• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Forget the "he was a kid" nonsense.

1. He made ignorant tweets as a teenager.
2. He didn't give them any thought until recently, a few years after he made them.
3. He tried to quickly delete them and pretend they never happened, right before a big career opportunity was about to happen.
4. If he wasn't about to be drafted by an NFL team, those tweets would still be there and he wouldn't be giving them a second thought about being inappropriate.

Honestly, if you get this far and it never occurred to you between now and then that ignorant stuff you willingly posted online might not be appropriate until right before you were about to get drafted by an NFL team, then I must question your judgment in many other things as well.

He didn't care about those tweets he made until it became a threat to his big money-making NFL opportunity. Why should anyone excuse that?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He was like 16 and said "if it ain't white it ain't right" in response to someone asking about why his skin is so white. And a lot of those were just song lyrics that had the n-word in them. That's what out of context means, dude.

There's a difference between insensitive and overtly racist. I and almost everyone I knew said insensitive stuff all of the time when I was 16.
No there isn't. Being insensitive doesn't excuse it from being racist.

Meanwhile scouts were peckish on Josh Rosen because he openly criticizes Trump

Hmmmmmm

Makes you wonder
Don't forget about that one time he asked Mora "why" regarding a scheme they were running. HIGHLY FLAWED CHARACTER

Oct 27, 2017
Those nigga tweets were when he was like 15 right? And he's clearly using it in a non-derogatory way right?

I'm usually pretty quick on the condemnation of people coming at my black folk but this is peak, "white boy trying to act hard."

He deserves to be mocked like a clown and heavily side-eyed, but I think career-long repercussions are overkill here

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
If they take Mayfield first pick, then i wish utter misery and failure for that franchise. You can never have a more incompetent organization ever in pro sports.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao "he was a kid." I don't recall slinging slurs when I was his age. I had common sense. There's doing harmless dumb teenager shit, and then there's vile shit like this.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Kap isn't being shunned because of his skill. He is being shunned because of his refusal to stop fighting for social change.

Kap is better than 90% of the backups in the league. He deserves to be on a team, but the league is blackballing him
I'm not saying he isn't better than 90% of the backups in the league. He is a backup tier QB though. That's why he is being blackballed because he adds little value to most teams.

If he was a top 20 QB, his employability would be vastly different. As a non-american, I don't understand the offensiveness of kneeling for an anthem at all, it's some of the dumbest shit ever to get people riled up. It does however seem to offend a large contingent of NFL fans, so I imagine regardless of what a teams stance on what he is doing is, hiring a backup QB that will affect merch sales doesn't seem like a smart investment.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes the "its only racist because its taken out of context"

Seriously. Like its so obvious this wont have impact on his draft status. Hes a white guy espousing racism. The nfl has no problem with that, especially for someone at the QB position.
They happily employ rapists. Why would anyone think something like this would scare them off?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
As a non-american, I don't understand the offensiveness of kneeling for an anthem at all, it's some of the dumbest shit ever to get people riled up. It does however seem to offend a large contingent of NFL fans
It's because it's misdirection. The issue isn't the kneeling; it's black folk making white people feel uncomfortable in spaces where they want to not think about uncomfortable topics. Even briefly. They rather protest be silent and in a corner, out of sight.

Maintaining their fragile mindstates are more important than the lives of people of color. Figures on the right took it and twisted its intent and purpose by claiming it was a protest of the flag when it was not. Then the simple-minded latched onto "don't protest the flag", side-stepping the point and the conversation that needed to be had entirely.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They happily employ rapists. Why would anyone think something like this would scare them off?
Oh of course that was my point. The only time its going to seriously affect somone's status is if theyre black and get caught using a bong or some other completely hamrless thing every other college student does. Its the nfl.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Pretty shameful to bring this up the day of the draft tbh. I won't hold it against him for saying something silly as a teenager especially since he owned up to it all but the character assassination that goes on is borderline disgraceful and seeing teams leak this to try and get talent to fall to them is shameful. You had the Tunsil situation few years back, the La'El Collins false sexual arrest that dropped him out of the draft completely. Josh Rosen is catching flack for his open views despite never being arrested all because he didn't grow up poor and is very confident enough to think he can be great on the pro level.

I thought a lot of what he said was him just trying to be cool and hip I guess, I don't think there was any malice intended. I don't get any kind of bigotry out of these comments?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Kap isn't very good. Ironically he has a pretty similar makeup to Allen, immense athlete with great arm strength and speed with poor decision making and the accuracy of a scud missile.

If Kap was say Russel Wilson or Cam Newton in the same position, he'd have a team. Given how polarizing Kap is with the American public, not even NFL teams, for a low tier starting QB or a backup he isn't worth the investment for most teams. Brandon Marshall has been similarly outspoken and controversial, yet he is gainfully employed with the Broncos because he's actually a good player.

60% career completion percentage
72 TDs to 30 Ints (2.4 TD to Int ratio)
2,300 yards rushing in 69 games

Cam:

58% career completion percentage
158 TDs to 94 Ints (1.7 TD to Int ratio)
4,300 yards rushing in 109 games

One is considered a star player, and the other can't get a job, but their stats are somewhat identical. Kap is definitely worth the investment. And lets not forget that Cam has said more than his fair share of dumb shit, apologizes, then it suddenly goes away.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017

Cam:

One is considered a star player, and the other can't get a job, but their stats are somewhat identical. Kap is definitely worth the investment. And lets not forget that Cam has said more than his fair share of dumb shit, apologizes, then it suddenly goes away.

Both led their team to a Superbowl appearance too.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Those nigga tweets were when he was like 15 right? And he's clearly using it in a non-derogatory way right?

I'm usually pretty quick on the condemnation of people coming at my black folk but this is peak, "white boy trying to act hard."

He deserves to be mocked like a clown and heavily side-eyed, but I think career-long repercussions are overkill here
I agree.

Let him have to now earn the trust of the teammates and organization he finds himself apart of tonight. That's on him now to do. Sucks this has to be the story for him going into the biggest day of his life, but here we are.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hey, everyone who is in college, about to embark on 'real actual life', if you have any concern about your social media hurting your chances to, like, have a job and a future, delete it all, and start new. Is there anything in there you'd be embarrassed to show your grandmother, or have on the local news/?? Delete it all.

Or understand that anything online tied to your real name is public domain and don't be a racist prick in public. Problem solved.

Times change, right? Parents need to step up and explain this shit to their kids.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Cam:

Well stated.

I wish my Browns would go get him.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they take Darnold. I know it's being reported everywhere that it's gonna be Baker, but I don't wanna see Baker waste away there.

I personally think Darnold is gonna be a busy so of rather him go to the Browns .
I'm a Browns fan, but I understand. We kept a coach who has gone 1-31. That's not just a case of picking the wrong QBs.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

Cam:

Kap was terrible in his last 2 years with the 49ers. In 2016 he had 9 fumbles alone.

I don't rate Cam Newton that highly but he is a much better player than Kaepernick. With that said teams are figuring out Newton, just like they did with Kap.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh of course that was my point. The only time its going to seriously affect somone's status is if theyre black and get caught using a bong or some other completely hamrless thing every other college student does. Its the nfl.
They overlooked a whole lot of shit that Winston did(and many many other number ones). It's not always about race, but often about their upside on the field. It's easier to take a stand when it's someone who they deem interchangeable.

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House
He shouldn't be a lottery pick because he's a trash QB with under 60% completion rates in college AND high school, and often struggled with simple passes (like screens). I don't really care what he said when he was...14-15, nor will I assume he makes similar comments now as an adult.

He'll still be drafted in the top ten I bet. Personally as a Lions fan I hope he falls so we can trade down and get another pick.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Kap was terrible in his last 2 years with the 49ers. In 2016 he had 9 fumbles alone.

I don't rate Cam Newton that highly but he is a much better player than Kaepernick. With that said teams are figuring out Newton, just like they did with Kap.

Kaep only played in 9 games during 2015 due to a shoulder injury, and had terrible offensive players in 2016. Yet he still posted a 90 QB rating with 16 TDs and 4 Ints. The only difference between Cam and Kaep is that Cam is bigger and stronger. But when it comes to intangibles and overall play, I'll take Kaep every single time over Cam. Both of them could only wish to could be as great as Russ.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Pats are frantically calling around to try and trade up to get him

Yup. Entertaining story but Allen has always been the story this draft season. Measurables vs lack of success and poor accuracy. Either one team was going to fuck up by picking him too high or everyone else was going to fuck up by passing him.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He didn't care about those tweets he made until it became a threat to his big money-making NFL opportunity. Why should anyone excuse that?
Because these were all posted when he was a kid who, like most kids, didn't understand the in-group / out-group dynamics surrounding the N-word. Show me tweets from last week of him using the same language, and I think you have a legitimate complaint. But from five years ago? No, sorry, not a big deal.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Kaep only played in 9 games during 2015 due to a shoulder injury, and had terrible offensive players in 2016. Yet he still posted a 90 QB rating with 16 TDs and 4 Ints. The only difference between Cam and Kaep is that Cam is bigger and stronger. But when it comes to intangibles and overall play, I'll take Kaep every single time over Cam. Both of them could only wish to could be as great as Russ.
I don't disagree. He just wasn't very good though. As a Broncos fan, I'd like to think we exposed Cam Newton's flaws and he's been struggling since. Similar to Kaepernick struggling since his flash in the pan couple of seasons and teams figuring out how to play duel threat QBs..

I only mentioned Wilson and Newton as they are two prominent PoC QBs, Wilson is a far better player than Newton or Kaepernick. Newton's size makes him more viable than Kap just because he can still power through that yardage if needed.

In any case, it's all kind of irrelevant to the point I was making in that if Kap was a top tier QB, his polarizing nature would be less of an issue and he'd be employed. His skillset isn't appealing enough to offset his marketing hit. It's unfortunate because what he has done has certainly made it an international conversation.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

In 2016 he had 7 turnovers vs. 18 touchdowns. It's not MVP level, but certainly not terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
cool the internet was around when i was a teenager and I never posted this kind of shit on myspace or whatever the fuck we had back then. the fuck out of here with this garbage.

GeoMack

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao "he was a kid." I don't recall slinging slurs when I was his age. I had common sense. There's doing harmless dumb teenager shit, and then there's vile shit like this.

Eh, teens are most often products of their environments, so your experience doesn't relate to his. Considering where he grew up (Firebaugh, CA) a rural area in the central valley, I honestly expected a lot worse. From what I saw, what he tweeted is pretty tame and harmless. Most of it looked like quotes from music and tv shows. Dumb and ignorant for sure, but I didn't really see any hateful rhetoric. To be clear, I'm not excusing it or saying it isn't offensive. I just don't believe we should hold people accountable for the stupid shit they say when they are teenagers. Especially when it concerns their career and will affect them the rest of their life. Lord knows I was a dipshit at that age and I'm sure I said plenty of ignorant shit.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excusing his racism on his age and making excuses for him is just pretty ridiculous in my view. I can't just dismiss racist shit.
Allen's tweets weren't racist. There's nothing derogatory in there about black folks. These are the product of a kid who hadn't yet learned society's rules for who gets to use the N-word and who doesn't. That makes the younger version of him socially ignorant, not racist.

(You could make a much stronger case for homophobia here than you can for racism).

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Excusing his racism on his age and making excuses for him is just pretty ridiculous in my view. I can't just dismiss racist shit.

Nah, he's an "angel who just made a mistake" according to this thread. We know who "s/he was no angel" is reserved for.
Such a stupid argument given the transgressions that were forgiven in order to draft both white and black players into the NFL at the number one spot.

FullMetalx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Come on he was only 14/15... have none of ya'll ever used "gay" or "fag" in a derogatory way in your lifetime? Because in elementary/middle school that's what all the kids used to say. I didn't even know what "fag" meant at the time and I used to say it. Here I am 10 years later and I realized how hurtful the use of those words actually are. Part of growing up

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This is probally why allowing you teens and adolescents on social media is a bad idea. It documents every half baked thought,idea etc. I dont condone the stuff its typical. but i know its just all stupid. If hes doing that in the last couple years thats way different. I dont even remember most of the shit ive said or done in my teens and 20s vs who i am today. I wish for more nuance on stuff like this.

Nah, he's an "angel who just made a mistake" according to this thread. We know who "s/he was no angel" is reserved for.
You can punish him for it but also consider the context. I was an asshole to someone of south asian indian decent when I was in HS calling them an injun etc.

I know we want to come down hard on kids but there are many kids who test a lot of these shitty boundaries and there is a difference between being ignorant of it now and/or acknowledging it and seeing if thats who they even are today.

Many MANY teens test a lot of social boundaries but arent actively being intolerant etc again it doesnt excuse it but yeah none of it is right when looking at it from the lens of an adult, but looking at it from the lens of a teen or a child it makes total sense.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
The moral of the story is to delete your social media postings from eons ago. Had a friend who told he had smut dug out from 2009 during a job interview