• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
bout-right-there-all-animals-want-to-live-where-do-29959679.png

I'd eat them all.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Animals don't have the mental capacity to empathize with their prey (could be I'm unaware to exceptions), nor do they have the luxury to do so. We eat as much meat as we do and produce so much because we like it, nothing else.

Should humans empathize with mass-produced smart phones too? Most animals consumed by humans only existed because they were born on a farm to eventually be slaughtered for food and/or used for resources. That is their entire purpose.

Besides that, cutting down on meat production would go a long way to solving the hunger problem in the world as what normally goes to feed a pig or a cow to slaughtering weight can go to humans instead.

Yes, because humans are ready to line up and eat animal byproducts, bland grains, grass, and other animal feed. You said it yourself -- humans consume meat because they demand it. I don't see such a demand for food compatible with veganism, even if that animal feed production was retooled to more human-compatible food.

And it would also help extremely in cutting down on emissions that will affect everybody sooner rather than later.
https://www.skepticalscience.com/how-much-meat-contribute-to-gw.html
For example, in the USA, fossil fuels are responsible for over 10 times more human-caused greenhouse gas emissions than animal agriculture.

Why not place more emphasis on fossil fuel usage reduction instead? Your efforts could make a much larger difference on the environment focusing there.

So I can't really understand how you do not see the moral aspect to this, in regards to animals and in regards to our fellow humans.
And I do not understand why you feel you have the right to be an arbiter of other people's diets and choices. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
And I should trust that these guys don't do that because "reasons" because it's in the restaurant's "core concepts" like nobody has ever lied about anything for publicity. Did y'all know Mcdonalds serves fresh beef.
I dunno, maybe go ask yourself instead of just assuming he's lying? Just sounds like you're coming up with new goalposts to dislike what he's doing.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Just militant vegans. People that choose a way of life should really stop trying to convert others. It's a personal choice issue. The restaurant actually has some non meat options.

I found out about this story from a girl I've been taking to and just based on these idiots, we decide to go try the restaurant.

I don't even eat meat, I'm going to go have one of their veggie dishes. But fuck militant anyone, specially militant vegans, go live your own life and stop worrying about what others choose

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I should trust that these guys don't do that because "reasons" because it's in the restaurant's "core concepts" like nobody has ever lied about anything for publicity. Did y'all know Mcdonalds serves fresh beef.
We get it, eating meat is bad, everybody that does so is bad, everybody lies.

This is why these threads constantly go nowhere, at some point "okay fair enough I don't agree but that's what he claims to want so I believe it" needs to enter into the dialogue. You're not even being consistent in your position now.

Rah rah meat eating is vile replete with "I drive a hybrid" sentiment and moral pontification wears thin.

I had horse once in Italy. Tough and gamey. Definitely wouldn't choose to eat again.
It's a hit or miss thing really. Probably had a bad cut.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because they know they can't get big restaurants to give in to them... so they harass small businesses. They even say "we can't get McDonalds to change, but we can get a small place to"

The article even states that the restaurant owner

- Kills animals ethically and is against the use of slaughterhouses and uses local game
- Has vegan options

The protesters are literally harassing a small business and trying to get him to stop serving meat all together.
If they were only protesting some like foie gras and knew for sure it was inhumane then I'd be fine. But yeah they just seem like assholes so...
You can humanely produce foie gras by letting the goose eat freely, it just technically couldn't be call foie gras if produced/served in France.
Really now? Huh. So the standards are higher in France? If you just fed geese regularly it could still be called foie gras? Interesting.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Should humans empathize with mass-produced smart phones too? Most animals consumed by humans only existed because they were born on a farm to eventually be slaughtered for food. That is their entire purpose.
Comparing an animal with an inanimate object, real sound logic there.

Yes, because humans are ready to line up and eat animal byproducts, bland grains, grass, and other animal feed. You said it yourself -- humans consume meat because they demand it. I don't see such a demand for food compatible with veganism.
And that makes it better how? It's not moral for a significant part of the population to starve so others can eat meat.

Why not place more emphasis on fossil fuel usage reduction instead? Your efforts could make a much larger difference on the environment focusing there.
I never said we shouldn't? Your own link says that meat production is a significant factor. It's naturally also relevant.

And I do not understand why you feel you have the right to be an arbiter of other people's diets and choices. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
I never told anybody what to eat, don't put words in my mouth. You said there's no difference in morals there. There is.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The nature argument is so silly.

"Animals eat animals all the time! It's just nature, can't fight how nature works."

(He says, typing into his smartphone, driving his car to and from his huge office building, wearing clothes from artificial fibers made continents away, his body fully vaccinated, bottles of medicine and antiseptic in his glovebox.)

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Just militant vegans. People that choose a way of life should really stop trying to convert others. It's a personal choice issue. The restaurant actually has some non meat options.

I found out about this story from a girl I've been taking to and just based on these idiots, we decide to go try the restaurant.

I don't even eat meat, I'm going to go have one of their veggie dishes. But fuck militant anyone, specially militant vegans, go live your own life and stop worrying about what others choose

You really, really need to google the word "millitant" because you seem to think that it means "people who protest"?

Like, it's a pretty simple fact that the world would be in a way, way, way better position if we would seriously limit and/or quit our excessive meat consumption. You don't even have to look at it from an animal rights perspective, you could just look at it from a "preservation of the planet"-perspective. The absolutely staggering amount of farmland necessary to feed the cattle, let alone their direct impact on the environment, should be enough argument, really.

Note: I eat meat. Because I'm willfully ignorant and, so far, didn't put in the effort to make the necessary changes to my lifestyle. But those people protesting? We should probably all be there with them.

Bionet

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta do something like this the next time there's a thread bitching about loot boxes! :D Does opening 5 loot boxes a thread sound reasonable? Those kinds of theads pop up kind of frequently.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing an animal with an inanimate object, real sound logic there.
I said it before in this topic -- I'm all for responsible sourcing of animals and humane treatment/slaughter. What goes on at many large companies who process animals is disgusting and immoral. But, these animals are not sentient. They are not people. They are tools and they are raw materials for food.

EDIT:
Poor choice of wording on my part. Animals can definitely feel (sentience), but I'd still argue that common farm animals (cows, pigs, chickens, etc.) raised for slaughter are not intelligent enough to be self-aware. As I mentioned in previous posts in this thread, I am all for humane treatment and slaughter practices -- but I still do not believe eating animals specifically raised to be slaughtered is inherently immoral or less morale than avoiding meat.

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Murder only applies to the taking of another human life, protesters. At least be correct semantically.
I agree, this drives me nuts. Just emotionally manipulative.

You really, really need to google the word "millitant" because you seem to think that it means "people who protest"?
MY MAN. "favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause."
Literally
these people.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
HAHAHA. Why the heck would you not eat horses or rabbit? Horse Leberkäse = awesome.

I take the dangers of industrial meat farming very seriously.
Ethical problems with meat consumption in general, under any circumstance? Nope.

I suggest you go and bring their evil lies to light, then. Before that, you shouldn't make wild accusations, because non-force fed foie gras is becoming more and more popular.
How is it a wild accusation? An industry standard is an industry standard, it's up to them to prove they are going against the norm.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
How is it a wild accusation? An industry standard is an industry standard, it's up to them to prove they are going against the norm.
So if something says "vegan" on the menu, you don't believe it until you've seen the cooking process? Get outta here with this kind of reasoning.
You want them to be cruel, so you assume they are cruel. Maybe you're even right. But burden of proof doesn't work the way you're using it.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I agree, this drives me nuts. Just emotionally manipulative.

MY MAN. "favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause."
Literally
these people.

That's not what protesting is. Would you say that the Women's March was "militant" because they "confronted" Trump with the issues they have with them? Would you describe any and all protests as "militant"?

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there is no way to ethically kill something...
It is more ethical to kill deer in many places than let them live and starve to death slowly as they are, in many cases, an invasive species. Either way they die, but it's more ethical to make it as quick and painless as possible as well as to have a productive use of their body after death.

Oct 26, 2017
I truly feel what the chef did is a form of counter-protesting, and he was well within his right to do so (without being an asshole). Not to be a stick in the mud though, but hero? Come on. The French officer who traded his life for a hostage is a hero. Or the Parkland student who held the door open for students to escape. Let's not be silly with the word. Some people actually deserve to be called heroes.

That's my quick old man rant.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Really now? Huh. So the standards are higher in France? If you just fed geese regularly it could still be called foie gras? Interesting.

You have to provide a fatty diet, but you don't have to forcefeed. There's goose farms in Spain that provide olives, acorns, and figs for their geese to eat. They naturally fatten up on the rich food when they are preparing to migrate, which gives them the fatty liver that people are looking for.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
why would you protest a small urban restaurant instead of taking aim at something that actually matters like mass factory farming

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017

how do you even function with this mentality? if everyone is lying, i'm sure you make your only clothes, grow all your own food, generate your own power, and make your own electronics.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
That's not what protesting is. Would you say that the Women's March was "militant" because they "confronted" Trump with the issues they have with them? Would you describe any and all protests as "militant"?
Those questions hardly matter to me, I don't call them militant. You asked him to google "militant", and now you're not happy with the definition? I was just pointing out he was using the word correctly.
EDIT: In this situation, yes. The difference between a "normal" and a "militant" vegan would be their approach to protest.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I truly feel what the chef did is a form of counter-protesting, and he was well within his right to do so (without being an asshole). Not to be a stick in the mud though, but hero? Come on. The French officer who traded his life for a hostage is a hero. Or the Parkland student who held the door open for students to escape. Let's not be silly with the word. Some people actually deserve to be called heroes.

That's my quick old man rant.
I'm guessing the OP or anyone in this thread doesn't literally think the chef is a hero.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We get it, eating meat is bad, everybody that does so is bad, everybody lies.

This is why these threads constantly go nowhere, at some point "okay fair enough I don't agree but that's what he claims to want so I believe it" needs to enter into the dialogue. You're not even being consistent in your position now.

Rah rah meat eating is vile replete with "I drive a hybrid" sentiment and moral pontification wears thin.

It's a hit or miss thing really. Probably had a bad cut.
I'm being perfectly consistent in not believing somebody out for profits when they say something generic about how it's ethical. If this were about anything other than meat people would agree "don't trust companies" but since it is I'm expected to just believe that things are fine and they are going against the standard just because they say so.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Apparently they are protesting smaller businesses because the protestors feel that it is futile to attempt and sway larger corporations (e.g., McDonalds). So instead of going after the companies that source animals from mass-production "farms" and such, they go after the small businesses which actually source food locally and (hopefully) from responsible producers. Talk about misplaced effort.

yep. very well put.

Status
Not open for further replies.