• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keeng

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah the 4th works for me, and it's a long weekend, and it marks the end of a work contract I'm tired of - so I can celebrate.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I went in on the 11th, but I dont know my august schedule yet, so I'll keep up on that and let the official thread know.

also: What is going on downtown? assume terrorist/bomb threat?

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Figuring it's a very publicly visible reaction to a smaller-scale (van-attack-style) threat. I work DT in a major/iconic venue and we're vigilant, but not freaking out.

Dobby

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is going to be a SUPER long shot but -- does anyone happen to know if there was a celebrity at the Shangri-La Hotel downtown this evening around 7:30pm?

I was walking by and had one of those "OOHH that guy!" moments but now I can't find his name online and it's annoying the crap out of me.

- Tall white guy, definitely over 6 feet tall
- Looks like he's in his early 40s
- Could pass for Aaron Paul's older brother
- Wild unkempt grey hair (the kind of grey hair that doesn't match a person's age... "oh he greyed young") in an up-style, kinda like this

I'm trying to remember where I've seen him before. I could have sworn he's played a B-tier dirty cop on a show before, but I have no clue. There was a group of people taking pictures with him. The fans looked like they dressed in all black, kinda emo/goth/rocker style, if that helps to determine who his fanbase would be. He could be in a rock band for all I know.

Oh well. Thought it would be fun to see if anyone knows who I'm talking about :p

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure but could be a star that was filming at temperance/bay today. There's a lot of filming going on there today. Not sure what it was for

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Fresh meat is always welcome.
2683.jpg

Actual footage from TorontoEra Meetup

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All the violence this year has been very demoralizing.

I know this city get the occasional spikes of violence and is still statistically safer than most places in the world but it still gets to you, you know?

I'm right now trying to book an appointment to donate blood. It's the least I can do.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
All the violence this year has been very demoralizing.

I know this city get the occasional spikes of violence and is still statistically safer than most places in the world but it still gets to you, you know?

I'm right now trying to book an appointment to donate blood. It's the least I can do.
Gun violence has statistically increased this year.

Some disenfranchised folk are feeling emboldened to take their frustrations out on innocent people. It's impossible to demonstrate causality, but my hunch is that the flurry of cross-cutting, manosphere groups are energizing youth into doing stupid things under the premises that the systems that be are working against men.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys! So I am looking into getting transfered to my company's Toronto office as soon as by the end of this year. I've never been to Canada before and this move has been something I've been eyeing for many years now, so this is a pretty big deal (assuming everything goes according to plan).

I know it's kinda early to start planning and stuff, but I still wanted to get a feel of things in advance. So I have a couple of questions for anyone willing to answer. I did google most of these, of course, but I'd appreciate and prefer firsthand answers from real people!

1) What are the best sites for apartment hunting purposes?

2) My office would be smack dab in the middle of the financial district (King Street West). Assuming I want to keep my commute in the max 30 min range which neighborhoods would you guys recommend I look around in? The closer the better, of course, but I assume that stuff gets more expensive the closer it is to downtown.

3) Approximately how much, aside from rent, would I wind up spending on utilities in a one bedroom apartment for one dude?

4) And how much would a good fiber internet connection and a decent mobile data plan for my phone cost me per month?

5) Is there any personal advice and or opinions you guys wanna share about moving to Toronto? Anything is welcome.

Thanks in advance guys!

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Spikematic first of all, welcome aboard! Hope you'll like it here! I'll try to answer what I can on your questions.

4. Depends on what's your budget is? I don't know where you from but I hope you are ready to be shock on the prices of our mobile and internet.

You can try and check big companies like Rogers and Bell. They usually are good for new customers. There are also small companies like carry Tel, teksavvy or Fido for home internet. You could probably get a decent price for like $50/month with decent speed. There's a company called beanfield metroconnect, probably the best internet provider out there but it is limited to condos or few apartment. If your postal code is of those area then you should for them. As for mobile, try checking those small companies like Fido, koodo and virgin mobile and see what price you are interested. Right now, it is $50 for 2gb. Probably too much from you but that's how it is here.

Edit: oh. Freedom mobile could be a good option too.

5. As someone who is moving to Canada for the first time, be ready to see how expensive our goods and services are. It is super hot in summer and it is super cold in winter in Toronto. Our city is multi-cultural and diverse. If you are a minority, you wouldn't have any problem in here.

Sorry I can't answer some of your questions as I have no idea on it.

Last edited:

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys! So I am looking into getting transfered to my company's Toronto office as soon as by the end of this year. I've never been to Canada before and this move has been something I've been eyeing for many years now, so this is a pretty big deal (assuming everything goes according to plan).

I know it's kinda early to start planning and stuff, but I still wanted to get a feel of things in advance. So I have a couple of questions for anyone willing to answer. I did google most of these, of course, but I'd appreciate and prefer firsthand answers from real people!

2) My office would be smack dab in the middle of the financial district (King Street West). Assuming I want to keep my commute in the max 30 min range which neighborhoods would you guys recommend I look around in? The closer the better, of course, but I assume that stuff gets more expensive the closer it is to downtown.

3) Approximately how much, aside from rent, would I wind up spending on utilities in a one bedroom apartment for one dude?

4) And how much would a good fiber internet connection and a decent mobile data plan for my phone cost me per month?

5) Is there any personal advice and or opinions you guys wanna share about moving to Toronto? Anything is welcome.

Thanks in advance guys!
With respect to apartment hunting, www.padmapper.com aggregates postings from multiple websites (but make sure to click-through craiglist links for pictures because they can't embed them like other sites) and www.viewit.ca for apartments specifically, but usually not the cheapest ones because landlords pay to list. You can then use Google maps to calculate walking distance, or if public transit is necessary, figure out if or budget for the necessity of buying monthly TTC passes (~$150/mo).

Utilities depends, because they might be included in where you live and depends on what you use. I live in a 2-bedroom and we pay about $40 total for hydro per month.

Cripplegate

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I am literally moving right now, don't know how much my experience will help, but:

I was recommended viewit.ca but I also used condos.ca. Padmapper, which enzo recommended, is also useful (and I found the latter two more useful than viewit overall).

You can browse stuff like craigslist and kijiji to get a feel for things, too, though it sounds like you already have an idea of what you want, a 1br, and just need to think about neighbourhood. Given your office location and desired commute time, you can get reasonably outside of the core. I actually plan on living in that area, but work in Rosedale. I'd have a five minute walk to the subway, and maybe a 15 minute ride to work, so 20 minutes overall to get from downtown (financial district) to midtown (rosedale). You can check out Yonge & Eglinton, as that keeps you in striking distance (just under 30min) and also outside of the core, if that's important. I was looking at this area briefly and there are certainly places available for decent, or cheaper, prices compared to the core. The difference isn't as big as you might think, though, so it's certainly a matter of hunting around. If you have a budget in mind already that would help. Living in the core is certainly possible, if that's something you want.

There are literally condos everywhere here. I used to live in Cityplace, which is close to the harbourfront. It's a nice area, albeit busy and underdeveloped atm (there are currently some major redevelopment plans, tho, and more retail and etc. is just a matter of time). If you have questions about any particular neighbourhood I could try and answer them.

Good question. I've always been renting in places that were all inclusive, so I'm just learning this stuff now myself. My realtor quoted me $50-$60/mo for the studio locations I was looking at. One of the places I viewed had heat and hydro separate. It was a soft loft and you had to rent the heat pump, which was another $45/mo. So easily another hundred on top of rent. Plus of course cable/tv and whatever you want. Ask me again in a couple months, maybe, haha.

It depends, as Lexxism says. I'm currently in a house and using Teksavvy ($60/mo for 300GB but it's effectively unlimited, they don't even meter off peak hours, and it's 30Mb down and 10Mb up). If you're going into an apartment or condo, the building is probably pre-wired, and you can get package deals. When I was in Cityplace, my building was wired by Telus, and we had a package deal for $45/mo but that was a while ago and I can't remember the speeds/caps now.

edit - oh wait fiber internet, I missed that. I'm not on fiber currently.

I know Bell has a deal right now to get 150up/down and unlimited for $70/mo. There will always be deals or new customer packages and stuff if you shop around. You'll have to ask somebody else about that, or again, ask me again in a couple months. I'll see what my building offers when I move in.

I don't know much about phones. I have one out of necessity and don't use it much. I use Freedom Mobile, but I'm grandfathered on an original plan from when the company first started out as Wind, and their service was garbage. But that has worked to my benefit, as they're made huge improvements over the years, and I'm still paying $30/mo for unlimited text and calling nationwide (or in Wind zones, whatever they're called now) and unlimited data. Plus, when you travel to the states, your service is switched over to T-Mobile, which is a huge upgrade, hilariously. No idea if you can find anything like that now.

Toronto has two seasons, summer and winter. You will need to decide if you are Team Warm or Team Cold. Choose wisely.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks so much for all the advice guys! Looking forward to being one of you soon! Just need the work visa process to proceed smoothly. I'll probably have some more questions soon as the process continues to ramp up. Thanks again!

Deleted member 25709

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Buy your own bike, use bikeshare, take the TTC, and/or walk to get the best experience of the city.

2 hour TTC transfers for presto card users was just announced. Take advantage of it.

Last edited:

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
So, Toronto's under attack by Doug Ford, that petty, vindictive fuck that always hated the city:

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...il-to-25-councillors-from-47-sources-say.html

Mr. "Largest Consultations Ever" pulling a shit stunt like this three months before an election and hours before people who want to run need to file their papers? Fuck him.
Man, he can't let go of his time as a laughing stock/dope pusher in Etobicoke, can he? Petty revenge to swoop in and 'save Toronto from itself' when his changes cause chaos so he looks like the [greasy] hero.

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey there! :D

Im from England and im currently eyeing up an opportunity to study in Toronto for a year which is exciting! Wow I have so many questions about Toronto and Canada (never been yet) like I dont know where to start.

Just wondering, how is Toronto like for an international student?

Zip

Oct 28, 2017

Im from England and im currently eyeing up an opportunity to study in Toronto for a year which is exciting! Wow I have so many questions about Toronto and Canada (never been yet) like I dont know where to start.

Expensive. Otherwise not sure what you have in mind. I think people tend to like English accents around here so you'll have a nice time.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017

Get outta here, hoser!

jk ask us any questions :)

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017

Your accent will go over well, but your wallet is going to hurt.

aBathingApe

Jul 22, 2018
Hello Toronto-ERA! How's it going?

it's mr.rager from a site that shall be named. Just dropping by to check in and see how you all are doing. Hope all of you are doing good. Except for Team Summer.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

FWIW I'll have my undergraduate education in University of Toronto starting this September so I'll be able to give you first hand info then :p

But I hear amazing things.

It's pretty damn expensive for sure, but it's not as bad as most US schools (with international/out-of-state tuition)

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I'll have my undergraduate education in University of Toronto starting this September so I'll be able to give you first hand info then :p

But I hear amazing things.

It's pretty damn expensive for sure, but it's not as bad as most US schools (with international/out-of-state tuition)

Oh I forgot to mention it'd be a graduate (masters) course in 2019/2020, would have to start planning for now lol

Oh god, how expensive would it be? I know for international students they'd have to pay more than locals but in terms of just general living cost it would be quite expensive wouldn't it?

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't where you are from but yes the cost of living here is expensive. If you wanna see the cost of groceries etc. Try checking the flipp app or website and type a postal code of Toronto. Try comparing it to where you are coming from. That will give you an idea on how much it cost it here.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I forgot to mention it'd be a graduate (masters) course in 2019/2020, would have to start planning for now lol

Oh god, how expensive would it be? I know for international students they'd have to pay more than locals but in terms of just general living cost it would be quite expensive wouldn't it?
International students are fleeced by ontario universities from what I've learned from friends in the past.
Depending on the neighbourhood you live in, and the size of your place, you could end up paying a ton or paying a mderate. Living farther away from the downtown core/financial district helps.

Keeng

Nov 1, 2017

My girlfriend lived just off of Wellesley and Homewood/Church area and her one room apartment, with one window, on the ground floor of a building with no A/C and a water boiler for heat (that you can't control - think summer temperatures in winter and open windows at times), costs 988$ a month at the moment, all inclusive. If you're lucky, you too can have a U of T music student practice their cello playing at 2am in the apartment above you.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

If you're coming to UofT and are too lazy to try to find a student ghetto to live in near campus (and don't want to live off campus and commute), then just apply to Grad House. It's expensive, but at least you know it's not partying undergrads all the time and you have some semblance of privacy. lol