensitive and overtly racist. I and almost everyone I knew said insensitive stuff all of the time when I was 16.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah he would have done a bit better than Kizer but not by much.

That why I feel so damn bad for Kizer. He never had chance and now everyone thinks he is trash.
I honestly thought Kizer would be pretty good if he could've sat for a couple years (assuming he had a compenent QB coach). Hue Jackson butchered the QB situation. Again.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, it's as if being young, dumb and racist precludes you from being older, smarter and not racist. What he said was terrible and stupid, it doesn't mean a 21 year old holds the same maturity level and world views as their 15 year old self.

With that said, his draft stock needs to fall, he shouldn't ever have been in top 5 consideration anyway.

No one's saying he can't have grown up since then. It's just troubling the lengths people go to deny there's a chance that behavior is a symptom of beliefs he could still hold.

Racists aren't some mythical beasts we tell children of color about to scare them; they're real, and it should be on Allen to prove that he's not counted among them after discovering he certainly was as a teenager. I'm not judging him guilty or not, but my real world experience tells me behavior like that doesn't tend to just disappear, especially in white folks who've been as privileged as he is.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly thought Kizer would be pretty good if he could've sat for a couple years (assuming he had a compenent QB coach). Hue Jackson butchered the QB situation. Again.
I hope they take Darnold. I know it's being reported everywhere that it's gonna be Baker, but I don't wanna see Baker waste away there.

I personally think Darnold is gonna be a busy so of rather him go to the Browns .

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
And yet Kap took a knee to protest social injustice and he is blacklisted.

Okay lol
Kap isn't very good. Ironically he has a pretty similar makeup to Allen, immense athlete with great arm strength and speed with poor decision making and the accuracy of a scud missile.

If Kap was say Russel Wilson or Cam Newton in the same position, he'd have a team. Given how polarizing Kap is with the American public, not even NFL teams, for a low tier starting QB or a backup he isn't worth the investment for most teams. Brandon Marshall has been similarly outspoken and controversial, yet he is gainfully employed with the Broncos because he's actually a good player.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile scouts were peckish on Josh Rosen because he openly criticizes Trump

Hmmmmmm

Makes you wonder

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Kap isn't very good. Ironically he has a pretty similar makeup to Allen, immense athlete with great arm strength and speed with poor decision making and the accuracy of a scud missile.

If Kap was say Russel Wilson or Cam Newton in the same position, he'd have a team. Given how polarizing Kap is with the American public, not even NFL teams, for a low tier starting QB or a backup he isn't worth the investment for most teams. Brandon Marshall has been similarly outspoken and controversial, yet he is gainfully employed with the Broncos because he's actually a good player.
Kap isn't being shunned because of his skill. He is being shunned because of his refusal to stop fighting for social change.

Kap is better than 90% of the backups in the league. He deserves to be on a team, but the league is blackballing him