• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

https://twitter.com/PlayTorchlight/status/1221827495734890496

Some of the highlights:
  • The game will no longer be free to play
  • There will not be a real money shop (as far as I can tell - they're taking it out with their next build)
  • There will be both and online and offline modes, so no internet connection will be required
  • It's being moved onto Steam so you can buy it there (eventually)
For someone who's a huge fan of the Torchlight games (hundreds of hours of play time between both) but had huge reservations about how Torchlight Frontiers was shaping up under the influence of Perfect World Entertainment, I'm glad to see the game return to its (non-F2P) roots.

The new website: Here

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That's so weird. I liked the first two and never even heard of Frontiers. The name change and marketing alone will probably help it a ton.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is anyone able to capture the very last frame of the announcement video? There are console logos on there and I don't know if that's intentional or not.

EDIT: Got it. Thought it would be some sort of teaser but it just re-iterates what was in the blog post. Must have been an editing mistake.
ih3tpJW.png

Last edited:

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just came to know there was a thing called Frontiers. TL1 was alright , never gave TL2 a chance once D3 dropped.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
i played the alpha a bit its pretty good. premium and steam is a good choice. im in for a copy

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is good. Torchlight is definitely worth the 20-30 bucks as opposed to the grindier freemium model.

May 18, 2018
Not only have I just learned there will be a Torchlight 3 but that it was almost a f2p game by another name. I'm excited

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how amazingly Diablo 3 translated to the Switch, really hope they're able to bring it there at some point too. Lots of good times with Torchlight 1&2.

OP
OP
Damaniel

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm in. Torchlight and Grim Dawn are far more interesting to me than other entries in the genre.

There's a bunch of interesting ARPG development going on behind the scenes. Wolcen is due out in just a couple weeks, and Last Epoch looks halfway decent too. I hadn't even heard of either until last month.

Between those, PoE and TL3, I'll be set for quite a while. The jury is still out on Diablo IV (since we probably won't see it for years), but I'm still not happy about Blizzard at the moment so I might pass on it.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of news I like to see. Loved 1 & 2 but would never have considered Frontiers because F2P is not my style.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
hmm i wasn't a big fan of the alpha since it has to be always connected and with the server being in the US it makes the game sluggish
i just asked the discord and apparently alpha testers will be given a steam key

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never played Torchlight but was very excited by what I saw from Frontiers. Will definitely give this a go when it's out!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I wouldn't mind if it's online only, APRG's are at their best with server side MP for no hacking.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
hmm i wasn't a big fan of the alpha since it has to be always connected and with the server being in the US it makes the game sluggish
i just asked the discord and apparently alpha testers will be given a steam key
They're adding an offline mode with the switch away from F2P.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
yeah, seems like the update is in 2 days
will check it out, i only finished the 1st map

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear this. I'd much prefer a more traditional Torchlight 3 than the MMO-style thing they were going for.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually playing Torchlight 2 right now. My first Torchlight game and it's definitely scratching that Diablo itch.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
That's really good news, makes me interested in the game. Curious to see how it's different from Torchlight II but always love getting more Isometric ARPGs

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I liked the first game but I don't think I stuck with it long as I normally do with these types of games. How's 2 on switch?

Tarantism

Nov 8, 2017
Not that this should diminish anyone's interest but I don't believe any of the original Torchlight or Torchlight 2 development team are involved with this.

OP
OP
Damaniel

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Not that this should diminish anyone's interest but I don't believe any of the original Torchlight or Torchlight 2 development team are involved with this.

Echtra Games is made up of a number of the members of the former Runic team, including Max Schaefer. My biggest issue with the game wasn't with them, but with Perfect World Entertainment (their publisher), who doesn't have a great history when it comes to F2P gaming. Now that the F2P garbage is gone, I'm feeling a lot more hyped.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the game been in alpha forever, I can't wait. Torchlight is my favorite diablolike

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Great news, F2P can be great, especially with games like these, but T1 and T2 were already fantastic so I'm happy for a new one more in like with those two.
Is it the same 4 classes from T2?

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
This great news! So happy they went back to a offline playable game. Now I can actually start to care about the new Torchlight game! :)

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
This a little off topic I guess, but something I always wonder about. Out of pure curiosity, if devs want to entertain the free2play route with micro transactions, what is the harm of ALSO having a premium option for people who would rather pay up front for the more premium experience? Why does it have to be one or the other? I can't tell you how many games I have passed up because of micro transactions, but if the devs simply offered a premium price for the full experience, I would be all in. It seems like it's a missed opportunity because there are some very solid games out there held back because of the free2play model.

Anyway, Glad this is a legit game now and not free2play. I had no idea it was going that route and would have been hugely disappointed if it released that way.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
This is very strange - so how much of the MMO trappings and mechanics are going left over now that it's presumably going to be a more traditional Diablo-like experience? Can they really fashion 2-3 years of work on a F2P-model into a true sequel to Torchlight 1 and 2? I mean it's not like Torchlight Frontiers was a collection of concept drawings - people have played it, it exists as a actual game already in some capacity.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm not convinced this is good news, at least for my taste. It will likely be a good thing early on, but I suspect long term support will be less expansive than, say, PoE due to lack of continuous monetization.

I've seen F2P done well in this genre and don't automatically count it as a negative.

Tarantism

Nov 8, 2017
Echtra Games is made up of a number of the members of the former Runic team, including Max Schaefer. My biggest issue with the game wasn't with them, but with Perfect World Entertainment (their publisher), who doesn't have a great history when it comes to F2P gaming. Now that the F2P garbage is gone, I'm feeling a lot more hyped.

That's good to know, definitely more interested now I know that.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I also hope this has native controller support on PC. Playing extended sessions in these types of games with all the constant non-stop clicking just gets really straining.