• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
So I came back from Korea for the holidays and went to Dundas Square. Is it just me or are there a LOT more homeless there now? I swear it wasn't like that 3 months ago when I left.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I came back from Korea for the holidays and went to Dundas Square. Is it just me or are there a LOT more homeless there now? I swear it wasn't like that 3 months ago when I left.

People will tell you "no it's the same as 15 years ago." but that is simply not true.

Areas has gotten more shittier in the past 10 years or so.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's been a car parked on my street for about a year now.
Abandoned, gets tickets every day but they disappear so not sure about that.

What can I do? It takes up a parking spot.

My options?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If you want to break the law you can steal the license plates and it'll be towed away.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Did my good deed yesterday. While heading to the grocery store a kid about 12 was walking his tiny dog and for some reason dropped the leash. The dog noticed and yelled "FREEDOM!" and took off towards me. The kid panicked and started chasing after. At first I thought the dog was just running up to me to say hi, but at the last second he juked and ran past me. I turned and dove and managed to grab the leash before he got away. Banged my knee into the sidewalk in the process so I'm sore right now.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Mr.-Freeze-Batman-and-Robin.jpg

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
Long drive last night.

Going to see how long it takes me this morning. The wind is just howling right now.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently many portions of Mississauga, Brampton, etc. are a mess this morning, nevermind the parts of the city near water for the lake effect

Stay safe, TorontoERA

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully the ttc seems to be working fine. The subway at least. Bus obviously slower, but subway took usual time for my commute from eglinton to union.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My dumb ass keeps forgetting to leave to cold tap on overnight, it's on a wall in a basement apartment so of course it froze. Attending to it now.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Gehry's Design for Toronto's New, Tallest Towers Moving Forward, Says Developer

Gehry-Design-Toronto-New-Tallest-Tower-02.jpg

The biggest project of Frank Gehry's career is moving ahead in his hometown of Toronto—and reaching new heights for the architect and for the city.

Known as Mirvish + Gehry, the mixed-use complex reached a milestone in January when developers submitted a final version of the scheme for city approval. It features a pair of irregularly shaped towers that dance their way up to 1,079 and 990 feet tall.

The project was launched in 2012 by David Mirvish, a theater producer and art collector whose father, retailer Ed Mirvish (a longtime friend of Gehry's), began acquiring the downtown property half a century ago. David Mirvish's initial proposal for three towers faced vocal opposition from city planners for its density in this crowded area and because it would have meant demolishing the 2,000-seat Princess of Wales Theatre. After Mirvish reduced the project to two towers and agreed to save the theater, he won city approval in 2014. Mirvish sold the development to Great Gulf and its partners Westdale Properties and Dream corporation in 2017.

If completed, the 1.84 million-square-foot complex would be the largest and the tallest Gehry has built so far, substantially taller than his Spruce Street tower in New York, which is 890 feet high. The two buildings, 91 and 81 stories respectively, will have a dominant place in the skyline—edging out a planned Foster & Partners tower called the One, slated for completion in 2022, and the 1975 First Canada Place office tower by Edward Durell Stone—to become the tallest buildings in Toronto.

Luxury condos will occupy the bulk of the towers, along with a 209-room hotel in the west tower. The development also includes a theater, studios, and classrooms for OCAD University's (formerly the Ontario College of Art and Design) visual-arts program, and retail space. David Nam, a partner at Gehry Partners who is overseeing the project, compares it to Rockefeller Center in its scale and variety of uses.

Oct 25, 2017
NINETY-ONE STORIES?
Bother that nonsense.

The condos will be infested with AirBnBs, and I'm going to bet the elevators will be out of service 6 months out of every year.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
NINETY-ONE STORIES?
Bother that nonsense.

The condos will be infested with AirBnBs, and I'm going to bet the elevators will be out of service 6 months out of every year.
91 stories isn't the big problem. The last thing the city needs is more luxury condos that will be inaccessible to most of the people who actually want to live in the city. The price tag on those condos will be.

Oct 25, 2017
Why would be the elevators out every 6 months? Is that how bad the Airbnb's customers?
I was exaggerating on the 6 months, sorry. I've read stories about a certain condo complex that has both the AirBNB problem and a problem with the elevators, and my brain immediately linked this story to it. Not to mention it can take forever to get up to a tall building if even one of the elevators is out of order, and nobody needs to live on the 91st story.

91 stories isn't the big problem. The last thing the city needs is more luxury condos that will be inaccessible to most of the people who actually want to live in the city. The price tag on those condos will be.
Seriously. Luxury condos are like shopping malls in the 50s.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. More unaffordable condos that will undoubtedly be filled with AirBnb.

Instead of you know, apartment buildings so people who live in the city can have a place to live that is not ridiculously priced.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. More unaffordable condos that will undoubtedly be filled with AirBnb.

Instead of you know, apartment buildings so people who live in the city can have a place to live that is not ridiculously priced.
Only the super rich deserve to live downtown near the banks and across the street from Roy Thomson Hall mirite?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The downtown Toronto of the future is just going to be people living in condos taking Ubers to the outskirts of the city because there's nothing to do downtown.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
A few blocks away the Well development includes a few hundred units of purpose built rental.

thewell_res_stats_jan2019-jpg.169688

It's also a wild construction site

kot_3436-jpg.174053