• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who stopped playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at chapter 4 due to burn out, I feel I am unlikely to pick back up the game again due to all the battle system mechanics that I have forgotten about by now. As such, I am thinking about picking up Torna as a way to ease myself back into the game series with its shorter play time and all. Maybe it can serve as a catalyst for me to get back to Xenoblade Chronicles 2. What do you guys think about that? Good idea? Bad idea? Bad spoilers?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Is this an image you get when you 100% Torna? I don't remember seeing this.
Yes, that's from reaching community level 6.

As somebody who stopped playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at chapter 4 due to burn out, I feel I am unlikely to pick back up the game again due to all the battle system mechanics that I have forgotten about by now. As such, I am thinking about picking up Torna as a way to ease myself back into the game series with its shorter play time and all. Maybe it can serve as a catalyst for me to get back to Xenoblade Chronicles 2. What do you guys think about that? Good idea? Bad idea? Bad spoilers?

I wouldn't recommend it. Torna refined XC2's battle system, and included some mechanics that aren't present in the main game, so going from Torna from XC2 may cause you more harm than good. Plus, Torna's endgame is based on you having already beaten XC2 or being at the endgame, so you'll have some pretty big spoilers that will probably won't make sense.

I'd recommend going to the Gormott plains or Gormott forest and practicing some basic battle skills there, and watching some video on YouTube if you're still with doubts about the battle system. It seems complicated, but once you get back on the swing of things, you'll probably remember it again.

Last edited:

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I think it's a good idea. Completing Torna reenergized me enough to finish up the side quests in the vanilla game. You might see yourself wanting to finish the fight after completing Torna.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not finished with Torna yet, but I'm finding the game SO boring. I'm at the big town where you have to so side quests to raise your community level. But yeah. I'm just finding the story to be so much of nothing exciting happening. I LOVED XB2, so I am a minority in this thread, as I have not enjoyed Torna more.

I don't think I'm going to finish it. But I need to give it another chance I guess. I'm not real invested in Addam or Lorena , I think they're just whatever characters. I thought Rex and Nia made better travel companions.
well you are already basically at the end so very well may finish it.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
well you are already basically at the end so very well may finish it.
Oh really? Damn. That's a short game! LOL

Like, basically nothing has happened in the whole game up until now!? Seriously the story was been "We need to go after Malos!!" ... and then... we're still chasing him. We picked up a few party members a long the way, told some stories, but just chasing after Malos.

Okay I'm just going to watch the ending on YouTube then. Thanks!

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh really? Damn. That's a short game! LOL

Like, basically nothing has happened in the whole game up until now!? Seriously the story was been "We need to go after Malos!!" ... and then... we're still chasing him. We picked up a few party members a long the way, told some stories, but just chasing after Malos.

Okay I'm just going to watch the ending on YouTube then. Thanks!
well id say that beating some of the bosses is really satisfying. but if you dont enjoy the battlesystem...

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
thanks for the answer, I don't think I am going to ever play xc2 (not enough time anymore,sadly) so, since it's a prequel, I might go for Torna alone
I feel like its a bit disengious to call this a prequel. I feel like they throw a lot at you, and expect you to know what they're talking about because it was explained in the main game. Its a sequel in it's time order, but I don't know if that makes it a good standalone experience, because I think the game expects you to know about the world as it was presented in XBC2.

But maybe somebody in this thread who has only played Torna could confirm that.