• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 13506

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Greetings. 1st post. I'm glad to be back, r/Toronto is awful haha.

I'm hoping to check out some new restaurants, so hopefully there will be lots of discerning impressions/reviews in here again. The earlier kebab recommendations sound great. I'd like to attend a meetup again too.

In the spirit of fresh starts, let me be very clear - it will be a nightmare if Doug wins the 2018 election, and Toronto can't let this happen. I have some opinions about the Kid Councilor too, but I want to try and stay positive this time around lol.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017

I'm hoping to check out some new restaurants, so hopefully there will be lots of discerning impressions/reviews in here again. The earlier kebab recommendations sound great. I'd like to attend a meetup again too.

In the spirit of fresh starts, let me be very clear - it will be a nightmare if Doug wins the 2018 election, and Toronto can't let this happen. I have some opinions about the Kid Councilor too, but I want to try and stay positive this time around lol.

If talking restaurants, I took my girlfriend to Mezes for her birthday a few days ago and it was awesome! Best Greek place I have been to.

MochiBoy

Oct 25, 2017

You should definitely check out Kinka Izakaya, Zakkushi, and Sansotei ramen if you're into Japanese food. Easily some of my favorite restaurants

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, so what are our chances of getting that Amazon headquarters? lol
And how much will it or won't it screw up Toronto?

Relevant article:
https://www.marketplace.org/2017/10/27/business/amazon-second-headquarters-canada
Allan Sloan, a Marketplace regular, stopped by to discuss why he thinks Amazon will set up shop north of the border. Below is an edited transcript.

David Brancaccio: Now some people have set up brackets like it's a March Madness competition or something Pensacola versus Mobile or something. And I got warm feelings toward just about every place on this Amazon list — some more than others. But you, Allan, already know who's going to win?

Allan Sloan: Toronto.

Brancaccio: Canada.

Sloan: That's a-boot where it is.

Brancaccio: Stop with the Canadian attempt. Now, why north of the border?

Sloan: Because Amazon said North America, it didn't say United States.

And Toronto's bid: https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com/torontoglobal/TorontoRegionResponsetoAmazonHQ2RFP_PD.pdf

I was interested in the former Amazon HQ2 thread so I hope that pops up sometime here too so I can read everyone's arguments (unless I missed it, which I will eventually find lol).

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Okay is something broken? Because I'm not seeing an image? Just [ img ], without the spaces.
Yeah. It's a known issue. The site is having problem using links from sites like imgur. The staff addressed it and actively looking to fix it
Hi! #tech team here. We have an important message about linking images on ResetEra to share with you.

As of this afternoon, many members have reported that their images are not displaying on the page. We have been investigating this problem and came to the conclusion that one of the major image hosting services, imgur.com, has enabled hot link protection on us. In other words, any image on imgur.com linked using HTTPS protocol will not display on ResetEra. It is still possible to use HTTP-based imgur.com image links, though we would like to advise against it as well, as theoretically speaking they could undermine existing security mechanisms on ResetEra. We are contacting imgur.com and trying to find out a solution to this problem now. Meanwhile, we recommend that members use other image hosting services, such as abload.de, to host their images. Thanks for your understanding.

Also, we installed and enabled a new image processing engine. Incorrectly displayed GIF files should be working now :)

Let us know if you are still having problems with images.

dluu13

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
One of the unofficial themes gets rid of the report button completely. I'll probably do that since I know I'll never report anything.

7rxDWYv.png

https://userstyles.org/styles/150229/reset-era-angelus-personal-edits

Ctrl+F Angelus and change it to your username under user highlighting. You can also pick another colour if you don't like the purple they chose. If you don't want to use the highlighting posts at all then just add /* before and */ after the highlight option like this.

I actually added a couple of lines to the user highlighting to have it put a coloured border around quotes when I'm quoted.

border-color: #197d07 !important;
border-width: 5px !important;

5jPPX7zl.png

I still need to find a better green colour for my own posts because I don't like the one I'm currently using.

Thanks for these. What do I need to type to change the colour inside the quote box instead of the border?

zbon

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto!

It might be wishful thinking, but I feel like Doug would have a very tough go against Tory. Tory is going to split the right vote, and I guess it just remains to be seen who else jumps into the race and what happens on the left. Anecdotally it seems to me that Tory has won over a lot of converts in his first term.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure a recent poll showed Tory winning decisively, though I'm not sure how accurate polls are.

Put me in the camp that has come around on Tory. Partially, at least. I've disagreed with tons of his decisions but I do appreciate how he's pushing for the DRL more than any mayor who has come before.

Doug Ford would be disastrous.

zbon

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto!
Pretty sure a recent poll showed Tory winning decisively, though I'm not sure how accurate polls are.

Put me in the camp that has come around on Tory. Partially, at least. I've disagreed with tons of his decisions but I do appreciate how he's pushing for the DRL more than any mayor who has come before.

Doug Ford would be disastrous.

I'm right there too: not a conventional Tory voter but willing to support him next election, especially if Doug was mounting a serious challenge. Just the thought of another round of rip-em-up-put-em-back-in bike lane battles....

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thanks for these. What do I need to type to change the colour inside the quote box instead of the border?
Do I look like a nerd to you to know these things? Seriously, I don't know.

If you want to get rid of the EDIT button since double clicking your message does the same thing add the following.

a.edit {
display: none;
}

I just put it with the code to hide the REPORT button to make it easier for me.

EDIT: Apparently I had a lot more on that line than I needed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13506

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
You should definitely check out Kinka Izakaya, Zakkushi, and Sansotei ramen if you're into Japanese food. Easily some of my favorite restaurants

Thanks, just googled those and they all look like great suggestions.

It might be wishful thinking, but I feel like Doug would have a very tough go against Tory. Tory is going to split the right vote, and I guess it just remains to be seen who else jumps into the race and what happens on the left. Anecdotally it seems to me that Tory has won over a lot of converts in his first term.

Let's hope this is the case. I voted for Tory, but I still can't make up my mind about him. His transit opinions are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Oct 25, 2017
I woke up today to three separate friends sending me a text photo of a Switch bundled with Mario Odyssey. Dayum. This thing is going to fly.

AlphaTwo

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hey guys, so what are our chances of getting that Amazon headquarters? lol
And how much will it or won't it screw up Toronto?

Relevant article:
https://www.marketplace.org/2017/10/27/business/amazon-second-headquarters-canada

And Toronto's bid: https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com/torontoglobal/TorontoRegionResponsetoAmazonHQ2RFP_PD.pdf

I was interested in the former Amazon HQ2 thread so I hope that pops up sometime here too so I can read everyone's arguments (unless I missed it, which I will eventually find lol).
I feel it's high IF Amazon is actually interested outside the US. The major competitor is realistically Boston and Chicago as major hubs. I don't feel Pittsburgh is strong enough with enough bodies to support the potential growth required.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
This college strike is some bullshit, after managing to get an internship in Brantford for January , this better not mess things up. Alberta is truly Superior

dluu13

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Do I look like a nerd to you to know these things? Seriously, I don't know.

If you want to get rid of the EDIT button since double clicking your message does the same thing add the following.

a.edit {
display: none;
}

I just put it with the code to hide the REPORT button to make it easier for me.

EDIT: Apparently I had a lot more on that line than I needed.
At least you seem to have more of an idea of how it works than I do :p
This college strike is some bullshit, after managing to get an internship in Brantford for January , this better not mess things up. Alberta is truly Superior
It somehow feels as if there has been a strike by something or other at universities/colleges for the past few years. I was a TA during their strikes and I took it as incentive to hurry up and graduate so I could get a real job.

And wow I can use different fonts

Repose

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope this strike doesn't end up with us having to retake courses next semester. This semester is supposed to be my last one. On the plus side, since I'm doing my coop work term at a college my work life has been pretty relaxing.

Deleted member 13506

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope this strike doesn't end up with us having to retake courses next semester. This semester is supposed to be my last one. On the plus side, since I'm doing my coop work term at a college my work life has been pretty relaxing.
is it a big deal if you only do 2/3 co-op terms then graduate early, i know you wont get the designation on your diploma or degree.

At least you seem to have more of an idea of how it works than I do :p

It somehow feels as if there has been a strike by something or other at universities/colleges for the past few years. I was a TA during their strikes and I took it as incentive to hurry up and graduate so I could get a real job.

And wow I can use different fonts
want to switch places?

Repose

Oct 25, 2017
is it a big deal if you only do 2/3 co-op terms then graduate early, i know you wont get the designation on your diploma or degree.
I can't personally say, but I've spoken to some people and most of them recommended that I should stay in my coop program until I finish my work terms then graduate out of the non-coop equivalent program. So that's what I'm doing. Seems like the the additional semesters are not really worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell the difference between Greek places on the Danforth, maybe because I only get souvlaki

Pantheon, Megas and Mezes are the 3 that I usually choose from

Pantheon has a server that belts out an epic OPA! when someone orders Saganaki though

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I got some BOGO coupons for South St. Burger in the mail recently so decided to give it a shot. I'd been there once before ages ago but barely remembered if it was any good or not.

I would probably put it on the same level as Five Guys, roughly. Not sure if I'd make it a regular routine to go there but easily worth it with those coupons at least. They do have a really eclectic selection of free toppings.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I just realized the Guns N Roses concert I'm going to on Monday is the same time as the TFC so I won't be able to watch it. At least it's the away leg. I can still go to the home match.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
So I know it's been out for a bit, but if anyone had any interest in horror movies/Guillermo del Toro/oddities, you should go check out the AGO exhibit. Did it today with my niece and it was so cool

Cripplegate

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
If anybody here likes whisky, it's worth checking out the LCBO popup on King St. I checked it out a couple days ago and generally liked it. They were supposed to have some exclusive products there but they're long gone, so as far as a shopping experience goes it's not exactly different from hitting any other LCBO with a Whisky Shop. But the tasting bar is a great experience, and provides a good resource whether you're a beginner looking for a crash course or wanting to explore something new. The tasting flights come in various categories (e.g. one for bourbon, one for scotch, etc.) and rotate weekly, and there are premium brands to taste as well. I finally got to try the Glenmorangie 18 and it was lit. The newly released Wiser's 35 was also available for tasting (but I didn't try it, had to tap out after the Glenmorangie). It's a good opportunity to sample a wide range of whiskies.

I was talking to the employees there and they said the location has been super popular now that it's focusing on whisky. The previous period was VQA wine, and apparently the store was a ghost town, lol.

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I can't tell the difference between Greek places on the Danforth, maybe because I only get souvlaki

Pantheon, Megas and Mezes are the 3 that I usually choose from

Pantheon has a server that belts out an epic OPA! when someone orders Saganaki though

Haha! My nieces love that guy with the mustache. Look him up on YT! Lots of videos there of him singing "Happy Birthday" to embarrassed people. :lol