• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
So after tapping out on Octopath about a week ago, I decided to start up the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 expansion. It took me a little more than 20 hours to do most of the content. Still missing a slate, have a handful of community tasks left, maybe two green barrels, and a few sidequests to complete, but for the most part, I'm done.

I really enjoyed it, even though it doesn't have that slow burn and immense depth of the base game. In a way though, I almost prefer that. I spent about a hundred hours playing XC2 over the course of nearly a year, and I have no idea how much content I didn't finish, but I'm guessing it's a lot. Additionally, I'm only at Eryth Sea in XC3D (around the 40 hour mark, which is probably a bit higher than it should be, but I spent a lot of time on the Bionis' Leg/Gaur Plains), and I'm getting overwhelmed by my inventory, party choices, gems, etc., in addition to realizing how much more of the game is left.

I liked how active a part Blades played in Torna's combat (and how few there were), and while it doesn't have nearly the level of XC2's customization, I liked switching out and the overall more brisk tempo of it. Maybe it was a bit too fast at times, because after a while I just let the AI take over, which like the base game, let me play with setups and team synergy to see what worked and what didn't. I love that about these nicely implemented auto combat systems. It's also great that I can go full manual whenever I need or want to.

The world, while far smaller and limited, still felt like an open-world game, with a nice sense of freedom to explore and discover. Labeled resource points and the FF15-like camps are great improvements. I actually liked crafting in this game, as I usually found it to be a pain to cook in the base game, so I barely did it. The community aspect was fine, although I could see it being annoying if you're the type of player who just wants to push the story forward. The late-game requirements could really put some players off. Quests were OK; a couple standouts, but most of them were your standard MMO-like fare. Loved the music and main story though! Lora was a terrific protagonist, and that ending was just... yep. :)

Anyway, after finishing it, I felt satisfied and not fatigued at all. There was never a point where I wanted to take long breaks from it (like I did with Persona 5 and XC2). While I think 20 hours for a game of this type is a bit too short (although perfect as an expansion), I feel like something that's 40-ish hours would be great, with a thoughtful and well planned NG+ (and beyond) for those who want to do it. It's exciting reading about XC2's NG+ features, but the idea of playing through it again tires me out just thinking about it! Not to say that one way or the other is better, as I know there are a lot of players who are in the "longer = better" camp. This is just me and my perspective as a 40-something year old dude who doesn't have as much disposable time as I once did, but who still absolutely loves playing games.

So yeah, Torna just got me thinking about RPG length in general. Not that it's the best comparison, but I think of the Dark Souls games and Bloodborne, which are all around 35-40 hours, and have NG+ loops for completionists and those wanting the extra challenge. My favorite 16-bit era RPGs are 25-40 hours. Gives you enough time to customize and enjoy the party/systems, but have a pace that keeps you engaged without having to dedicate so much time to them.

So with that being said, I've now been on the lookout for shorter RPGs. They don't have to be open-world, but my shortlist includes Ys VIII, Bravely Default, Cosmic Star Heroine, and Phantasy Star IV.

Curious to know what else might be out there! I'm mainly interested in more recent stuff (this gen and last gen) since I played most of the offerings from the PS2 generation and earlier. Thanks for reading, and don't worry, I still love me some long RPGs too... otherwise Dragon Quest VII wouldn't be one of my all-time favorites. :)

Mar 29, 2018
Bit confusing, OP - I had no idea Torna was an expansion, it sounds like a full-fledged game in its own right, so I was really confused by your post.

But yeah, shorter RPG experiences would be great.

Child of Light is meant to be a really good one, right?

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Bit confusing, OP - I had no idea Torna was an expansion, it sounds like a full-fledged game in its own right, so I was really confused by your post.

It's a standalone expansion.

Also shorter RPGs, yes.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Curious to know what else might be out there! I'm mainly interested in more recent stuff (this gen and last gen) since I played most of the offerings from the PS2 generation and earlier. Thanks for reading, and don't worry, I still love me some long RPGs too... otherwise Dragon Quest VII wouldn't be one of my all-time favorites. :)
Play The Last Story and Pandora's Tower on Wii (the latter is available digitally in PAL regions on the Wii U eShop as well). Two excellent ~30h RPGs/Action Adventures.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Xenoblade 2 was a huge disappointment for me, but I'm 30 hours into Torna and keep putting of the story missions to do sidequests because I'm enjoying it so much. I think I'm going to end up doing a 100% run, and the tightness of it all compared to the base game is definitely a major reason why I'm so into it.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I've not played Torna, but length is part of the reason why Chrono Trigger is so beloved. Short, sweet and perfectly paced.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

It's both. It's a standalone expansion. You can either buy it separately (physical or digital) for $40, or you can buy it as $30 DLC for the base game.

OP
OP
ghibli99

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
^^^ I have Ys VIII for Switch on my shelf. That might be next. :)

Several others already addressed the full game/expansion thing :), but yeah, I did play Child of Light! It's good, but I kinda got tired of its combat by the end. Would love for Ubi to do a follow up!

Play The Last Story and Pandora's Tower on Wii (the latter is available digitally in PAL regions on the Wii U eShop as well). Two excellent ~30h RPGs/Action Adventures.
I did buy these back in the day, but had to sell them when I was out of work. :( I might be out of luck unless they are available used at reasonable prices (I'm afraid to look).

Xenoblade 2 was a huge disappointment for me, but I'm 30 hours into Torna and keep putting of the story missions to do sidequests because I'm enjoying it so much. I think I'm going to end up doing a 100% run, and the tightness of it all compared to the base game is definitely a major reason why I'm so into it.
Yeah, it does a good job of keeping you engaged and the QoL features allow you to always be improving, leveling up, filling out your affinity chart, building community, finding treasure troves, doing quests, destroying barrels, etc. Everything is more compact and thus there isn't a lot of downtime or feeling overwhelmed by everything. There's a time and place for that too, but I thought they found a great balance here!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Also Ys VIII. I had that game beat in 20-30h

I just played Ys VIII, and it took me ~45 hours, so OP's mileage may vary. Great game, though, even if the Switch port is shockingly bad.

OP, you might also consider Tangledeep. It's a shorter turn-based dungeon crawler RPG. Story is ~20 hours, though its gameplay loop can be enjoyed infinitely. Beautiful pixel art, well-written dialogue, amazing OST, deep job system and build customization, monster taming.

Cosmic Star Heroine is definitely what you're asking for. Very fun game. If anything, its pace is a bit too brisk, with plots and characters zooming by with no room to breathe. I'd also put forward the Banner Saga series for ~10 hour stories that are well-paced. Biggest dislike I had with them is that the combat, while well-thought-out, was a bit too dry.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Torna was refreshing because I didn't feel overwhelmed but it still had plenty of things to do, but at the same time I love how I haven't come close to doing everything in XC2's main game yet even after over 170 hours. It's weird.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm 2/3 the way through it right now and despite still disliking the combat completely(thank god for auto-battles), though admittedly there are some decent improvements over XCB2 in that regard that make it almost OK, Torna is a very much a more enjoyable experience over the main game. Particularly because it's a smaller and more focused story. While it still has a couple very large environments that I continue to find not all that meaningful, but simply excessive, it's still vastly more focused than XBC2 and it's all the better for it. It gives me hope for the next game in the series as I've been rather underwhelmed by the Xenoblade series overall and find myself significantly left wanting with each entry having major issues and failing to really improve upon the last entry.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I had a wonderful time with Torna.

The base game boasts a superior cast of characters, more varied environments, a stronger soundtrack and a better story in my opinion - but it's a fantastic expansion all the same.

But you know what really impresses me about Torna? And it isn't just that it manages to deliver a satisfying JRPG experience in 20 to 30 hours.

It's how Monolith Soft refined the Xenoblade 2 formula after the original 2017 release.

They stripped back and reimagined the combat system to make it quicker and more intuitive.

They tutorialised systems far more clearly and allowed you to access helpful tips at any time in the menu.

They consolidated lots of systems into the camp fire crafting mechanic, which also doubled as a vehicle for more characterisation for party members.

They clearly labelled collection spots so you always knew what type of material you were going to get, cutting down on frustration.

The reduced the cast size, resulting in less micromanagement and less invasive field skill checks.

They wove the side quests together beautifully in a way they just didn't manage to in the main game.

It's an incredible achievement by the studio and shows that they listened to the criticism. Across the board, it lacks the depth of the main game - but it compliments it nicely.

As an expansion it's stellar. It sheds light on the events before the base game, introduces major new mechanics, new locations, new music, etc. There's not many add-ons that can boast that.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
The only problem which is a particular thing with Torna is that it assumes you played(and for the most part) finished the vanilla game. So from a story and lore standpoint it's hard to reccomend to play it without having played the vanilla game. Otherwise I can agree that it was very satisfying.

Also I'm glad I waited to get the Season Pass and ended up getting t the physical edition, heh.

I thought it was a good length. It left me wanting more in a way that the vanilla game didn't.

In my case both left me wanting more, at least both have NG+, so that's something.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I'm having a blast with this game. Just started a few days ago and I'm at 15 hours. I haven't touched the main story in about 5 hours lol

It lets me get a taste of Xenoblade without needing to dedicate 60+ hours, which I'd probably get bored of around hour 40.

There needs to be more RPGs that hit the nice sweet spot of 15-25 hours.

The only problem which is a particular thing with Torna is that it assumes you played(and for the most part) finished the vanilla game. So from a story and lore standpoint it's hard to reccomend to play it without having played the vanilla game. Otherwise I can agree that it was very satisfying.
I've never played Xenoblade 2 and have no desire to do so, and I'm enjoying the story of the game. It actually stands alone just fine.

Last edited:

trippyturtle

Mar 11, 2019
I'm all for shorter RPGs. Was surprised how some of my favorites (Chrono Trigger, for example) are pretty short compared to others.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Most SNES JRPGs were, by today's standards, pretty lean. It was only when extended, fully acted cutscenes became the norm that things started to blossom out of control. Demake something like FFXV as a 16-bit game and it'd lose a lot of length. In fact, it would probably end up surprisingly short!

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Does Torna work as it's own entity though? Or does it only work because of your experience and knowledge from playing Xenoblade 2 first?

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Great read, OP! I would love shorter RPG experiences, because there's often so much padding and the fatigue is inevitable. (I still haven't finished Persona 5, lawd.) Definitely prefer quality over quantity. 20-40 hrs is the sweet spot for me with RPGs - now that I think about it, a lot of Bioware games tend to be at the right length for what I look for in an RPG.

I adored XC1, but ended up having three separate burnouts with the game, and it took me years to finish. I'm really looking forward to playing XC2 and Torna, but it's nice to know Torna will be a lot more manageable in length.

I'd certainly try some jrpgs and more rpgs in general if they were 10-20 hours experiences.

Same here I just do not have the time or energy to delve into a 50-60 hr game these days.

And I don't start JPRGS as I know they'll be dropped as I get too busy 10-12 hrs I'd actually finish one

Absolutely. I'd love to try Pillars of Eternity, or Divinity: Original Sin, etc, or Dragon Quest XI, but the time sink!

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Around 40h is the perfect length for me. You'd think that's already long enough but nowadays it seems every big name RPG has to be 60~100h, and that's exhausting.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I've long been in favour of shorter RPGs. I'll defend a bunch of RPGs (like Persona 5, Xenogears, the Trails series, etc.) for their absurd length, but so many of my favourite RPGs (Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI and VII, Suikoden 2, and Valkyrie Profile) are games that I can easily finish in under 30-40 hours (and some in under 20).

Most SNES JRPGs were, by today's standards, pretty lean. It was only when extended, fully acted cutscenes became the norm that things started to blossom out of control. Demake something like FFXV as a 16-bit game and it'd lose a lot of length. In fact, it would probably end up surprisingly short!

Ha, I finished the main game of Final Fantasy XV in about 24 hours, as is (granted, I hated the game and rushed through much of it).

monapon

Nov 9, 2017
I'm usually in the longer = better camp but I can understand what you're saying. Definitely have had my share of games before where I just sort of got close to the end, decided to try and tackle all content before the final boss, got distracted by something else and never came back. I think for me though, as long as I enjoyed my overall time with the game then I don't consider never finishing it a bad thing plus if I'm really enjoying a game then I want to be able to play that game for hundreds of hours just messing around and completing little things. To be fair though, I don't purchase that many games so it's easier to spend a lot of time in a few games throughout the year - less distractions!

If it helps, you can rush through XC2 NG+ really fast because everything is carried over. I just don't know how much you'd get out of it because there's really not that much added. Personally, I hadn't really intended to do a NG+ of the base game until the Torna ending hit me like a truck even being prepared for it the entire time, and I needed something to wash off that feeling haha. Though a lot of cutscenes really do take on different meanings after Torna which was nice. For XC1, I think a lot of people quit at the Eryth Sea section because the area has a lot of truly empty space thanks to the water focus (hands down the most out of any Xenoblade area for sure - I can get through it really quickly now but my first time through I didn't realize that the map autofills when you've discovered all landmarks so ended up spending a loooooot of time swimming) and the main story winds down a little but the end of that section is a big story push which generally will get people through the next few areas. I love XC1 but it definitely has some pacing issues.

As for recommendations, one that comes to mind would be The Alliance Alive. It's definitely a YMMV game but I enjoyed my time with it, just don't go in expecting anything story-wise. They just announced a HD version though so maybe wait for that instead. Also not an RPG but I've always found visual novel-y type games like the Ace Attorney series to be a great linear, focused experience to play in between hundred hour JRPGs haha.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Waaaay preferred the pace (less padding with no gacha) and scope of Xenoblade 2's Torna episode.

The balance between the party was fantastic and it made most characters a joy to play with.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a good length. It left me wanting more in a way that the vanilla game didn't.
For me, it had more to do with the absence of the blade system. If filling out the fucking affinity charts wasn't so tedious, I think I would have enjoyed the 100 hours I put into XBC2 considerably more. A lot of my problems with the game were corrected in Torna, so I wouldn't have minded that game carrying on for another dozen or so hours. I really enjoyed it.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it had more to do with the absence of the blade system. If filling out the fucking affinity charts wasn't so tedious, I think I would have enjoyed the 100 hours I put into XBC2 considerably more. A lot of my problems with the game were corrected in Torna, so I wouldn't have minded that game carrying on for another dozen or so hours. I really enjoyed it.

One thing that really works in Torna is that since the areas are smaller and have more land marks, all the "defeat X of this specific enemy in this specific location" affinity chart nodes were so much easier to track down.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that really works in Torna is that since the areas are smaller and have more land marks, all the "defeat X of this specific enemy in this specific location" affinity chart nodes were so much easier to track down.

What comparitively few affinity charts there were in Torna were perfectly fine. But some of the ones in the original game were ridiculous. Especially Ursula's. Jesus Christ...

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely appreciated the environment scale of Torna. It's grand enough to leave an impression, but not so much so that navigating is overly long. It also felt more densely packed than what was in X2.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Monolith Soft couldnt have made a jrpg like Torna if they didnt make XC 2 first. their next game is going to be over a 100 hours long but hopefully that gets a tight short expansion like Torna.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Modern jRPGs aren't bad just because of their length, but their length certainly contributes. The PSX era was really where things spiraled out of control. There were some games that managed to reign things in and keep it to a reasonable length, but many created events that had no sense of how to tie things together. Over the years, it's only gotten worse. And honestly, I'd argue that's true of most games. Creators have simply lost a sense of how much is enough and the answer lately is, "it's never enough." With the endgame being farcical gacha garbage.

edit: Actually, I think that's really exemplified by Chrono Trigger on Steam. The game on Steam is 820MB. The original game is 4MB! Think about how much you have to inflate everything to get to that point, and how much less efficient we are than we once were. It's strange and absurd to me.

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Modern jRPGs aren't bad just because of their length, but their length certainly contributes. The PSX era was really where things spiraled out of control. There were some games that managed to reign things in and keep it to a reasonable length, but many created events that had no sense of how to tie things together. Over the years, it's only gotten worse. And honestly, I'd argue that's true of most games. Creators have simply lost a sense of how much is enough and the answer lately is, "it's never enough." With the endgame being farcical gacha garbage.

Yeah. Non-indie games are having a real problem with content bloat (or rather "content" bloat), and I get wanting to provide a lot of bang for the buck, but on the other hand it usually ends up being repetitive nonsense that doesn't really improve the game, but does pad out that play time!

OP
OP
ghibli99

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all of the responses so far! While I'm not responding to everyone, know that I'm reading them all. :)

I just played Ys VIII, and it took me ~45 hours, so OP's mileage may vary. Great game, though, even if the Switch port is shockingly bad.

OP, you might also consider Tangledeep. It's a shorter turn-based dungeon crawler RPG. Story is ~20 hours, though its gameplay loop can be enjoyed infinitely. Beautiful pixel art, well-written dialogue, amazing OST, deep job system and build customization, monster taming.

Cosmic Star Heroine is definitely what you're asking for. Very fun game. If anything, its pace is a bit too brisk, with plots and characters zooming by with no room to breathe. I'd also put forward the Banner Saga series for ~10 hour stories that are well-paced. Biggest dislike I had with them is that the combat, while well-thought-out, was a bit too dry.
Appreciate the response... I was wondering if you might venture in here after my thread about Octopath. Feel kinda bad that I gave up on it, but when I was struggling to get through the Chapter 2 content, with one literally putting me to sleep, I had to throw in the towel. Glad I played what I did though, and even though I didn't have the most positive experience, I think they'll continue to refine and evolve things on their next title, so I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks for the recommendation on Tangledeep! Pretty sure this was part of the recent Humble Monthly, so I'll install it soon and give it a shot. I do have Cosmic Star Heroine installed on my Switch, so depending on how XC3D goes, I might hop into that one next. I've played a little bit of the first Banner Saga, but it didn't really click. For some reason, grid-based strategy games and me don't usually mix (Mario + Rabbids was a rare exception).

But you know what really impresses me about Torna? And it isn't just that it manages to deliver a satisfying JRPG experience in 20 to 30 hours.

It's how Monolith Soft refined the Xenoblade 2 formula after the original 2017 release.

It's an incredible achievement by the studio and shows that they listened to the criticism. Across the board, it lacks the depth of the main game - but it compliments it nicely.

As an expansion it's stellar. It sheds light on the events before the base game, introduces major new mechanics, new locations, new music, etc. There's not many add-ons that can boast that.
Really well said! I rolled my eyes at first when I saw that affinity charts and field skills were a part of this (I struggled and had to "catch up" with them in the base game), but the compact/focused nature of Torna meant that filling out the charts and getting the field skills I needed was a relatively painless, natural, and easy affair. It actually made me want to fire up the base game to see if I could make progress on my party's charts/skills, which is kind of amazing to realize since I have spoken repeatedly about how much I hated field skills in XC2. And thankfully, yes, Blade gacha is gone. I don't mind rare drops in games, but with a pretty core system (literally) like that, I just found it to be obnoxious. Unsurprisingly, I'm still missing quite a few rare Blades. :(

It did make certain scenes carry more weight, but by the same token, I could see playing Torna first given scenes in XB2 that added layer of context that might otherwise not be there, so I think it works both ways.

Yep, it's crazy how quickly I can blast through SNES RPGs, even doing most side content (which never really felt like side content in the modern sense), but with games such as FF7 and Chrono Cross, cinematic presentation and other distractions really did make these games take longer to play through. I mean, some of my fondest memories are from that era, but that time investment and pacing is what prevents me from going back to them the way I can with the 16-bit games.

I adored XC1, but ended up having three separate burnouts with the game, and it took me years to finish. I'm really looking forward to playing XC2 and Torna, but it's nice to know Torna will be a lot more manageable in length.
Uh oh, that doesn't sound like a good omen with regards to my current adventures in XC3D. LOL

If it helps, you can rush through XC2 NG+ really fast because everything is carried over. I just don't know how much you'd get out of it because there's really not that much added. Personally, I hadn't really intended to do a NG+ of the base game until the Torna ending hit me like a truck even being prepared for it the entire time, and I needed something to wash off that feeling haha. Though a lot of cutscenes really do take on different meanings after Torna which was nice. For XC1, I think a lot of people quit at the Eryth Sea section because the area has a lot of truly empty space thanks to the water focus (hands down the most out of any Xenoblade area for sure - I can get through it really quickly now but my first time through I didn't realize that the map autofills when you've discovered all landmarks so ended up spending a loooooot of time swimming) and the main story winds down a little but the end of that section is a big story push which generally will get people through the next few areas. I love XC1 but it definitely has some pacing issues.

As for recommendations, one that comes to mind would be The Alliance Alive. It's definitely a YMMV game but I enjoyed my time with it, just don't go in expecting anything story-wise. They just announced a HD version though so maybe wait for that instead. Also not an RPG but I've always found visual novel-y type games like the Ace Attorney series to be a great linear, focused experience to play in between hundred hour JRPGs haha.
Appreciate the insight on XC2's NG+. Regarding Eryth Sea, I swam around for a little bit, but when I saw how little ground (water) I covered after a few minutes, I just warped back to the center and started exploring the various hovering platforms. It was surprising how few resource points there are in the water, which is perhaps a hint that I shouldn't be swimming around. Odd though, given that other water areas have numerous points and stuff to find.

Also, that's good to know about the landmarks! Had no idea that's how it worked. :)

Thanks for the recommendations as well! Never heard of Alliance Alive, so I'll look into that one. Phoenix Wright 1 felt like a really loooong game on the DS when I played it. Something about that last trial (which I think was a bonus?) kinda made me feel like the game had worn out its welcome. But it is a series I want to get back to.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I would use Torna as an argument in favor of shorter RPGs.

It can be a standalone game, sure. But I think it is greatly enhanced by its relationship with the main game. Would I have cared as much about Mythra and Jin in Torna if I hadn't spent 70+ hours with the characters in the main game? I don't think so.

My point is, I'm not convinced that shorter RPGs will be able to make me care as much about the characters as long ones. Maybe if the writing is really good.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in favor, even though I still enjoy long JRPGs.

After all, one of the best JRPGs ever made still today is Chrono Trigger and yet it's one of the shortest I ever played, if not the shortest.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Modern RPGs are too long for my liking.
I think 10-20 hours is the ideal most of the time

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the response... I was wondering if you might venture in here after my thread about Octopath. Feel kinda bad that I gave up on it, but when I was struggling to get through the Chapter 2 content, with one literally putting me to sleep, I had to throw in the towel. Glad I played what I did though, and even though I didn't have the most positive experience, I think they'll continue to refine and evolve things on their next title, so I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks for the recommendation on Tangledeep! Pretty sure this was part of the recent Humble Monthly, so I'll install it soon and give it a shot. I do have Cosmic Star Heroine installed on my Switch, so depending on how XC3D goes, I might hop into that one next. I've played a little bit of the first Banner Saga, but it didn't really click. For some reason, grid-based strategy games and me don't usually mix (Mario + Rabbids was a rare exception).

No worries there. :P I may love Octopath, but I recognize it's a somewhat divisive game. All I can do is try to help people enjoy it as much as I did, but ultimately it won't click with everyone, and that's okay. Thankfully, if you ever want to give it another shot or finish a particular character tale, it's pretty tailor-made to pick up and play in hour chunks while getting a full bite of story.

As for Tangledeep, I'm not sure if you're familiar with Mystery Dungeon / roguelike games — I wasn't until recently — but it's very beginner friendly. Technically it's turn-based and grid-based, but not in the same way as something like Banner Saga. Ten turns (where everyone acts at once) could pass in as many seconds, so it's very fast-paced, but turns allow breathing room unlike action-based games. And yeah, it was $1 in the recent humble bundle.

OP
OP
ghibli99

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Both are pretty cheap, even on Amazon! I highly recommend Pandora's Tower (you can even get it new for under 60€)!
That's good to know! I'll take a look and maybe I'll "double dip" in a sense. LOL

Definitely. This made quests a lot less painful, even the ones that sent you on like 5+ different errands. :) This is why I'll always support fast travel in games like this. The thought of running clear across the map in the name of immersion just doesn't do it for me.

I feel like Monolith Soft couldnt have made a jrpg like Torna if they didnt make XC 2 first. their next game is going to be over a 100 hours long but hopefully that gets a tight short expansion like Torna.
This is a good point, and as others have mentioned, it shows that they were listening to player feedback. It's tough... when you make a game that at a minimum is going to take a player 60+ hours to get through, keeping content engaging is going to be a challenge. I thought DQ11 did a good job splitting the content into its three acts. It still took me 110 hours to platinum the darn thing though, but for some reason that game kept me engaged the entire way, probably because it didn't inundate me with tons of different systems, and the ones that were in there I found to be simple to understand and fun (crafting, gambling, finding mini medals, etc.).

There were some games that managed to reign things in and keep it to a reasonable length, but many created events that had no sense of how to tie things together. Over the years, it's only gotten worse. And honestly, I'd argue that's true of most games. Creators have simply lost a sense of how much is enough and the answer lately is, "it's never enough." With the endgame being farcical gacha garbage.
I played through Assassin's Creed Origins recently, and with the two expansions, it took me about 95 hours, which in hindsight seems pretty "efficient". :) There was a point around the 20 hour mark where I looked at the map and almost quit just because it seemed like it would take me until the end of time to do everything. But I kept going, and am glad I did, because I ended up really enjoying it. That second expansion was pretty special too. Then I started Odyssey shortly thereafter, and it seems like it's even bigger, with more layering of systems and things to keep track of that weren't in Origins, and I'm feeling a bit discouraged.

I'm not sure I would use Torna as an argument in favor of shorter RPGs.

It can be a standalone game, sure. But I think it is greatly enhanced by its relationship with the main game. Would I have cared as much about Mythra and Jin in Torna if I hadn't spent 70+ hours with the characters in the main game? I don't think so.

My point is, I'm not convinced that shorter RPGs will be able to make me care as much about the characters as long ones. Maybe if the writing is really good.
While I can see that, I think the Torna expansion was smart in the way it focused on Lora and Jin, but in a more general sense, the relationship between humans, Blades, the persistence of memory, and the general human condition of wondering what happens when we die, regardless of belief. It's a concept that I think resonated more with me in this expansion than it did in the base game, which again, I think could lend a lot more weight to the base game's story if you play Torna first. Dang, now I'm thinking I might have to NG+ XC2. LOL

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Torna was great. Pretty much an improvement over everything that XC2 offered. I really liked how less possible party members meant that they could write actual script parts for each character rather than the generic blade lines in XC2.

I definitely did not enjoy having to complete parts of the community system just to progress through the story though. Felt like filler for what would otherwise be a much shorter game.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

It's technically an expansion but might as well be it's own game. You can actually buy Torna physical standalone. The combat is very different from the main game, as well as many mechanics in the game in general.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I played through Assassin's Creed Origins recently, and with the two expansions, it took me about 95 hours, which in hindsight seems pretty "efficient". :) There was a point around the 20 hour mark where I looked at the map and almost quit just because it seemed like it would take me until the end of time to do everything. But I kept going, and am glad I did, because I ended up really enjoying it. That second expansion was pretty special too. Then I started Odyssey shortly thereafter, and it seems like it's even bigger, with more layering of systems and things to keep track of that weren't in Origins, and I'm feeling a bit discouraged.
I just can't do that with games anymore. It's so rare now for a game to really remain fascinating after around 40 hours. I'm not saying it doesn't happen on occasion, but it's increasingly rare. The difficulty here is creating mechanics and then evolving them or having a writer that's actually competent (and good writers are like lightning in a bottle now - the writing in video games has become just awful lately - I really can't point to a modern RPG that I remember for its writing).

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
More and more, I think there's a huge potential market for bite-sized RPGs that isn't being met by the marketplace.

I'd like to play Torna because it sounds much better than XC2 (which I didn't like), but I feel like I have to finish XC2 to get the most out of it.