• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlphaTwo

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So yeah, back to the thing I wanted to talk about before all the drama: the Amazon HQ2 proposal. Holy shit, Toronto's bid is super strong, and I honestly am psyching myself up that we may actually get it, and even if we don't, that doc should just be our ad for everything: attract businesses, sporting events, etc.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, back to the thing I wanted to talk about before all the drama: the Amazon HQ2 proposal. Holy shit, Toronto's bid is super strong, and I honestly am psyching myself up that we may actually get it, and even if we don't, that doc should just be our ad for everything: attract businesses, sporting events, etc.
Where can I read these bids? Looks like most cities are promising very similar things though I won't lie Toronto/the GTA is probably top 5.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't want Toronto to become even more expensive if Amazon comes here.

AlphaTwo

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Where can I read these bids? Looks like most cities are promising very similar things though I won't lie Toronto/the GTA is probably top 5.
https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com/torontoglobal/TorontoRegionResponsetoAmazonHQ2RFP_PD.pdf

Page 50 and on is absolutely nuts. It's just potential after potential.

I just don't want Toronto to become even more expensive if Amazon comes here.
So the good thing about it, realistically, is that of all the options and sites, core Toronto is probably the worse choice of the lot. Realistically, the Vaughan, markham, Mississauga and Brampton are the best bet, so it in theory, won't drag up those prices.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Err.. is it? There are no articles I've come across that portray Toronto as a frontrunner, and it seems many publications are dismissing it based on lack of subsidies alone.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com/torontoglobal/TorontoRegionResponsetoAmazonHQ2RFP_PD.pdf

Page 50 and on is absolutely nuts. It's just potential after potential.

So the good thing about it, realistically, is that of all the options and sites, core Toronto is probably the worse choice of the lot. Realistically, the Vaughan, markham, Mississauga and Brampton are the best bet, so it in theory, won't drag up those prices.
Damn that looks good. I cringe to think of how much that proposal cost, though.

Oct 25, 2017
ItSTLf6.jpg

I went to a Leaf game last week. They won!

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
EvilMario

EvilMario

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The OT is being updated slowly. Any recommendations on what to add (or remove..), or something you want to contribute yourself, please let me know.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

AlphaTwo

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Err.. is it? There are no articles I've come across that portray Toronto as a frontrunner, and it seems many publications are dismissing it based on lack of subsidies alone.
Most articles are from US based sites who downplay the possibilities of outside US and the potential of both Canada and Mexico.

I forgot who it was but one even managed to list that Toronto had no universities.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
TEAM WARM AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Ma man.

For the OP mentioning the City Pass thing. Reminded me that this summer I have found a love for the Toronto Library. Especially if you live near a good one like I do. With a Toronto library card you can borrow a pass to enter places like the ROM, Science Centre, Toronto Zoo, Bata Shoe Museum (lol shoe museum) etc all for FREE! Passes are limited but such a great little program we have access too. Toronto Library do an amazing job for the city.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This forum is awesome. I didn't know where else to write this so I am going to put it down here. Thanks EvilMario for the work you put in to get Toronto here.

Quadratic

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Library do an amazing job for the city.

That's great to hear! Have you tried TPL's digital portals yet? It'll sound like an infomercial but TPL has streaming video/music (honestly a so-so collection with a viewege cap), Ebooks/Emagazines. Access to Lynda.com & great courses if you're into self learning. All with your library card membership for free.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, that looks amazing. Is it a chain? Seems like it would do well downtown.

From my understanding, the owners of Bamyan Kabab had a falling out years ago, and the guy's bro in law decided to open up his own place in Sauga. Watan is legit amazing, easily the best Afghani food I've had. Bamyan and another place called Pamier kabab (which has a location downtown) are also really good too though.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
From my understanding, the owners of Bamyan Kabab had a falling out years ago, and the guy's bro in law decided to open up his own place in Sauga. Watan is legit amazing, easily the best Afghani food I've had. Bamyan and another place called Pamier kabab (which has a location downtown) are also really good too though.
Maaan there are so many of these Afghan places now, it's nuts. Someone recommended a Kandahar Kabab to me yesterday, so I got that for dinner. It was a bit less expensive than Bamiyan (which is my usual haunt), but not quite as good imo.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maaan there are so many of these Afghan places now, it's nuts. Someone recommended a Kandahar Kabab to me yesterday, so I got that for dinner. It was a bit less expensive than Bamiyan (which is my usual haunt), but not quite as good imo.

Kandahar Kabab is on Dixie right? I've never been but Royal Jasmine and BBQ Tonite are in that same plaza. Both are EXTREMELY good, especially BBQ Tonite

Farooq

Oct 25, 2017
I was on #teamwinter, but this summer was pretty awesome and I made the switch to #teamwarm

Reasons for the switch. Reason the first, can do a lot more activities outside. Reason the second, you are not cold. Reason the third, if you happen to have your car die in the middle of a storm, you will not freeze to death. Reason the fourth, when a TTC driver inevitably closes the door in your face despite him seeing you running for the bus, it is not big deal to wait because it is summer and you can just enjoy the weather. If that were to happen in winter, I guess your only hope is to find a tauntaun that you kill to stay warm.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Kandahar Kabab is on Dixie right? I've never been but Royal Jasmine and BBQ Tonite are in that same plaza. Both are EXTREMELY good, especially BBQ Tonite
Not sure where the Sauga location is, I went to the one in Scarberia. I've been to BBQ Tonite before, it's a Pakistani place, right? Really enjoyed it.

zbon

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto!

I'll check out Pamier. I really gotta expand my kebab game beyond Lebanon Express, Ghazale, and Alibaba.

As an aside, has anyone been to Otto's Berlin Doner in Kensington? Any good?

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
As an aside, one of my favourite new food places in the city is Rhum Bar. It's a Haitian food place that I think is owned by the Black Hoof and it's pretty amazing.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Speaking of kababs, one thing that I really like is bihari beef kabab, and seems like hardly anyone makes it anymore. There's one place I know of in Sauga called Shamiana (Brittania / Mavis), and it's pretty good, albeit a bit on the pricey side, but I'm looking for other options! Particularly in the east end...

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll check out Pamier. I really gotta expand my kebab game beyond Lebanon Express, Ghazale, and Alibaba.

As an aside, has anyone been to Otto's Berlin Doner in Kensington? Any good?

Pamier's pretty great!

Speaking of kababs, one thing that I really like is bihari beef kabab, and seems like hardly anyone makes it anymore. There's one place I know of in Sauga called Shamiana (Brittania / Mavis), and it's pretty good, albeit a bit on the pricey side, but I'm looking for other options! Particularly in the east end...

Dude...how did you go to BBQ tonite and not get the bihari kabab? It is THE best thing I've eaten. Go ASAP and thank me later

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dude...how did you go to BBQ tonite and not get the bihari kabab? It is THE best thing I've eaten. Go ASAP and thank me later
Lol I don't think I've actually been there before. I just had takeout from them that someone else picked up. If I knew they served bihari I would've been all over it!