• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So, I recently moved into Toronto, but it seems they never updated the names for the property taxes on my place. I need to go into their office to do this, but I'm having the hardest time finding out where I actually need to go. Does anyone here know?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Mhee123

Oct 25, 2017
Sept 22 is LOCKED

Going to try and make the meetup thread (and not put it in the Video Games Section :V)

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, strongly considering flying out to Toronto with my GF for a week or week and a half in May 2019. Ticket prices are solid, I've heard generally good things so I thought why not.

Couple questions, aside from the OP do you guys think there are any must sees in the city? Your favorite breweries, bars or food? Favorite parks nearby? I assume public transportation is killer, is renting a car necessary? For that matter is there anything around the city worth driving to?

Any help is appreciated, I'll probably pop in here as I organize my plans over the next 9 months.

Deleted member 25709

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys, strongly considering flying out to Toronto with my GF for a week or week and a half in May 2019. Ticket prices are solid, I've heard generally good things so I thought why not.

Couple questions, aside from the OP do you guys think there are any must sees in the city? Your favorite breweries, bars or food? Favorite parks nearby? I assume public transportation is killer, is renting a car necessary? For that matter is there anything around the city worth driving to?

Any help is appreciated, I'll probably pop in here as I organize my plans over the next 9 months.

Public transportation isn't as bad as you think it is and is actually the best way to get around the city especially in downtown Toronto. As a tourist, you'd want to explore as much as possible in the shortest amount of time without being stuck in traffic so there's really no better way doing so. Part of what makes Toronto is in fact the TTC system just like how one can't imagine NYC without the MTA subway system and its yellow taxi cabs. It's difficult to say you've experienced what its like being in Toronto without riding on the 510 Spadina or the 504 King Streetcar, and the Yonge or Bloor subway lines. The TTC now has 2 hour transfers with a Presto Card so you can do unlimited travel anywhere across the city for $3.00 CAD within a 2 hour time frame. In addition, both of you can try out bikeshare along with the TTC to maximize getting around.

Toronto is also about its diversity and what better way to experience the many cultures than through food. Hit up Chinatown, Kensington Market, the Annex/Koreatown, Scarborough to get a feel of some of Toronto's diverse areas and tasty food. For a bar, maybe try Bar Raval. I've never been there but i heard its good and it also has great interior architecture.

If shopping at malls is part of your thing, you can go to Eaton Centre, Yorkdale, or Scarborough Town Centre.

Check out ripleys aquarium and the waterfront too.

Edit: I'm now realizing that you might have meant killer in a positive way. Forgive me if I took what you said wrong lol.

Last edited:

dluu13

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Though people complain a lot about the ttc, it's really not that bad in my experience. In over a year of almost daily use, I have only experienced a couple of major delays. In fact, my hour commute to and from work is consistent down to a couple of minutes.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017

I agree with others, the transit is not that bad. A bit expensive, but it works most of the time and gets you many places.

You can visit Toronto Island for dirt cheap ferry prices, which is very close to the subway line. It's a neat park, there are some not-so-great beaches (including a nude one) should you so choose, and you get an awesome view of the Toronto skyline. Nice for an afternoon thing. There are also Toronto Botanical Gardens which take a little longer to get to from the downtown core but are good for an afternoon. They're not attractions, but you can take a stroll through and have dinner in the Kensington Market and Distillery District neighborhoods. I like El Catrin in the Distillery District especially.

Haven't been, but Ripley's Aquarium is an attraction you'll see a lot of people cite. Eaton Centre is a large mall you can hit up for shopping. If you're into galleries, there's also the AGO, which is free Wednesday's 6-9PM. If you rent a car for a day or take busses/train, you can visit Niagara Falls for a day, which is totally doable and worth it given you're already here IMO.

I'm not a big bar guy, but Amsterdam is a neat bar that sits along the lakeshore. People seem to like the Steam Whistle Brewery and Mill St. Brewery here but I've never been and am not a big beer guy.

There's a looot of different food places, hard to just pick a few and also depends on budget/cuisine. In general, blogto.com is your friend for obsessively curated lists of the best food and events going on for the specific days you will be there.

Slide in my DMs whenever you have questions breh breh

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Though people complain a lot about the ttc, it's really not that bad in my experience. In over a year of almost daily use, I have only experienced a couple of major delays. In fact, my hour commute to and from work is consistent down to a couple of minutes.
The subway is just way over capacity and they're pretty much at their limit unless they go full automation and are able to basically have trains that are perfectly timed. But I don't think that'll happen any time soon so... they just need more lines, which are more fantasy at this point. lol

Mhee123

Oct 25, 2017
Rollcall for the Meetup. Is everyone going or am I going to be at a Esports bar Alone.....

yakuza2thumb-1530891895991.jpg

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Also, what are your favorite breweries and coffee spots in Toronto? I love drinking and drinking coffee.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also, what are your favorite breweries and coffee spots in Toronto? I love drinking and drinking coffee.

Enjoy your trip to Toronto. I've bolded my fav spots below

Breweries
-As far as breweries go, we don't have much outside of the various beer breweries in Toronto. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to beers and I'm not a fan of many expressions we have here(Bellwoods brewery had a beer that I liked though quite a bit). Liberty Commons Big Rock Brewery is also a nice one.

-If you want something super touristy you can check out "Spirit of York" in the Distillery District, however I don't like any of their offerings tbh(fantastic bottle design though).

-If you want some killer Rum, Yongehurst distillery sells some great Rum(however there's no seating area and they are only open weekends. Also they only accept cash these days).

-If you don't want a brewery and want a ton of things on Tap your best bet is going to the Liberty Village area of Toronto. They have tons of bars with massive tap lists. In particular "The Craft Brasserie & Grille" is my favorite

In terms of Coffee:
-Rialto Coffee(formerly known as Milano Coffee) is my favorite spot for coffee personally. It's also good if you plan on hanging on the eastern part of the Queen West strip

Good coffee chains with multiple locations around Toronto
-Pilot Coffee
-Dark Horse Coffee(their Spadina location is quite spacious and has a nice vibe to it)
-Sam James Coffee Bar(there stores are more like a pop up with no real seating area)

Places to go for coffee that have other good stuff
-Le Gourmand is a nice cafe place to sit and their chocolate chip cookies are frigging fantastic
-The Black Camel makes the best god dam beef brisket sandwich in Toronto. Going there used to be a weekly tradition on one of my old teams at work. We'd go at least once a week and grab beef brisket sandwich and cup of coffee.

Deleted member 47559

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Awesome pictures.

How was Nuit Blanche in Scarborough last night? Gotta say I was pretty underwhelmed by the Downtown portion.

Deleted member 13506

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Last photos of Toronto for a while since I'm moving overseas for a few months

Neon Nights by Carl Sim, on Flickr

2018-09-29 08.26.51 1 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

2018-09-29 12.59.53 1 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

The colour in your pictures is always amazing. Great work.

Awesome pictures.

How was Nuit Blanche in Scarborough last night? Gotta say I was pretty underwhelmed by the Downtown portion.

Not sure about Scarborough, but I agree that Downtown was underwhelming. It's too bad because there still seems to be a pretty huge turnout, and it's a cool vibe. Just needs some more content next year. I remember 5 or 6 years back there was a mobile rave driving from Kensington/Spadina area toward the Eaton Centre with hundreds of people following behind dancing. Good times.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
The colour in your pictures is always amazing. Great work.

Not sure about Scarborough, but I agree that Downtown was underwhelming. It's too bad because there still seems to be a pretty huge turnout, and it's a cool vibe. Just needs some more content next year. I remember 5 or 6 years back there was a mobile rave driving from Kensington/Spadina area toward the Eaton Centre with hundreds of people following behind dancing. Good times.
I've only every found the things put on at Bell Lightbox for nuit blanche to be interesting. Like the year they have a zombie movie film mashup playing on loop. Otherwise, most installations have been underwhelming in my experience.