• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2017
http://nationalpost.com/news/toront...imal-rights-protesters-outside-his-restaurant

A Toronto chef, apparently exasperated at an animal rights protest outside his restaurant, carried what appeared to be a leg of raw venison to the front windows facing the sidewalk. As the protesters watched, he took a knife and began separating the meat from the bone.

This is high-level trolling. The best part is the dude's name, Michael Hunter.

More details, and a hilarious pic, at the link.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
meat-1.png

meat-2.png

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So why are they protesting? The article basically says because he serves meat, even though everything he serves is sourced himself from local farms and game hunting. Which is... fine? I thought.

People are weird.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know that meat was the best he ever had.

One day, you will have a meal this satisfying.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This protest probably drew more people to eat at that restaurant. It's like free publicity

Oct 25, 2017
What a bunch of shitty people. Leave the dude alone. Picking on him specifically because he's a small business they think they can manipulate.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
It was about the fifth time protesters had gathered outside Antler on Dundas Street West, chanting slogans like "Antler has blood on their hands" and holding signs that say Murder. (The initial intent was to stage weekly protests starting in December, after a sandwich board reading Venison is the New Kale drew the ire of activists, though cold weather dashed those plans.)

lol

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
They were protesting that he serves foie gras. Which is a reasonable thing. I love the fuck out of meat and have an immature hatred for snotty vegans, but foie gras is next level cruelty.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So why are they protesting? The article basically says because he serves meat, even though everything he serves is sourced himself from local farms and game hunting. Which is... fine? I thought.

People are weird.

But the fact that Antler is a small establishment touting ethical meat is exactly why protesters selected it. First, the bigger chains like McDonald's don't listen. "I won't get through to them," Ugar said. Second, they believe the concept of humane meat is a myth and see Antler as an opportunity to debunk it. They're particularly perturbed about Antler's use of foie gras, the production of which can involve force feeding geese.
Apparently they are protesting smaller businesses because the protestors feel that it is futile to attempt and sway larger corporations (e.g., McDonalds). So instead of going after the companies that source animals from mass-production "farms" and such, they go after the small businesses which actually source food locally and (hopefully) from responsible producers. Talk about misplaced effort.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
Humans are omnivores, it's what we do. People can protest some of the inhumane practices of meat companies, but why a restaurant just for serving meat?

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently they are protesting smaller businesses because the protestors feel that it is futile to attempt and sway larger corporations (e.g., McDonalds). So instead of going after the companies that source animals from mass-production "farms" and such, they go after the small businesses which actually source food locally and (hopefully) from responsible producers. Talk about misplaced effort.

Man shit like this just makes me want to eat there lol.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
It was about the fifth time protesters had gathered outside Antler on Dundas Street West, chanting slogans like "Antler has blood on their hands" and holding signs that say Murder. (The initial intent was to stage weekly protests starting in December, after a sandwich board reading Venison is the New Kale drew the ire of activists, though cold weather dashed those plans.)

"We care about animals but not enough to go out in the cold"

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I get older and consume less and less meat, I don't necessarily sympathize more with vegans like the ones in this story, but I always feel conflicted. On one hand I'm a hypocrite because I still consume chicken and rarely some red meat but I feel awful about the idea of animals dying. I'm not sure how to reconcile that without going completely vegetarian. I also hate when people gloat that they're eating meat, in the same way I hate when people try to dictate how and what you should eat (like the protestors in this story). The former feels like a lack of compassion, while the latter is an unnecessary intrusion into your life.

In other words, I'm all forms conflicted. Sigh.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The animal rights activists usually do more harm when they pull these kinds pr stunts especially when they personalize the issue by attacking someone's livelihood.

Glad the chef turned their PR game against them.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
So fucking weak. They are defeatist cowards. If you are too afraid to go after the real enemies atleast protest restaurants that don't ethically source their meat.

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it's because big corps have the resources and money to fight back and bury you in legal costs.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vegans, christ. Proto-Army of the Twelve Monkeys.

This restaurant is doing it right, local, sustainable, humane. Yet the protesters, seeking attention and not getting any when outside a McDonalds, protest this guy's restaurant.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Humans are omnivores, it's what we do. People can protest some of the inhumane practices of meat companies, but why a restaurant just for serving meat?
Human are not doing what's "natural" in a number of other cases, so I don't see why human diet should be an exception to that.

That said this kind of protest is stupid af. Targeting a small business will lead to exactly nothing positive.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of when Bobby eats the huge steak in front of his vegetarian ex on King of the Hill. I can't find any good gifs or videos of it unfortunately.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
Human are not doing what's "natural" in a number of other cases, so I don't see why human diet should be an exception to that.

That said this kind of protest is stupid af. Targeting a small business will lead to exactly nothing positive.

Oh come on let's not do this...it's physically natural, you have teeth specifically meant for tearing into flesh (and biting into veggies and grinding food). It's as natural as using your sex parts to make babies.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Oh come on let's not do this...it's physically natural, you have teeth specifically meant for tearing into flesh (and biting into veggies and grinding food). It's as natural as using your sex parts to make babies.
You defeated your own argument there. Many people choose to not do the latter in their lifetime. Fact is, humans don't have to adhere to "nature" if they don't want to. Morals aren't natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.