• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

nagoshi-1_5qrj.jpg

IGN Japan recently spoke with Toshihiro Nagoshi of SEGA regarding the possibility of the Yakuza series on Nintendo Switch and the possibility of any characters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Here are some extracts from the interview:​

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IGN: Is there a possibility that the Ryu ga Gotoku series will appear on the Nintendo Switch platform?

Nagoshi: I haven't considered it at this time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IGN: Sega and Atlus characters such as Sonic and Joker have appeared in Dairantou Smash Bros. SPECIAL, is it possible that Kiryu and Majima will also someday?

Nagoshi: Mr. Sakurai would not want them (laughs). It is all right if he said. But he does not want, maybe.

Last edited:

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Maybe Yakuza fans need to accept Kiryu will never be in a fighting game...unless you count Mugen if he's in it.
Or they just make one.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
For all the goofy antics they get into, Kiryu and Majima are human beings who live human lives. They're not thieves who steal people's "hearts" from their subconscious, legendary green-capped heroes, or professional hovercar pilots. They're two dudes who are fairly competent at hand-to-hand combat. They're better suited to the zaniness of Tekken than Smash Bros.

Snake was already pushing it, but at least he comes from a series with wacky villains like Psycho Mantis, Solidus Snake, and Revolver Ocelot. He fights gigantic nuke-launching submersible mechs. There's a precedent for sci-fi wackiness there that Yakuza lacks.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Maybe some should realize a failure on WiiU doesn't mean the same on the Switch at all, as the audience on switch is healthy compared to the toxic one the WiiU got.

But hey, that's their call, I just don't see why a yakuza game wouldn't do well on switch.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Does anyone else think it's weird that all these big companies keep coming out saying "yep, our character isn't in Smash?" I guess that's what all the interviewers want to know, but it feels like our expectations for the Fighters Pass gets narrower every time.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
These boys aren't in the business of jumping around although that would look hilarious. Tekken already has crime syndicates for them to crush and honestly this is on Harada.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really shocking that the normally safe Nintendo wouldn't want characters from a game about the yakuza in their star fighting game.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
For all the goofy antics they get into, Kiryu and Majima are human beings who live human lives. They're not thieves who steal people's "hearts" from their subconscious, legendary green-capped heroes, or professional hovercar pilots. They're two dudes who are fairly competent at hand-to-hand combat.
doesn't sound very far removed from Little Mac

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so he said at the switch reveal event that he is considering something and now he is not considering anymore. cool.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
No Yak on Switch? Not that surprising but still... wasted potential for not doing it
I dunno, they could bring over 0-5 or Fist of the North Star but... I'm not seeing a Dragon Engine game running on Switch, so what's the point? It would be building an audience and then doing nothing with them.

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
It's not really shocking that the normally safe Nintendo wouldn't want characters from a game about the yakuza in their star fighting game.

I mean they already have a demonic S&M Witch, and Nintendo seems less conservative than they used to be.
You just have to remove blood and make the character rated E10+ which shouldn't be too difficult with Kiryu (don't let him smoke, don't take off his jacket to reveal yakuza tattoos, etc.)

For all the goofy antics they get into, Kiryu and Majima are human beings who live human lives. They're not thieves who steal people's "hearts" from their subconscious, legendary green-capped heroes, or professional hovercar pilots. They're two dudes who are fairly competent at hand-to-hand combat. They're better suited to the zaniness of Tekken than Smash Bros.
I totally agree that Tekken is a much better fit. But If a character that just does yoga and areobics exercises can be in smash (not hating on Wii Fit Trainer btw) then a Yakuza character can be in smash.

In all likelihood it doesn't have a chance of happening unless we get a "Smash Infinite" with well over 100 characters.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
so he said at the switch reveal event that he is considering something and now he is not considering anymore. cool.
There's more in Nagoshi's wheelhouse than Yakuza. Like his best selling game: Super Monkey Ball.

Nagoshi is CCO at SEGA. He was there as a SEGA rep. Just because was there doesn't mean Yakuza on Switch is a done deal.
Well, except the the part where he expressed a personal desire to make Switch games.

I dunno, they could bring over 0-5 or Fist of the North Star but... I'm not seeing a Dragon Engine game running on Switch, so what's the point? It would be building an audience and then doing nothing with them.
I think argument for Yakuza Switch ports is solid. Like you say it could run 0, 1K and 3-5 no sweat, then later they could start porting the DE games (2K, 6, Shin, etc) to it's successor (Switch Pro, Switch 2, whatever). Growing your audience is never a bad move.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018

Snake was already pushing it, but at least he comes from a series with wacky villains like Psycho Mantis, Solidus Snake, and Revolver Ocelot. He fights gigantic nuke-launching submersible mechs. There's a precedent for sci-fi wackiness there that Yakuza lacks.
Wii fit trainer says hi

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying that Yakuza isn't wacky enough?
1*UUGjflR5KIy8kaBY9IOBXA.gif

P1etgQa.gif

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Disappointed that Taki's case only get a passing reference to. That would deserve some additional explanation.
Also why is the reporter considering Smash before Tekken for Kiryu? That's absurd

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Well, except the the part where he expressed a personal desire to make Switch games.
He said that he thinks the platform is appealing for creators such as himself because of the features. He didn't say anything about him wanting to develop a Switch game, only talking about SEGA supporting the platform.

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed that Taki's case only get a passing reference to. That would deserve some additional explanation.
Also why is the reporter considering Smash before Tekken for Kiryu? That's absurd
Don't see what else to say really.

Japan hates drugs and people hate people who enables them. Thus it resulted in them removing him from the game to avoid backlash and boycotts from the public. Just like every company in Japan that hired Taki.

Not everyone in Japan thinks this mind you but it is common enough for them to have to act. It sucks but nothing they can do.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Are you saying that Yakuza isn't wacky enough?
It's more of a Tekken kind of wacky. The main plots of the Yakuza games take themselves pretty seriously. It's the side stories where shit gets zany.

Even the pretty ludicrous stuff that happens in FotNS: Lost Paradise is reserved for side-stories. The main plot is, as far as FotNS is concerned, pretty tame.
doesn't sound very far removed from Little Mac
Punch Out!! is a series about a scrawny schmuck who boxes gigantic ethnic and cultural stereotypes. The core game is completely bonkers. Little Mac has always been a perfect fit for Smash.
Hmmm, except all the Yakuza games
Yakuza isn't a fighting game. It's a brawler.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Punch Out!! is a series about a scrawny schmuck who boxes gigantic ethnic and cultural stereotypes. The core game is completely bonkers. Little Mac has always been a perfect fit for Smash.
it's just super weird to claim any character is or isn't a "perfect fit" for Smash when Smash's roster is so insanely diverse and pulled from such a wide variety of games

this is a game where a murderous space dragon can fight a cartoon hunting dog

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

It's debatable. I mean, Little Mac is there. Kiryu definitely fight more impressive threats. Honestly, Kiryu just seem as strong as Ryu and Ken for me. Sure he has no mystic power, but he's as strong as an alien, no one in real life can do the stuff he does. Yakuza is weird as fuck sometimes lol

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
it's just super weird to claim any character is or isn't a "perfect fit" for Smash when Smash's roster is so insanely diverse and pulled from such a wide variety of games

this is a game where a murderous space dragon can fight a cartoon hunting dog
The space murder dragon and cartoon hunting dog are, by their nature, pretty silly characters.

Two hardened members of the Yakuza are tonally very different from those two characters. Snake's wackier escapades happen as a core part of his games, while Kiryu and Majima's are the result of side stories, not the main plot.
It's debatable. I mean, Little Mac is there. Kiryu definitely fight more impressive threats. Honestly, Kiryu just seem as strong as Ryu and Ken for me. Sure he has no mystic power, but he's as strong as an alien, no one in real life can do the stuff he does. Yakuza is weird as fuck sometimes lol
Whether they could compete or not was never in question. It's Smash Bros; anyone could feasibly be made into a competitive character. The question is, do they tonally fit?

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I don't get Kiryu is too realistic arguments, when Wii Fit Trainer is in the game. She's a fucking fitness coach and yet she's more wacky than a Ex-Yakuza member.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Misleading ass title yo

We don't know my boy Sakurai's opinions till he says them. Dude loves tons of games