• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilMario

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is a little dead, but fear not, my Toronto, friends. Ask anyone (or me) in this thread for a Discord link and you can find our still thriving community.

Live from the centre of the universe.. comes a community so divided.. so hot and cold.. that it can only be..

TORONTO |OT| A SONG OF ICE AND SUMMER

AvGJ6W0.png

Welcome to our community. We're a home for people in Toronto, the GTA and beyond, to connect, complain and converse. If you're moving to the area, vacationing, or just want to know more about the city, please feel free to drop by and ask questions!

We host numerous meetups throughout the year. They consist of pub crawling, arcades, Korean Fried Chicken, soji, karaoke and the occasional tournament, or give-away. If you're in the GTA, or even visiting, let us know! We've had guests from Vancouver to France. Anyone is welcome to join in!

Discord:

Related Threads:

Last edited:
OP
OP
EvilMario

EvilMario

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What to do in Toronto..

Toronto has plenty of attractions for those living here, and those visiting. The listings below are mostly recommendations by community members, but I will cover a few of the landmarks as well. If you have a recommendation, be sure to post in the thread letting us know. But please, write up a few sentences about why you recommend a place.

Landmarks, Museum and Tourist Traps:

CityPASS: For those looking to visit at least a few of the major tourist attractions in the city, the CityPASS is a must buy. Currently at $64, you'll want to see at least three attractions to make it worth your purchase. The attractions you can see with the pass are; CN Tower, Casa Loma, Ontario Sceince Centre, Royal Ontario Museum, and the Toronto Zoo. I would only actively avoid the Science Centre, which has really deteriorated over the years, and is a pretty poor kid's amusement centre now.

CN Tower [Downtown]: One of the tallest structures in the world at 1,815 ft tall, the CN Tower is the most defining part of Toronto's skyline. And it serves as a good point of reference if you're lost downtown. Riding up the tower is expensive, but it's more of a value if you've obtained a CityPass to see other landmarks as well.

Casa Loma [Midtown]: A Gothic Revival style house built by famous architect E.J. Lennox (who did plenty of other Toronto landmarks). There are tours, but I prefer to just wonder around exploring the house and gardens.

Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) [Downtown]: A museum focusing on world culture and natural history, the ROM has notable collections of dinosaurs fossils, Near Eastern and African art, East Asian art, European history, and Canadian history. The ROM recently underwent renovation/expansion, and now is one of the most instantly recognizable pieces of architecture in the city. New exhibits, and events run throughout the year.

Toronto Zoo [Scarborough]: One of the largest zoos in the world by both size at 287 hectares (710 acres), and animals at 16,000/400 species. It is divided into six zoogeographic regions: Indo-Malaya, Africa, Americas, Australasia, Eurasia and the Canadian Domain. It's located around a half hour outside of downtown for most people, but is accessible by both TTC and GO Transit.

St. Lawrence Market [Downtown]: A huge selection of specialty shops, delis, bakeries, fish and food in the south building, and a weekly Farmer's Market in the north building.

Bata Shoe Museum [Downtown]: Just as it sounds, this is a museum about footwear. They collect, study, preserve, and exhibit footwear from over 10,000 years ago to modern the modern day.

High Park [Bloor West/Roncy]: One of the largest and more 'rural' parks near downtown. A third of the park is made up of natural Oak Savannah / Prairie Grass ecosystem. There are a large number of trails, a gigantic fenced in off-leash section for dogs, sport fields/arenas, a petting zoo, playgrounds for kids, fishing on the west side and in late April/May, a large number of cherry blossoms.

THE SECTION IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND WILL BE ADDED TO IN THE COMING DAYS. IF YOU HAVE CONTRIBUTIONS YOU'D LIKE TO MAKE TO THIS THREAD, CONTACT EVILMARIO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EvilMario

EvilMario

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
db12bUa.gif

Now presenting.. the Wall of Shame, from a previous era.

joNY4ec.png

tt4xqCr.png

Last edited:

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, #TeamWinter, I dislike you all a lot. It's because of you that it's getting cold. a pox on you all, or at least soggy fries in your poutine

#TeamSummer forever!

Farooq

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, how about this weather huh? Those clowns in city hall did it again. Man, TTC *grumble gumble*. Pick up your litter people!

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I can't find the Canadian deals thread. Hmm. Otherwise this is exciting. Thanks to everyone for their hard work.